• filter:
  • 1343344345346 347
  • Page
  • Previous 40
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
rated:
Hi guys,  A question about garage doors.
I've got to replace 2 single width doors.  My HOA has to approve before I can buy them.

The question is, any of you self installed the Pella doors from Lowes?

It looks like some of the clopay doors from Home Depot have a "safe" torsion spring winder, whereas the ones from Lowes mention no such thing.
I'd be afraid to try to regular torsion springs as they can kill, but the ohter I might attempt.

However, the cheapest good looking ones from HD are around $700 and the ones comparable from Lowes are around $400.

Just curious if anyone knows about those springs,...A   and B, anyone have good or bad experience with the Pella brand from Lowes, and would strongly recommend another affordable door?

I was hoping to keep BOTH doors installed under $1500 bucks, but that may be a stretch.
Lowes says they install for $199 each, but I'm wondering if that's so basic of a price, that it will almost certainly run over for something extra or additional.

rated:
RhizzleBop said:   Hi guys,  A question about garage doors.
I've got to replace 2 single width doors.  My HOA has to approve before I can buy them.

The question is, any of you self installed the Pella doors from Lowes

It looks like some of the clopay doors from Home Depot have a "safe" torsion spring winder, whereas the ones from Lowes mention no such thing.
I'd be afraid to try to regular torsion springs as they can kill, but the ohter I might attempt.

However, the cheapest good looking ones from HD are around $700 and the ones comparable from Lowes are around $400.

Just curious if anyone knows about those springs,...A   and B, anyone have good or bad experience with the Pella brand from Lowes, and would strongly recommend another affordable door?

I was hoping to keep BOTH doors installed under $1500 bucks, but that may be a stretch.
Lowes says they install for $199 each, but I'm wondering if that's so basic of a price, that it will almost certainly run over for something extra or additional.

I have installed the one's from home depot.  It's like putting together an erector set.   Don't try re-using the existing rails.  I tried that once, and they didn't fit right...they look like they'll fit, but don't.  It takes two people, so make sure you have a friend there to help.

rated:
I've never done it, but from what I've read and heard, the danger is overblown as long as you aren't a retard.

rated:
OK. Here's my pathetic story.

All in Arizona, in the Phoenix burbs...

Back in 2007, the wife and I got married and we bought a house. We had planned to sell her old house, and keep my paid-off condo. As you're likely aware, the market tanked, and we made the decision to ride it out, and accepted a short-term rental at her old house that eventually turned into an 8+ year rental to a family.

We had never wanted to be landlords, but here we were. They spent about 7.5 years being "bad but slightly less bad than kicking them out and hoping the next people weren't too bad". Rent was perpetually late, but always showed up. We lack expertise and the temperament for dealing with it, and should have turned it over to a property management company immediately, but we just rolled with it.

By the beginning of this year, they had lost their jobs and the checks stopped, and the games began. After we were sure the checks would never come, and we began to fear for the state of the house itself, we FINALLY got one of the large property management companies to take it over for us. They processed the eviction, got an award for the full back rent and eviction.

About 40 days ago, the Sheriff showed up and evicted them, locked them out, and the keys were left for the property management company.

In the days that followed, the renters broke in a few times, took some of their belongings, but left an entire house full of junk in the garage -- and (by one bloated estimate) nearly $2000 worth of hauling and basic cleanup...before anyone even gets to repairing torn down doors and dry wall and the place where they tore up carpet and ham-handed laid laminate in an upstairs bedroom?!?

We've gone with a HUGE national PM company, but they can't tell us if notice was properly given for the tenant's belongings. One call got returned with "I think they should have notice, because of the eviction" but that certainly wasn't enough for us. Now repeated call after call after call to the PM company goes to voicemail.

...at the same time, I have no indication who should begin to collect upon the judgement already in place for them -- one that's going to grow by leaps and bounds as the house is furnished. I suspect they're judgement proof, but that doesn't mean I won't try if I'm supposed to.

