• filter:

Alliant CU

• 1146147148149 150
  • Page
  • Previous 40
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
rated:
@shinobi1: Just wanted to let you know that i closed all my Alliant Cu accounts and also asked them to terminate the membership (which is the only way you can close your share savings account)...It's been a good run with them all these years but i decided to have a simplified banking set up with Ally Bank as my "bank central" (lol) where i have my day to day activities, check writing and bill pay, high yield savings (which always seems to match Alliant's) and excellent free atm coverage with rebates...Also, as i have mentioned before, their mobile app and mobile check deposit is excellent...

I did add on their money market savings account which gives me a good place to "park" my non-profit charity beneficiaries (which i need for extended FDIC Coverage on my Savings Account money) and that way my people beneficiaries are the only ones on my Online Savings and Checking Accounts...They are sending me a debit/atm card for the Money Market which will serve as a back up atm card which will probably rarely be used but also doubles my Atm Surcharge Rebates with them ($20 instead of $10)...So, i am back to a simple two bank set-up which i prefer...

And of course, I will keep Chase as my local bank and it's also where i have my primary use Credit Card (Chase Freedom with rotating categories)...So, i guess i won't be posting here anymore...
Since you are also with Ally, i hope i will see you on my Ally thread occasionally...And anyone else here who also uses Ally bank...

rated:
Craig, I remember when I relied on you to keep us updated when Alliant changed it's % rate. So hope you will be happy without Alliant & come back when the opportunity changes.

rated:
Thank you, pattyB...appreciate that...
I probably wouldn't have closed out the membership but as you know, with credit unions, it is the only way to close the share savings account...Of course it is always easy to re-join if situations should change in the future...I know you have Ally as well, so you're always welcome on my Ally thread...

My "contact" at Alliant left some time ago and the reps i usually got on there in more recent times wouldn't "spill the beans" in advance...(lol)

rated:
I don't understand why you would close the account? Why not leave a few bucks in there in case they jack the rates up to 1.5% next month?

Were you trying to send a message about something you were unhappy about?

rated:
sfchris said:   I don't understand why you would close the account? Why not leave a few bucks in there in case they jack the rates up to 1.5% next month?

Were you trying to send a message about something you were unhappy about?

Totally agree. Keep the minimum required $5 and you can easily go back to Alliant instead of wasting time to rejoin Alliant in case rates went up or if something changes at Ally. 

rated:
Too Late though, they closed everything today (i can tell by the fact that i can't log into the online banking...Oh well...can always re-join in the future if needed, i suppose...
Though i don't think they will be jacking up the rates anytime soon...They are consistent and reliable with rates, but slow when it comes to moving it up....

I guess i might have been sending a message...while i still like them, they always seem slow about making improvements/refinements and their bill pay, while usable, isn't up to Chase 's and Ally's Bill Pay...I think maybe i got frustrated with them...They don't seem to be quite keeping up with the times...

rated:
craig10x said:   Too Late though, they closed everything today (i can tell by the fact that i can't log into the online banking...Oh well...can always re-join in the future if needed, i suppose...
Though i don't think they will be jacking up the rates anytime soon...They are consistent and reliable with rates, but slow when it comes to moving it up....

I guess i might have been sending a message...while i still like them, they always seem slow about making improvements/refinements and their bill pay, while usable, isn't up to Chase 's and Ally's Bill Pay...I think maybe i got frustrated with them...They don't seem to be quite keeping up with the times...

All good. Either way glad you found something that works best for you. 

rated:
I've been an EverBank customer for a while and decided to switch over to Alliant. I opened up my new account and got all of the stuff mailed to me (including checks) a few weeks back but have been too busy with work to start aggressively switching everything over. Tonight I finally updated my work direct deposit info (though that might take a couple of cycles to take effect).

