• filter:

USE OR LOSE THOSE PLENTI POINTS - I was told points expire two years after earned, not 12/31 of each year

• Page :
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
Voting History
rated:
Out of the blue I called Plenti customer service to ask when my Plenti points expire. I was told that they expire two years after they are earned. I then told him what about the website. It says in the FAQ that:

Q: Do points expire?
A: On December 31 each year, any points that are at least two (2) years old will expire. That means members will have at least two (2) years to use Plenti points.

He said the website has not been updated yet and the change just happened last week. I asked to be transferred to a supervisor and he told me the same thing. He said the points are first in, first out, but that yes, they do expire two years to the day after they were earned and not on December 31 of each year like the website says. He said in the terms and conditions when I signed up for Plenti it said they can make changes to the program at anytime for any reason and they do not need to inform the cardholder. I said will the change be for new points moving forward and he said the change would be for all points. If I were you I would take a screenshot on the website where it says points expire December 31 of each year. American Express is a very reputable company. That is a pretty sneaky change if it is true, especially when on the website it is very hard to tell exactly how many points need to be spent by when because I earn and use points nearly weekly.

I have two accounts, each with about $500 in points, to use up quickly. Any ideas how to redeem a grand in Plenti points? I thought I had at least until December 31 to use them up but from what the rep and his supervisor said maybe they will expire soon.

Can some of you call in and ask the same question? Maybe I got a rep and supervisor who were just misinformed, but they swore to it they were correct and that a change happened just last week.

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
Paying with Plenti should not be an issue on rebates. It shows up as a payment. Not a store coupon like Extrabucks.

billrubin (May. 26, 2017 @ 1:51p) |

yes, but some rebate T&C's exclude paying when you use any kind of "rewards" to pay even if it shows as a payment. It's ... (more)

MISTERCHEAP (May. 26, 2017 @ 2:22p) |

Will I extend the pts if I buy something with points and return it? Yesterday, I did just that and my account has 2 entr... (more)

JimsEmptyWallet (Jun. 01, 2017 @ 9:49a) |

Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

rated:
MrVietnam said:   Out of the blue I called Plenti customer service to ask when my Plenti points expire. I was told that they expire two years after they are earned. I then told him what about the website. It says in the FAQ that:

Q: Do points expire?
A: On December 31 each year, any points that are at least two (2) years old will expire. That means members will have at least two (2) years to use Plenti points.

He said the website has not been updated yet and the change just happened last week. I asked to be transferred to a supervisor and he told me the same thing. He said the points are first in, first out, but that yes, they do expire two years to the day after they were earned and not on December 31 of each year like the website says. He said in the terms and conditions when I signed up for Plenti it said they can make changes to the program at anytime for any reason and they do not need to inform the cardholder. I said will the change be for new points moving forward and he said the change would be for all points. If I were you I would take a screenshot on the website where it says points expire December 31 of each year. American Express is a very reputable company. That is a pretty sneaky change if it is true, especially when on the website it is very hard to tell exactly how many points need to be spent by when because I earn and use points nearly weekly.

I have two accounts, each with about $500 in points, to use up quickly. Any ideas how to redeem a grand in Plenti points? I thought I had at least until December 31 to use them up but from what the rep and his supervisor said maybe they will expire soon.

Can some of you call in and ask the same question? Maybe I got a rep and supervisor who were just misinformed, but they swore to it they were correct and that a change happened just last week.

Do all your gasoline fill ups at Exxon/Mobil. If you have WinnDixie or Bi-Lo Supermarkets, redeem points for everyday groceries.

Do the 'coupon trick' at Rite Aid , use high value coupons on items and whatever their value (say redeeming $20 in Man Q's on one order), get a $20 gift card to some where on the same order. the $20 in points will apply to that since the $20 in Q's went towards items on the order.

rated:
Mr. V,

Do you know if there's somewhere to look on the Plenti site to know what/how many points are expiring say in the next 30 or 90 days?