Maybe the long and short of this is: I hired a PM company too late. Now they're not returning my calls or emails, and my house is sitting un-rentable and un-repairable because of the sheer volume of junk left behind. Now what?

rated:
Hire an attorney or debt collector if you want to collect on the judgment if you think there are assets. If not, be sure the judgment is recorded property in the courts and reported to all credit bureaus (check with the clerk of the court if judgments are reported or if you have to do so yourself).

Send a demand letter to the PM company and either set forth your demands that are not being met through your contract or fire them.

Report all the criminal activities to the police and keep on them to ensure that the crooks are found and prosecuted.

Get the junk out and start rehab == and be sure you have all new locks and a good security system installed. And, of course, thoroughly vet the contractors.

Sell the house, take your tax losses and move on with the rest of your life -- perhaps writing a book about your experiences if you are the literary type.

Above all else, don't lollygag on any of these things -- get going ASAP.

rated:

The yard (821.34kB)
Disclaimer

More junk (1,006.59kB)
Disclaimer
My current issues is with the 21-day notice.

The writ, as executed by the Maricopa County Constables was pasted to the door, and MAYBE started their 21 day clock.

But the law says...

If the tenant's former dwelling unit is used to store the property, the landlord may change the locks on that unit at the landlord's discretion. The landlord shall prepare an inventory and promptly notify the tenant of the location and cost of storage of the personal property by sending a notice by certified mail, return receipt requested, addressed to the tenant's last known address and to any of the tenant's alternative addresses known to the landlord. 

I can't see to get confirmation that, with the trashed house just sitting there, that they got the notice they needed.  These people did everything they could to avoid moving out, dragging it to court, rescheduling, threatening to sue us (the usual lies, mold, etc.), and I suspect if we do anything to their disastrous pile of junk they'll (pointlessly threaten) to sue again.  I just want the problem to go away.

I've included the writ, a photo of the garage, and for bonus points, the back yard.

My frustration is that the management company was supposed to divorce me from all this nonsense, and now I need a management company for my management company

rated:
ThrowawayBecauseReasons said:   OK. Here's my pathetic story.

All in Arizona, in the Phoenix burbs...

Back in 2007, the wife and I got married and we bought a house. We had planned to sell her old house, and keep my paid-off condo. As you're likely aware, the market tanked, and we made the decision to ride it out, and accepted a short-term rental at her old house that eventually turned into an 8+ year rental to a family.

We had never wanted to be landlords, but here we were. They spent about 7.5 years being "bad but slightly less bad than kicking them out and hoping the next people weren't too bad". Rent was perpetually late, but always showed up. We lack expertise and the temperament for dealing with it, and should have turned it over to a property management company immediately, but we just rolled with it.

By the beginning of this year, they had lost their jobs and the checks stopped, and the games began. After we were sure the checks would never come, and we began to fear for the state of the house itself, we FINALLY got one of the large property management companies to take it over for us. They processed the eviction, got an award for the full back rent and eviction.

About 40 days ago, the Sheriff showed up and evicted them, locked them out, and the keys were left for the property management company.

In the days that followed, the renters broke in a few times, took some of their belongings, but left an entire house full of junk in the garage -- and (by one bloated estimate) nearly $2000 worth of hauling and basic cleanup...before anyone even gets to repairing torn down doors and dry wall and the place where they tore up carpet and ham-handed laid laminate in an upstairs bedroom?!?

We've gone with a HUGE national PM company, but they can't tell us if notice was properly given for the tenant's belongings. One call got returned with "I think they should have notice, because of the eviction" but that certainly wasn't enough for us. Now repeated call after call after call to the PM company goes to voicemail.

...at the same time, I have no indication who should begin to collect upon the judgement already in place for them -- one that's going to grow by leaps and bounds as the house is furnished. I suspect they're judgement proof, but that doesn't mean I won't try if I'm supposed to.