So here's my question: Which approach will be faster for transferring money from my EverBank account to Alliant: Pushing the money from EverBank or pulling it from Alliant? Thanks in advance.

rated:
craig10x said:   They don't seem to be quite keeping up with the times...
Totally disagree. For example, who's ahead in implementing same-day ACH, Alliant or Chase, in your opinion? Alliant is well on the way, while I can't find any information about that with Chase on the consumer side. Mobile phone deposits is another new recent feature, and Alliant's implementation is at least as good as Chase's, probably better. And I was scanning and depositing checks from home with Alliant years ago, well before Chase offered any remote deposits. I think they're keeping up with the times just fine, just not in the visual bells & whistles department, which most people, not including you, don't care much about.

rated:
Ally allows much larger ach transfers than Alliant ($250,000 in per day and $150,000 out) and although there is a time delay of 2 months until the feature becomes available on a newly added ach account (after making at least one $250 or more transfer in and out from the external account) they do automatically move over to next day transfers...

Chase 's Bill Pay is outstanding and on par with (what use to be called Checkfree Bill Pay) which is what Ally Bank uses...I have payees on both Chase and Ally that go electronic and yet on Alliant's bill pay they told me they can only go by mailing a check (alliant uses the bill pay service of another credit union, Wescom CU which is west coast based)...

And both Chase 's and Ally's mobile apps take much sharper pictures of mobile check deposits as well as being easier to take the pictures...and their mobile apps have more things you can do on them than Alliant's mobile app as well as not only logging in but going from one thing to another within the app at a very snappy pace where as on Alliant's app it is very slow and sluggish, despite many updated versions since the new one came out...

Also, i asked Alliant when they were going to upgrade their Online Banking and the best answer i could get was "sometime this year"....they don't even have a definite time line for it!...
Chase and Ally both have upgraded Online Banking (both of which i like..not only because they look very good but also function very well and intuitive)....

Well, you asked me    Hate to have to be so critical of Alliant but just wanted to give you my evaluation and why i switched to Ally as my "bank central"....
By the way, Chase allows up to $25,000 per day on ach transfers in and out (no monthly max) and up to $5000 per day on mobile deposits but Ally matches Alliant in that they allow up to $50,000 per day on the mobile deposits...Also: Both Chase and Ally Bank have "pay people" services where as Alliant CU does not (and i asked them about that and they have no plans to add any)... And, those are some of the reasons that i stated that Alliant CU is not "keeping up with the times"...

rated:
So you knock Alliant down for having lower transfer limits than Ally, while Chase's limits are even lower. You say Alliant's app is sluggish (not my experience, btw) while ignoring that Ally's web site is slow and heavy and bordering on unusable on an older PC -- and Alliant's is lightning fast. Each of the 3 banks is better in some respects, and worse in others, but overall I like Alliant the best of these 3. You like another one - great, and I'm happy that you found your match, but please stop with the nonsense like "[Alliant] don't seem to be quite keeping up with the times" and pestering them with questions like "when they were going to upgrade their Online Banking" when there's nothing wrong with the current one.

rated:
Yeah, but Ally's is much higher...Chase is just my local bank but they happen to have a nice online banking and bill pay and mobile app..Ally is my "bank central" and for me they outshine Alliant in many aspects (as i outlined)...As far as Alliant upgrading their Online Banking, i just asked them once if they had any plans to do so (since they had upgraded their main website as well as their mobile app) and that's the vague answer they gave me (sometime this year but we don't have any idea when)...I didn't "pester" them about it... On a modern computer Ally is very fast as far as the online banking and on my rather basic android phone (an LG) Alliant is slow and sluggish, Chase and Ally's app is VERY zippy...Your experiences are different than mine, i can only go by what I experience...

rated:
Alliant's mobile app is near-perfect (messaging functionality aside), and the mobile deposit is the best I've ever used! Not only have I never had an issue scanning the first time around (both on Android and more recently iPhone), but all my mobile deposits are available IMMEDIATELY. Even local banks hold funds for 1-2 days when depositing in person. Alliant crushes that.

rated:
I'll have to give you that one (about Alliant making the check deposits available immediately) 

Alliant's mobile app isn't bad (though as i said, it does seem quite a bit slow and sluggish compared to when i am using my Ally and Chase apps which are very fast)...There are more features on Ally and Chase ...and Alliant's mobile deposit (which initially was filled with problems and took several updates to get it properly fixed) now works pretty good but as i said i do find the check image is sharper when taken with the other two bank's apps)..

