PRICES GOING DOWN?

Archived From: Grocery & Drugstore
  • Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
as all of us at FWF know by now, there have been many items we buy regularly that have dropped, and some by 40-50 %. I speak of: solid white canned tuna for .88-99/ (name brands) canned salmon Chicken of the sea .88/ milk gallons now 1.18, that's correct in WalMart in New Milford CT and RA is 2.63/ some gas stations now 1.99/ and S&S in my area at 2.79. Eggs now range from .89-1.49 dozen for large/extra large/Kleenex or Scott tissues in 160 or 120 ct Boxed .99 on this week .79 if you buy 10 at Acme. Other items too like most dairy items and ice cream. read something about not shipping to China anymore and Canadian dairies flooding New England and NY State. Thoughts?

Member Summary
Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Well they had eggs, (except for the poultry scare), Chicken of the sea, Scott tissues, on sale the last year, at about the same price! I think milk was higher, last year.

What is "FWF"?

Fwiw, there was a major recall on tuna about a year ago. Would check dates. At least bumblebee, if not others.

vadeltachi said:   What is "FWF"?

Fat Wallet Forums?

barrytuneup said:   as all of us at FWF know by now, there have been many items we buy regularly that have dropped, and some by 40-50 %. I speak of: solid white canned tuna for .88-99/ (name brands) canned salmon Chicken of the sea .88/ milk gallons now 1.18, that's correct in WalMart in New Milford CT and RA is 2.63/ some gas stations now 1.99/ and S&S in my area at 2.79. Eggs now range from .89-1.49 dozen for large/extra large/Kleenex or Scott tissues in 160 or 120 ct Boxed .99 on this week .79 if you buy 10 at Acme. Other items too like most dairy items and ice cream. read something about not shipping to China anymore and Canadian dairies flooding New England and NY State. Thoughts?

Eggs went Sky high about a year ago due to a flu affecting many egg laying hens which resulting in the culling of 1000's of birds. Eggs are back now in price where they were prior to that issue, so that explains eggs.

I've never paid more than 99c on sale for solid white tuna, and have seen at as cheap as 79c on recent sales wyb 10 at ShopRite.

Gasoline prices have been back down in the $2-2.50 range for quite some time, but the long term effect of lower and stable energy prices affects every single product delivered by truck or plane, and that includes virtually all grocery items.

Ice cream is not cheap, in fact over the last 3-4 years, while prices have stayed the same, 64oz cartons have gone down to 48z and in many brands, cheaper ingredients are being used, not real cream for instance.

Don't be fooled by lower/same prices if you're getting less for  your money. Many pasta boxes now only have 12oz in them, versus the 16oz they had for decades. paying $1 for a box of pasta with 12 oz in it, is actually 33-50% higher than a few years ago.

Edit to add: Milk prices by me are state regulated, sucks, very high in PA, about $3.50 a gallon on average.

NJ had cheaper milk prices for a long time, could pay $2.39 a gallon on sale in ShopRite, but those prices seemed to have climbed 40-70 c gallon the last 6 months for some reason (on sale)

barrytuneup said:   ...Kleenex or Scott tissues in 160 or 120 ct Boxed...

Are you sure about Kleenex? I only see Scott.

MISTERCHEAP said:   
vadeltachi said:   What is "FWF"?

Fat Wallet Forums?

Nope, this was a dump from Finance.

Wal*mart has been "test" reducing prices in the midwest and southeast to beat out Aldi and to see where their new price points should be on items like milk, eggs, bread, etc. They're also aware that Lidl (a German hard discounter of groceries who, unlike Aldi, also features many more brand names) is set to open stores here in the US by 2018. All of this is good news for the consumer.

MRCheap is correct about the prices vs sizes. But the best you can do now is stock up on .88 chicken of sea solid and starkist. I remember the 7 oz cans. Also Friendly and breyers ice cream and Acme brand (signature) are about 1.99 on sale. I remember the 64 oz carton too. And the quality of this stuff is pretty low. yes the facial tissue is Scott for .79 wyb 10 at Acme. last week SRite had Kleenex with coupons and catalina it came out the same, but a few years ago these boxes were 200 ct, now 120-160ct. Also Hellman's mayo is now 30 oz when for the longest time they were 32oz. Since we use these products just go for the best deal, those days will never be back. But the milk gallons in CT/NY must be unregulated because WalMart is selling them for 1.19 a gallon as of Sunday, with Aldi 2 miles away. But I do remember when I graduated from UConn way back gas was 19.9 cents/gallon for my 66 GTO,(bought with 21k miles in 1972) and that was premium, regular was 16.9!!! And I still have that car bought with my dad's help for 3450.00 including auto and a/c!!ttps://www.hemmings.com/blog/2015/05/27/1966-pontiac-gto-takes-best-in-...

BTW, that pic is NOT me but the car is exactly the same color inside and out. Mine has 500 coats of wax and sealer. Sorry for getting off topic.

Aldis near me has been selling milk for under $1.00 a gallon for well over a year. Average price is .65 to .79. Even when the Aldis ad shows $1.49. Eggs 55 cents a dozen.

ratdog49640 said:   Aldis near me has been selling milk for under $1.00 a gallon for well over a year. Average price is .65 to .79. Even when the Aldis ad shows $1.49. Eggs 55 cents a dozen.

where are you located? 65c for a gallon of milk?

northern michigan.  The local Meijers sells milk for  88c a gallon at times.

BTW, even tho we have determined the lower prices are due to the downsizing of the products, these downsized products were never this low priced before. The 7oz tuna cans went to 5 oz about 6 years ago and the prices was higher then. Same for ice cream from 64 oz to 56 oz to 48 oz. just enjoy it while you can. Chicken of the Sea canned salmon (5 oz) was NEVER .88 as S&S had last week, along with BBee salmon at 1.00. I bought many many.

barrytuneup said:   as all of us at FWF know by now, there have been many items we buy regularly that have dropped, and some by 40-50 %. I speak of: solid white canned tuna for .88-99/ (name brands) canned salmon Chicken of the sea .88/ milk gallons now 1.18, that's correct in WalMart in New Milford CT and RA is 2.63/ some gas stations now 1.99/ and S&S in my area at 2.79. Eggs now range from .89-1.49 dozen for large/extra large/Kleenex or Scott tissues in 160 or 120 ct Boxed .99 on this week .79 if you buy 10 at Acme. Other items too like most dairy items and ice cream. read something about not shipping to China anymore and Canadian dairies flooding New England and NY State. Thoughts?
I went to ShopRite yesterday. The price of Friendship Cottage Cheese 16oz is usually $2.99, on sale sometimes for $1.99. Now it's $3.49! I think your theory is full of cheese! LOL

Tomorrow's sale starts at Stop&Shop. Breyers Ice Cream is $4.29 for 48oz, I think this is the highest ever! 

I am talking of SALE prices, not regular prices. No FWF member would buy at the prices you noted. Just checked S&S starting tomorrow, Starkist solid tuna is .88 again. And ending tonight Acme had extra large cantaloupes for .99 reg 3.99, but as i said we don't buy at regular prices. Family bought 4 this week and they were very good, not rotten. Also something about Acme, you can't buy their produce on the first few days of the sale...(like starting tomorrow .99 iceberg and microwave 1.00 potatoes) I wait till mid week (Tues/Wed) when they have fresh new stock. or you are getting older stuff. SRite seems to have new produce daily . S&S seems like Acme.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017