• filter:
  • Page :
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
Voting History
rated:
The Tops chain is from way way upstate NY. They have about 300 groceries and about 200 Tops gas stations. Anyone know much about them? The do have slick ads tho. They bought a store in my neck of the woods when Hannafords (great outfit) was forced to sell stores due to the S&S merger. The week before the big changeover, I was in Hannafords and was told by a Tops supervisor all the Hannafords brands are being sent back to Hannafords. Knowing their closest Tops grocery in about 100 miles away and the base of stores is in Buffalo/Syracuse/Saratoga etc, I asked how they are supplying this store.Was told 2 trailers from Depew NY (suburb of Buffalo) will be making a trip daily. (BTW, Shoprite and Key Food are down the road and a S&S is 5 miles away in Danbury CT). That explains why for the 3rd time today I tried to buy their sale items.  Gallon of 1% milk for 1.89 short dated, date was 10/28) !8 extra large eggs 99, was dated 10/30 and OOS on iceberg lettice for .89. Last week same thing with different items. They advertised on front page of last weeks ad 3lb  bag of Yams BOGO. OOS. Three weeks ago same thing/ different items. Pissed because it was a waste of gas, but found out the local SRite up the road is matching all their prices. Just bring in their ad and any Tops brand will be sold to you via the SR brand. I predict they won't last a year!! They actually deserve to fail, but feel bad for the old hannaford employees. Don't know why they bothered, big loss of $$. BTW they were also OOS on 1lb strawberries for 1.50. Don't bother with rain checks as I won't go back.

Member Summary
Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

rated:
I know the store you are talking about in Carmel, and they also bought one in Wappingers so not all that far away. They also bought a few other stores. I would not be real concerned about their supply issues, despite what you found.

They have a great deal this week. Garden Fresh soups are $5.99, B1G1F. There is a $6 WYB 2 Ibotta offer, so you get 2 containers for free. Even better, as soon as I scanned the first container, a $1 coupon printed that I used on the order. So 2 containers of pretty good fresh soup for $1.01 better than free.

Oh, and it was S&S that chose to sell the store and the others as a condition of their purchase of Hannaford's parent company. Your local Key Food is supposed to be torn down and a new Stop and Shop built there. So they had to get rid of the Hannaford store.

rated:
Last time we shopped at Tops was in Horsehead, NY.

Bought huge avocados for $1. One was great, the other stayed green & spoiled. 

The only reason we went there is because we "camped" on the Sam's Club parking lot touching their lot.
I wouldn't make a detour for a Tops.  For a Hanneford: Yes.

<< Gallon of 1% milk for 1.89 short dated >>
ShopRite in Medford, south Jersey:  the whole case, full price, expired on the 25 , sold on the 25th.  
I had to buy whole milk.
The only reason I shop there once in a while is I can walk there.

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2016