Oh yes, and Ally supplies all the free checks you want (alliant charges after initial set) and you can get both paper and e-statements for free (Alliant charges if you want paper statements)...
There was a lot i really liked about Alliant which is probably why i finally got frustrated with them regarding the things i previous outlined...All banks/cus have their pluses and minuses so it's best to use what works for you...

rated:
Alliant addressed most of my complaints after they released their new mobile app which works very well on my iPhone 6 (2.5 years old and can be had for $200 without contract recently). Mobile check scanning always worked on the first try and paying bills through the app is easy. All of my billpays are electronic and not by check.

I don't care about paper statements. I download and archive the PDFs so there's no clutter. It's encrypted and backed up offsite so if my house burns down I still have the documents unlike with physical documents. I can also search through all my PDFs instead of looking through a filing cabinet.

The check images are bad but any large checks I will scan using my phone. There are plenty of scanner type apps available which do a serviceable job if you don't have an actual scanner.

I've never reached the ACH limit because I don't keep $100,000s in my account. Large amounts of excess cash are invested via my Vanguard account which carries higher risk but much better returns than the 1% offered.

Sounds like Ally is working out for you so that's great. I've been with Alliant for a long time and they've always been pretty good about what I need it for. Certainly much better than Bank of America where I originally had my accounts. They are reasonably competitive with their rates and the experience has been trouble free. I guess that's all I ask from my bank since I only log in a few times a month to do a few billpays and deposits. The only glaring thing missing imo is 2FA which they've been saying they'll implement for a very long time.

I looked into other banks like Ally and I don't really see the need to move. Alliant actually has a couple of physical branches in my location if I need them and they also take cash deposits via ATM which Ally does not have. Can't say I use those features too often but they've been very Handy when I needed them.

rated:
First world problems......splitting hair 

rated:
Thanks guys...yeah, Ally is working out really well for me...Hey, i was with Alliant CU for many, many years (in fact, so long i can't quite recall when i first joined them...lol) I had also tried some other Credit Unions but they were always my favorite...

rated:
The alliant mobile app did resolve most concerns that the member base requested. They have or are

- changing product lines to be more competitive
- enhancing the mobile app platform with continuous updates
- Releasing or working on a new online banking platform - hopefully made internally so modifications or upgrades are continous
- The response time or speed of online banking and mobile app

Doing all of this while keeping core focus on rates and the mission statement. I am not a fan of corporate banks but I understand making a switch based on policy and better platforms traditionaly. In general credit unions are making a strong leap forward to address these issues.

rated:
hap2 said:   Alliant addressed most of my complaints after they released their new mobile app which works very well on my iPhone 6 (2.5 years old and can be had for $200 without contract recently). Mobile check scanning always worked on the first try and paying bills through the app is easy. All of my billpays are electronic and not by check.

I don't care about paper statements. I download and archive the PDFs so there's no clutter. It's encrypted and backed up offsite so if my house burns down I still have the documents unlike with physical documents. I can also search through all my PDFs instead of looking through a filing cabinet.

The check images are bad but any large checks I will scan using my phone. There are plenty of scanner type apps available which do a serviceable job if you don't have an actual scanner.

I've never reached the ACH limit because I don't keep $100,000s in my account. Large amounts of excess cash are invested via my Vanguard account which carries higher risk but much better returns than the 1% offered.

Sounds like Ally is working out for you so that's great. I've been with Alliant for a long time and they've always been pretty good about what I need it for. Certainly much better than Bank of America where I originally had my accounts. They are reasonably competitive with their rates and the experience has been trouble free. I guess that's all I ask from my bank since I only log in a few times a month to do a few billpays and deposits. The only glaring thing missing imo is 2FA which they've been saying they'll implement for a very long time.

I looked into other banks like Ally and I don't really see the need to move. Alliant actually has a couple of physical branches in my location if I need them and they also take cash deposits via ATM which Ally does not have. Can't say I use those features too often but they've been very Handy when I needed them.

I'm glad there are still some people who understand savings accounts are not meant for investments. Unlike some people who prefer to keep a mil liquid because it makes them feel better.

rated:
Just checking in to see if craig10x has switched back to Alliant yet.

rated:
Argyll said:   Just checking in to see if craig10x has switched back to Alliant yet.
  Give him till the next Ally website UI change or Ally smartphone app change 

rated:
LOL...

