Voting History
rated:
Equifax is waiving credit freeze fees (usually $10+) done by October 11th

http://www.freeze.equifax.com/Freeze/jsp/SFF_PersonalIDInfo.jsp

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
They use TU and sometimes EX.

althes (Sep. 19, 2017 @ 7:10a) |

System Currently Unavailable - Error 500 We're sorry. We cannot process your security freeze request online at thi... (more)

JiggleTheHandle (Sep. 19, 2017 @ 3:41p) |

Yep.  Try back in the middle of the night (or some other off-hour).

vquasarv (Sep. 19, 2017 @ 3:47p) |

Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

rated:
tuskers said:   Equifax is waiving credit freeze fees (usually $10+) done by October 11th

http://www.freeze.equifax.com/Freeze/jsp/SFF_PersonalIDInfo.jsp

Thanks!  Gave it a shot, and site didn't come up . . .
So I went directly to equifax and that crashed too . . .   "can't process . . . right now"

Looks like IT is getting their just deserts?

rated:
Actually depending upon your state of residence some people wont pay a dime for a freeze or a lesser amount

rated:
For NJ residents, its zero $ to file and $5 to lift it. I don't know if EFX will remove/waive that fee as well.

rated:
So are we all identity theft victims so we will not have to pay the $10 fee to all the credit agencies. I am in California which says we have to pay $10 unless we are an identity theft victim. I understand equifax has no choice but to give it free but what about the other two?

https://www.oag.ca.gov/idtheft/facts/freeze-your-credit

rated:
Hurry! Limited time to give up your right to sue us!

rated:
Luniz97 said:   So are we all identity theft victims so we will not have to pay the $10 fee to all the credit agencies. I am in California which says we have to pay $10 unless we are an identity theft victim. I understand equifax has no choice but to give it free but what about the other two?

I doubt the other two will give it for free.  They are going to cash in on this!

rated:
Luniz97 said:   So are we all identity theft victims so we will not have to pay the $10 fee to all the credit agencies. I am in California which says we have to pay $10 unless we are an identity theft victim. I understand equifax has no choice but to give it free but what about the other two?

But if your Identity was stolen from Equifax (Which everyone was), doesn't that count as a victim of Identity theft?

rated:
Good short term fix, but everyone who's affected will have to deal with the issue ANYTIME they need to borrow money.

At the very least, the government should force them to provide free fraud alert for life for everyone affected and ideally, a call or text message every time credit is checked.

rated:
speedracer714 said:   Good short term fix, but everyone who's affected will have to deal with the issue ANYTIME they need to borrow money.

At the very least, the government should force them to provide free fraud alert for life for everyone affected and ideally, a call or text message every time credit is checked.

Credit is checked DAILY, that's how they make money.  That's a lot of texts.

rated:
We are currently unable to service your request.

Please try again later.

rated:
forbin4040 said:   
  But if your Identity was stolen from Equifax (Which everyone was), doesn't that count as a victim of Identity theft?

As logical as that would sound, you pretty much have to have evidence of someone applying for credit or using your identity in another proven way to be recognized as identity theft victim. That will require a police report supported by that evidence. Until then, it's a bit like if somebody found your lost checkbook and does not return it. It's not fraud until they actually try to write a check in your name. You have to prove some kind of damage was done to you.

But you're right that after this breach, it's probably more a matter of when rather than if. So it'd make sense to get rid of those fees across all states. Equifax ever charging people fees for freezing/lifting the very information they helped leak by their incompetence is a bit hard to swallow.  

rated:
I can't even get their main site to load right now.

rated:
Does that mean after October 11 they will charge to unfreeze?

This should be a lifetime freeze/lock at no charge, mandated by federal law for all 3 bureaus. It's the only effective solution to protect us from fraud.

rated:
Yeah I haven't had any luck checking if I was affected or even initiating a credit freeze with Equifax or Transunion. Crashes each time I try.

rated:
same here.

rated:
Your Security Freeze request has been processed!

https://www.freeze.equifax.com/Freeze/Freeze.htm
Same site to unlock?

rated:
Don't know if I'm screwing myself but I'm freezing my credit at all 4 bureaus.

rated:
forbin4040 said:   

Sure, just provide your Police Report for Identity Theft, and it is free at all 4 bureaus.

rated:
4? I thought there are only 3

rated:
Luniz97 said:   4? I thought there are only 3
  Equifax, Experian, Transunion and Innovis?

rated:
Innovis is the lesser known one, making 4.

rated:
gremln007 said:   Innovis is the lesser known one, making 4.
  least known one

rated:
nitesurfer said:   
  Equifax, Experian, Transunion and Innovis?

There's also stuff like ChexSystems, EWS (Early Warning Systems) and Lexus-Nexus.  It doesn't end.

rated:
So discover gives free Experian reporting..I think chase also gives one. Do you think its good enough to just have two different companies like that send me alerts or a freeze is a must?

rated:
Are you planning to do any new Credit Cards or Loans in the next 90 days? If not, then a freeze is highly recommended.

rated:
ArmchairArchitect said:   Does that mean after October 11 they will charge to unfreeze?

anyone knows ?

rated:
burgerwars said:   
nitesurfer said:   
  Equifax, Experian, Transunion and Innovis?

There's also stuff like ChexSystems, EWS (Early Warning Systems) and Lexus-Nexus.  It doesn't end.

True, although those are not credit reporting agencies.  There used to be a thread here that documented all of the agencies keeping track of everyone, and how to get a free annual disclosure of your own file.

rated:
MeraNamJoker said:   
ArmchairArchitect said:   Does that mean after October 11 they will charge to unfreeze?

anyone knows ?

ow quickly do they unfreeze? which big banks only use Equifax? 

rated:
Absurd.  Got this .. however it appears the freeze was indeed put into effect.  But I was not given the PIN # to lift it when/if I need to.  Amazing.
System Currently Unavailable - Error 500 We're sorry. We cannot process your security freeze request online at this time. Please try back later.
To make a security freeze request with the other national consumer credit reporting agencies, please contact Experian and TransUnion: 
Experian, P.O Box 9554, Allen, TX 75013 (888)397-3742
TransUnion, www.transunion.com ,P.O. Box 2000, Chester, PA 19016 (888)909-8872

Thank you for giving Equifax the opportunity to assist you.

rated:
needhelpplease said:   
MeraNamJoker said:   

anyone knows ?

ow quickly do they unfreeze? which big banks only use Equifax? 

1) Takes 3 - 4 days if I remember right
2) Lots of banks, but no one has an exhaustive list.

rated:
Does anyone know which credit company does Synchrony Bank use for its Credit Card applications?

rated:
They use TU and sometimes EX.

rated:
System Currently Unavailable - Error 500 We're sorry. We cannot process your security freeze request online at this time. Please try back later.

Thank you for giving Equifax the opportunity to assist you.

Equifax Information Services, LLC

rated:
Yep.  Try back in the middle of the night (or some other off-hour).

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017