www.americanexpress.com 

NOTE: Joann's SELLS Amazon & eBay GC's in STORE! use credit to get discounted GCs

32 Comments
Add Comment
rated:
I am assuming they allow you to pay with a credit card when buying a gift card.

rated:
Thanks! 6/6 on Amex cards. I'll try it this week.

rated:
The only AMEX card I didn't have this on was the Costco one (which they're disabling in a couple of weeks)

rated:
jpessin3 said:   I am assuming they allow you to pay with a credit card when buying a gift card.

From all accounts on SD, yes. It's a Front Page deal there.

rated:
SUB said:   The only AMEX card I didn't have this on was the Costco one (which they're disabling in a couple of weeks)
  Use Twitter to load the offer.

#AmexJoAnnStores

rated:
MISTERCHEAP said:   www.americanexpress.com 

NOTE: Joann 's SELLS Amazon & eBay GC's in STORE! use credit to get discounted GCs

Can we buy Amazon.com GC'S from Jo-Ann's online?

rated:
MISTERCHEAP said:   
jpessin3 said:   I am assuming they allow you to pay with a credit card when buying a gift card.

At the Joann I visited, there was a pre-printed sticker at the top of the GC rack clearly stating that the only form of payment they accept for GC's is Cash or Debit/Credit card. I guess that excludes paying w/ a Joann Store GC (which seems to be a common policy at many stores).

Anyway, picked up a $50 fleabay card. The only issue I ran into was that the cashier insisted that a mgr had to approve the purchase (specifically for an eBay GC -- not sure if it would have been necessary for AMZ), so had to wait an extra few mins for a mgr to come over. Mgr inquired how I was paying. Upon stating CC, was asked to present a photo ID along w/ the CC itself so that mgr could verify that the names matched. Rather intrusive for such a small dollar amount, but whatever.

rated:
Newbie here. Are Az and eBay cards free of activation fees?

rated:
brusbrother said:   Newbie here. Are Az and eBay cards free of activation fees?
Yes, only psuedo-cash cards (Visa/MC/AMEX) have activation fees.

rated:
Awesome. This deal is available for my BlueBird card too!

rated:
At the Joann I went to today, the only gift cards they had were Joann ones.

rated:
The other gift cards are at an end cap, not by the register.

rated:
madcowdisease said:   
SUB said:   The only AMEX card I didn't have this on was the Costco one (which they're disabling in a couple of weeks)
  Use Twitter to load the offer.

#AmexJoAnnStores

The Costco Amex card is so dead that even twittering won't work for this deal. 

rated:
TheDiggler said:   
MISTERCHEAP said:   

At the Joann I visited, there was a pre-printed sticker at the top of the GC rack clearly stating that the only form of payment they accept for GC's is Cash or Debit/Credit card. I guess that excludes paying w/ a Joann Store GC (which seems to be a common policy at many stores).

Anyway, picked up a $50 fleabay card. The only issue I ran into was that the cashier insisted that a mgr had to approve the purchase (specifically for an eBay GC -- not sure if it would have been necessary for AMZ), so had to wait an extra few mins for a mgr to come over. Mgr inquired how I was paying. Upon stating CC, was asked to present a photo ID along w/ the CC itself so that mgr could verify that the names matched. Rather intrusive for such a small dollar amount, but whatever.

Same kind of issue here; went to the register to purchase a $50 AMZN gift card today and was told that the store no longer accepts credit card payment on any gift card purchases (cash or debit only) because "there is too much credit card fraud these days..."  