No...still with Ally Bank...actually very happy with the new set up...Alliant is actually totally closed out now (including membership which was necessary to close all accounts with them)...Had a great run and really enjoyed my long stay with them...

I did do a switch on my local bank end though...opened new bank accounts with Citibank yesterday and also applied for the double cash card (2% on everything) they have plenty of branches where i live and have recently expanded their free atm coverage (which was actually quite good prior to this) through a deal with Cardtronics (who also runs Allpoint) and gives tons of free atm all over the country through WalgreensCVSTarget, duane reade, 7-11 stores, and many more...So, it does look like i will be moving away from Chase as my local bank if everything with Citi works out...

rated:
Does anyone have any recent experience with getting a cashier's check from Alliant? I thought people have been able to go to other credit unions to get a cashier's check?

I need a cashier's or certified check for a real estate purchase. It sounds like my best option is faxing the request with an $18 overnight fee?

I sent them a message asking where I can get a cashier's check, and none of the options are very appealing:

Hello,

The nearest Alliant branch is located in El Segundo, California. Alliant offers an Official check, which is the same as a Certified check or Cashier’s check, at no cost. If the check will be made payable to you, simply select ‘Check Withdrawal’ on the right side under account options.

If you would like the check made payable to a 3rd party, we would need you to fax us the request with your signature. We can mail the check regular mail or FEDEX. Regular mail we quote 7-10 business days, and FEDEX fee for overnight delivery is $18, priority deliver before Noon is $22. Please fax the request to 773-462-2095, Attn: MSA Services.

If you would like the check mailed to the payee directly, you can use the Bill Pay feature through Online Banking and an Official Check will be mailed to the payee.

rated:
I have had success doing shared branching. Just make sure you know you member number (not account number)

rated:
uscfsmitty said:   I have had success doing shared branching. Just make sure you know you member number (not account number)
Interesting. I actually just tried on Monday at a co-op credit union (went because they have a deposit-taking ATM that works with Alliant). I went inside out of curiosity to ask the teller, and Alliant came up. But, my member number (nor account number) would work.

What I've heard in the past is that in special circumstances, Alliant will enable your account for shared branching if something urgent comes up. Which may explain why they're listed but in this circumstance my account wouldn't work.  

rated:
tjguitar85 said:   Does anyone have any recent experience with getting a cashier's check from Alliant? I thought people have been able to go to other credit unions to get a cashier's check?

I need a cashier's or certified check for a real estate purchase. It sounds like my best option is faxing the request with an $18 overnight fee?

I sent them a message asking where I can get a cashier's check, and none of the options are very appealing:

This is the one thing that bugged the heck out of me about Alliant (might be all CUs, I think). In short, just submit a wire transfer request. You will need to fax a form to them (which is confusing as heck to fill out) and answer some questions over the phone for security purposes.

Most escrow companies will not accept an "Official check" no matter how many days you have left to close. You will need to wire the funds over or get a cashier's check from a regular bank. I did mine a few days early to make sure there were no issues with closing. Better safe than sorry.

rated:
Just FYI, a wire from Alliant late last year cost me $25.00

rated:
djshack said:   
What I've heard in the past is that in special circumstances, Alliant will enable your account for shared branching if something urgent comes up. Which may explain why they're listed but in this circumstance my account wouldn't work.  

Yes, if you need to make a deposit for instance, you can call Alliant and they will temporarily enable the shared branching. I doubt you could count on this for regular (manufactured spending) operations, but it is nice when you have a check that is too large for mobile deposit.

rated:
djshack said:   uscfsmitty said:   I have had success doing shared branching. Just make sure you know you member number (not account number)
Interesting. I actually just tried on Monday at a co-op credit union (went because they have a deposit-taking ATM that works with Alliant). I went inside out of curiosity to ask the teller, and Alliant came up. But, my member number (nor account number) would work.

Your post is confusing. Did you mean to say that your member number would NOT work?

rated:
tjguitar85 said:   
djshack said:   
uscfsmitty said:   I have had success doing shared branching. Just make sure you know you member number (not account number)

Your post is confusing. Did you mean to say that your member number would NOT work?

Hah, yeah. Or, *neither* my member number (nor account number) would work.

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.
  • 1146147148149 150
  • Page
  • Previous 40

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017