• filter:
  • Page :
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
Voting History
rated:

PF (15.20kB)
Disclaimer
Planet Fitness is offering new members in the USA and Canada a $1 down then $10 a month, no commitment membership through July 14, 2016. Only participating locations qualify, so start by selecting your desired location here (this discount membership is good at sign-up location only): http://planetfitness.com/local-clubs. 

I could not find any additional terms and conditions, or fine print about this deal on their website (beyond the press release copied below). Also, It's been a long while since a Planet Fitness deal has been posted on FW and I've never been a member, so I'm not up on the latest pros and cons of joining their gyms, payments, renewal fees, cancelling, etc. I didn't want to regurgitate any outdated info from previous posts, so If you have any current insights, please post them.

ETA: according to replies, upon signup some members see "Plus applicable taxes. Billed monthly to a checking account. Annual Membership Fee of $29.00 plus applicable taxes will be billed on or shortly after October 1st. Membership can only be used at this location. This offer has no monthly commitment." You'd have to cancel by September 2016 to avoid the annual fee, or decide if the additional $2.42 per month is sill reasonable compared to what most gyms charge for fees and dues (thanks silentbob007 and emp1).

=============================================================================================================================================

July 5, 2016 Press Releases 

BEAT THE HEAT AND JOIN PLANET FITNESS FOR $1 DOWN AND $10 A MONTH NOW THROUGH JULY 14 WITH NO COMMITMENT 

NEWINGTON, NH (July 5, 2016) – As the temperatures rise, Planet Fitness, one of the largest and fastest-growing franchisors and operators of fitness centers in the U.S., is offering a hot summer sale beginning today, July 5, through Thursday, July 14. New members can join any Planet Fitness location in the United States and Canada for just $1 down and then $10 a month, with no commitment.* Planet Fitness has more than 1,100 locations system-wide. To take advantage of this great deal or find a club near you, visit: http://planetfitness.com/local-clubs.  

“As we get further into summer and temperatures rise, people are looking for a cool and comfortable place to workout,” said Jessica Correa, Planet Fitness’ Senior Vice President of Marketing. “We encourage everyone to come check out Planet Fitness, take a tour, meet our friendly staff, and take advantage of this great deal by joining for only one dollar.” 

Planet Fitness has revolutionized the fitness industry with extremely low prices and offers a variety of benefits including a hassle-free, non-intimidating environment called the Judgement Free Zone®, state of the art cardio machines and strength equipment, 30-Minute Express Circuit, fully equipped locker rooms with day lockers and showers, numerous flat screen televisions, unlimited small group fitness instruction by a certified trainer through the pe @ pf ® program and much more. In addition, as a member appreciation gesture, Planet Fitness provides free pizza on the first Monday of every month, and free bagels on the second Tuesday of every month while supplies last, as a reminder that it’s okay to treat yourself every once in a while. 

The PF Black Card® membership*, which is $19.99 a month, includes additional amenities such as the ability to bring a guest every day at no additional charge, access to all 1,100+ Planet Fitness locations, as well as access to massage beds and chairs and tanning, among other benefits*. 

Planet Fitness also provides members with an opportunity to connect and support each other with “Planet of Triumphs,” an online community that celebrates all accomplishments and inspirational stories of Planet Fitness members. Planet of Triumphs provides an online platform for members to recognize their triumphs (big or small), share their stories and encourage others, reinforcing the Company’s belief that ‘everyone belongs’. 

For more information or to join online, please visit www.planetfitness.com or follow us on Facebook (www.facebook.com/PlanetFitness) and Twitter (www.twitter.com/PlanetFitness).  

*Participating locations only; not valid in Puerto Rico and the Dominican Republic. Sale starts July 4 in Canada. PF Black Card® amenities may vary by location. 

