• filter:

Free Anti-Ransomware (stops WannaCry)

  • Page :
  • 1
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
Voting History
rated:

Member Summary
Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

rated:
And how do we know this isn't a ploy to download something that has Ransomeware in it?

rated:
I have been using this for awhile now and its not a ploy.

rated:
What's there to stop? I thought Wannacry was already stopped, by activating a kill switch (a domain name was activated, and Wannacry stopped spreading)?

rated:
canoeguy1 said:   What's there to stop? I thought Wannacry was already stopped, by activating a kill switch (a domain name was activated, and Wannacry stopped spreading)?
  It only temporarily stopped it.
https://www.vox.com/new-money/2017/5/15/15641196/wannacry-ransom...

rated:
VegasVegan said:   
canoeguy1 said:   What's there to stop? I thought Wannacry was already stopped, by activating a kill switch (a domain name was activated, and Wannacry stopped spreading)?
  It only temporarily stopped it.
https://www.vox.com/new-money/2017/5/15/15641196/wannacry-ransomware-windows-xp

  Yes, but those new versions of the malware have to spread again before they can cause damage. They're starting from zero infestations, and Microsoft has released a security patch even for Windows XP by now.
I doubt that any new versions will get far on this particular exploit.
The lesson here is to get rid of Windows XP and move to a modern OS. Putting some no-name security program on an ancient computer doesn't solve the problem, since the hackers will simply exploit some other aspect of XP that isn't patched.
Given that a modern computer with WIndows 10 costs approx $150, maybe it's time for home users still running a 16-year-old OS to update...
 

rated:
Agreed. Why go third party when Microsoft released a patch for all the dinos still running XP. And either keep your $hit up to date or keep it offline.

rated:
WannaCry works by creating encrypted copies of your files and deleting the original files (it doesn't encrypts the files itself).
Fill up your computer's hard drive (e.g.videos) till there is hardly any space left.
Since there is no space to make copies it can't work.

rated:

rated:
marcopolomle said:   WannaCry works by creating encrypted copies of your files and deleting the original files (it doesn't encrypts the files itself).
Fill up your computer's hard drive (e.g.videos) till there is hardly any space left.
Since there is no space to make copies it can't work.

  Interesting idea.
However, you can't use the computer for much if you fill up the drive.
A simple upgrade to Win 10, or at least the latest security patch, sounds a bit more practical.

And make backups. That solves any ransomware issue.

rated:
Microsoft released patches for all operating systems that have Automatic Updates, so this is already a dead issue for nearly every computer with internet access.

Other than a good antivirus, there are imo only two other products worth looking at to improve security, and those are Malwarebytes and Spybot - Search and destroy.

  • Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply
     
    Click here for full-featured reply.


Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017