• filter:

Best Balance Transfer Credit Cards

• 148495051 52
  • Page
  • Previous 40
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
rated:
Thanks guys for the great feedback and advice.

@debentureboy

I like the idea of opening a personal line of credit
How do I go about it?

rated:
You apply... not all FIs have them. PenFed has one and also an account they call Thrifty, which can be used as an overdraft account for your checking.

WF has one... I'm sure other banks also -- I just don't have first hand knowledge of others besides WF. Many CUs beyond PenFed have them -- just check on their "loans and credit" tab or whatever your CU website has. They are very Handy for short draw periods.

rated:
Wells Fargo changed terms on my line of credit a few years ago. It used to be the line of credit would automatically cover checking overdrafts. After the line of credit terms changed, I have to manage the line of credit. No automatic actions.

rated:
Did you get an answer over the phone? I usually get approved right away but this time they said they would send me something in the mail which sounds suspicious.

rated:
A little more info about Barclay Ring: The minimum payment is 1%, nice for floating a balance. My transfer from Barclay to Alliant was fast: request online on Tuesday afternoon at Barclay and credited on Thursday the same week at Alliant.
marcopolomle said:   
taylor0987 said:   I just opened a Barclay Ring card with the 0 fee 0% for 15 months offer. The limit they gave me matched the highest limit I have on other cards, $25k. http://www.findmybarclaycard.com/openmarket/?campaignId=2330&sho... Thanks to those that gave links that included this offer.
Do they issue BT Checks or transfer to checking?
Also, 
Related question: Does Chase Slate issue a BT Checks or transfer to checking?

I am not sure if Barclay provides BT checks. Online it gives me the option to transfer to a CC or to a loan. They have not sent me checks but on the statement it says "Balance Transfer/Check Incentive" on the chart of rates.

rated:
I got the Barclaycard CashForward MC last April with a 12 month 0% purchase / 0% Balance Transfer option. Last fall and a few times since, Barclaycard sent BT checks and offers to about 12 months from the new offer. Every one of them included the option to deposit the BT checks in my bank checking account. I have not done so simply because X months of the new offer was covered by the original application signup offer time frame.

rated:
for Barclay balance transfer through their web interface, i used my checking acct (routing+acct) under the loan option. The billing address is the address for my banks deposits and it was posted in 3 days to my checking acct

rated:
I just paid BAC off on a 0% APR to April 2017. MLB Cash Rewards.
Now they are offering 0% APR to October 2018 - BT fee 3% Problem in my case is a very low CL. For that reason and not really needing the money enough to justify the HP if any. I am assuming since their subsidiary FIA Card Services HPs any CL increase, this card will also.

rated:
If you log into BofA and go to the request CL increase page it tells you right there that it will pull a copy of your credit report.

rated:
Bad idea = BT offer from US BANK 0% APR BT to July 2018 billing. BT fee = greater of 3.99% or 5%.
Annual fee still applies

rated:

rated:
Argyll said:   9 Best No Fee 0% APR Credit Card Offers – April 2017

http://www.magnifymoney.com/blog/balance-transfer/no-fee-balance-transfer-credit-card1322859387

For Barclaycard Ring it says "This card is available if you have excellent credit"
What exactly is excellent credit and are there any data points on it ?

rated:
marcopolomle said:   For Barclaycard Ring it says "This card is available if you have excellent credit"
What exactly is excellent credit and are there any data points on it ?

It's an excellent credit score.

A number of financial sites get feedback from consumers (and the company) on what scores are most commonly accepted for specific cards.  Nerdwallet lists a recommended credit score of 720-850:

http://www.nerdwallet.com/card-details/card-name/Barclays-Ring-MasterCard 

There are  a number of sites that discuss these things, including FICO forums, which can tell you interesting things like Barclays prefers to see use of at least two cards on your credit report, and they don't like to see many recently opened accounts. However, some people with lower scores have gotten approval by calling Barclays' reconsideration line.

rated:
I can get the ring, but what's the point if I pay off every month. No bonus offer...

rated:
One year since I got the BAC MLB Cash Rewards card. BAC just doubled the lowball CL without my request.
This kind of thing is habit forming. About a half dozen of my cards have increased CLs without asking this year. Most of those were tokenisms, but appreciated since some were being used enough to be over 30% utilization, (paid off each month)

rated:
Barclay Cash Forward - I just paid off a 0% for 12 months on purchases. 12th month. I have received two CL increases in that time.
Snail mail arrived offer #1 - 0% APR to July 1. 2018 1% BT fee - most offers that I get are 3% BT fee.
Snail mail arrived offer #2 - 0% APR to October 1. 2018 3% BT fee.
Must react by June 1st.

Call Customer Service if you want the money sent to your checking account.

rated:
What are the best BUSINESS balance transfer offers?

rated:
dontforgetzion said:   What are the best BUSINESS balance transfer offers?
  Check your Chase cards.  I continually get 11 months 0% with 2% fee.

rated:
in2dadark said:   I can get the ring, but what's the point if I pay off every month. No bonus offer...
I signed up for a 15 month 0% promo for ring - no fee balance transfers too. I took an Arrival+ card at the same time and had an older barclay card - they were very agreeable to rearrange credit limits with no hard pull.

rated:

rated:

rated:
You should not be getting actual credit cards. Offers .. certainly. IF you are getting actual credit cards, then somebody has your personal information and is applying in your name = major problem. Especially if they get to your mailbox before you do.

rated:
To clarify some send fake plastic "credit cards" in the "offers". They also often use the terms ,pre-approved" which basically means almost nothing.

Rarely, there will be a good targeted (that means not everyone can go get it from the issuers' website) in the mail. Generally though the mailed it offers are nothing special. You should instead go compare all general offers available.

The "best" card(s) for you will vary based on your spending patterns and amounts. Credit cards are also ONLY beneficial if you use them like a debit card - pay the statement balance in full Each and Every month. This means the interest rates are irrelevant and you can compare just the annual fees (if any) and rewards benefits value.   If you spend mainly in certain "categories", there may be cards that give large bonuses on spend in those specific categories.

rated:
skotty4 said:   Got an interesting offer in my email today:

GOOD SAM | Camping World VISA® PROMOTIONAL BALANCE TRANSFER OFFER INFORMATION
Interest and Fee Information:
• 0% promotional APR through July 2018. After July 2018, for this Balance Transfer, you will be charged a variable APR of 18.99% based on the Prime Rate. This rate will vary with the market based on the Prime Rate.
• Fee is the greater of $10 or 1% of the amount of the Balance Transfer.

Of course now that I need this offer,  they bumped the balance transfer fee up to 2% in May. Oh well.

rated:
Call them and ask if they can match the 1% offer. I have been successful about half the time. You are not hurt if they say no.

rated:
This card right here has 0 balance transfers fee plus 0% APR for the first 15 months. BankDealGuy. Is this the best transfer card as of 5/23/2017? I cant seem to find anything negative about this card. Can someone tell me what's the catch? seems like it's too good to be true.

rated:
JW10 said:   Call them and ask if they can match the 1% offer. I have been successful about half the time. You are not hurt if they say no.

Oddly, I waited and an even better offer arrived: 0% promotional APR through July 2018. There are no fees for balance transfers associated with this promotional offer.

rated:
Fatgirl94 said:   This card right here has 0 balance transfers fee plus 0% APR for the first 15 months. BankDealGuy. Is this the best transfer card as of 5/23/2017? I cant seem to find anything negative about this card. Can someone tell me what's the catch? seems like it's too good to be true.
  It's the same deal as Chase Slate. 

rated:

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017