About Planet Fitness: Founded in 1992 in Dover, N.H., Planet Fitness (NYSE: PLNT) is one of the largest and fastest-growing franchisors and operators of fitness centers in the United States by number of members and locations. With more than 1,100 locations in 47 states, the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico, Canada and the Dominican Republic, Planet Fitness’ mission is to enhance people’s lives by providing a high-quality fitness experience in a welcoming, non-intimidating environment, which we call the Judgement Free Zone®. More than 90% of Planet Fitness stores are owned and operated by independent business men and women.

Member Summary

Planet Fitness (29.95kB)
Thanks Neilium
Disclaimer
Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

rated:
This is a great deal, but consumer please beware!

If you move from one PF club to another club, the "no commitment" might not be carried with you.
If you move from one PF club to another club, and if the new club is not in the same network with your previous club, you might get the "double-evil" issue. Both clubs will continue to deduct money from your checking account twice.

This is based on my real experience with them. I signed up without the "commitment. Cancel any time!", but when I moved, this deal didn't carry with me. When I cancelled my membership at the new club, they charge me the fee of $76.

You can research BBB website for more similar complaints out there.

rated:
Yeah this is slightly off topic but you gotta watch the fine print.  I was with YouFit which has a similar $10 (single club) and $20 (all club) levels.  The guy said I could downgrade at any time.  When I decided to do that they said "oh no, that's not possible".  I explained to them 3 times that zero money is less than $10 a month.  They wouldn't budge so I cancelled and never went back. They closed.  I'm still here.  I guess they showed me!  

rated:
This "deal" has been offered for the at least 12 months when I looked into it last summer.  This is in the Alhambra, CA location...I think they must have 100 cardio machines.  However, the weights area is lacking.  Gym is very crowded in general, probably due to the fact that if you get the "black" membership you can bring a friend.  If you have a regular workout partner and love cardio machines, PF is the gym for you.  If you like weights, you might want to have a look around first.

rated:
Those crooks deserve to go out of business. What they don't tell you is there's 13 months in a year. So they pick a random month, hit your account twice.

And if that gets rejected as a duplicate? Late fees added every month.

And that's not even mentioning the alarm. If you think you have 1 more rep in you put the weights down. If anything louder than a sigh escapes your mouth they will sound an alarm so that everyone working out can stare at you for daring to try to do one better than last time.

I'm not kidding. I wish I was

rated:
Sorry but how is this a deal? They always advertise $10 down $10 month so this is just $9 off the sign up fee?

rated:
skyjockey said:   Sorry but how is this a deal? They always advertise $10 down $10 month so this is just $9 off the sign up fee?
I checked last week and it was $30 down and $10/month so this is a deal. Maybe I just happened to catch it between promos or something.

rated:
Most issues brought up involve the customer unable to comprehend the contract they signed. Most don't even read it. I joined earlier this year for $10 down and $10 a month. Clearly told me deadline I could cancel each month before incurring fee. Clearly told me when they charged the annual fee, and what date I had to cancel by to avoid the annual fee (i.e. the "double month"). I cancelled a week before the annual fee cutoff, and a day before the next month cutoff, and had no problems whatsoever. Make sure you sign up with a credit card and not with a checking account.

rated:
scrouds said:   Those crooks deserve to go out of business. What they don't tell you is there's 13 months in a year. So they pick a random month, hit your account twice.

And that's not even mentioning the alarm. If you think you have 1 more rep in you put the weights down. If anything louder than a sigh escapes your mouth they will sound an alarm so that everyone working out can stare at you for daring to try to do one better than last time.

There's a yearly fee that's due every October, I believe.

rated:
acquavallo said:   scrouds said:   Those crooks deserve to go out of business. What they don't tell you is there's 13 months in a year. So they pick a random month, hit your account twice.

Then op needs to update the title with correct info.

rated:
scrouds said:   
acquavallo said:   

I would gladly update if I could find the T&Cs or something concrete on their website (or even a current member on the $10/month plan who knows for sure). I saw in a thread that is several years old that there was a $29 fee if you continue past the first year (to guarantee the continued $10/month rate), but I've no valid source for their current renewal price or policy. Either way, if you cancel at the one year mark as EradicateSpam indicated, the deal posted in the OP is 100% correct and accurate.