I explained to the manager that the AMEX credit card I was going to use is IN MY NAME and I have a valid DL to prove that I didn't steal someone else's credit card and yet she still looked at me like I was trying to commit the crime of the century over $50!?  Geez!!  

rated:
I was told over the phone by my local Joann's that they absolutely won't accept credit cards for gift certificates.

rated:
DOChicago said:   Same kind of issue here; went to the register to purchase a $50 AMZN gift card today and was told that the store no longer accepts credit card payment on any gift card purchases (cash or debit only) because "there is too much credit card fraud these days..."
Have since run into the same issue at the store I previously successfully purchased a GC at via AMEX. The main store mgr is refusing to accept CC payments for GC's (cash or debit only). Suggest everyone running into this issue contact Joann at this link , stating that their local Joann's store is violating AMEX merchant policies by refusing to accept AMEX CC payments for the purchase of certain goods/services (i.e. GC's).  Probably doesn't hurt to mention that AMEX has a targeted promotion @ Joann, effectively blocking you from that promotion, in which case if this is how Joann's chooses to market promotions and treat its customers, you'll take your business elsewhere.

rated:
TheDiggler said:   
DOChicago said:   Same kind of issue here; went to the register to purchase a $50 AMZN gift card today and was told that the store no longer accepts credit card payment on any gift card purchases (cash or debit only) because "there is too much credit card fraud these days..."
Have since run into the same issue at the store I previously successfully purchased a GC at via AMEX. The main store mgr is refusing to accept CC payments for GC's (cash or debit only). Suggest everyone running into this issue contact Joann at this link , stating that their local Joann 's store is violating AMEX merchant policies by refusing to accept AMEX CC payments for the purchase of certain goods/services (i.e. GC's).  Probably doesn't hurt to mention that AMEX has a targeted promotion @ Joann, effectively blocking you from that promotion, in which case if this is how Joann 's chooses to market promotions and treat its customers, you'll take your business elsewhere.

Thanks! Great idea and definitely worth passing this info onto Joann's management (who might or might not even be aware of the stores' practices)!  Just submitted through your link; definitely curious to see their response....

rated:
I had no problem paying with my American Express card at the Jo-Ann's in Irvine, CA. I went to one cashier and when she saw I was buying a gift card, she handed me off to another cashier for some reason (perhaps someone in management). The new cashier saw I had my Am Ex card out and said, "I see you are taking advantage of the American Express deal." I said I was and then she processed my transaction. The deal runs through 7/31/16, so when I am in the area again I will do the deal on my remaining Am Ex cards.

rated:
Can someone explain to me why someone would buy 12 Amazon $50 cards at Joanns and have them all rang up separately with the SAME Amex card??

Not really understanding this promo .

rated:
blackcam said:   Can someone explain to me why someone would buy 12 Amazon $50 cards at Joanns and have them all rang up separately with the SAME Amex card??
They wouldn't have them rung up to the SAME Amex card. In your example, they'd need to have 12 separate Amex cards, each having the Joann offer added to it. Then they'd buy one AZ card per Amex card having the offer.

rated:
MrVietnam said:   I had no problem paying with my American Express card at the Jo-Ann's in Irvine, CA. I went to one cashier and when she saw I was buying a gift card, she handed me off to another cashier for some reason (perhaps someone in management). The new cashier saw I had my Am Ex card out and said, "I see you are taking advantage of the American Express deal." I said I was and then she processed my transaction. The deal runs through 7/31/16, so when I am in the area again I will do the deal on my remaining Am Ex cards.
  I asked one an employee where the gift cards are located and she told me they are in the back of the store. She als told me a manager will need to ring it/them up for me. Did not see any Amz cards, only iTues, Joanna, & restaurants card. Will wait a week or two before going back.

rated:
brusbrother said:   Newbie here. Are Az and eBay cards free of activation fees?
Yes, they are free of activation fees.

rated:
TheDiggler said:   
blackcam said:   Can someone explain to me why someone would buy 12 Amazon $50 cards at Joanns and have them all rang up separately with the SAME Amex card??
They wouldn't have them rung up to the SAME Amex card. In your example, they'd need to have 12 separate Amex cards, each having the Joann offer added to it. Then they'd buy one AZ card per Amex card having the offer.

Why would you even attempt to explain something to someone with 1 / ONE / a single Post???

Talk about teaching terrorists how to launder money.... sheesh!

gonna stop berating you now, and let the other jump on..

