• filter:

ACTIVATE Fourth Quarter Chase Freedom 2017 quarterly 5% categories on Freedom website

• Page :
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
Voting History
rated:
Fourth Quarter Chase Freedom 2017 quarterly 5% categories on Freedom website
Department Stores
Walmart

Activation Link
https://creditcards.chase.com/freedom/activate 

Moderator Comment: This thread is mirrored to these forums: HOT DEALS, DEAL DISCUSSION, FINANCE, FINANCE. — Sep. 21, 2017 @ 1:24pm
Member Summary

Chase 5% Freedom card (13.29kB)
Thanks JW10
Disclaimer
Most Recent Posts
I am Prime. So are you  saying if I buy a Amazon card from Amazon gift card store it is discounted 5%?

jfgary (Sep. 16, 2017 @ 11:13a) |

True, but Discover Card had 6 months of that this year (Jan - June).

fw9999 (Sep. 16, 2017 @ 6:05p) |

No, there is an Amazon prime credit card (can be used at Amazon only) that gives you 5% cash back year round.

S197 (Sep. 16, 2017 @ 9:12p) |

The "Walmart" category does not include merchants operating within or on Walmart premises such as merchants that sell fast food, beauty services, and gas stations that are not Walmart branded. Walmart affiliate businesses such as Sam's Club are excluded and will not earn bonus rewards. Please see https://creditcards.chase.com/freedom/merchants for merchants included and merchants not included in the Walmart Category. For more information, please see Chase Freedom Frequently Asked Questions. Visit walmart.com to find the location nearest you
===========
Walmart Category Inclusions
Walmart Discount Stores
Walmart SuperCenters
Walmart Neighborhood Markets
www.walmart.comopens overlay
Walmart branded gas stations operated by Walmart

Walmart Category Exclusions
 Non-Walmart merchants operating within or on Walmart premises including merchants that sell fast food, beauty services, and gas stations that are not Walmart branded
Walmart affiliated merchants including Sam’s Club
============

The Department Store category does not include supercenters, discount stores or specialty stores (i.e. stores that sell primarily one line of products such as shoe stores, pet stores, electronics stores, clothing stores); if a merchant is not on the list, you will not earn bonus rewards. Department Store gift card purchases outside of the specific Department Store are excluded and will not earn bonus rewards. Please see https://creditcards.chase.com/freedom/merchants/ for merchants included and merchants not included in the Department Store category. For more information, please visit chase.com/freedom and click on the “View Chase Freedom FAQs” link at the bottom of the page.

Department Stores
JCPenney®
Kohl's®
Macy's®
Nordstrom and Nordstrom Rack
Sears®
Barney’s
Baskins®
Bealls
Beiter’s
Belk
Bergdorf Goodman
The Big Store
Bloomingdale's
Bon-Ton®, including
Bergner's®
Boston Store®
Carson's®
Elder-Beerman®
Herbergers®
PARISIAN
Younkers®
Boscov's
Burke's®
Cayman's®
Cee & Cee Department Store
Cook Brothers
Dillard's
Flemington Department Store
Getz's®
Gumps
Jeffery
Joe Brand
Loehmann’s
Lord & Taylor
Magic Mart
Neiman Marcus and NM Last Call
RH Renny
Saks Fifth Ave and Off 5th
Shopko
Von Maur®
Weaver’s Store
==============

Merchants Not Classified as Department Stores:
Target
Kmart
Discount stores such as Tj Maxx
Electronics stores
General merchandise and Variety stores
Gift cards purchased at any locations other than the department stores on the inclusion list

Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

rated:
if used a payment for united mileplusx app, does chase freedom code as the same merchant type as the gift card purchase? Would be a great way to triple dipp

rated:
This sucks. I guess I'll have to buy third party GCs from Wally World.

rated:
If they feel they must have a category that's been decimated by closed locations, like "Department Stores", it would be nice if they also added a third category.

rated:
wanted charities

Didn't they used to throw that into 4Q a few years ago?

Guess I throw onto opening spend requirements instead.

rated:
No Amazon? Damn.

rated:
Krazen1211 said:   No Amazon? Damn.
  Walmart must be paying chase to keep AMZN out. 

rated:
Not clear what they consider department store, also this wording is confusing

Department Store gift card purchases outside of the specific Department Store are excluded and will not earn bonus rewards.

rated:
ZenNUTS said:   This sucks. I guess I'll have to buy third party GCs from Wally World.
  Can you purchase visa/MC gift cards with credit card at WM?

rated:
  Discovercard has 5% Amazon in the 4th quarter.

rated:
So Chase Freedom went from six months of club stores (Costco) at 5% last year, to zero months this year.

rated:
ZenNUTS said:   Not clear what they consider department store, also this wording is confusing

Department Store gift card purchases outside of the specific Department Store are excluded and will not earn bonus rewards.

I think it means that buying a Macy's gift card at CVS or a supermarket will not count towards the 5%.

rated:
ctujackbauer said:   So Chase Freedom went from six months of club stores (Costco) at 5% last year, to zero months this year.
At least can still use Walmart gift cards at Sams Club for a 5% discount there.

rated:
MilleniumBuc said:   
ctujackbauer said:   So Chase Freedom went from six months of club stores (Costco) at 5% last year, to zero months this year.
At least can still use Walmart gift cards at Sams Club for a 5% discount there.