It would help to know this info so we aren't in a panic redeeming points for the sake of it and 'overpaying'. I understand the rolling concept (rolling 24 month) but with frequent redemption and addition of $10 (1000) points here when you earn $10 in points back on the new items, it's very hard to get a good grasp on what the oldest points in our accounts truly are.

rated:
Thanks, MisterCheap foe the ideas. Unfortunately i do not have WinnDixie or Bi-Lo Supermarkets here in So Cal. That would have been the best option for me. I guess I need to start getting all gas fill ups at Exxon/Mobil although in my parts Exxon/Mobil charges about 30 cents a gallon more than where I usually buy gas at Sam's Clubor Costco. I guess I need to take my wife on a shopping spree at overpriced Macy's.

This change, if true, is very sneaky on the part of Plenti/Am Ex as many people were thinking they had until 12/31 to use them so were in no hurry to spend them down quickly. I bet they are going to get an earful from customers when they start seeing there point balances going expiring.

rated:
MISTERCHEAP said:   Mr. V,

Do you know if there's somewhere to look on the Plenti site to know what/how many points are expiring say in the next 30 or 90 days?

It would help to know this info so we aren't in a panic redeeming points for the sake of it and 'overpaying'. I understand the rolling concept (rolling 24 month) but with frequent redemption and addition of $10 (1000) points here when you earn $10 in points back on the new items, it's very hard to get a good grasp on what the oldest points in our accounts truly are.

I asked the supervisor the same thing and he said there isn't anywhere on the website to show how many points are expiring and when. I think they don't have that feature on purpose so customers will have their points expire. American Express is such a good company I wonder why they are playing games when it comes to Plenti.

rated:
1. Why haven't you been cashing out points?
2. I always thought it was first in first out. Never thought things expired Dec. 31.

rated:
my4mainecoons said:   1. Why haven't you been cashing out points?
2. I always thought it was first in first out. Never thought things expired Dec. 31.

I have been cashing out points at Rite Aid , but most of the deals I do earn points right back. Since I earn and spend points on a regular basis it is very difficult to even know how many points will expire when. If you never thought points expired Dec 31 that means you never read the FAQ on the website, right?

rated:
MrVietnam said:   

I have been cashing out points at Rite Aid , but most of the deals I do earn points right back.

You haven't been buying gc? I have $150 in Kohls, Shell gas $50 cards 2 wks ago, PETsMART, etc.

rated:
I had $250 ish in each of my accts earlier in the month. In the past few weeks have cashed out about $100 per acct buying gc and Nicorette.

rated:
MrVietnam said:   

I have been cashing out points at Rite Aid , but most of the deals I do earn points right back. If you never thought points expired Dec 31 that means you never read the FAQ on the website, right?

Mr. V, if you have been doing a TON of Rite Aid deals all along, where you're constantly redeeming and earning points (let's say on average $40-50 in redeemed/new earned points per month for the last two years), most of your points should have at least a year to go on them with the first in/first out concept. The points earned in May 2015 should have been long used by now, so I can't imagine you have any points that would expire in sooner than a 6-12 months window.

That said, it would be best for the PLENTI site to show expiration of current point values so you don't forfeit any, and by the same token, aren't running around redeeming points in May that won't expire til November 2017 for instance. Not to mention, the shortest expiry points would be the first used at any near future RA deals, that might earn the same amount of points back. Keeping you kicking the plenti points can further down the road.

rated:
MrVietnam said:   

I have been cashing out points at Rite Aid , but most of the deals I do earn points right back. Since I earn and spend points on a regular basis it is very difficult to even know how many points will expire when. If you never thought points expired Dec 31 that means you never read the FAQ on the website, right?

I never read the FAQ because I knew I was rolling points in and out so regularly that nothing would ever be 2 yrs old.

rated:
You shouldn't carry so many points. What if someone steals your card? It's happened. That's why I've been spending down.

You could buy furniture at Macy's. Need a new mattress?

rated:
my4mainecoons said:   You shouldn't carry so many points. What if someone steals your card? It's happened. That's why I've been spending down.

You could buy furniture at Macy's. Need a new mattress?

When Plenti first came out I foolishly earned and earned points but did not use points much. I always thought that they were good for so long so I would bank some Plenti points. In hindsight that was a big mistake. I should have used points all along.

