posted 48 years ago by
ragingwookiee
Senior Member - 7K

Posted with ToGo

LG G4 H811 32GB 4G LTE T-Mobile GSM Unlocked Android Smartphone
$209.99
http://www.ebay.com/itm/LG-G4-H811-32GB-4G-LTE-T-Mobile-GSM-Unlocked-Android-Smartphone-/252408072534

Views
13 Comments
Add Comment
Device Is Unlocked For All GSM Carriers (T-Mobile, AT&T, Ultra Mobile, Simple Mobile, Cricket,Etc.)! Will NOT Work With Any CDMA Carriers (Verizon, Sprint, Boost Mobile, Page Plus, Etc.)

Wonderful phone. Only concern is boot loop issue. Some may be more informed than me, but I avoided buying a G4 because of fear that it would happen, and LG wouldn't fix it. But what do I know?! Someone more knowledgeable please shed light. Otherwise I do love the G4, it's great QHD lcd panel and removable accessories!

We have 2 of them, purchased a little over a year ago. Mine went bootloop in January, I sent it off to LG without issue and it was fixed and returned within 10 days total. The other did it a little over a week ago, 2-3 weeks past warranty, I went to their online portal and submitted a claim and got the shipment authorization. It was fixed in the same turnaround, just awaiting it from Fedex now, no charges.

is this hardware issue or software issue?

Afaik, definitely hardware. Good luck.

sounds like a disaster waiting to happen. not worth it for any price.

I have the Verizon version of the G4 (VS986) and am currently using it on Cricket. (It's not the best combination...for example I don't get LTE on cricket).
It's a little hard to hold, but the screen is great and overall it's a good device. Unfortunately there is no root for the Marshmallow release.
It's nice that it has a removable battery, an IR blaster to use as a remote, good camera, and expandable microSD storage. It feels like it might last at least two years before I feel the need to upgrade thanks to the option of swapping a battery.

For $200, I'd seriously consider buying this phone if I broke mine today.

BTW, I haven't had any boot loop issues, and this is the first time I've heard of it.

DO NOT buy this phone. It was confirmed by LG that ALL G4's have the hardware bootloop issue. Mine just died 2 weeks ago. You will be out of luck if you buy one with no warranty.

Bootloop is widely known.  (Remember, Google is your friend.)  My new LG phone died from the bootloop just 1 year after the warranty expired.  LG wanted $100 to fix it or $200 to do a complete refub.  Yeah right!  Stay away!  You've been warned.

pizzatriangle said:   Wonderful phone. Only concern is boot loop issue. Some may be more informed than me, but I avoided buying a G4 because of fear that it would happen, and LG wouldn't fix it. But what do I know?! Someone more knowledgeable please shed light. Otherwise I do love the G4, it's great QHD lcd panel and removable accessories!
  It happened to me.  They repaired it under warranty.

FYI, I recently had the bootloop issue occur on my phone (8 months in). They fixed it under warranty and replaced the board. I had to send it back and wait 10+ days for it.

Now I don't recommend the LG G4.

I probably will sell the replacement phone later this year. I have no confidence they have actually implemented a resilient long term fix.

etee said:   FYI, I recently had the bootloop issue occur on my phone (8 months in). They fixed it under warranty and replaced the board. I had to send it back and wait 10+ days for it.

I probably will sell the replacement phone later this year. I have no confidence they have actually implemented a resilient long term fix.

Hmm.  I wonder if it has anything to do with usage pattern?   i.e.  Are people having this issue power users or heavy users of certain apps or games?
  We have two LG G4s TMO and ATT versions.  ATT one was an early batch made in May 2015,  TMO one was bought in August 2015.
  Both are used very lightly mainly just camera,  youtube, e-mails and LINE app.  No anything like games or resource heavy apps, not even Netflix. 
  Neither phones have the bootloop issue.  So I wonder if only certain batches have this issue or the G4 is not designed/tested for heavy use.

View said:   
etee said:   FYI, I recently had the bootloop issue occur on my phone (8 months in). They fixed it under warranty and replaced the board. I had to send it back and wait 10+ days for it.

Hmm.  I wonder if it has anything to do with usage pattern?   i.e.  Are people having this issue power users or heavy users of certain apps or games?
  We have two LG G4s TMO and ATT versions.  ATT one was an early batch made in May 2015,  TMO one was bought in August 2015.
  Both are used very lightly mainly just camera,  youtube, e-mails and LINE app.  No anything like games or resource heavy apps, not even Netflix. 
  Neither phones have the bootloop issue.  So I wonder if only certain batches have this issue or the G4 is not designed/tested for heavy use.

I googled and found the answer myself.  It is indeed related to heat.  According to some affected users the hardware design flaw may cause a certain component to malfunction under heat and over time may destroy the phone.
  Some people were able to put the phone into the freezer so that they could recover at least their data.
  One of our G4s had a heat problem with the "Exchange Connector" software.  Once it's disabled things seem to be a lot better and it no longer overheats.  
  This reminds me of the NVIDIA lawsuit that involved many HP and Dell laptops mostly based on AMD and NVIDIA chips/  That led to a settlement where everyone got a baseline new generation laptop.
  That was exactly the same overheating issue causing permanent hardware damages.  I wonder if LG would compensate G4 owners in some way in the future...

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017