Maybe the long and short of this is: I hired a PM company too late. Now they're not returning my calls or emails, and my house is sitting un-rentable and un-repairable because of the sheer volume of junk left behind. Now what?

You had a consistent tenant for close to 8 yrs.  Thats golden, assuming you charged market rent and collected late fees etc...  You got a quick eviction and a judgment (once you decided to get off your ass), great!  So you show some garbage and belongings,,, that's the easy stuff.  You mention carpet, laminate.... you should anticipate changing that out after 8 yrs++ old.  Not sure where your problems are, though not ideal situation...but you facilitated the issues, so dont complain now! Get the place fixed up and decide to sell or........... LOL rent it. Worry about judgment later.

In my locale, a writ of possession means they have x hrs to get their shite out to the curb and its done.

rated:
In the end, we got all of the rent (8 years), minus the whole not paying and us evicting them thing at the end...

We know we're going to have to replace the flooring and nearly everything else - but the place is structurally sound. We had a few minor problems over the years (water breaks), but they were always fixed by professional restoration companies working in concert with our insurer. The flooring isn't old now (replaced with the water breaks), but they trashed it, and everything else. Doors all have holes in them, etc.

It's pure speculation, and I honestly don't care, because it doesn't change anything, but it feels as though one or both of them lost their job and I think the wheels fell off the wagon over there. I suspect drugs and fights, money problems elsewhere, and they went from abusing our good natured 8 year relationship, to just outright lies, then when backed into a corner, threatened to sue us for non-existent mold from quick repairs, water bills for the leaks (which we'd have gladly paid if they were real or they ever presented a bill), non-existent doctor bills for flooring repairs that they denied the contractors entry to the house for. Mommy and daddy's door is broken, but the kids rooms seem unharmed -- beyond them doing strange flooring changes in secret. An otherwise good couple fell onto hard times and their life got screwed up.

When we went to court, the wife of the house represented herself against our PM companies lawyer. My wife got called to the stand and testified for 90 minutes! of mostly rambling from the tenant-wife, who even called my wife a liar while on the stand. The judge told tenant-wife that if she kept up her antics there'd be two trials today, and she'd be in both of them. One of the big points was the water bill. They wanted $1600 for a water bill - a bill they didn't bring to court. I can imagine a small increase in the water for the pipe break, but it wasn't severe - a leaking toilet upstairs needed some drywall replaced and some flooring in the kitchen redone. I suspect they owed (and we might end up owing) $1600 in back water bills and hoped we'd bail them out under mold threats... ...anyway... When we first rented them the house a decade ago, I had just taken over my wife's finances. I missed the water bill in the transition. The renters came to us a few months in when it was time to renew the initial short-term lease and complained about the water bill. Being good people, we said, no problem, pay your next rent in full, minus the water bill, and here's your new lease that says in no uncertain terms that your rent is now X + You_Pay_Water. When this brilliant tenant complained that we should be responsible for the water bill (all $1600 of it, one she didn't actually have a statement for) she showed the judge our agreement saying that, in no uncertain terms, the water was fully the responsibility of the tenant. "But that's how we've always done things," she said. The judge had a hard time explaining to her that she submitted evidence against herself. Some people.

I've seen a few of these go through, and they're always "one month's rent, eviction, NEXT!" Ours ended up "pay your landlords every last dime and get out in the minimum days, and don't say another word or you're going to jail."

My gripe is mostly about the PM company now. ...and possibly that my 21 day clock hasn't started, and won't start until PM company either confirms that the notice they gave (with the writ) was enough, or that they actually gave independent notice. Nobody inventoried stuff until weeks later. The wheels turn too slowly.

rated:
ThrowawayBecauseReasons said:   In the end, we got all of the rent (8 years), minus the whole not paying and us evicting them thing at the end...

