posted 2 months ago by
respdoc
Senior Member - 9K

IMHO these buttons are usually pretty lame but currently Ebates is offering $2.50 Cashback via their link so may be worthwhile if someone wanted to try them out:

http://www.ebates.com/amazon.htm?navigation_id=22780 

The buttons themselves also offer $4.99 Amazon credit after first purchase. 

35 Comments
Add Comment
rated:
Thanks for this. I've been trying to come up with a cheap way to notify me with the mailbox outside is opened and this might fit the bill. Related

rated:
Does anyone know if this is good for multiple purchases?

rated:
"Exclusive for Prime members"

rated:
christoj879 said:   Thanks for this. I've been trying to come up with a cheap way to notify me with the mailbox outside is opened and this might fit the bill. Related

Cool page. Wonder if they can be used as a doorbell+smartphone as cheap Ring clone?

rated:
$4.99 credit only for dash purchase?

If so what's the best value to combine w/ another coupon deal?

rated:
needhelpplease said:   
christoj879 said:   Thanks for this. I've been trying to come up with a cheap way to notify me with the mailbox outside is opened and this might fit the bill. Related

Cool page. Wonder if they can be used as a doorbell+smartphone as cheap Ring clone?

It might be alright if you don't mind a small delay.  The device lives in sleep mode to extend battery life and only a button press wakes it up.  Then it must connect to the network.  I don't remember how long the process takes.

rated:
giqcass said:   
needhelpplease said:   

It might be alright if you don't mind a small delay.  The device lives in sleep mode to extend battery life and only a button press wakes it up.  Then it must connect to the network.  I don't remember how long the process takes.

Yeah Let the people wait outside  Is hacking software or hardware based ?

rated:
Thanks

It would be helpful if you were to put "Prime Members" in the title
Looks like you have posted before & would know this

rated:
needhelpplease said:   
giqcass said:     It might be alright if you don't mind a small delay.  The device lives in sleep mode to extend battery life and only a button press wakes it up.  Then it must connect to the network.  I don't remember how long the process takes.

Yeah Let the people wait outside  Is hacking software or hardware based ?

Here's a page that describes how the "hack" works: https://medium.com/@edwardbenson/how-i-hacked-amazon-s-5-wifi-bu...
It doesn't involve changing anything in the Dash button; you just run a packet sniffer on a computer, that detects when the button connects to the network.  (And when setting up the button at Amazon, you skip the step that makes it actually order something.)

rated:
Here's a page that describes how the "hack" works: https://medium.com/@edwardbenson/how-i-hacked-amazon-s-5-wifi-button-to-track-baby-data-794214b0bdd8#.clbospt86It doesn't involve changing anything in the Dash button; you just run a packet sniffer on a computer, that detects when the button connects to the network.  (And when setting up the button at Amazon, you skip the step that makes it actually order something.)
  That's the only reason I bought one when they came out.  I would not be surprised if 1/4 of them are being either never used or re-purposed.  I like the method where you run a CGI script directly on the router to detect the button press.  Then data can be sent to if this then that and almost anything can be attached.  These buttons are great for experimenting.

rated:
I read that the brands pay Amazon a few bucks for every Dash button sold, regardless of whether or not it's even used.

rated:
george2001 said:   "Exclusive for Prime members"
  This seems like something thät should have been mentioned upfront instead of having people ŵaste their time discovering it for themselves, or having to read through the posts until george2001 was nice enough to share when he discovered it.  I get offers from Visa or Masterçards I have sometimes.   Perhaps I should just post them as Visa card or Mastercard card offers without stating that it is only aväilable for people holding that çard with a particular bank.

rated:
Really, this must be the most stupid product of the year.

rated:
Thanks, but if you even wonder why our planet's coming to boil, well...

rated:
There's another click-thru site that is at the "top" that is offering $5 back when you buy a button, so I got one that way.

rated:
drew2money said:   Really, this must be the most stupid product of the year.
  for people who paid $100 for prime membership. they will buy them.

rated:
microkelvin said:   

I'm sorry but this is a Fatwallet forum.  Who paid full price for Amazon Prime? You must be talking about regular people. lol

rated:
Where's the darn "beer" button?!

rated:
giqcass said:   
microkelvin said:   

I'm sorry but this is a Fatwallet forum.  Who paid full price for Amazon Prime? You must be talking about regular people. lol

how much did you pay?
why buy from them when i can get the same thing for the same price after tax at my local stores.
most of local stores now will pm Amazon. i used to spend more than $10k a year on Amazon until they started charging sales tax. now they turn into a greedy prime pusher to make up their lost customers.

rated:
  agree, and what a waste of electronics and crap. just picturing all this junk being made. at least some of the hacks look useful, but then takes time

rated:
just realized it's $4.99 credit after your first press - so I wouldn't really call it a moneymaker. you have to order something (and there isn't any cheap thing to order with a dash button). most things are $20+ so this deal is more like "Save 10% on your first dash purchase and also get a free dash button!!!!!"

rated:
microkelvin said:   giqcass said:   
microkelvin said:   

I'm sorry but this is a Fatwallet forum.  Who paid full price for Amazon Prime? You must be talking about regular people. lol

how much did you pay?
why buy from them when i can get the same thing for the same price after tax at my local stores.
most of local stores now will pm Amazon. i used to spend more than $10k a year on Amazon until they started charging sales tax. now they turn into a greedy prime pusher to make up their lost customers.

