• filter:
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
Voting History
rated:
Most San Francisco residents know that many museums in the City by the Bay offer one free admission day every month, usually at the beginning of the month. Since I haven't found any post about this, I thought I would post. Tourists should find this list helpful too!

If you are a retired or an active military member, please inquire at the box office or visit the Web sites below for information about free admission for you and your guests.  Also check out the Blue Star Families free admission program from Memorial Day through Labor Day. 

This list will be updated periodically to reflect the latest dates and details. Click on each site for hours. Free days, based on a check of museums' Web sites, are accurate as of 6/1/16.

BANK OF AMERICA MUSEUMS ON US Free admission every first full weekend (Saturday and Sunday) of each month until December 2017 at participating museums nationwide with your Bank of America card and photo ID. Check out the BofA program Web site here for details. For participating San Francisco museums, please see below.

CHECK OUT SAN FRANCISCO FAMILY PASS PROGRAM  - Use the family pass to enjoy free admission to many of the San Francisco museums and attractions.

SPECIAL ONE-TIME FREE MUSEUM DAYS

>> San Francisco Zoo  - There is no longer a regularly scheduled monthly free day (used to be the first Wednesday of each month).  As of now, the Zoo has free days randomly.  The next free day is Wednesday, January 4, 2017.  Proof of residency required.

>> Museum of the African Diaspora  - This museum is rarely free so take advantage of two free admission days in January.  Monday, January 16 for Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. National Day of Service and Thursday, January 19 for Third Thursdays in Yerba Buena (which could become a monthly free day).

>> Exploratorium - There is no longer a monthly free day. There will be five and an half free days in 2017.  They are Free Community Day (January 22, 2017), Pi Day (March 14, 2017), Mother’s Day (May 14, 2017), Free Community NIGHT (after 5pm on June 23, 2017), Free Community Day (September 23, 2017), Free Community Day (October 22, 2017). FYI - The admission cost has been raised drastically to $29.95 per adult. If you live in one of the nine San Francisco Bay Area counties, you qualify for special rates (see Web site for details). California public school teachers can request their free tickets here

>> San Francisco Museum of Modern Art  - SF MOMA - The next Free Family Day has not been announced.  You will need a child 18 and under to accompany you in order to get free admission.  For more information, keep an eye out at https://www.sfmoma.org/visit/free-family-day-faq/.  The museum said it would provide free admission days information after Labor Day 2016 but that has not happened.  

>> California Academy of Sciences - There is no longer a sponsor for the monthly free day. For 2017, the next free day is Sunday, February 26, 2017. Additionally, you will get in free during the usual Neighborhood Free Weekends in Spring and Fall by zip code. Click here for the 2017 California Academy of Sciences Neighborhood Free Weekends Calendar for San Francisco residents.   

REGULARLY SCHEDULED FREE MUSEUM DAYS

Every Day
Cable Car Museum (always free)
Golden Gate Fortune Cookie Factory (always free) - Not a museum, but tourists should find this very interesting if they happen to be in Chinatown.
Musee Mechanique - Mechanical Museum (always free) - Used to be at Cliff House.
San Francisco Botanical Garden (always free for everyone from 7:30am to 9am and all day for SF residents with proof of residency) - Fee for non-San Francisco residents after 9am daily, click on link for exact details.

Every Monday, Wednesday, Friday - 9am to 10am
Japanese Tea Garden - [unofficial Web site ] thanks FatWallet member texascountrymama for the unofficial link

Every Monday through Friday
Wells Fargo History Museum (always free)

Every Tuesday through Saturday
Randall Museum (always free) - now at temporary location in the Mission District until construction completed in 2017
SF Camerawork (always free) 

Every Tuesday through Sunday
Museo ItaloAmericano - Italian American Museum (always free)
International Art Museum of America (always free)
San Francisco Railway Museum (always free)

First Tuesday of Each Month - Next One: Tuesday, 1/3
Carton Art Museum - Closed until further notice     
Conservatory of Flowers         
Contemporary Jewish Museum 
de Young Museum        
Legion of Honor         
San Francisco Museum of Craft+Design         
Yerba Buena Center for the Arts Galleries 

Second Tuesday of Each Month - Next One: Tuesday, 1/10
San Francisco Botanical Garden (always free for everyone from 7:30am to 9am and all day for SF residents with proof of residency) - Fee for non-San Francisco residents after 9am daily, but free for everyone on the second Tuesday of each month, New Year's Day, Thanksgiving Day, and Christmas Day. Click on link for exact details.

