WARNING: Scottrade eCheck

Archived From: Finance
  • Text Only
Like you said, I have ever used it twice, so what do you think the worst consequnce I will suffer. Thanks. I have pretty much done what they suggested.

happyactivetrader said: [Q]The only way anyone could have gotten your info is if you actually used the e-check feature. I dont think your info would have been compromised if you merely signed up for the service. You actually have to physically go into the site and enter all the info that they are saying may have gotten compromised (dl #, name, address, etc). I wouldnt worry about it if you never actually used it.

In case you haven't re-visited the Scottrade security page, there's an update as of 11/28:[Q]...As an update on the situation, there is no evidence that our customers' information was actually accessed or taken from TROY Group. We know that an unauthorized person accessed TROY Group's server, but based on the information it received, Scottrade could not determine whether the file with Scottrade's customer information was opened or taken. Since we were unable to make this determination, we decided to notify our customers about the potential misuse of their information so they could make the decisions that are right for them...

http://biz.yahoo.com/bw/051025/256272.html?.v=1
From this article, it is difficult to determine which company's information was taken from the Troy Group.
http://phx.corporate-ir.net/phoenix.zhtml?c=92208&p=irol-newsArticle&t=Regular&id=79495&
And from this article, it looks like Troy Group does business with so many other companies. Why have the others not come out and warn their customers? Here is something else to think about. Equifax is one of their customers. Would Equifax have all kinds of information as sensitive as Scottrade, or not?
Who are some of the other Troy Group customers?

As my understanding only eCheck hacked other company seem use different ACH format dman eCheck ask too many information that is why attrack hacker. ameritrade only need bank info to set up deposit. You really need to close the bank linked to echeck. serious!

I visited my local Scottrade today. According to the branch manager, so far no Scottrade customer has reported any suspicious activity on their bank accounts.

that's because it's practically impossible to act on their loot so quickly! plus whoever got in is in the business of stealing information, and probably not in the business of stealing money or identities. they have to sell their info to someone else. and it takes time!

and all of you asking for 1 year of credit monitoring and thinking it is enough are just being silly. it will not save you! if the person(s) chose(s) to use this information, it will take time to process and set up. they might not act on it until years from now.

adityanm said: [Q] As I said, I am not scared and am not doing anything new. I always check all my online accounts at least once every day for any unauthorized transactions. If I find anything suspicious I will report immediately. That is all.

I just had a chat with the branch manager of the bank that I used to fund my Scottrade account via eCheck. His advice was identical to adityanm's.

hmm.. I received the letter although I never signed up for eCheck. Anybody else experience this?

ever since they got hacked i cant access MY ACCOUNT -> Account History

Can anyone confirm this?

guzzini said: [Q]ever since they got hacked i cant access MY ACCOUNT -> Account History

Can anyone confirm this?

I can access it but it is very slow and shows no transactions. I suspect this is a temporary site problem (perhaps weekend processing). I used this portion of the site yesterday to update my Money software with the interest credited November 30. Also, Scottrade's servers were not breached, it was a third-party provider that was infiltrated.

guzzini said: [Q]ever since they got hacked i cant access MY ACCOUNT -> Account History

Can anyone confirm this?
THEY DIDN'T "GET HACKED."

Is echeck funding back available yet?

johto said: [Q]Is echeck funding back available yet?

No, only wire transfer and mailing in a check.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017