You know they don't CHARGE sales tax, they COLLECT it. They are doing what they are required to do by law. And if you were buying $10k a year and not paying sales tax on that then you should have been paying use tax on it when you filed taxes.
I only have prime this year since I got it for free from Sprint, and probably won't renew. The only thing that I feel was a good deal from Amazon Prime was about 50% off diapers.

rated:
emp1 said:   
microkelvin said:   
giqcass said:   
microkelvin said:   

how much did you pay?
most of local stores now will pm Amazon. i used to spend more than $10k a year on Amazon until they started charging sales tax. now they turn into a greedy prime pusher to make up their lost customers.

You know they don't CHARGE sales tax, they COLLECT it. They are doing what they are required to do by law. And if you were buying $10k a year and not paying sales tax on that then you should have been paying use tax on it when you filed taxes.
I only have prime this year since I got it for free from Sprint, and probably won't renew. The only thing that I feel was a good deal from Amazon Prime was about 50% off diapers.

rated:
microkelvin said:   
giqcass said:   
microkelvin said:   

how much did you pay?
most of local stores now will pm Amazon. i used to spend more than $10k a year on Amazon until they started charging sales tax. now they turn into a greedy prime pusher to make up their lost customers.

I'd like to see a store PM S&S prices.  Good luck with that.  Also I get my Amazon gift cards at about 20% off, so good luck matching that at local stores as well.  

rated:
russ0519 said:    Also I get my Amazon gift cards at about 20% off

How are you getting Amazon gift cards for 20% off?

rated:
russ0519 said:     I'd like to see a store PM S&S prices.  Good luck with that.  Also I get my Amazon gift cards at about 20% off, so good luck matching that at local stores as well.  
  Yeah, I just went to order something on Amazon.  Pulled out my Discover card thinking 5% + double cash back, then facepalmed because 15-20% GCs aren't meant to be sock drawered.  

rated:
jschuman said:   
russ0519 said:    Also I get my Amazon gift cards at about 20% off
How are you getting Amazon gift cards for 20% off?

It's usually not direct.  Start by getting eBay GCs at 5% off (or more).  With your avatar, you should know one store where thats possible.  Use those eBay cards to get discounted GCs during the good sales or large eBay bucks promotions.  Know which stores take their own GCs and let you buy Amazon cards.  Throw in a little portal cash back along the way.
Its not something you get in 5 minutes, but if you can float the funds and take advantage of opportunities when they come along, you can maintain a small cache.  
Last cycle I got $250 of eBay GCs at Fry's for effectively 17% off.  Recycled $70 of that into a $100 Amazon card + a few bucks cash back.  Bottom line - $180 eBay GCs at 17% off; $100 Amazon GC at 44.2% off.  Could just as easily ended up with almost all Amazon GCs.  YMMV

rated:
microkelvin said:   giqcass said:   
microkelvin said:   
  how much did you pay?

$49 with the student discount.
Does the store let you stream video like Amazon Prime and deliver the stuff you buy to your home?

I can easily make up the $49 on not driving to the store looking for a deal. Most of my orders are for things I can't buy locally or cost approximately the same/less on Amazon. Always less if I deduct gas. Why would I make an extra trip so someone can match the price Amazon will deliver if for?

Amazon Prime members are like superheroes saving the environment in their underwear from the comfort of their couch while scratching their ...... Your welcome. Lol

rated:
Thanks.

rated:
walletfart said:   just realized it's $4.99 credit after your first press - so I wouldn't really call it a moneymaker. you have to order something (and there isn't any cheap thing to order with a dash button). most things are $20+ so this deal is more like "Save 10% on your first dash purchase and also get a free dash button!!!!!"

Walletfart, you're absolutely right but I think that's why the title has "moneymaker" in quotes.  As OP stated, it might be worthwhile to check it out if you were going to try it anyway, but I'm sure that Amazon will be the real moneymaker in this deal in the long run!

rated:

Homer (16.30kB)
Disclaimer
From the days of going to the store -- to clicking on a mouse -- to now "dashing" a purchase from the toilet....

rated:
yoregano said:   There's another click-thru site that is at the "top" that is offering $5 back when you buy a button, so I got one that way.
Did you get the $5 from the "top" site?  I clicked through them 5 days ago, but the transaction doesn't show up yet.  And I just noticed they have special terms for Amazon: "you will be unable to submit a Missing Cash Back Claim".

Then I received the Dash button (for Puffs) and was considering purchasing something with it to get the $4.99 credit. But it only gives me 3 choices, none of which I really want, at prices of $33 or above; even after $4.99 credit, the prices are double what I'd pay in a local store.  So it's basically worthless.

rated:
I bought the SmartWater button - the only option is a 6 pack of 1 liter water bottles for $5.99. I received the button and bought the water. Sadly they shipped the 6 liters of water with 2 tiny delicate light bulbs so I'm anticipating the worst.

This morning eBates says "Cash Back not available for the Amaz0n department(s) in this order". I put in a request for missing cash back and they gave it to me without question.

rated:
trudi said:   This morning eBates says "Cash Back not available for the Amaz0n department(s) in this order". I put in a request for missing cash back and they gave it to me without question.
  I just submitted my request for the missing Cash Back and it got immediately added to my account.

rated:
govenar said:   
yoregano said:   There's another click-thru site that is at the "top" that is offering $5 back when you buy a button, so I got one that way.
Did you get the $5 from the "top" site?  I clicked through them 5 days ago, but the transaction doesn't show up yet.  And I just noticed they have special terms for Amazon : "you will be unable to submit a Missing Cash Back Claim".

Then I received the Dash button (for Puffs) and was considering purchasing something with it to get the $4.99 credit. But it only gives me 3 choices, none of which I really want, at prices of $33 or above; even after $4.99 credit, the prices are double what I'd pay in a local store.  So it's basically worthless.

No, not yet. We'll see.

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2016