First Wednesday of Each Month - Next One: Wednesday, 1/4
GLBT History Museum       

Every Thursday through Sunday
San Francisco Fire Museum (always free) - As staffing permits.  Call before going.
The Mexican Museum (always free) 

Every First Full Weekend - Saturday and Sunday of Each Month until December 2017* - Next One: 1/7 and 1/8
*with Bank of America card and photo ID only - check BofA's Museums on Us Web site for more details         
Contemporary Jewish Museum - also free on the first Tuesday of each month
de Young Museum - also free on the first Tuesday of each month
Legion of Honor - also free on the first Tuesday of each month

First Sunday of Each Month - Next One: Sunday, 1/8 (Second Sunday for January due to 1/1 being on a holiday)
Asian Art Museum 
Chinese Historical Society of America (used to be always free every Tuesday through Saturday.  Thanks ottersf for the update!) 

Please PM me any additions and inaccuracies.

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
It's that time again - Free museum admission today and next week, for the most part.  Enjoy and explore San Francisco!

So... (more)

baileysf (Oct. 02, 2016 @ 10:14a) |

It's that time again - Free museum admission this weekend, for the most part.

Enjoy and explore San Francisco!

PM me if yo... (more)

baileysf (Nov. 03, 2016 @ 3:37p) |

Hope everyone enjoyed the holidays and HAPPY NEW YEAR!

It's that time again - Free museum admission this coming week, for... (more)

baileysf (Dec. 31, 2016 @ 5:50p) |

Quick Summary is created and edited by users like you... Add FAQ's, Links and other Relevant Information by clicking the edit button in the lower right hand corner of this message.
Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

rated:
great post. thx

rated:
Great Post !!! Thanks a Lot

rated:
Fantastic and extremely helpful summary, baileysf!

Thanks so much for putting the time & effort into crafting this post, and a (slightly be-earlied) Happy New Year to you, as well.

rated:
Wonderful list! Thank you, OP! Would love to participate in some of the Family Appreciation museums but I need a kid as my meal ticket in. =(

rated:
Thanks, OP.

rated:
Don't forget - Family Appreciation Day is this Sunday!

rated:
It's that time again - Free museum admission for the next couple weeks, for the most part. Enjoy and explore San Francisco!

rated:
You may want to add 3rd sunday I believe which is free day for San Jose Tech musuem and Oakland Art/history museums

rated:
It's that time again - Free museum admission for the next couple weeks, for the most part. Enjoy and explore San Francisco!

rated:
It's that time again - Free admission to most museums next week and throughout the month of May. Enjoy and explore San Francisco!

Let me know if you know of any other free sites!

rated:
Very cool! Thanks OP!!

rated:
thks

rated:
Thanks Bailey.

Bailey said: Musee Mechanique - Mechanical Museum - Used to be at Cliff House

You scared me for a minute. I read "used to be the Cliff House..." I thought they had closed down the restaurant and made it into a museum. LOL

rated:

rated:
bump

rated:
Thanks chan101qua!

Don't forget Asian Art Museum's 40th Anniversary Celebration! See above for more details.

rated:
Don't forget about this weekend's...

Asian Art Museum's 40th Anniversary Celebration!
Saturday, 6/17 and Sunday, 6/18 - 10:00am–5:00pm

Link for more information

rated:
in case you're wondering, it is a wonderful museum, showcasing artifacts from various asian cultures ... including those from india, thai, tibet, china, japan, korea... they have a new exhibit coming out this weekend as well

rated:
It's that time again - Free museum admission next week, for the most part. Enjoy and explore San Francisco! And happy 4th!!!

rated:
It's that time again - Free museum admission for this week and next week, for the most part. Enjoy and explore San Francisco!

rated:
It's that time again - Free museum admission for this week, for the most part. Enjoy and explore San Francisco!

rated:
Any posts for NYC?

rated:
WOW! This is actually helpful. I wish I had this when I was back in SF a month ago.

rated:
It's that time again - Free museum admission next week, for the most part. Enjoy and explore San Francisco!

Don't forget about Museum Day 2006 this Saturday, 9/30. Refer to the top of the posting for more information.

rated:
It's that time again - Free museum admission next week or two, for the most part. Enjoy and explore San Francisco!

rated:
It's that time again - Free museum admission next week or two, for the most part. Enjoy and explore San Francisco!

rated:
It's that time again - Free museum admission next week or two, for the most part. Enjoy and explore San Francisco! Happy new year!

rated:
Also, check entertainment's SaversGuide, they have BOGO coupon for a number of museum

rated:
Wells Fargo Second Sundays!

