linky Hopefully this hasn't already been posted, but I contacted my T-Mobile rep yesterday to find out how much it would be to add my daughter to our Family Value 1000 plan. For those of you unfamiliar with the plan, it allows you to hop onto T-Mobile post-paid service by bringing your own device and thus paying less than if you purchase a plan that subsidizes your phone purchase.
The rep told me that I can switch to the recent promotion for the "Value Family 1000 Promo" plan and get up to 2 additional phones on my plan (for a total of 4) and the $5 monthly fee for the phones would be waived until 2014. Since I already have the family texting plan, texting is included for all the additional phones on my plan. Data is extra for any phones you add, but you do NOT have to add data for a phone if you don't want to. My children use wifi so I didn't need to add data. In addition, my phone and my wife's phone have internet sharing so my children can piggyback off our connection when we are in the car.
Now, the most important thing for my FW friends is price. Since I have a corporate discount, we get free SIM cards and free activations from T-Mobile along with a 15% discount. After all is said and done, I have:
4 phones with unlimited texting sharing 1000 minutes of peak air 2 phones have unlimited data. One of the phones has a 5GB 4G data plan and the other has a 2GB plan. T-Mobile throttles the data down to 3G speeds after your allotment has been exhausted.
The best part, I pay a total of $90 after taxes and discounts applied. The downsides?
* Two-year agreement is required. *I did have to pay for my phones, but we found them off eBay and craigslist and got HTC Radar 4Gs and Nokia Lumina 710s for less than $200 each. There are TONS of options out there and some great bargains on new and used phones.
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.
posted: Aug. 16, 2012 @ 4:54p
I considered the "Value Plans" as well, but I was told by numerous reps that any discounts (corp., AAA, etc.) would not be included. You may want to keep an eye out on your bill when it comes around. Overall, the Value Plans are great, unless you like the newest and greatest phones.
I've already gotten three bills under the value plan and the discounts have indeed been applied. The total amount was about $10 more than the quote I received from T-Mobile because of taxes, but overall I am extremely happy with the service and the price is about the same as under my Sprint legacy plan. However to upgrade my devices to newer phones Sprint wanted to start charging me over $120 even after my corporate discount of 25% was applied.
Not sure if your company discount is the same as mine, but we actually had to get the SIM cards through the T-Mobile business unit.
posted: Aug. 16, 2012 @ 8:15p
I am also on the value plan, I have less data than ViveLeRoi but otherwise the same and with my discount my bill is close to $100. I have done pretty well getting the prepaid phones from T-Mobile they have the Galaxy for $220 and at times it comes with a $50 credit you can sell, so no reason to buy a used android phone.
posted: Aug. 16, 2012 @ 8:44p
I have the value plan and get my corporate discount on the first 2 lines
posted: Aug. 22, 2012 @ 1:31p
Confirmed on the Corporate discount. I just updated my Value plan. The Add a line offer is for up to 3 lines. So 2 base +3 total of 5 lines for the same rate. My Total for 5 lines of Shared 1000 voice + unlimited text + 2 lines with 2GB each data after 15% Corp disc + NY Tax is supposed to be $84. After 1/12/2014, I get charged an additional $5 per 3 addon lines.
Here is the fine print on the 1000min Talk + Text Share.
* Offer expires 11/13/12; subject to change. Taxes, fees, and charges for other services additional, including Regulatory Programs Fee of $1.61 per line/mo. Not all plans or features available on all devices. At participating locations. $0 Add-A-Line Offer: $0 monthly recurring charges until 1/2/2014 for voice and messaging services on lines added to qualifying Value family plan. As of 1/2/2014, regular monthly service pricing will apply to all added lines. New activation of an additional line to a qualifying Value family plan required; maximum three added lines. New two-year agreement on all or some lines of family plan may be required. General Terms: Domestic only. Credit approval, $35/line activation fee, and two-year contract on qualifying plan (with up to $200/line early cancellation fee) required; deposit may apply. Family Plans: Limit five lines on family plan. All lines must be activated in same T-Mobile market with same billing address and area code. T-Mobile to T-Mobile: Calls directly dialed between T-Mobile customer devices while on the T-Mobile USA network (not roaming); calls to voicemail and other T-Mobile service numbers not included. Abnormal Usage: Service may be slowed, suspended, terminated, or restricted for misuse, abnormal use, interference with our network or ability to provide quality service to others, or significant roaming. America's Largest 4G Network is a registered trademark of T-Mobile USA, Inc. T-Mobile and the magenta color are registered trademarks of Deutsche Telekom AG.
Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.
Members of our community may attach files to a post in accordance with the User Agreement. FatWallet is not responsible for the content, accuracy, completeness or validity of any information contained in any attached file. Files have *not* been scanned for viruses. Be especially wary of Excel files which may contain malicious content.
Earn Cash Back while you shop - just 3 simple steps.
1. Sign Up so we know who to pay! (It's FREE.)
2. Shop through FatWallet for deals from your favorite stores. Your online purchases earn Cash Back that builds in your FatWallet account.
3. Get Paid by requesting a payment via check or PayPal.
FatWallet coupons help you save more when shopping online. Use our Coupons Search to browse coupons and offers from thousands of stores, gathered into one convenient location.
As part of our FatWallet Community, you can share deals with almost a million shoppers in our forums. Forum content is generated by consumers for consumers. Share deals, money-saving tips, and more. It's FREE, fun, and addicting.
Our customer experience team is here around the clock - real people ready to assist.