• filter:
  • 1113114115116 117
  • Page
  • Previous 40
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
rated:
solarUS said:   
Treffen said:   You can open an IRA with Alliant CU and use their 1% savings but it wouldn't serve the function of a sweep account.

I don't know why you fool around with any of this instead of just using a mutual fund and reinvesting the dividends.

if someone is trying to time the market in their IRA.... 

didn't want to continue this thread distraction, but important point to respond to. If you are going to trade, it's actually better to trade in your IRA / retirement accounts instead of your taxable accounts ironically.  One of the downsides to trading is the tax impact, having to try to match gains with losses, or being restricted from selling when you want because of gains, etc.  In an IRA it doesn't matter - it only matters what your balance is when you start withdrawing.  For your taxable accounts, you want to do long-term growth and long-term holdings for qualified dividends, so that you defer/minimize tax impact of that growth.

rated:
Argh! Quorum FCU "HighQ" ssving accounts are down to 0.75%. I guess it's time to move my cash. Do any other banks allow creation of multiple savings accounts? I like to keep my "house emergency fund" separate from my property tax account, separate from my regular savings, etc.

rated:
cit savings 0.95 apy, all tiers as of 5-3-2016

rated:
​Try Alliant Credit Union-------good savings rate and you can have multiple accounts.

rated:
Thanks for the tip. Opened an Alliant account-- savings and checking. I needed a no-fee ATM checking anyway. Setup four "supplemental savings" accounts and links to 14 external bank accounts. Will start moving my cash as soon as the verification process completes.

rated:
UFB savings getting 1.20% for higher balances. Better than brokerage accounts.

rated:
Yes, to gain 1.20%, you must have a balance over $25K. I'm going to give UFB Direct a large chunk of my Alliant CU funds.

rated:
It's interesting how many people consistently fall for the UFB bait, only to get excited when their rate soon plummets again.

rated:
NEDeals said:   It's interesting how many people consistently fall for the UFB bait, only to get excited when their rate soon plummets again.
  Make hay while the sun shines!!!!

Transfer to UFB and keep it as long as they have high rates. Transfer back when the rate falls!

rated:
My thinking is the same as Quizzer's..

rated:
Are all these "high" rates a result of fed. rate increase?

rated:
I actually first got acquainted with UFB in 2011. They had a high savings rate then. I opened an account & deposited funds for as long as their rate remained high.
This morning I went back to an old UFB account that had a balance of around $125. I ACH'ed funds from Alliant CU into UFB. When they lower the rate I will ACH the money back to Alliant.

rated:
pattyB said:   I actually first got acquainted with UFB in 2011. They had a high savings rate then. I opened an account & deposited funds for as long as their rate remained high.
This morning I went back to an old UFB account that had a balance of around $125. I ACH'ed funds from Alliant CU into UFB. When they lower the rate I will ACH the money back to Alliant.

How long typically?

rated:
Gotta love ACH transfers! I'm going to link up my UFB with my Alliant too!  Thanks for the idea!

rated:
Seems like Radius Bank checking has the best overall rate and options.
Can't seem to figure out the difference between their HIgh yield savings and
hybrid accounts. Also, no rate structure available to see on the hybrid account.
Thank you for recommendation.

rated:
mshnayde said:   Seems like Radius Bank checking has the best overall rate and options.
Can't seem to figure out the difference between their HIgh yield savings and
hybrid accounts. Also, no rate structure available to see on the hybrid account.
Thank you for recommendation.

Radius Bank website only shows 1.01%.   

rated:
I have Radius Hybrid...love it! It combines a checking account with high yield savings all rolled in one...You don't get any interest on the first $2500 in the account but all of the balance above that receives a full 1.0% yield...They use what use to be called Checkfree Bill Pay (which is great) and have an excellent Online Banking and Mobile Banking....Plus Unlimited atm rebates as well!...and really good customer service...Only drawback is you can only transfer $5000 per day (in or out) using their transfer system, but of course you can pull or push from other banks as much as you want...