And at the Walmart Gas pumps for that matter.

rated:
Target isn't a department store? What the?

https://creditcards.chase.com/freedom/merchants/
Department Stores 
JCPenney ®
Kohl's ®
Macy's ®
Nordstrom and Nordstrom Rack 
Sears ®
Barney’s
Baskins®
Bealls

Beiter’s
Belk
Bergdorf Goodman
The Big Store
Bloomingdale's 
Bon-Ton ®, including
Bergner's®
Boston Store®
Carson's®
Elder-Beerman ®
Herbergers ®
PARISIAN
Younkers®
Boscov's
Burke's®
Cayman's®
Cee & Cee Department Store
Cook Brothers
Dillard's
Flemington Department Store
Getz's®
Gumps
Jeffery
Joe Brand
Loehmann’s
Lord & Taylor
Magic Mart
Neiman Marcus and NM Last Call
RH Renny
Saks Fifth Ave and Off 5th
Shopko 
Von Maur®
 Weaver’s Store 

Merchants Not Classified as Department Stores: 
Target 
Kmart 
Discount stores such as Tj Maxx 
Electronics stores
General merchandise and Variety stores
 Gift cards purchased at any locations other than the department stores on the inclusion list 

Walmart Category Inclusions 
Walmart Discount Stores
Walmart SuperCenters
Walmart Neighborhood Markets
www.walmart.com
 Walmart branded gas stations operated by Walmart 

Walmart Category Exclusions 
Non-Walmart merchants operating within or on Walmart premises including merchants that sell fast food, beauty services, and gas stations that are not Walmart branded
 Walmart affiliated merchants including Sam’s Club

rated:
noapathy said:   Target isn't a department store? What the?
  Target has never been a traditional dept store

rated:
rufflesinc said:   
  Target has never been a traditional dept store

What is it then? I am truly confused. Sounds like marketing nonsense. They include Walfart supercenters, so it can't be that Target sells groceries...

rated:
noapathy said:   rufflesinc said:   

What is it then? I am truly confused. Sounds like marketing nonsense. They include Walfart supercenters, so it can't be that Target sells groceries...

There's nothing inconsistent about their definition of department store. They just added Walmart as an additional category

rated:
rufflesinc said:   
noapathy said:   
rufflesinc said:   

What is it then? I am truly confused. Sounds like marketing nonsense. They include Walfart supercenters, so it can't be that Target sells groceries...

There's nothing inconsistent about their definition of department store. They just added Walmart as an additional category

Ummm...OK.
de·part·ment store
noun: department store; plural noun: department stores

1. a large store stocking many varieties of goods in different departments

edit: whatever, someone please let us know if buying non-walmarrt gift cards works

rated:
Target is considered a 'discount store'.

rated:
Buying gift cards at Walmart or department stores will likely count for 5%. The Sam's Club loophole (via gift cards from Wal-Mart) is a sufficient situation so club shoppers should be pretty happy. I think a free 90 day program is still possible this Fall at Sam's Club (must activate by mid November), TBD.

I am glad that Chase went different than Discover even if the categories are tougher to use. Department stores are a difficult bunch, but interesting for the holiday season. For example, Kohl's will not entice its own Capital One co-branded card shoppers during key shopping seasons like BF where a 5% discount will be useful to stack. Or the random 30 or 40 percent discount codes valid with any payment type.

I hear the complaints on Target, but the merchants who should be mad though are the treasure hunt stores (Burlingtons, Ross companies and Marshall companies). Since Chase is including outlets of Nordstroms, Saks, etc., those are the chains that have a legitimate gripe of not getting in the mix.

Chase also indicates Wal-Mart is not a sponsor of the program. As other have seen Chase has relaunched Freedom 5% so it is not going away for the 1.5% card as some thought. However, Chase really needs to up their game on bonus categories.

Rasheed

rated:
Fine Point from Member Summary taken from the Chase Freedom 5% calendar and activation link.

Walmart affiliate businesses such as Sam's Club are excluded and will not earn bonus rewards

Source Material:
https://creditcards.chase.com/freedom/merchants 

rated:
Right, you have to do the two step and get Walmart GC to use at Sam's.

rated:
  If you are Prime, get the Amazon Store Card which gives you 5% year round.

rated:
You can buy GC at Walmart and use them at Sam's Club.

rated:
gt2982a said:   
  If you are Prime, get the Amazon Store Card which gives you 5% year round.

I am Prime. So are you  saying if I buy a Amazon card from Amazon gift card store it is discounted 5%?

rated:
True, but Discover Card had 6 months of that this year (Jan - June).  

rated:
jfgary said:   
gt2982a said:   
  If you are Prime, get the Amazon Store Card which gives you 5% year round.

I am Prime. So are you  saying if I buy a Amazon card from Amazon gift card store it is discounted 5%?

No, there is an Amazon prime credit card (can be used at Amazon only) that gives you 5% cash back year round. 

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017