Free VPN when you use Opera web browser

Archived From: Free Stuff
  • Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Link for latest version with VPN 

After installation go to settings, privacy & security and then check the box to enable VPN

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
Can anyone comment on that statement?  Is this a VPN or simply a proxy?

TIA

confused200 (Sep. 26, 2016 @ 12:11a) |

Their earlier developer version had VPN. According to this website it was a proxy server. Not sure if this is still true... (more)

Elric428 (Sep. 26, 2016 @ 8:31a) |

I have a Windows phone and there doesn't seem to be a version with VPN for this phone.

confused200 (Sep. 27, 2016 @ 2:39a) |

Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Thanks OP!!

"So far we have the native ad blocker. And, we’re introducing another major feature in just a matter of a few weeks; a native, unlimited and free VPN client, right inside your browser!"

When will this be? In a few weeks, (like they say), or in a month, 3 months, year, etc. I downloaded it, and hoping for the best!

Thank you OP. 

Its already in there

Elric428 said:   
Its already in there

Please tell me where it is? It does not have it in the "Settings Page, Privacy& Security Page. In your Link, It says it will take 3 more weeks, for the VPN page.

Everyone looking to download the free VPN, make sure you go to the side bar farther up the page and install the "developer" version.

After installation go to settings, privacy & security and then check the box to enable VPN 

wonder if this will also work on cellphones, worth a shot~
thanks op!

Does this work?

You can download the Opera VPN on its own, I did and its working on my android 5.1 phone......A

great- thanks, good thing i have android!

Just so you are all not continued to be mislead...

This is not a vpn. It is a proxy server. But if you don't really understand what a vpn is, then no problem.

NEVER use or pay for anything with your credit card over VPNS or proxies. 100% chance someone is sniffing numbers on those networks.

rocketkev said:   Just so you are all not continued to be mislead...

This is not a vpn. It is a proxy server. But if you don't really understand what a vpn is, then no problem.

NEVER use or pay for anything with your credit card over VPNS or proxies. 100% chance someone is sniffing numbers on those networks.

I'm confused.  Assuming you're on a site with HTTPS (you wouldn't do business with a non-secure business, right?), why would it matter if someone is sniffing for your credit card number?

nice

rocketkev said:   Just so you are all not continued to be mislead...

but then what is the use of the vpn software? i thought it secures a tunnel!

I am running WinXp. I removed Opera using "Add and Remove Programs" Then I reloaded it, using the link you used. Then I used "Settings, privacy & security" No VPN there! As a matter of fact, this was there: Want even more privacy? Enhance your online experience and enjoy superior privacy, security, and freedom, even on public Wi-Fi. Learn more about Surfeasy VPN. Surfeasy is an Opera Software company."

You have to pay the company to use Surfeasy VPN.

I'm not sure if it's WinXP, or what?

I updated the link. Did you use the new link?

too bad this wont work on torrenting

airblade said:   You can download the Opera VPN on its own, I did and its working on my android 5.1 phone.
Kinda confused. Use Opera every day, installed the VPN version yesterday, happy.

Today I installed the Android version on my Nexus 6, messed around, looked for a place to type a URL and realized (?) that Opera VPN is just that, a VPN and not a browser. Went to standard Android Chrome and sure enough my IP changed to xxx.xxx.xxx.225 while on my home Wi-Fi. Went to Desktop Opera VPN and my IP was xxx.xxx.xxx.125 (same first 3 dotted quad as my phone), with only the last 3 numbers changed.

Next checked my IP from IE and was my usual 47.201.xxx.xxx from FiOS. So far this is simply GREAT! I guess I'll need to keep this running on the phone if I want a VPN all the time. Problems doing this?
If this works so well, I'd gladly pay for a pro version/register whatever but I don't see this available yet.

Elric428 said:   I updated the link. Did you use the new link?
Yes.

I'll look for Opera, on PCWorld, ZDNet, etc. Not sure why, this is happening? Maybe it's WinXP, that does not work with VPN?

rocketkev said:   

Care to back that up with some evidence?
I think you got it all backwards. AFAIK VPN is supposed to prevent sniffing.

Opera 36 is the last version supporting XP and Vista. And the VPN is an Opera 38+ feature. I guess that solved it!  I am hoping they include Surfeasy a free VPN, in a few weeks under WinXP. Now you have to pay for it.

kthejoker20 said:   Just so you are all not continued to be mislead...

Can anyone comment on that statement?  Is this a VPN or simply a proxy?

TIA

Their earlier developer version had VPN. According to this website it was a proxy server. Not sure if this is still true.

Link

I have a Windows phone and there doesn't seem to be a version with VPN for this phone.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017