• filter:

Hanover insurance group - any experiences?

• Page :
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
Voting History
rated:
Has anyone had any personal experiences with Hanover Insurance Group? My agent is wanting me to switch over to them for premium savings and has advised they are great in claims situations. JD Power ranks them for #1 in claims on homeowners, but not so well on auto claims. Everything I read online is awful, but of course it's mostly just complaints for any companies. Currently live in NJ and have Travelers Insurance for auto/home/umbrella. I don't want to bother saving $100 to switch everything, unless there really is a difference in claims satisfaction. 

Thanks in advance. 

Member Summary
Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

rated:
I had them 12 years ago (auto/home) because the insurance broker recommended them. The rates stayed pretty flat for 3-4 years, but then they dropped home insurance once year, so I just switched. No claims so no experience in that sense.

rated:
I've had them for 14 years. My only experience is them taking the premium. No experience with claims - auto or home or rental or umbrella.

A year or two ago they came and inspected the house from the outside and increased the structure amount I need to insure. I asked my broker about other options and he found Hanover had a new package with lower premiums but you pay up front for one year - it lowered my premiums.

They were twitchy on the trigger for the rental.  Cancelled my policy because it was rented out - even though I pay for a line item called "rented to others".  Broker stepped in and restored coverage.

Their rates are the lowest I can find.

rated:
I wouldn't switch everything for $100 savings.  I'd jump if it was just Auto or just Homeowners for $100... but everything... not worth it. Especially with variability of Homeowners, they do the inspection, determine they want your house insured for more than the original quote, or want you to do specific repairs to be covered, etc.

rated:
In NJ? Do you qualify for NJ Manufacturers?

rated:
I had an auto liability claim earlier this year (their insured rear-ended my car so clear cut ins claim) and their adjuster never returned my calls.  They'd be the last one on my list to get the insurance from.  I recently switched from AllState to Ameriprise (Costco discount)...their weird policy is to give them full SSN to be able to manage the policy online.  They claimed that full SSN is required for the Patriot act and I told them that Patriot act does not apply to auto ins policies. 

rated:
ach1199 said:   I had an auto liability claim earlier this year (their insured rear-ended my car so clear cut ins claim) and their adjuster never returned my calls.  They'd be the last one on my list to get the insurance from.  I recently switched from AllState to Ameriprise (Costco discount)...their weird policy is to give them full SSN to be able to manage the policy online.  They claimed that full SSN is required for the Patriot act and I told them that Patriot act does not apply to auto ins policies. 
  Did you mean Ameriprise wanted the full SSN? 
Probably to run a credit check?

rated:
FW10001 said:   
ach1199 said:   I had an auto liability claim earlier this year (their insured rear-ended my car so clear cut ins claim) and their adjuster never returned my calls.  They'd be the last one on my list to get the insurance from.  I recently switched from AllState to Ameriprise (Costco discount)...their weird policy is to give them full SSN to be able to manage the policy online.  They claimed that full SSN is required for the Patriot act and I told them that Patriot act does not apply to auto ins policies. 
  Did you mean Ameriprise wanted the full SSN? 
Probably to run a credit check?

Yes, Ameriprise requires full SSN...they don't run credit check as it's only requires if you want to manage your policy online.  If you don't want that feature then they don't need the SSN.  As I said, they claim that the SSN is required for the Patriot Act and I told them that the Patriot Act doesn't apply to insurance policies.  You can do things like print ID cards, make payment without having online access but to add/delete vehicle, add/delete drivers, address change etc requires online access which you can't get unless you register it with full SSN.

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017