ETA: according to silentbob007 and emp1, annual fees are not charged after 12 months of membership, but are charged in October for everyone. So if the annual fee is $29 at your location, add an additional $2.42 to your monthly cost.

rated:
You see the fine print once you choose a club to sign up for.  It says details may vary from club to club, so keep that in mind.  Here's what my local club says:

Plus applicable taxes. Billed monthly to a checking account. Annual Membership Fee of $39.00 plus applicable taxes will be billed on or shortly after October 1st. Membership can only be used at this location. This offer has no monthly commitment.

rated:
fivetalents said:   scrouds said:   
acquavallo said:   

I would gladly update if I could find the T&Cs or something concrete on their website (or even a current member on the $10/month plan who knows for sure). I saw in a thread that is several years old that there was a $29 fee if you continue past the first year (to guarantee the continued $10/month rate), but I've no valid source for their current renewal price or policy. Either way, if you cancel at the one year mark as EradicateSpam indicated, the deal posted in the OP is 100% correct and accurate.

When you click join and select your club it says
Plus applicable taxes. Billed monthly to a checking account. Annual Membership Fee of $29.00 plus applicable taxes will be billed on or shortly after October 1st. Membership can only be used at this location. This offer has no monthly commitment. so cancelling at the 1 year mark will not save you from the annual fee. To avoid the annual fee you would have to cancel by September 2016. For the price it's still good even with the annual fee since most gyms have substantially higher initiation fees, annual fees, and monthly fees.

rated:
As a digital Nomad I love Planet Fitness. $20 a month for me and my partner which includes showers, gym, massage and free overnight parking. I would pay more if I had to.

rated:
johnpg said:   As a digital Nomad I love Planet Fitness. $20 a month for me and my partner which includes showers, gym, massage and free overnight parking. I would pay more if I had to.

Plus use of any location! Do you know if members who start at the $10/month promo can upgrade at any time to the Black Card membership (or downgrade from it)? What is your annual fee as a Black Card member? TIA.

rated:
$21.26 plus $39 annually billed in June using Delray Beach, FL as my home base. I don't think you can change your plan as you go. We have stayed at planet fitnesses in Chattanooga, TN - Sioux Falls, SD - Loveland, CO (24 hours even on the weekend) - Denver, CO - Delray Beach, FL. It is a nice place to take a shower and get a workout if you're on a cross country trip.

rated:
johnpg said:   $21.26 plus $39 annually billed in June using Delray Beach, FL as my home base. I don't think you can change your plan as you go. We have stayed at planet fitnesses in Chattanooga, TN - Sioux Falls, SD - Loveland, CO (24 hours even on the weekend) - Denver, CO - Delray Beach, FL. It is a nice place to take a shower and get a workout if you're on a cross country trip.
  That's great info. Thanks so much. I forgot to ask: is there any way for your guest to work out/use perks at the gym when you are not present?

rated:
fivetalents said:   
johnpg said:   $21.26 plus $39 annually billed in June using Delray Beach, FL as my home base. I don't think you can change your plan as you go. We have stayed at planet fitnesses in Chattanooga, TN - Sioux Falls, SD - Loveland, CO (24 hours even on the weekend) - Denver, CO - Delray Beach, FL. It is a nice place to take a shower and get a workout if you're on a cross country trip.
  That's great info. Thanks so much. I forgot to ask: is there any way for your guest to work out/use perks at the gym when you are not present?

I don't believe so, you could give them your tag but I think they keep a picture of you. I just walk my girlfriend in and leave.

rated:
johnpg said:   
fivetalents said:   

I don't believe so, you could give them your tag but I think they keep a picture of you. I just walk my girlfriend in and leave.

OK. That's too bad.. it would have been nice to essentially split the annual fee if you didn't have to always attend together (sort of like a referral bonus). Wishful thinking on my part, LOL. Thanks again for the useful insights!

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2016