1GB RAM and 8GB eMMC. Not for me. Thanks.

Wow. I have a win10 tablet with 16gb and that's tight, maybe 2gb free. I can't see how 8gb is enough.

You can run a small Linux desktop distro relatively comfortably in 8GB - I've done it more than one on an 8GB USB flash drive (I mean a fully installed Linux OS, not a "live" boot, which takes much less space.) If you don't need a desktop manager, you can run a server version of Linux very comfortably with 8GB of storage space. I could easily run my web/email server on this thing, though that CPU is a little slower than I'd prefer.

Stubtify said:   Wow. I have a win10 tablet with 16gb and that's tight, maybe 2gb free. I can't see how 8gb is enough.
This isn't meant for Windows. It comes with Linux pre-installed.

It's not the fastest but can drive a digital display with minor animations with no issue.

I have a small cluster built on Virtual box running 10 linux nodes on the same physical computer. Each linux node has 4GB partition for everything. While the node is idle, the disk usage is around 22%. In other words, the system itself takes about 900MB on the disk. That was even before I start trimming down by removing unused tool packages.

The reality is there are lots of garbage or things we don't need that come pre-installed by the software vendor to create this illusion that everyone should have 1TB hard drive to start before they can do anything.

Is this running Ubuntu?

This is the original version of the Intel compute stick. The Bay Trail version got much better reviews as it came with a "real" Intel wireless chipset.

gremln007 said:   Is this running Ubuntu?
Yes.

thanks for the info ALL and thanks for sharing OP. ( green for all ! ) this is the review i found on Newegg ( the seller on eBay. ) this is close if not exactly what i want to plug in to the back of my tv. IF it wont plug right in ( size / available space etc.. ) i will just use a double female cable. ( female on both ends ) and slap it inside the enclosure for games and bluray/dvds. thats a win / win / win <----- a full win more then a win / win. bahaha

by thatlostdog Jun 30, 2016

Could be Great but falls flat on its face

I was excited about this product when it launched. The size and speed is amazing. The real problem is they cheaped out and destroyed it with 8GB Drive. In reality its not even that big. The OS takes up all 300 MB of space so it doesn't even have room to update. If it had a 16GB drive with linux your good but they saved 50 cents and went from almost perfect to almost useless.

ccole said:   This is the original version of the Intel compute stick. The Bay Trail version got much better reviews as it came with a "real" Intel wireless chipset.
As well as various other improvements. The newer one has much better reviews and comes with Windows but costs about three times as much:
https://www.amazon.com/Intel-Compute-Computer-processor-BOXSTK1A...

This model is likely being discontinued and this price is likely a clearance price.

carrying it in my pocket ? seems like something i could or would want. then i have to wonder why am i going through all that in the first place.. instead of buying one of these i got an HP stream 11 it comes with windows 10, easy to setup, has a screen and keyboard, connects easily to the smart tv with bluetooth, can use a wired connection if desired, basically the same setup 2gb ram and processor. i am quite happy with it as well and i can take it on the go and use the wifi anywhere i want. thanks again because today i am grateful to. ( well maybe a little lucky on occasion to )

I tried one of these running windows and it was very slow.

Crippled beyond belief. Useful for digital signage, but not much else I guess. You can't even fit Linux Mint on there.

Edit: I guess you could plug in a larger USB flash drive, with a newer Linux distro, and boot off of that?

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2016