Enjoy a free visit to the Oakland Museum of California on the second Sunday of every month*, courtesy of Wells Fargo

*Good through April 14, 2007

Edited: Please note that opening hour on Sunday is 12noon - 5

rated:
Museum of the African Diaspora

This is your chance! This museum rarely offers free days!!!

Free Admission
Saturday, February 17
10am-4pm

Join Bay Area families as we celebrate the New Orleans tradition of Mardi Gras in a day full of live performances, hands-on activities, and interactive exhibitions at the Museum of the African Diaspora.

MOAD
685 Mission Street/at Third Street - Close to SFMOMA and Metreon
San Francisco, CA 94105
415-358-7200
http://www.moadsf.org

rated:

Also check out the original posting for information about free admission to San Francisco Zoo to all born in the Year of the Pig - until March 4.

rated:

-I made a few updates to the list after completing a check of all the Web sites.

-New! San Francisco Railway Museum.

-Today, Sunday, April 1 only - San Francisco residents with zip codes 94117, 94114 & 94131 get free admission to the California Academy of Sciences. For more details, click here - http://www.calacademy.org/geninfo/newsroom/releases/2007/NFD2007.php

rated:
Bank of America - Museum on Us

A world-class museum experience. Free with your Bank of America card during the entire month of May.

2007 marks the tenth year of Museums on Us in the Northeast, and we are pleased to announce that this year we have expanded to California.

Here is the list for San Francisco. Offer valid 5/1/07 - 5/31/07. Photo ID and any Bank of America Credit Card, ATM card, Check Card, or MBNA Credit Card must be presented. Excludes fundraising events, special exhibitions, and ticketed shows. Free admission limited to cardholder and one guest.

Asian Art Museum
California Academy of Sciences
de Young Museum
Legion of Honor
San Francisco Museum of Modern Art - SF MOMA
Yerba Buena Center for the Arts Galleries

For more information about Bank of America's Museums on Us program, click on here or go to http://www.bankofamerica.com/museumsinmay

rated:
Thank you BaileySF! I look forward to your updates every month.

rated:
Thanks. OP

rated:
is it really gonna be free in SF?...coz i clicked on all the details and then at each individual link it lists some sort of discount or promo only...or some surcharge due to special exhibits.

really hope it pans out coz i have 2 guests from outta town who i can bring...

rated:
slycat said: is it really gonna be free in SF?...coz i clicked on all the details and then at each individual link it lists some sort of discount or promo only...or some surcharge due to special exhibits.

really hope it pans out coz i have 2 guests from outta town who i can bring...

The links that you clicked are actual museums' Web sites. You should click on the Bank of America's Web site for Museum on Us program information. As noted in the fine print, free admission does not include fundraising events, special exhibitions, and ticketed shows.

Make sure two people from your party have Bank of America cards since one card = you and one guest only.

rated:
thanks..i'll try come May. yes, they'll be 2 of us with BOA cards and 2 guests+5yr old.

Skipping 180 Messages...
rated:
Hope everyone enjoyed the holidays and HAPPY NEW YEAR!

It's that time again - Free museum admission this coming week, for the most part.

Enjoy and explore San Francisco and mark your calendars for 2017!

Asian Art Museum's January free day is Sunday, 1/8/17 since 1/1/17 is a holiday.

SF Zoo's January free day is Wednesday, 1/4/17.

Bank of America's Museums on Us continues into 2017 - Contemporary Art Museum, De Young Museum, and Legion of Honor are the participating museums.  January's free days are Saturday and Sunday, January 7 and 8.  Free days are the first FULL Saturday and Sunday of the month.  Mark your calendars for the rest of the year.

Museum of the African Diaspora - Free on Monday, January 16 and Thursday, January 19.  Rarely free so take advantage of these.

California Academy of Sciences announced its next quarterly free day - Sunday, February 26, 2017.  It also released Spring's Neighborhood Free Weekends.  Mark your calendars!

The Exploratorium is having its next free day on Sunday, January 22, 2017.  Check original post on the first page for free days for the rest of 2017.  Mark your calendars!

Mark Your Calendars: The Giants Fan Fest at AT&T Park will be held on Saturday, February 11, 2017.

No free days for SF Museum of Modern Art have been announced.

PM me if you have any additions or comments.

Happy New Year!

Back to the top of the posting 

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017