• filter:

IRS lost my Certified Mail they signed for

• Page :
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
Voting History
rated:
So I sent in my tax return with money orders via USPS certified mail I have a copy of the signature from the San Fran office April 20. Got a letter saying they got the tax return in August and no payment made. Now being charged penalties and fines. Called the number on the letter and the guy was useless. He couldn't tell me anything other than that. Didn't have a number for me to call SF and didn't even have access to the records to see if the package was signed for. Tracked the money orders and they were never cashed. Any suggestion? Do I need a lawyer?
Thanks for any time you can give towards this.

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
I don't even drive to the bank anymore for my MO deposits. That ended last year when I found some solid mobile banks.

Stubtify (Sep. 13, 2017 @ 12:17p) |

MS by buying a car.

b534202 (Sep. 13, 2017 @ 5:40p) |

If there's only 2 banks within walking distance, and you don't have a car, I suspect you're not msing much

imbatman (Sep. 13, 2017 @ 6:23p) |

Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

rated:
Wow paid your taxes with a money order.

rated:
That certified receipt is your get out of jail free card, at least for failure to file penalties. So send them a copy of the return and a new check, and ask the MO issuer for a refund once the IRS matter is settled. Respond to the address in the notice they sent you. There's usually a checkbox for "I don't agree with the revised return" and a space for an explanation.

rated:
TravelerMSY said:   That certified receipt is your get out of jail free card, at least for failure to file penalties. So send them a copy of the return and a new check, and ask the MO issuer for a refund once the IRS matter is settled. Respond to the address in the notice they sent you. There's usually a checkbox for "I don't agree with the revised return" and a space for an explanation.
  Doesnt sound like they lost the certified mail, it's that they lost the check that was included in the envelope.  They arent disputing receiving the tax return itself.

OP, consider the possibility that you did forget to include the payment before mailing the return.  Regardless, have they assessed any penalties yet?  If not, pay right now.  If they have, pay the amount due, and include a polite letter requesting the penalties be waived due to the check being lost in transit (yes, a moneyorder is just a type of check).  You can easily request a replacement for the moneyorder, but dont wait for that to settle up with the IRS.

rated:
OP should have noticed the money orders weren't cashed in months ago. It only takes a few days for IRS to cash checks/money orders when they receive them.

rated:
avalon6 said:   OP should have noticed the money orders weren't cashed in months ago. 
 There's no automatic notification of cashing of money orders. When you buy money orders, you don't supply contact info ...

rated:
rufflesinc said:   
avalon6 said:   OP should have noticed the money orders weren't cashed in months ago. 
 There's no automatic notification of cashing of money orders. When you buy money orders, you don't supply contact info ...

Correct. However, at least for MG MO, there is a phone number you can call to see what the money order status is, so that does help in at least figuring it out. Unsure about WU MOs, but imagine similar.

rated:
Pay the IRS in a traceable way!

Long ago I sent in a return and some months later get a notice asking for payment of the money the return showed I owed. Oops--there was a check in with the return. Check the bank's website, cashed. Took 6 months and sending the IRS copies of both sides of the check before they would admit I had paid them the money.

rated:
LorenPechtel said:   Pay the IRS in a traceable way!

Long ago I sent in a return and some months later get a notice asking for payment of the money the return showed I owed. Oops--there was a check in with the return. Check the bank's website, cashed. Took 6 months and sending the IRS copies of both sides of the check before they would admit I had paid them the money.

Dude was probably trying to MS his payment.

rated:
msmsmsable said:   

But that's not MS, he could have just deposited the MO in his bank and written a check. 

rated:
Stubtify said:   msmsmsable said:   

But that's not MS, he could have just deposited the MO in his bank and written a check. 

Sometimes you have deposited too much in your bank(s) and need another deposit outlet.

Come on. Don't be a rookie.

rated:
IRS once sent me a bill for tax and penalties saying they received my return but not my payment. I told them I included a check for payment. Apparently it turned up because they sent me a letter a couple months later saying the issue was resolved and the check was eventually cashed.

rated:
Not a rookie. The IRS is not a deposit outlet.

rated:
BostonOne said:   IRS once sent me a bill for tax and penalties saying they received my return but not my payment. I told them I included a check for payment. Apparently it turned up because they sent me a letter a couple months later saying the issue was resolved and the check was eventually cashed.

I had the exact same thing happen a few years back.  This is probably what happened to OP.  Payment and return got separated upon receipt.

rated:
Stubtify said:   Not a rookie. The IRS is not a deposit outlet.
Anyone who takes a check for anything is a deposit outlet!  

rated:
DTASFAB said:   
Stubtify said:   Not a rookie. The IRS is not a deposit outlet.
Anyone who takes a check for anything is a deposit outlet!  

Ok I'll give you that. Even once I've exhausted all of those I still wouldn't send a MO to the IRS.

rated:
full35 said:   Stubtify said:   msmsmsable said:   

Sometimes you have deposited too much in your bank(s) and need another deposit outlet.

There are thousands of banks. You're a rookie if you worry about losing one.

rated:
imbatman said:   
full35 said:   
Stubtify said:   
msmsmsable said:   

Hmmmmmm there are at least 12 banks within one mile walking distance of my apartment, some with multiple branches in that radius.  What if there were only two and I don't have a car?

rated:
imbatman said:   full35 said:   Stubtify said:   msmsmsable said:   

How many bank accounts do you have? You are obviously the rookie because at a certain point you will be declined due to chek systems.

rated:
I don't even drive to the bank anymore for my MO deposits. That ended last year when I found some solid mobile banks.

rated:
DTASFAB said:   
imbatman said:   
full35 said:   
Stubtify said:   
msmsmsable said:   

Hmmmmmm there are at least 12 banks within one mile walking distance of my apartment, some with multiple branches in that radius.  What if there were only two and I don't have a car?

MS by buying a car.

rated:
DTASFAB said:   imbatman said:   
full35 said:   
Stubtify said:   
msmsmsable said:   

If there's only 2 banks within walking distance, and you don't have a car, I suspect you're not msing much

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017