We know we're going to have to replace the flooring and nearly everything else - but the place is structurally sound. We had a few minor problems over the years (water breaks), but they were always fixed by professional restoration companies working in concert with our insurer. The flooring isn't old now (replaced with the water breaks), but they trashed it, and everything else. Doors all have holes in them, etc.

It's pure speculation, and I honestly don't care, because it doesn't change anything, but it feels as though one or both of them lost their job and I think the wheels fell off the wagon over there. I suspect drugs and fights, money problems elsewhere, and they went from abusing our good natured 8 year relationship, to just outright lies, then when backed into a corner, threatened to sue us for non-existent mold from quick repairs, water bills for the leaks (which we'd have gladly paid if they were real or they ever presented a bill), non-existent doctor bills for flooring repairs that they denied the contractors entry to the house for. Mommy and daddy's door is broken, but the kids rooms seem unharmed -- beyond them doing strange flooring changes in secret. An otherwise good couple fell onto hard times and their life got screwed up.

When we went to court, the wife of the house represented herself against our PM companies lawyer. My wife got called to the stand and testified for 90 minutes! of mostly rambling from the tenant-wife, who even called my wife a liar while on the stand. The judge told tenant-wife that if she kept up her antics there'd be two trials today, and she'd be in both of them. One of the big points was the water bill. They wanted $1600 for a water bill - a bill they didn't bring to court. I can imagine a small increase in the water for the pipe break, but it wasn't severe - a leaking toilet upstairs needed some drywall replaced and some flooring in the kitchen redone. I suspect they owed (and we might end up owing) $1600 in back water bills and hoped we'd bail them out under mold threats... ...anyway... When we first rented them the house a decade ago, I had just taken over my wife's finances. I missed the water bill in the transition. The renters came to us a few months in when it was time to renew the initial short-term lease and complained about the water bill. Being good people, we said, no problem, pay your next rent in full, minus the water bill, and here's your new lease that says in no uncertain terms that your rent is now X + You_Pay_Water. When this brilliant tenant complained that we should be responsible for the water bill (all $1600 of it, one she didn't actually have a statement for) she showed the judge our agreement saying that, in no uncertain terms, the water was fully the responsibility of the tenant. "But that's how we've always done things," she said. The judge had a hard time explaining to her that she submitted evidence against herself. Some people.

I've seen a few of these go through, and they're always "one month's rent, eviction, NEXT!" Ours ended up "pay your landlords every last dime and get out in the minimum days, and don't say another word or you're going to jail."

My gripe is mostly about the PM company now. ...and possibly that my 21 day clock hasn't started, and won't start until PM company either confirms that the notice they gave (with the writ) was enough, or that they actually gave independent notice. Nobody inventoried stuff until weeks later. The wheels turn too slowly.

Sounds like you need to sue the PM company for breach of contract.

rated:
JaxFL said:   
ThrowawayBecauseReasons said:   OK. Here's my pathetic story.

You had a consistent tenant for close to 8 yrs.  Thats golden, assuming you charged market rent and collected late fees etc...  You got a quick eviction and a judgment (once you decided to get off your ass), great!  So you show some garbage and belongings,,, that's the easy stuff.  You mention carpet, laminate.... you should anticipate changing that out after 8 yrs++ old.  Not sure where your problems are, though not ideal situation...but you facilitated the issues, so dont complain now! Get the place fixed up and decide to sell or........... LOL rent it. Worry about judgment later.

this. this x 1000.

try to collect on the judgment if you can. if you can't, oh well. 8 years of consistent rent and late fees is pretty sweet.  think of it like this: most rental calculations accept 10% vacancy. you've saved that. consider that your payment for the repairs.

rated:
I have a question for refi. I have a duplex with balance of 188K at 5% with monthly payment 1373(P&I) and maturity data in 2033. I was looking to refi for 30 years at 4.375 and monthly payment of 953(P&I). I thought the rate should drop at least 1% before considering refi, this would increase the cash flow by $400 monthly. My current rent for both sides is $2500

Any thoughts?

