posted 48 years ago by
canban

Just used this for a search and the link works.  $4.99 for one report, $14.99 for 5, and 24.99 for 10.

http://www.vinaudit.com/coupon=DLS_50OFF 

Views
17 Comments
Add Comment
Is this reputable?

its waste of money. Ordered one and does not show any service records..I think it only shows major accidents

anyone has a source for discounted Carfax?

king0fSpades said:   Is this reputable?
  I don't know about this place, but once in a while some of our members post free links to get a CARFAX report, just have to be in the look out for it.

No.

mmarreco said:   anyone has a source for discounted Carfax?
  I was able to get a small discount through AAA in NY.  I had to log into my AAA account then follow the links the AAA website.

I hope this helps.

Somewhat related, if you would like some info on a car but don't want to pay for a report, Mycarfax.com is free, and often will show service records. Not as comprehensive as a full report, but sometimes it's all the info you need.

ebestbuy said:   its waste of money. Ordered one and does not show any service records..I think it only shows major accidents

You believe Carfax captures all the maintenance or service records of a car? If you went to service your car at a local gas station, mom and pop auto repair, DIY mechanic, PepBoys, EZ Lube, etc., do you really think their work magically appears on a car's VIN service history? The only service records that will appear are from dealerships or service providers that bother to enter that information or if you update it yourself.

Back to Vinaudit.com, I actually ordered a report from them this weekend (paid the full $10 for a report) to check the mileage for a used replacement engine I was purchasing. Vinaudit's primary data source is the National Motor Vehicle Title Information System (NMVTIS ) which is a government site "to protect consumers from fraud and unsafe vehicles and to keep stolen vehicles from being resold". Insurance claims, flood damage, major accidents, etc. like you said. It included all those registration events which is all I was interested in.

If you want all possible online information because you're buying a used car, definitely order the more expensive Carfax report instead of Vinaudit. But it's always better to ask the seller about the maintenance history and/or ask for hard copy receipts in addition to a VIN lookup!

Bawnz said:   
ebestbuy said:   its waste of money. Ordered one and does not show any service records..I think it only shows major accidents

You believe Carfax captures all the maintenance or service records of a car? If you went to service your car at a local gas station, mom and pop auto repair, DIY mechanic, PepBoys, EZ Lube, etc., do you really think their work magically appears on a car's VIN service history? The only service records that will appear are from dealerships or service providers that bother to enter that information or if you update it yourself.

Back to Vinaudit.com, I actually ordered a report from them this weekend (paid the full $10 for a report) to check the mileage for a used replacement engine I was purchasing. Vinaudit's primary data source is the National Motor Vehicle Title Information System (NMVTIS ) which is a government site "to protect consumers from fraud and unsafe vehicles and to keep stolen vehicles from being resold". Insurance claims, flood damage, major accidents, etc. like you said. It included all those registration events which is all I was interested in.

If you want all possible online information because you're buying a used car, definitely order the more expensive Carfax report instead of Vinaudit. But it's always better to ask the seller about the maintenance history and/or ask for hard copy receipts in addition to a VIN lookup!

The car was always serviced at the dealer and none showed in the report. But I know carfax will show everything serviced at dealer. Don't take it wrong, but the information on mileage could be wrong if the owner reported it wrong to NMVTIS. I believe only dealers and few others can report the exact mileage when servicing for any reason. when buying a car worth more than $3000 spending $40 at carfax adds value to get full details than getting something from NMVTIS.

also read stories from different people posted here on Edmunds about carfax alternatives..
http://www.edmunds.com/car-buying/which-vehicle-history-report-i...

ebestbuy said:   
Bawnz said:   

The car was always serviced at the dealer and none showed in the report. But I know carfax will show everything serviced at dealer. Don't take it wrong, but the information on mileage could be wrong if the owner reported it wrong to NMVTIS. I believe only dealers and few others can report the exact mileage when servicing for any reason. when buying a car worth more than $3000 spending $40 at carfax adds value to get full details than getting something from NMVTIS.

I'm not disagreeing with you, Carfax will show more information. My point was that Vinaudit isn't a Carfax type report and it doesn't claim to include service records. For my purpose, the used engine came out of a wrecked car, I wanted to verify the shop selling it wasn't understating the actual mileage vs what's on record. 40k miles if it actually had 140k miles. Seeing the incremental title and mileage history showed me what I wanted. They were still understating it by 20k miles but better than 100k! It all comes down to the purpose of why you're doing the VIN lookup in the first place. Again this was just for an engine, not the whole car, if it was a whole car, it would be a different story.

thanks neeeded it for a used cadr

Not sure what this guy does but I Googled "cheap carfax report" and came up with this site: http://www.danqiudanqiu.com/cfx/

DON'T GO THERE YET BEFORE READING THIS!

Anyway, since I consider myself "well protected" I figured for $3 PayPal I would give it a shot. Sure enough I got (what I think is) a full Carfax report for $3. It covered everything. Maybe it was a scam (I changed my PayPal password immediately after because I felt kinda "dirty") but all seems to be fine. On his site you simply put in your license plate # and state and it shows you what your vehicle is then $2.99 by PayPal then your Carfax pops up.  It even listed my oil change from last week at a local VALVOLINE shop (not dealer) so the report seems legit.

You are on your own to try this but it looked OK to me.  Just don't open the email you get after the purchase.  Not sure what the attached link is.

This is just a re-branded NMVTIS (National Motor Vehicle Title Information System) report. There are quite a few providers listed here:
http://www.vehiclehistory.gov/nmvtis_vehiclehistory.html

They all have varying prices, but they all seem to fall near $4.95.

Disclosure: I work for one of the companies who provides these reports (not vinaudit, whose link is at the top).

respdoc said:   
  No.

I used for a 1999 pickup truck that I bought to do some project.  Had all multistate mileage and had a report on incidents related to the truck.  For 4.99, it served its purpose.

Its not like carfax and experian have magical elves gathering data on every car...

Will these NMVTIS reports (Carfax alternatives) showed insurance claims/reported accidents?

That's all I really care about, as the service records on Carfax are either incomplete (not all shops report service electronically) or the owners of the vehicles have retained the service records in paper form.

omarECD said:   Will these NMVTIS reports (Carfax alternatives) showed insurance claims/reported accidents?

These reports only show which states historically they have been titled in, major brand data like fire, flood, salvage, rebuilt, etc and other details about the vehicle.  The report does not show fender benders or repairs.  Carfax and Autocheck buy that data from the insurance companies who decide to sell it to them (not all of them sell their data, which is still part of the reason a carfax/autocheck report could be incomplete).  

So these reports are a good spot check to make sure you don't get a majorly damaged car and in my (biased) opinion, worth every bit of $5 or less.

Interesting fact:  In the state of California, if you are buying a used car from a dealer, they have to run one of these reports and show it to you.  

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017