• filter:
  • Page :
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
Voting History
Daily Mail article -- link:  http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3797157/German-grocery-c...

German grocery chain Lidl prepares to open in the U.S. from 2018 after crippling British rivals with its rock bottom prices
- Lidl aims to offer customers the highest-quality products at the lowest possible prices in convenient locations
- The chain has 10,000 stores in 26 European countries
- Arrival in the U.S. could force stores like Trader Joes, WalMart and Family Dollar to lower their prices to remain competitive

"The German grocery store Lidl which has 10,000 stores in Europe is now planning to open in the U.S.

Lidl, which is like a cross between WalMart and Trader Joe's, is to open stores from 2018.

Customers can expect big discounts on groceries, household appliances, clothes, and furniture.

Lidl has caused such an impact with its rock bottom prices in the UK that it has forced the country's biggest supermarkets to dramatically slash prices and even lay off workers to stay competitive.

The arrival of the chain into the United States could likely force supermarkets here to follow suit.

Stores including Food Lion, Bi-Lo, Winn Dixie, and dollar stores such as Dollar General and Family Dollar, could be forced to lower their prices as Lidl expands.

WalMart's Neighborhood Market could feel the greatest pressure of all, as Lidl stores will be of similar size, highly price competitive, and highly fine tuned to offer a relevant, convenient store experience. 

Lidl has already broken ground on a US distribution facility and headquarters in Virginia, which will cost about $200million, and it has staked out four possible store locations in the Richmond, Virginia, area.

The company has also snatched up leases in dozens of cities, according to local-news reports, and it's seeking store managers in areas including Burlington County, New Jersey; Richmond, Virginia; Charlotte and Raleigh, North Carolina; Greenville, South Carolina; and Augusta, Georgia.

Lidl has become a threat to the grocery industry because of its insanely cheap prices and emphasis on fresh food.

The stores are small, easy to shop, well located, and emphasize key categories such as fresh produce and prepared foods.

The chain manages to keep prices low by limiting inventory to a small selection of private-label items rather than traditional supermarkets which carry several different brands of a single product.

There is also much less by way of branding, presentation and customer service with many of the store's products displayed in their shipping cartons to make restocking quick and easy.
It means that less workers are needed on the sales floor.

Lidl also saves money by requiring customers to bring their own shopping bags and bag their own groceries.

The chain also offers appliances and furniture, and a couple of years ago began to enter the fashion world with a women's clothing collection that saw fuax leather jackets for less than $20.

Since the launch, Lidl has introduced a men's collection, a line of handbags, and a fitness brand.

The American stores will offer fresh meat, produce and bakery items, as well as a wide selection of household goods.

The company has conducted a good deal of market research in the U.S. and is hiring local talent in the markets it is operating in."

Member Summary
Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Since its HQ is in NoVA, why not have some stores here----after all, the only thing that's giant at Giant are the prices!

which states?

Went to Lidl yesterday (in Ireland).  It's pretty much the same as Aldi Ireland and Aldi UK.

NoMoneyInMyWallet said:   Went to Lidl yesterday (in Ireland).  It's pretty much the same as Aldi Ireland and Aldi UK.
Are the UK and Ireland Aldi stores similar to the ones in the US?

allerobed said:   NoMoneyInMyWallet said:   Went to Lidl yesterday (in Ireland).  It's pretty much the same as Aldi Ireland and Aldi UK.Are the UK and Ireland Aldi stores similar to the ones in the US?IMO, they are better than my local US Aldi; YMMV since US Aldi stores may vary.

FYI - Aldi UK, Ireland, and US are all part of Aldi Sud. Trader Joe's is part of Aldi Nord.

NoMoneyInMyWallet said:   IMO, they are better than my local US Aldi; YMMV since US Aldi stores may vary.

I agree with both opinions -- that UK Aldis seem to be better than US Aldis, and that US Aldi stores vary.

About 6 months ago, I described my local Aldi on Fatwallet:

"Except for some basics, you can't ever plan on their having something in stock -- or even a specified place for it on the shelf -- from month to month, or even from one day to the next.

That means we can't go in with much of a list of expected purchases, so our shopping focus there is narrow and we just expect to get the bulk of our provisions elsewhere.

The things we do end up getting "off-list" are things that pop up unexpectedly and we decide to try them, fully realizing that if we take something home and like it and want to buy more of it, it probably will only be offered for a week or two before disappearing for the next 8 months.

Our Aldi (in a town with plenty of room, empty commercial buildings, lowish rents, etc.) is pretty small, and always very crowded. Parking lot is full, the aisles are not big enough for their large carts so there are always "traffic jams", long waits at the 2 check-outs. Those issues, plus the fact that they only took cash until last week, were other reasons why we'd try to just run in and grab a few basic things that we know they offer at a decent quality for a good price, and get out of there.

Went to another city's Aldi recently and it had 2 more aisles than ours does, plus not as many shoppers, and the tossed-together stacks of food and stuff were not piled as high, so it felt more spacious and less claustrophobic.

I have no problem with discount, no-frills shopping experiences, but, on the whole, I find shopping at our local Aldi unpleasant and unpredictable."

more info

I'm not surprised about the criticism about hidden surveillance:

their US website is the last choice in the drop-down menu:

here are the US locations where they are currently hiring store managers, so presumably they are in the process of building stores in these towns:

deleted this - was a doublepost

I am glad about that

I guess I don't care for stores like this and Aldi, I want quality brands,
The 5 items I purchased at Aldi were pure crappy

Fell in love with Lidl this summer in Europe!!! Cant wait! Way better than Aldi!

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply
    Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2016