PS feel free to push the "notify mod" button... I already have.

rated:
DOChicago said:   
TheDiggler said:   
MISTERCHEAP said:   

At the Joann I visited, there was a pre-printed sticker at the top of the GC rack clearly stating that the only form of payment they accept for GC's is Cash or Debit/Credit card. I guess that excludes paying w/ a Joann Store GC (which seems to be a common policy at many stores).

Anyway, picked up a $50 fleabay card. The only issue I ran into was that the cashier insisted that a mgr had to approve the purchase (specifically for an eBay GC -- not sure if it would have been necessary for AMZ), so had to wait an extra few mins for a mgr to come over. Mgr inquired how I was paying. Upon stating CC, was asked to present a photo ID along w/ the CC itself so that mgr could verify that the names matched. Rather intrusive for such a small dollar amount, but whatever.

Same kind of issue here; went to the register to purchase a $50 AMZN gift card today and was told that the store no longer accepts credit card payment on any gift card purchases (cash or debit only) because "there is too much credit card fraud these days..."  

I explained to the manager that the AMEX credit card I was going to use is IN MY NAME and I have a valid DL to prove that I didn't steal someone else's credit card and yet she still looked at me like I was trying to commit the crime of the century over $50!?  Geez!!  

This is the "reason" they gave in a corporate memo not to sell the gift cards with CC. After beimg treated like a thief at the first Joann's I went to a second one where the clerk did not blink at ringing me up three separate times. 

rated:
Big sign on top of the Gift Card display, "Cash Only for Retailer Gift Cards" so I didn't try.

rated:
I purchased Joann's gift cards today, but the store manager said she wouldn't have allowed me I buy 3rd party gift cards.

rated:
madcowdisease said:     This is the "reason" they gave in a corporate memo not to sell the gift cards with CC. After beimg treated like a thief at the first Joann 's I went to a second one where the clerk did not blink at ringing me up three separate times. 
Below is the email I received from corporate after contacting them about my experience; clearly these B&Ms are each making up their own policies at the store level...

"Thank you for this information. I have spoken with a Manager on Duty and advised her that any purchase under $100.00 in gift cards we are able to accept credit cards. Her name is Nancy and you can go in and ask for her and if she is not available any Manager on Duty. I am so sorry for the inconvenience." 

rated:
DOChicago said:   Below is the email I received from corporate after contacting them about my experience; clearly these B&Ms are each making up their own policies at the store level...

"Thank you for this information. I have spoken with a Manager on Duty and advised her that any purchase under $100.00 in gift cards we are able to accept credit cards. Her name is Nancy and you can go in and ask for her and if she is not available any Manager on Duty. I am so sorry for the inconvenience." 

I received a call from an Area Manager (Regional Manager?) of Joann's who informed me that moving forward, up to $100 in GC's could be purchased by CC (which is slightly better than under $100).  Although I requested it during the phone call, I did not subsequently receive written confirmation of that latest "policy."  Guess I'll find out if it's true if/when I attempt to purchase some more GC's.

rated:
Same here - they rang $50 OK but as soon as I tried to get second one - was asked for ID, and third one- no go.
so had to go there couple more times to see different cashiers.

rated:
Awesome work THANK YOU

rated:
Funny behavior from my local store in Cumming, GA. The cashier saw me and dear spouse the 2nd time and immediately started calling her mgr. We heard words "gift card" while she looked in our direction. Then when we approached the register, she pretended like the system is down and told us to come the next morning and see the manager. Clearly fake, playing games and experiencing extreme paranoia. Stupid arse store. The policy has them losing out on GG profit and is clearly set by their HQ.

rated:
My experience at Joann 's yesterday was very similarly bizarre - I wanted to buy the AMZ GC and the cashier had to call the store manager to ring it up.  The store manager at first insisted that only cash can be used and explained there has been a lot of fraud going on... She said some people would claim they bought a $500 GC when they only in reality bought a $50 GC (I've no idea what that has to do with cash vs CC payment). Anyway, after letting her vent her BS, she finally said she can try using a CC for the payment but the system may not let it go thru. Well, of course, it worked. So I'm golden.

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2016