rated:
lepa71 said:   I have a question for refi. I have a duplex with balance of 188K at 5% with monthly payment 1373(P&I) and maturity data in 2033. I was looking to refi for 30 years at 4.375 and monthly payment of 953(P&I). I thought the rate should drop at least 1% before considering refi, this would increase the cash flow by $400 monthly. My current rent for both sides is $2500

Any thoughts?

seems like a no-brainer as long as your financial house is in order and the appraisal comps look good.

did you get the current loan in 2003? depending on your retirement/tax plans, it might make more sense to get a 15 year note...but the conventional wisdom is that you can always pay down a 30-year faster if you choose, and retain the flexibility NOT to if something goes wrong and money is tight. 

rated:
Question, my tenants asked me if I'd be able to report their "good tenancy" on their credit because they are trying to build up their scores.

Is there any feasible way to even do that?  I have no idea how to.
They apparently think I can becasue I ran their scores through cozy, or well, they ran their scores.   I don't currently have their SSNs.

thoughts?

rated:
RhizzleBop said:   Question, my tenants asked me if I'd be able to report their "good tenancy" on their credit because they are trying to build up their scores.

Is there any feasible way to even do that?  I have no idea how to.
They apparently think I can becasue I ran their scores through cozy, or well, they ran their scores.   I don't currently have their SSNs.

thoughts?

Yes there are ways to report their rent payments to credit bureaus.

Only the very biggest landlords can report it direct.     Otherwise you have to use a 3rd party and those companies usually charge fees.

example: rentalkharma.com charges ~$10 a month.     
There may be cheaper options.

Cozy may very well support reporting rent to the credit bureaus but I can't find details on Cozy's site if they do.

rated:
solarUS said:   
lepa71 said:   I have a question for refi. I have a duplex with balance of 188K at 5% with monthly payment 1373(P&I) and maturity data in 2033. I was looking to refi for 30 years at 4.375 and monthly payment of 953(P&I). I thought the rate should drop at least 1% before considering refi, this would increase the cash flow by $400 monthly. My current rent for both sides is $2500

Any thoughts?

seems like a no-brainer as long as your financial house is in order and the appraisal comps look good.

did you get the current loan in 2003? depending on your retirement/tax plans, it might make more sense to get a 15 year note...but the conventional wisdom is that you can always pay down a 30-year faster if you choose, and retain the flexibility NOT to if something goes wrong and money is tight. 

So you are saying to refi and this is where I'm leading too. It will give me better cash flow. If I prepay those $400 back into new load I would only save 5 years and then what is the reason to put money back in? I ran numbers at mtgprofessor com to compare refi and it put out "Over the Next 30 years Keeping Your Existing Loan Will Save You:    $47,792".

As for 15 year mortgage, the payment is the same at 3.75%. It will knock off 23 months and that's pretty much. No other savings.
Any other suggestions on how look at it?

Thanks

rated:
lepa71 said:   
solarUS said:   

Any thoughts?

So you are saying to refi and this is where I'm leading too. It will give me better cash flow. If I prepay those $400 back into new load I would only save 5 years and then what is the reason to put money back in? I ran numbers at mtgprofessor com to compare refi and it put out "Over the Next 30 years Keeping Your Existing Loan Will Save You:    $47,792".

As for 15 year mortgage, the payment is the same at 3.75%. It will knock off 23 months and that's pretty much. No other savings.
Any other suggestions on how look at it?

Thanks

I don't know what calculator you used exactly.   But to really figure the actual compared total cost you would need to look at future inflation expectations, your marginal tax rate, savings rage, opportunity cost etc.   Its not simplistic.

If I just add up the payments then your current loan is going to be $295k out of pocket and the refi would be $343k.   but most of the refi loan would be way in the future and inflation turns into a big deal.   If I assume 3% annual inflation then its almost a wash at about $233k for either loan in todays dollars.

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.
  • 1343344345346 347
  • Page
  • Previous 40

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2016