• filter:

Loophole in Home depot 11% price match, up to 100% back!

• Page :
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
Voting History
rated:

Proof (3.55MB)
Disclaimer
Found out through trial and error the minimum gift card value they send out is $1 no matter how little you spend.  Must make purchases in store so scalability may be an issue.

http://www.homedepotrebates11percent.com/#/home 

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
In CA, gift cards under $10 can be redeemed for cash.

Just saying.

MrSamsung (Sep. 13, 2017 @ 3:49p) |

The problem is this deal only works where there's a Home Depot Menards close together, typically only in the Midwest.

mastroadam (Sep. 14, 2017 @ 2:00p) |

time for a newman mailtruck run?

rufflesinc (Sep. 14, 2017 @ 2:01p) |

Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

rated:
For those out of the loop, Home Depot is currently offering an 11% rebate on purchases at select stores (pdf list) to match the normal 11% rebate that Menards provides. 

rated:
use self check out?

rated:
Also the site has major security flaws (no captcha, receipt numbers are sequential first quartet is store number, second register, third transaction number). I won't discuss this further though.

rated:
mastroadam said:   Also the site has major security flaws (no captcha, receipt numbers are sequential first quartet is store number, second register, third transaction number). I won't discuss this further though.
 When I submitted HD paint rebates for the past three years or so, I don't recall doing captchas.  you're not performing a transaction

rated:
mastroadam said:   Also the site has major security flaws (no captcha, receipt numbers are sequential first quartet is store number, second register, third transaction number). I won't discuss this further though.

Wow... that is more than a major flaw.

rated:
mastroadam said:   Found out through trial and error the minimum gift card value they send out is $1 no matter how little you spend.  Must make purchases in store so scalability may be an issue.

http://www.homedepotrebates11percent.com/#/home 

You're going to apply 1500 $1 gift cards to that new refrigerator?

rated:
Does not pass the burrito test.

rated:
ZenNUTS said:   Does not pass the burrito test.
  What is the burrito test?

rated:
sredni said:   ZenNUTS said:   Does not pass the burrito test.What is the burrito test?It's actually the "Chipotle burrito test." If the savings are less than the cost of a Chipotle burrito, then the deal isn't worth discussing or taking advantage of.

I suppose you could buy a bunch of cheap items, IIRC there's a limit to the number of GCs that can be redeemed in one transaction.

rated:
Considering there used to be a thread on here about which credit cards forgave under a dollar balance, I think this is useful information.  Also the security issue is potentially much more lucrative info, although that's crossing a legal boundary in my opinion.

rated:
mastroadam said:   Considering there used to be a thread on here about which credit cards forgave under a dollar balance, I think this is useful information.  Also the security issue is potentially much more lucrative info, although that's crossing a legal boundary in my opinion.
  There's a difference between using your cards to buy a pack of gum and going into HD, buying something, going BACK and asking for a price match of under a dollar and waiting for the Card to come in the  mail.

rated:
forbin4040 said:   
mastroadam said:   Considering there used to be a thread on here about which credit cards forgave under a dollar balance, I think this is useful information.  Also the security issue is potentially much more lucrative info, although that's crossing a legal boundary in my opinion.
  There's a difference between using your cards to buy a pack of gum and going into HD, buying something, going BACK and asking for a price match of under a dollar and waiting for the Card to come in the  mail.

Use play money for new play money. Price match had no bearing in this case.

rated:
I think scaling this to a very high level would cross a similar boundary. At some point it's no different than a hacker skimming 10 cents off millions of accounts. Your fate would ultimately be decided on how quickly they caught on and shut it down. Better in the long run for you if that happens sooner.

rated:
scripta said:   sredni said:   ZenNUTS said:   Does not pass the burrito test.What is the burrito test?It's actually the "Chipotle burrito test." If the savings are less than the cost of a Chipotle burrito, then the deal isn't worth discussing or taking advantage of.

I suppose you could buy a bunch of cheap items, IIRC there's a limit to the number of GCs that can be redeemed in one transaction.

At 5th and mission a chipotle burrito is $12 plus tax.

rated:
ritoninja said:   scripta said:   sredni said:   ZenNUTS said:   Does not pass the burrito test.What is the burrito test?It's actually the "Chipotle burrito test." If the savings are less than the cost of a Chipotle burrito, then the deal isn't worth discussing or taking advantage of.

At 5th and mission a chipotle burrito is $12 plus tax.

And tip

rated:
  I guess they have not learned the lessons from Lowe's.

http://www.nj.com/ocean/index.ssf/2017/08/brick_couple_exploited...

rated:
I have had to resubmit for legit 11% back, and that was a PIA (I assume they are playing the rebate game). I can't imagine doing it for $1.

rated:
ArmchairQB said:   I have had to resubmit for legit 11% back, and that was a PIA (I assume they are playing the rebate game). I can't imagine doing it for $1.
  I've never had an issue using the site, if you have google auto-fill it take less than a minute.

rated:
I need to buy a few cinder blocks... maybe I will buy them individually and try this... but more for the game of it... too much of a pain to be serious about it.

rated:
I don't understand. So if you buy a nail for 5 cents, you get $1 back?

rated:
If you can find a competitor who sells the exact nail...

rated:
forbin4040 said:   If you can find a competitor who sells the exact nail...
  Is that the case?  The Menards deal is a blanket 11% rebate on anything*... I would think HD would do the same.

rated:
In CA, gift cards under $10 can be redeemed for cash.

Just saying.

rated:
MrSamsung said:   In CA, gift cards under $10 can be redeemed for cash.
Just saying.

The problem is this deal only works where there's a Home Depot Menards close together, typically only in the Midwest.

rated:
mastroadam said:   
MrSamsung said:   In CA, gift cards under $10 can be redeemed for cash.
Just saying.

The problem is this deal only works where there's a Home Depot Menards close together, typically only in the Midwest.

time for a newman mailtruck run?

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017