• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Just saw these utilitech bulbs on sale, 2 for $2.98. Was on special @ $3.98. Although the life on these is not as good, the price is right. Might be YMMV.

Upc 822985 511759

Member Summary
Staff Summary
  • Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

I saw this today also. They are the equivalent 60W bulbs. The sign in the store says from 1/14 to 1/17.

The reviews aren't great, and the lumens are a little low, but for a buck and a half, it ain't bad. 

Linkeroo 

Black Friday price was $1.00.

I bought 4 of these over Christmas. The bulbs are a nice glow, even closer to a regular bulb than the Cree ones. They have an estimated 5000 hour life span (3.5 years @ 3hrs/day) which is very low..... BUT.... the CREE LED bulbs I bought have a 20,000 hour lifespan and some died after 13 months of 3hr per day use! So.... I no longer believe bulb life thanks to CREE and GE CFL bulbs between the last 2 houses I live in. I swore not to buy utilitech CFLs again since they suck, but their LEDs are good. I use a sharpie to write the date on the bulb when I install them just so I can see how long bulbs are working for.

Bottom line...... Buy cheap good looking LED bulbs, and forget about lifespan.

At $1.50 per bulb it will quickly pay for itself even in 1 year. And buy the time you are ready to replace it the next bulbs will be better and cheaper.

ranger203 said:   
Bottom line...... Buy cheap good looking LED bulbs, and forget about lifespan.

At $1.50 per bulb it will quickly pay for itself even in 1 year. And buy the time you are ready to replace it the next bulbs will be better and cheaper.

Well said!  Sometimes people get to excited about properties like lifespan, when the ultimate measure is really $/period unless you are on a remote island or a spaceship and have to bring your own spares.

tracfancier said:   Black Friday price was $1.00.

The BF bulbs were different (I have some).  They have a 2,000 bulb life.  These are 5,000 hours.  Both are ridiculously low by LED bulb standards.  Neither are dimmable (if that matters to you).  The 60W bulbs on sale at Ace Hardware for $2.99 are both dimmable and have a 25,000 hour life.  

ranger203 said:   the CREE LED bulbs I bought have a 20,000 hour lifespan and some died after 13 months of 3hr per day use! So.... I no longer believe bulb life thanks to CREE and GE CFL bulbs between the last 2 houses I live in. 

Good point.  Stated LED bulb lifetime is the time at which the LED elements would still give off 70% of their original light output, not when the bulb dies.  Highly likely that the electronics would fail well before that on a 25,000 hour bulb.

Thanks OP! Just grabbed a bunch.

Assuming that you are replacing a ~800lumin bulb drawing 15w of power you will be saving 6w/h per hour used.
My area charges about $0.10 per KWH.
Assuming that you have the light in use for 5 hours per day, you will save $.003 per day.
The break even (not including tax) is about 1.36 years of use at 5h per day. (or 2483 hours of use on a bulb approved for 5000 hours)

The moral of this story, buy some and use them when your cfl bulb burns out. You are better off skipping a beverage at a meal if you are looking for a way to make real savings.
Now if you are using old school 60w incandescent bulbs, totally pick some up. They will pay for themselves in about 8.5 weeks @ 5h/day.

Thanks OP. Two of my CFLs burned out this weekend! Bought for store pick up since I can't make it out tonight.

This is back but today was listed as the last day at my store.

Shop Utilitech 9-Watt 60W Equivalent 3000K A19 Medium Base E-26 Warm White Indoor LED Bulb at Lowes.com
Disclaimer
tracfancier said:   Black Friday price was $1.00.
  Still available:
http://www.lowes.com/pd_747481-43921-YGA03A41-A19-9W-830_1z10ht3...
same 2000 hour rating versus these being 5k.

Menards still has the Zilotek Daylight bulbs for about $3 a pair after this week's 11%. I bought a couple at $2.99 on sale so they seem to hover right around $3/pair.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2016