CVS: Some Stores No Longer accepting Expired Extra Bucks (no grace period)

Archived From: Grocery & Drugstore
  • Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Was at CVS this afternoon and over heard them telling another customer they were no longer able to accept Expired ECB's as part of the coupon policy change that went into effect about a month ago.

I inquired with the cashier and she said their store was told by corporate to no longer accept them. Also, they are no longer allowing post sale coupons (even the same day or next day). 

Not sure how strictly this is being enforced chain wide, but in my case, I was sitting on a $20 ECB which expires in 6 days, so I went ahead and got merchandise for it. In no mood to get stuck with a useless $20 ECB come next week.

So if you have any short dated ECB's, check with your stores and be sure to burn them in the event they are worthless come expiration date.

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
I doubt it will work. The store manager I interacted with the other day told me expired extra care bucks wouldn't scan e... (more)

ggcanna (Oct. 06, 2016 @ 8:54p) |

UPDATE:

Total success.

I went personally into the CVS I use for pharmacy services, not the original CVS from 4 years ago t... (more)

JiggleTheHandle (Oct. 12, 2016 @ 12:10a) |

Good job, congrats.  I've asked several managers but no luck.  I'll keep trying...maybe I'll find one in a suit.

dkong (Oct. 14, 2016 @ 2:50p) |

Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Old news - been this way for a few weeks now. It's ALL stores. Being strictly enforced in all stores I have been to and widely reported on all other forums.

SafetyDance said:   Old news - been this way for a few weeks now. It's ALL stores. Being strictly enforced in all stores I have been to and widely reported on all other forums.

Link to it being widely reported on a FAT WALLET forum?

Love how people scream "old news" but never bother to share it when they find out, then bitch at the person who finally does post it.

RED.

MISTERCHEAP said:   
SafetyDance said:   Old news - been this way for a few weeks now. It's ALL stores. Being strictly enforced in all stores I have been to and widely reported on all other forums.

Love how people scream "old news" but never bother to share it when they find out, then bitch at the person who finally does post it.

RED.

Simple - no posts here because no one uses this forum.  No use wasting my keystrokes.

SafetyDance said:   
MISTERCHEAP said:   

RED.

Simple - no posts here because no one uses this forum.  No use wasting my keystrokes.

such a troll.

SafetyDance said:   
MISTERCHEAP said:   

RED.

"no posts here because no one uses this forum.  No use wasting my keystrokes"

Well apparently you still look at this forum and have already wasted your keystrokes twice on this post.

You posted it yourself, MisterC.  Stores are just figuring out the new policies.  It was fun while it lasted.  I was out of town during the last week of July and had a large ECB expire.  I went to the store right before I left for the coke deal and they were out of the flavor I get.  I got a raincheck and told them my ecb would expire by the time I got back.  The manager had no problem with me using the expired when I got back, but said she couldn't do it again.

Also states that CVS coupons may not be valid on sale or clearance items, which is causing more confusion.

https://www.fatwallet.com/forums/grocery-coupons/1517990

briarycliffs said:   You posted it yourself, MisterC.  Stores are just figuring out the new policies.  It was fun while it lasted.  I was out of town during the last week of July and had a large ECB expire.  I went to the store right before I left for the coke deal and they were out of the flavor I get.  I got a raincheck and told them my ecb would expire by the time I got back.  The manager had no problem with me using the expired when I got back, but said she couldn't do it again.

Also states that CVS coupons may not be valid on sale or clearance items, which is causing more confusion.

https://www.fatwallet.com/forums/grocery-coupons/1517990

that was a link to the policy, however at that time, this particular issue was not defined. Many thought that was referencing product/manufacturer type coupons. Not extra care bucks.

Ugh Vey, I threw out my expired ECB's, not knowing I could have used them! Is there such a thing as time travel?

Wow, I've created the most activity in this forum in a long time. Maybe I should be in the FW marketing department, they could certainly use the help.

MC, I never find anything to get most of the time at CVS. When they have cereal, it's oos the same with everything else and its in stores in upstate ny and where I work in manhattan. I gave up on on them months ago when they stopped redeeming the EB for milk. BTW the Bumble BEE tuna in my stores ar .99 is OOS at 3 CVS near me. And I always lose rainchecks. I do better with the sales at Shoprite S&S etc. Also the PP from RA are great since I don't have to carry around small bits of paper.

barrytuneup said:   MC, I never find anything to get most of the time at CVS. When they have cereal, it's oos the same with everything else and its in stores in upstate ny and where I work in manhattan. I gave up on on them months ago when they stopped redeeming the EB for milk. BTW the Bumble BEE tuna in my stores ar .99 is OOS at 3 CVS near me. And I always lose rainchecks. I do better with the sales at Shoprite S&S etc. Also the PP from RA are great since I don't have to carry around small bits of paper.

I don't shop at CVS like I used to, but when a good MM deal comes along, I typically take advantage of it.  Yes, stores are often OOS, but I get rain checks and have learned to just throw them in an envelope I keep in the glove compartment of my car, so I always have them Handy and they NEVER expire (unlike the ECB's).  However, I think it is wrong of CVS not to extend the life of your ECB if you were trying to use it on an OOS item. I don't like being forced to spend it on stuff I don't want or need or overpay for something.

