• filter:
  • Page :
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
Voting History
rated:

Moderator Comment: Members of our community have alerted us to the questionable nature of this deal. While we do not condone any unethical or illegal behavior, we believe discussion and debate helps our community make informed decisions. Please read, comment if you'd like, and proceed with caution. — Nov. 27, 2016 @ 6:29pm
Member Summary
Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

rated:
Business phone number listed is a cell phone

805-448-7961 is a mobile number provided by Verizon Wireless with an area code in CA

Web page states this company is part of the Santa Barbara Spice Company.
The address for the Santa Barbara Spice Company is a box at the UPS store as shown with the link below
https://www.google.com/maps/uv?hl=en&pb=!1s0x80e9147d07e5f1ab:0x...
".

rated:
Thanks MrsGuin - I'll give it a try. That's what a fake email address can be used for.

rated:
Has anybody else noticed that when you click on the 1st link in the OP, you get a "Whoops! Something has gone wrong.
We can't find that page! Try our homepage instead..." message? What was on that page? The offer info in the OP?

Then there's the interesting finds tuskers posted. There is a different phone # on the Santa Barbara Spice Company, and the Yellow Pages lists it as a landline belong to a Jane Fuller.

Here is a short domain Whois on the Spicy Gourmet name, the registrant is also listed in the Admin, & Tech fields.

Queried whois.godaddy.com with "thespicygourmet.com"...

Domain Name: THESPICYGOURMET.COM
Registry Domain ID: 137139416_DOMAIN_COM-VRSN
Registrar WHOIS Server: whois.godaddy.com
Registrar URL: http://www.godaddy.com
Update Date: 2010-11-17T02:30:55Z
Creation Date: 2004-12-11T00:56:51Z
Registrar Registration Expiration Date: 2017-12-11T00:56:51Z
Registrar: GoDaddy.com, LLC
Registrar IANA ID: 146
Registrar Abuse Contact Email: abuse@godaddy.com
Registrar Abuse Contact Phone: +1.4806242505
Domain Status: clientTransferProhibited http://www.icann.org/epp#clientTransferProhibited
Domain Status: clientUpdateProhibited http://www.icann.org/epp#clientUpdateProhibited
Domain Status: clientRenewProhibited http://www.icann.org/epp#clientRenewProhibited
Domain Status: clientDeleteProhibited http://www.icann.org/epp#clientDeleteProhibited
Registry Registrant ID: Not Available From Registry
Registrant Name: Dinesh Perera
Registrant Organization:
Registrant Street: 1303A. Kowalski Ave.
Registrant City: Santa Barbara
Registrant State/Province: California
Registrant Postal Code: 93101
Registrant Country: US
Registrant Phone: +1.8054487961
Registrant Phone Ext:
Registrant Fax:
Registrant Fax Ext:
Registrant Email: dinesh@thespicygourmet.com

And here is the domain Whois for Santa Barbara Spice, again registrant is also admin and tech.

Domain Name: sbspice.com
Registry Domain ID: 128819431_DOMAIN_COM-VRSN
Registrar WHOIS Server: whois.names4ever.com
Registrar URL: http://www.aplus.net
Updated Date: 2016-09-17T16:37:49Z
Creation Date: 2004-08-31T18:05:03Z
Registrar Registration Expiration Date: 2017-08-31T18:05:03Z
Registrar: Deluxe Small Business Sales, Inc. d/b/a Aplus.net
Registrar IANA ID: 52
Registrar Abuse Contact Email: dns@aplus.net
Registrar Abuse Contact Phone: +1.8557918966
Reseller: Deluxe Small Business Sales, Inc. d/b/a Aplus.net
Domain Status: ok http://icann.org/epp#OK
Registry Registrant ID:
Registrant Name: J Marshall
Registrant Organization: Santa Barbara Spice
Registrant Street: 33912 Silver Lantern
Registrant City: Dana Point
Registrant State/Province: CA
Registrant Postal Code: 92629
Registrant Country: US
Registrant Phone: +1.7144040811
Registrant Phone Ext.:
Registrant Fax:
Registrant Fax Ext.:
Registrant Email: info@nmedia3.com
Registry Admin ID:

Hmmmmm.... if they are both the same company, why are the Whois results completely different??? And why use different networks?

Spicy Gourmet

OrgName: Shopify, Inc.
OrgId: SHOPI-1
Address: 150 Elgin Street, 8th Floor
City: Ottawa
StateProv: ON
PostalCode: K2P 1L4
RegDate: 2013-07-09
Updated: 2014-10-31

Santa Barbara Spice

OrgName: Amazon Technologies Inc.
OrgId: AT-88-Z
Address: 410 Terry Ave N.
City: Seattle
StateProv: WA
PostalCode: 98109
RegDate: 2011-12-08
Updated: 2014-10-20

The mystery deepens...

The address given in the Whois registrant field for Spicy Gourmet is 1303A Kowalski Ave. Santa Barbara, California 93101. A search reveals it belongs to "BodyKind Pilates & Movement Arts Studio". The address given for Santa Barbara Spice is 33912 Silver Lantern, Dana Point, CA 92629. A search reveals this to be either an apartment or a condo unit.

None of the info matches on anything.