I think I will spend most of my points at Macy'sand get my wife some clothes and cosmetics there. Her birthday is coming up in a couple months so that would be a good reason. Does anyone know what exactly can you use Plenti points for at an AT&T store? I think I will find out.

I guess another option would be to find items ar Rite Aid that are reasonably priced and just stock up on stuff and store it in boxes in the garage.

Well at least I can take solace in I didn't earn my first points two years ago until June 30, 2015, so I have nearly six weeks to use them up. Because there is no easy way to find out how many points expire when it is probably better just to spend them all.

rated:
MISTERCHEAP said:   Mr. V, if you have been doing a TON of Rite Aid deals all along, where you're constantly redeeming and earning points (let's say on average $40-50 in redeemed/new earned points per month for the last two years), most of your points should have at least a year to go on them with the first in/first out concept. The points earned in May 2015 should have been long used by now, so I can't imagine you have any points that would expire in sooner than a 6-12 months window.

Exactly right. Except I would put the mark at over 18 months.

rated:
I have tried three times to redeem my plenti points at Mobil pumps, and have had no luck. I have never seen a more cumbersome, confusing, unfriendly redemption process. I've just given up every time. Maybe I'm just stupid. Is there a way to redeem my points that doesn't make me want to pull out what's left of my hair?

Chris.

rated:
Its a drop in the bucket but eggs are 99 at RA starting tomorrow.
If you got Flonase Sensimist and Xyzal today you converted more than $15 worth of PP into S* at a profit.
If you got Ziploc bags this week you paid $1 for 4 boxes and converted PP into $5 eGC.

I've never used PP to pay for gas but when I swipe my card the pump asks me if I want to pay for up to $25 worth with points. Where's the problem?
I know you have to swipe your CC in case you pump more than $25 worth but if you don't the PP should cover it.

rated:
cpaynter said:   I have tried three times to redeem my plenti points at Mobil pumps, and have had no luck. I have never seen a more cumbersome, confusing, unfriendly redemption process. I've just given up every time. Maybe I'm just stupid. Is there a way to redeem my points that doesn't make me want to pull out what's left of my hair?

Chris.

I agree, it is unnecessarily difficult. Even worse, if you only want to pay with Plenti points, they still make you swipe a credit card, at which point you lose the cash discount. When I went inside to try to get help, the employees were clueless. Like you, I ended up not using the points on multiple tries.

The best solution I have found is to get a Speedpass and link the Plenti card to it. That way, you get the cash price automatically even when using a credit card, and none of the nonsense of having to do the Plenti card separately. I've only had a problem at one station where their Plenti link was apparently not working.

I just got email from Exxon saying that if I use the Speedpass app 3 times for 10 gallons of gas by 8/31/17, I'll get 2000 bonus Plenti points.

rated:
I have drastically changed my reward point accommodation habit over the years. I have realized it's never safe to have any good amount of point sitting around, doesn't matter it's hotel, FFB, store rewards, and even gift cards. It takes one mistake to make much efforts go into negative payback.

rated:
I agree about not holding on to rewards. I've been cashing out PP often to S*. Had been letting S* accumulate but now cashing out at just a few hundred.

rated:
It might be worth checking out some of the free after rebate offers. I realize that paying with points and/or coupons can invalidate the rebate, depending on the T&Cs, but if it does work at least you'll be able to cash out some points.

rated:
CKritiv1 said:   It might be worth checking out some of the free after rebate offers. I realize that paying with points and/or coupons can invalidate the rebate, depending on the T&Cs, but if it does work at least you'll be able to cash out some points.
Paying with Plenti should not be an issue on rebates. It shows up as a payment. Not a store coupon like Extrabucks.

rated:
billrubin said:   
CKritiv1 said:   It might be worth checking out some of the free after rebate offers. I realize that paying with points and/or coupons can invalidate the rebate, depending on the T&Cs, but if it does work at least you'll be able to cash out some points.

yes, but some rebate T&C's exclude paying when you use any kind of "rewards" to pay even if it shows as a payment. It's a royal pain sometimes to know which pay out and which don't.

rated:
Will I extend the pts if I buy something with points and return it? Yesterday, I did just that and my account has 2 entries. One deduct and one add.

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017