Anyone ever run a vending business?

Archived From: Finance
  • Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
I am thinking about starting a small vending route to help me get through college. Anyone have advice on how to get accounts and keep them happy? Do I share my profit with them? If so how much? Any help would be great.

Member Summary
Quick Summary is created and edited by users like you... Add FAQ's, Links and other Relevant Information by clicking the edit button in the lower right hand corner of this message.
Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Buy an existing, small route. There are numerous established routes (from large to small) for sale on Craigslist in most major metropolitan areas. The fact that so many are for sale should tell you something about the ROI. In college with time on your hands, this may be a perfect time, though, to undertake the endeavor.

I wasn't going to go huge with this. TO be honest. I was thinking small machines, gumballs, pan candy.

Check this recent thread for some related discussion.

Cy4Life said: I wasn't going to go huge with this. TO be honest. I was thinking small machines, gumballs, pan candy.
Here's an interesting link.

3 words...

Price of Fuel!

Routes are too expensive to run right now... unless you raise prices

Tried it once about 20 years ago. Was very had to make any money but the time you pay for product, gas to get to places and if you have to pay the location any % you are lucky to have anything left. Its something that really needs to be ran on a big scale in order to be able to buy the products cheap enough.

It could work if you can put the machines on your own campus dormitories or something ... no gasoline needed to refill the machines, just your time.

You could try going to an auction and getting a used candy machine, set it up in your dorm, see how it goes.

what do you guys think about a car wash?

I think maybe we should have a dedicated thread to business/ money opportunities for college students.

They are nice if your car is dirty.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017