As for milk, yes, been that way for some time in my area. 

Speaking of the Bumble Bee, that's exactly what I burned my $20 ECB on yesterday. got 21 cans for 79c oop total.  My store was well stocked, until I showed up! We go thru a good amount of tuna and 99c is a decent if not rock bottom price for it these days. The ECB I had was from a MM deal, so the $21 worth of Tuna only cost me $14 upfront to get the $20 ECB.

None of the NYC stores are accepting them, as of a few weeks ago.  It happened suddenly, without warning, without giving us a chance to use them.  I have about $100 of them on more than one card, some dating back to 2015.  I even called customer relations and they refused to reissue them.

OK - the last time I shopped at CVS which was several months ago, they would still accept expired ECBs if they scanned fine  (usually had a grace period of about a week I think). But that was then. Are you saying their POS won't scan them anymore if they are expired or the cashiers are told to pay attention to the date and not even attempt to scan if they did expire  ?

Like I said, I rarely shop at CVS these days but I am curious if they made systemic changes or policy changes/reinforcement recently for ECB redemption

gocint said:   OK - the last time I shopped at CVS which was several months ago, they would still accept expired ECBs if they scanned fine  (usually had a grace period of about a week I think). But that was then. Are you saying their POS won't scan them anymore if they are expired or the cashiers are told to pay attention to the the date and not even attempt to scan if they did expire  ?

Like I said, I rarely shop at CVS these days but I am curious if they made systemic changes or policy changes/reinforcement recently for ECB redemption

They don't even attempt to scan them if it's past the date, although one store told me they'll do it within 2 days past the date.  But if it's only a week or 2 past, you can probably do it yourself at self checkout and it should go through.

Stores are pointing to their new (August) policy and declining expired extra bucks.

The system is now getting to complicated so I will no longer shop at CVS.

Given their poor wording in their advertisements and showing the post extra bucks price in large print, hopefully a class action lawsuit will clean this up.

look4deals said:   Stores are pointing to their new (August) policy and declining expired extra bucks.

The system is now getting to complicated so I will no longer shop at CVS.

Given their poor wording in their advertisements and showing the post extra bucks price in large print, hopefully a class action lawsuit will clean this up.

I here you, but 99% chance that there's no Lawsuit! CVS is miles above Walgreen's! Everytime, I go into a few Walgreen's, they peruse the coupons, their flyer you have to cut out the coupons, and show it to them, etc. It take 2x as long, as CVS.

I had no clue printed CVS Rewards never expire until about 4 years ago when a CVS was OOS of a sale item, and the store manager said no worry about waiting around with a rain check, because CVS Rewards never expire.

For 4 years there was no problem at any CVS no matter how old the Rewards. They all took expired rewards.  Everyone agrees that store managers routinely told customers that CVS Rewards never expire before the change.  Like other people, I receive email offers and surveys from CVS about two times a week. In June there was no warning of a change.  In July there was no warning of a change.  In August and September no warnings sent that all of the CVS Rewards I was holding would be worthless.

Only the day a customer attempts to use saved Rewards, do they learn they are worthless. This is an unfair sneak attack on long-time customers. CVS takes the effort to send new offers every week, but remains silent as they make CVS Rewards worthless. 

When I called the CVS CS number, they said that starting to enforce an old policy (expiration dates) that was never enforced before "is not creating a new policy" so CVS had no need to contact customers.

I hope there is a class action.  Is there a web site for suggesting new class actions?

so true cvs is great in comparison to Walgreens , but Rite Aid is amazing as well , hopefully Walgreens , the new owner of Rite Aid will not ruin Rite Aid . i never understand why people go to Walgreens 

henryj1 said:   so true cvs is great in comparison to Walgreens , but Rite Aid  is amazing as well , hopefully Walgreens , the new owner of Rite Aid  will not ruin Rite Aid  . i never understand why people go to Walgreens
  The reason I go to Walgreen's, to pick up my Prescriptions, (Aetna uses Walgreens, as the preferred source), and AARP for free, if you buy $15 of health products.  

JiggleTheHandle said:   I had no clue printed CVS Rewards never expire until about 4 years ago when a CVS was OOS of a sale item, and the store manager said no worry about waiting around with a rain check, because CVS Rewards never expire.

For 4 years there was no problem at any CVS no matter how old the Rewards. They all took expired rewards.  Everyone agrees that store managers routinely told customers that CVS Rewards never expire before the change.  Like other people, I receive email offers and surveys from CVS about two times a week. In June there was no warning of a change.  In July there was no warning of a change.  In August and September no warnings sent that all of the CVS Rewards I was holding would be worthless.

Only the day a customer attempts to use saved Rewards, do they learn they are worthless. This is an unfair sneak attack on long-time customers. CVS takes the effort to send new offers every week, but remains silent as they make CVS Rewards worthless. 

When I called the CVS CS number, they said that starting to enforce an old policy (expiration dates) that was never enforced before "is not creating a new policy" so CVS had no need to contact customers.