While the address tuskers listed from the Santa Barbara Spice Company goes to a UPS store, and the registrant address goes to a home, Santa Barbara Spice's website Find Us page lists several area businesses where you can purchase their products. The Santa Barbara Spice website makes no mention of 'organic', no claim, only Spicy Gourmet adds the word 'organic'. They also sell a unique custom spice blend, it is their only product, and is only available through the retailers listed in the Find Us page. They can arrange to ship it, and give a contact email to inquire, but they don't normally sell through an online store. They look to be legit, a small business being run from home, with product distribution through area retailers. The Spicy Gourmet is a fake site trying to sound legit by aligning themselves with a real one. And the Whois appears to support this, as GoDaddy and Shopify are both frequently used by scam websites.

rated:
ctgolfer said:   Thanks MrsGuin - I'll give it a try. That's what a fake email address can be used for.

But they have your real NAZ, you can't fake that, 'cause that's where they have to ship your widget! Except there isn't a widget to ship, this is another scam. True, they can't spam you because of your use of a fake email addy, but that really doesn't matter to them. They sell your NAZ and email addy (fake or not) to spam, and junk mail lists. They make money, a lot of money, selling your info. Those who buy the lists use them to send spam and junk mail your way. And some who buy those lists are scam artists looking for identity theft victims, they have your NAZ, they have bots, keystroke loggers and other stuff where they can get more about you. If they're lucky and hit pay-dirt, you will be a victim, and you may not even know.

There are measures you can take, 1) Register your NAZ with the Direct Marketing Association mail removal list. Legitimate businesses who buy these lists will scrub your name from them, and you will not receive any unwanted junk mail from them. Members of the Direct Marketing Association only send materials to you, if you have had a previous relationship with them. Here is the webpage for DMAChoice, https://dmachoice.thedma.org/#   They now have an email opt-out list, it will prevent DMA businesses from contacting you, but won't stop non-DMA spammers. 2) Keep your malware/spyware software up-to-date and scan regularly to further protect yourself. Your NAZ is only so useful to identity thieves, they need to get into your PC to get other nuggets of info before they can steal your identity.

I, and mumzof2, and even tuskers here above, are pointing out these scams to help FW users be safe online. Also, if we can stop users from giving info to these scammers, their money will dry up, and they will fold. Why should they make money selling your info? Don't let them.

rated:
Although I believe this post is a scam, I want to take the opportunity to thank MsGuin for all the time and effort she puts into posting here.
One bad apple does not spoil the bushel

rated:
SweetClover said:   
ctgolfer said:   Thanks MrsGuin - I'll give it a try. That's what a fake email address can be used for.

But they have your real NAZ, you can't fake that, 'cause that's where they have to ship your widget! Except there isn't a widget to ship, this is another scam. True, they can't spam you because of your use of a fake email addy, but that really doesn't matter to them. They sell your NAZ and email addy (fake or not) to spam, and junk mail lists. They make money, a lot of money, selling your info. Those who buy the lists use them to send spam and junk mail your way. And some who buy those lists are scam artists looking for identity theft victims, they have your NAZ, they have bots, keystroke loggers and other stuff where they can get more about you. If they're lucky and hit pay-dirt, you will be a victim, and you may not even know.

There are measures you can take, 1) Register your NAZ with the Direct Marketing Association mail removal list. Legitimate businesses who buy these lists will scrub your name from them, and you will not receive any unwanted junk mail from them. Members of the Direct Marketing Association only send materials to you, if you have had a previous relationship with them. Here is the webpage for DMAChoice, https://dmachoice.thedma.org/#   They now have an email opt-out list, it will prevent DMA businesses from contacting you, but won't stop non-DMA spammers. 2) Keep your malware/spyware software up-to-date and scan regularly to further protect yourself. Your NAZ is only so useful to identity thieves, they need to get into your PC to get other nuggets of info before they can steal your identity.

I, and mumzof2, and even tuskers here above, are pointing out these scams to help FW users be safe online. Also, if we can stop users from giving info to these scammers, their money will dry up, and they will fold. Why should they make money selling your info? Don't let them.

As a previous victim of identity theft (which incidentally took almost 9 years to clear up) as well as being currently employed in fraud operations management for an enormous, nationally recognized bank, I can confirm beyond the shadow of a doubt that "mindlessly" throwing around your personally identifying information with no regard for you or your family's privacy or safety, is a prime example of only one of the ways these "thiefs" tar-get people.  Absolutely!!  TETO 

(SC... I also noticed the link in the OP goes nowhere.) 

rated:
^^^^ KCQT,sorry that happened to you.

I have a fake sign-up account with Blur, I can create a custom email for each form. I have been quite amazed at the spam arriving in my fake email 'inbox', as it gets sold on list, after list, after list, even though it's a dead-end account. I then block it, then it's useless to the spammers, and they scrub it from their lists when they realize it's not an actual email account, but a bot keeping a list, and bouncing spam back to them. A USPS verification confirms the NAZ I provided is a fake, so they can't sell it to anybody, as list buyers only want USPS verifiable NAZ's. But it lets me 'test' offers, as scams almost always have 3rd party pop-ups to known scammers or MLM scams. So, I use 'useless' info that is neither sell-able, nor profitable, as I don't want them to earn money from my info, and I sure as heck don't want identity thieves accessing the real NAZ.

My sister had her identity stolen when she attended college in Florida. Luckily, the creditors were highly suspicious of the purchases, and quickly shut down the fake credit accounts they opened in her name - especially because she no longer was a student living there, she had moved to an entirely different state where she was pursuing her Masters.

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2016