Not for rate chasers, more for those who would like to have an excellent for day to day transactions and bill paying checking account with a high yield savings account combined all into ONE...
I still have Alliant (which is great) but Radius is really nice and i enjoy having it..

They may not be as high as UFB but unlike them, they are very stable when it comes to the high yield interest rate...

rated:
needhelpplease said:   
pattyB said:   I actually first got acquainted with UFB in 2011. They had a high savings rate then. I opened an account & deposited funds for as long as their rate remained high.

How long typically?

I have done this about 4 times, it usually last 4 - 6 months.  This last round started in February so it may not last for much longer.  I have never closed the account, I leave a few dollars in there when the rate drop to my other bank's rate, and ACH the rest to my other bank account.  As has been suggested, as long as you have an exit plan to ACH the fund to your other bank, there shouldn't be an issue when the rate drops.   When the rate goes up, I just ACH back to UFB without having to re-apply/re-open the account. Make sure your other bank has good and large incoming ACH limit because UFB ach limit is very small so you don't want to use it.  There is no inactivity fee, and inactivity status starts around 24 months, unlike most others of about a year.  A number of years ago, I got an email from them being inactive, I was able to logon without problem.

https://www.ufbdirect.com/Portals/UFBDirect/Documents/Compliance/UFB%20Direct%20-%20Deposit%20Account.pdf 
We define inactive as no customer initiated activity, other than interest posting, and no contact between the customer and the Bank for a minimum period of 24 months. If your account is dormant, the Bank may hold all statements on your account, but the Bank’s normal maintenance, service and other fees will continue to be assessed except where prohibited and ATM and POS access may be blocked. 

rated:
Are you still updating this? You might want to look at HYCs of Lake Michigan CU (3%, $14,999 cap) and Centra CU (4% up to $1,000 cap, 2% up to $5,000) and Consumers CU (3%, $10,000).

A few more: Destinations CU (3%), Charter Oak CU (3%)

rated:
I wanted to reply to your post to ask you:
1. What is ACH?
2. What does the rate fluctuate back and forth from with UFB?

Thanks!

rated:
smilingpasta said:   Are you still updating this? You might want to look at HYCs of Lake Michigan CU (3%, $14,999 cap) and Centra CU (4% up to $1,000 cap, 2% up to $5,000) and Consumers CU (3%, $10,000).

and Destinations CU (3%)

Lake Michigan Credit Union Max Checking paying 3% requires direct deposit each month, 10 debit transactions each month, etc. This a "reward checking" account and belongs on the Reward Checking thread.   If you do all of their requirements, then you may as well get the Mango account for 6% interest as has been posted on the Mango thread.    

rated:
Oh, I didn't realize the rewards checking weren't listed under here.  Sorry.  I will look for that.

I've read about Mango.  It's something I'm interested in, but is there a minimum you have to keep in the account?  I read that Netspend is a little bit better, and some people do both to increase their return.  A lot of choices...it's very tough to choose.

rated:
Instead of posting/asking questions about topics not relevant to this thread, why don't you spend some time to read and understand the relevant threads instead. Your favorite search engine can help. There is also an area for newbie questions.

rated:
NEDeals said:   Instead of posting/asking questions about topics not relevant to this thread, why don't you spend some time to read and understand the relevant threads instead. There is also an area for newbie questions.
  I also suggest you use Google search for as many questions as you can before posting a question.  It will explain ACH. 

rated:
Wilshire Bank has 13-month EZ Flex CD paying 1.20% with minimum $30K and maximum $250K. Must have a checking account too. There is a personal FLEX checking which has no monthly fee for maintaining one of the following: 1) $1000 balance, 2) one direct deposit, 3) or seven debit transactions.

link 

But with FED likely to increase rates in June (or July), maybe better not to lock in a 13 month CD with minimum $30K?

Maybe UFB will hold the 1.2% rate (minimum $25K) or possibly raise the rate since it is not a locked-in CD like Wilshire Bank.

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.
  • 1113114115116 117
  • Page
  • Previous 40

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2016