• filter:

How to close Inside prepaid card?

• Page :
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
Voting History
rated:
I have an Inside prepaid card with the “Pay As You Go” plan. My question is, does anybody know how to close my card? 

I have read many reviews about the company online and some people say that when they called the customer service number and said they want to to close their card, the customer service representative refused to give a confirmation of the closure of the card. Which makes sense because they have this inactivity fee after 90 days of inactivity so it’s against their interest to close someone’s card. However, Terms & Conditions clearly say that customers can close their cards any time.

I only have a few dollars left on my card and I don’t care if I don’t get them (many people said that they hardly ever send a check with the remaining balance after closing the card) but I want to have an actual confirmation that I did close the card. What is the best way to do it? Calling them or writing an email or do both? If I write an email that I want to close my card, what information should I include in the email? What do I have to do with the card after I close the card?

Thanks for answering my questions!

Member Summary
Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

rated:
I meant to say Insight Card, sorry.

rated:
Spend the remaining funds. Call. Say you want to close it.

rated:
The Insight Card charges a fee each time you call customer service.

Doctor of Credit review with comments by other people - Insight Card References to axiom checking are outdated. All the same are you referring to axiom checking card or Republic Bank card? The savings account is now handled by Republic Bank.

I would go to Insight Card webste page and transfer out any money you have there.

Ways to communicate with the Insight Card customer service

Republic Bank version Terms and Conditions

Axiom_Bank version terms and conditions

rated:
Prepaid cards aren't known for excellent customer service. I would just use the card balance up on purchases (get it as close to zero as possible) then forget about it. It's not a checking account or credit card, so I don't see how they can report you to a credit bureau or Chex. I doubt they can bill you for monthly fees after the balance gets to zero and you tossed out the card.

I had a free prepaid BBVA card. Once they informed me there will be a monthly fee, I charged the balance down to three cents and tossed it. BBVA took the three cents and that was it.

rated:
$3.95 inactivity fee each 90 days. I do NOT know what they do for negative balance accounts. Possible negative balance/overdraft fees too.

rated:
JW10 said:   The Insight Card charges a fee each time you call customer service.

https://www.doctorofcredit.com/insight-5-apy-prepaid-card-5000/#The_Fine_Print References to axiom checking are outdated. All the same are you referring to axiom checking card or Republic Bank card? The savings account is now handled by Republic Bank.

I would go to Insight Card webste page and transfer out any money you have there.

https://www.insightcards.com/contact-us/ 

Republic Bank version Terms and Conditions 

Axiom_Bank version terms and conditions

The Republic Bank version Terms and Conditions applies to my card. My card is called Insight Prepaid Card (Pay As You Go plan). There is no monthly fee. But it costs $1 to talk to a customer service representative over the phone. People are on hold for 30-40 minutes and sometimes get disconnected for no reason and they still have to pay for the fee. 

rated:
burgerwars said:   Prepaid cards aren't known for excellent customer service. I would just use the card balance up on purchases (get it as close to zero as possible) then forget about it. It's not a checking account or credit card, so I don't see how they can report you to a credit bureau or Chex. I doubt they can bill you for monthly fees after the balance gets to zero and you tossed out the card.

I had a free prepaid BBVA card. Once they informed me there will be a monthly fee, I charged the balance down to three cents and tossed it. BBVA took the three cents and that was it.

There is no monthly fee for this card. I left $4.50 on my card because it costs $1 to speak to a customer service representative (rip off, I know!), people are on hold for at least 30-40 minutes and they have to pay the fee even if they get disconnected, which is not uncommon. So to even call them that I want to close the card, I need $1 (or more if my call gets disconnected and I have to call back).

Also, I'm not sure if I can just toss out the card because Terms and Conditions say that the card may be cancelled, revoked, repossessed at any time and people must surrender a revoked or expired card. 

rated:
Send a letter?

rated:
JW10 said:   $3.95 inactivity fee each 90 days. I do NOT know what they do for negative balance accounts. Possible negative balance/overdraft fees too.
  These are the Terms and Conditions: 
https://www.insightcards.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/republic...

"Unless you have elected Overdraft Protection as a feature of your Card, you may not use your Card to make a purchase in excess of your Available Balance. If for any reason a purchase or fee occurs that exceeds the value on the Card (creating a “Negative Balance”), you authorize us to automatically deduct any Negative Balance amount payable to us from any funds added to your Card at any time. Any negative balance is due and payable immediately. We reserve the right to cancel your Card should you create one or more Negative Balances."

So this means that they cancel cards if they go to negative. I don't have overdraft protection btw, so the only way my card could go to negative if they refused to close my card and charge an inactivity fee after 90 days. 

I have $4.50 on my card. I left this amount there because it costs $1 to call to a customer service rep over the phone and I have to call them and tell them that I want to close the card. If the call gets disconnected, they still charge $1. So it costs me at least $1 to close my card.

rated:
scrouds said:   Send a letter?

I was thinking about that too.... Probably the best way is to call them AND send an email AND send a letter. They do have a phone number, mailing address, and email address available: https://www.insightcards.com/contact-us/

But here is the thing, what information should I write in the email and the letter? My name, address, phone number, email address, my card number and that I want to close the card? 

rated:
cinnamonbun1 said:   JW10 said:   $3.95 inactivity fee each 90 days. I do NOT know what they do for negative balance accounts. Possible negative balance/overdraft fees too.
  These are the Terms and Conditions: 
https://www.insightcards.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/republic...

"Unless you have elected Overdraft Protection as a feature of your Card, you may not use your Card to make a purchase in excess of your Available Balance. If for any reason a purchase or fee occurs that exceeds the value on the Card (creating a “Negative Balance”), you authorize us to automatically deduct any Negative Balance amount payable to us from any funds added to your Card at any time. Any negative balance is due and payable immediately. We reserve the right to cancel your Card should you create one or more Negative Balances."

So this means that they cancel cards if they go to negative. I don't have overdraft protection btw, so the only way my card could go to negative if they refused to close my card and charge an inactivity fee after 90 days. 

I have $4.50 on my card. I left this amount there because it costs $1 to call to a customer service rep over the phone and I have to call them and tell them that I want to close the card. If the call gets disconnected, they still charge $1. So it costs me at least $1 to close my card.

So if they cancel the card if things go negative, that should be it. Nothing in the TOS about sending Bubba over to your house every few months to collect an inactivity fee from an account going negative because of inactivity fees.

rated:
Use your inside card to buy breakfast at McDonald's $3.99 + tax for a sausage egg mcgriddle, and you are done, period, finished!

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017