I hope there is a class action.  Is there a web site for suggesting new class actions?

The Extra Bucks have an expiration date clearly printed on them, so I basically agree with CVS's argument.  But in your case, if a manager told you they never expire, maybe you can talk to that manager and get a one-time exception (managers are still able to do things like manually enter a coupon amount, or give you a gift card, or probably they can manually print new Extra Bucks).

dkong said:   
gocint said:   OK - the last time I shopped at CVS which was several months ago, they would still accept expired ECBs if they scanned fine  (usually had a grace period of about a week I think). But that was then. Are you saying their POS won't scan them anymore if they are expired or the cashiers are told to pay attention to the the date and not even attempt to scan if they did expire  ?

They don't even attempt to scan them if it's past the date, although one store told me they'll do it within 2 days past the date.  But if it's only a week or 2 past, you can probably do it yourself at self checkout and it should go through.

Anyone confirm if they work ok at self checkout, for a few days? 

I doubt it will work. The store manager I interacted with the other day told me expired extra care bucks wouldn't scan even if she wanted to take them. The corporate has updated the system nationwide to make sure no more expired ECBs are taken according to her and she seemed very courteous and sincere to me. The manager suggested me call CVS' customer service line and try to get those expired ECBs re-issued (totaled $11 for me). I did today but was refused even though both coupons expired on 9/30, just 6 days ago. Wish I had seen this thread earlier.

In the past I sometimes ended up buying things I didn't need or at a poor deal just to redeem the ECBs on hand before they go expire. But then return items purchased with ECBs and manufacturer coupons has also become more difficult at some CVS stores. Once I was refused to return a product (I bought the wrong variety by mistake) and get a full refund for its price in form of a money card even though I was going to use it right away on purchasing another variety of the same brand, same product, on sale for the same price with the same checkout associate. The reason being I used both manufacture's coupon and CVS coupon (ECB is considered as coupon) in my initial purchase and never paid the full price---as if manufacturer's coupons and ECBs aren't forms of payment!

Really pissed by CVS' shitty attitude towards customers in this recent move. I wish there is at least one Rite Aid or Walgreens in my town instead of 5 or 6 CVS stores!

UPDATE:

Total success.

I went personally into the CVS I use for pharmacy services, not the original CVS from 4 years ago that promised the CVS Rewards never expire, and asked to speak with a manager, and was pointed to his location.  The manager was speaking with someone in a suit, and the man in a suit asked if he could help me, and I said I wanted to speak with the manager who then stepped forward.  I showed him my last receipt with nearly 200 total pharmacy refills in 2016 (family with many children with chronic needs) and said I wanted to give CVS one last chance before switching to Walgreens. ..

...as an aside, I have CVS's north south east and west, but none of them are as close as some Walgreens and RiteAids.  So to shop at a CVS, it is much more of a hike than the closest option.  I do it only because the CVS Rewards benefit my family shopping better than Walgreens or RiteAid Rewards.  Anyway...

...I really did not need to press the issue.  He interupted my "this is unfair" speel (see above) and quickly said he would fix all of my expired Rewards.

This is how he did it... he did not scan any of my old Rewards prints which were all from the summer or go into my history or reprint them.  He scanned his manager codes, and manually punched in the total dollar amount (under $30) and the register printed out a Rewards bar code for the total dollar amount with a new 30-day expiration.

In short, I went into the store during business hours, dressed nice, was polite, and showed that I was a valuable customer.  But maybe none of that mattered because the guy in the suit was a DM or something.  I cannot say for sure.

JiggleTheHandle said:   UPDATE:

Total success.

I went personally into the CVS I use for pharmacy services, not the original CVS from 4 years ago that promised the CVS Rewards never expire, and asked to speak with a manager, and was pointed to his location.  The manager was speaking with someone in a suit, and the man in a suit asked if he could help me, and I said I wanted to speak with the manager who then stepped forward.  I showed him my last receipt with nearly 200 total pharmacy refills in 2016 (family with many children with chronic needs) and said I wanted to give CVS one last chance before switching to Walgreens. ..

...as an aside, I have CVS's north south east and west, but none of them are as close as some Walgreens and RiteAids.  So to shop at a CVS, it is much more of a hike than the closest option.  I do it only because the CVS Rewards benefit my family shopping better than Walgreens or RiteAid Rewards.  Anyway...

...I really did not need to press the issue.  He interupted my "this is unfair" speel (see above) and quickly said he would fix all of my expired Rewards.

This is how he did it... he did not scan any of my old Rewards prints which were all from the summer or go into my history or reprint them.  He scanned his manager codes, and manually punched in the total dollar amount (under $30) and the register printed out a Rewards bar code for the total dollar amount with a new 30-day expiration.

In short, I went into the store during business hours, dressed nice, was polite, and showed that I was a valuable customer.  But maybe none of that mattered because the guy in the suit was a DM or something.  I cannot say for sure.

Good job, congrats.  I've asked several managers but no luck.  I'll keep trying...maybe I'll find one in a suit.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017