posted 47 years ago by
mogelijk

Project Fi is offering the Nexus 6P for $150 off; this makes the 32GB version $349, the 64GB version $399, and the 128GB version $499.  This does require signing up for Project Fi, which is $30 per month minimum, but you can quit after the first day of service and get most of the $30 back (phone just has to be activated on Project Fi). The phone is carrier unlocked, so if you cancel service it can be moved to other carriers -- and the Nexus 6P is compatible with all US networks. The sale price was announced it would be for one week (through July 19, 2016).

Project Fi is a Google cell phone service that runs on T-Mobile, Sprint, and US Cellular networks -- switching your phone to whichever network has the best signal/fastest speeds at any given time. It is a good deal for light data users as it is $20 for unlimited talk and text, and then $10 per GB of data used. While it has you sign up for a "plan" based on the number of GBs you expect to use per month, they refund you for the cost of any unused data -- for example, if you sign up for 1GB of data ($10) and you only use 50MB, they will credit you $9.50 on your next bill for the unused data (or refund it if you quit). There are also no overage charges -- if you use too much data, they merely charge you at the same $10 per GB rate on your next bill for any extra data used. Project Fi also has International roaming (over 135 countries) with free texting, data charged at the same $10 per GB rate, and calls cost $0.20/minute.

Views
29 Comments
Add Comment
Good deal. Just be aware that there might be a new Nexus smartphone coming later this year: http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2016/07/2016-nexus-render-shows-t...

Also, the 6P's camera lacks OIS.

FutureDilemma said:   Good deal. Just be aware that there might be a new Nexus smartphone coming later this year: http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2016/07/2016-nexus-render-shows-t... 

Wait a second.  You're saying that newer phones might be coming out after this phone?  HOLY COW TELL ME MORE!

I categorize this is a solid deal. The best comparison would be between the 64GB Nexus 6P ($399 with this deal) and the OnePlus 3 ("OP3") 64GB ($399 regularly priced).

The 6P has a better screen, a bigger battery, a slightly better camera (would be a lot better if it had OIS), but most importantly gets the newest version of Android within weeks of its release.

The OP3 has a better processor with the 820 vs. 810 in the 6P and 6 gigs of ram vs 3 in the 6P. The 820 is considerably more efficient and has less throttling and heat issues than the 6P. In the real world, I have had both phones, and the OP3 is noticeably faster; the OP3 flies. The camera is pretty good on the OP3, but not quite as good as the 6P for detailed shots. Unlike the 6P, you can expect that the OP3 will not get Android N until 3-9 months after its release.

Ultimately, the OP3 is a noticeably faster phone, with a slightly weaker camera than the 6P. The decision to buy comes down to how important having the latest and greatest software updates, right away, is to you. Personally, I would buy the OP3 since it is so future proof as far as the specifications go. It is going to take a good long while before 6 gigs of ram and the 820 processor are outdated. It can probably last you three years.

Good phone but weak camera.

Why does all nexus phone camera suck (at least the ones I have)? I have the Nexus 5 and my wife has the 6p both suck compared to my previous Samsung phones. Do Google not care about the camera specs when they bid on a contract? Or is it their standard. We may never know.

mogelijk said:   Project Fi is offering the Nexus 6P for $150 off; this makes the 32GB version $349, the 64GB version $399, and the 128GB version $499.  This does require signing up for Project Fi, which is $30 per month minimum, 
Plan access is $20/month +$10/gb for data with a minimum of 1gb. However, you are refunded pro-rata for unused data. Mrs. Pouncer's first monthly bill was $27.77 because she used 777mb her first month.  A technicality but your monthly minimum could actually be $20 if you use no data and just call and text, both of which are unlimited.

FYI I use no data and my monthly bills are something like $24 with taxes/fees.

cyfan said:   
FutureDilemma said:   Good deal. Just be aware that there might be a new Nexus smartphone coming later this year: http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2016/07/2016-nexus-render-shows-t... 

Wait a second.  You're saying that newer phones might be coming out after this phone?  HOLY COW TELL ME MORE!

I think he means that the 6P is going to get discounted further once the new phone comes out, so waiting a few months may bring a better deal than this.

montee4 said:   
cyfan said:   

I think he means that the 6P is going to get discounted further once the new phone comes out, so waiting a few months may bring a better deal than this.

but that's true with any electronic device ever 

bxlefty23 said:   
montee4 said:   
cyfan said:   

but that's true with any electronic device ever 

Not the original Apple I computer!

I have a Nexus 6p that I got without this deal. I am happy with it except my battery life is even worse than the OnePlus I came from (I was a big fan of OnePlus but started having problems with the One that made me hesitant to buy another OnePlus). I don't have project fi yet.. I like the concept but for me Tmobile has come out better (I got this phone partially because my opo didn't have band 12 lte) even though their international roaming can be slower..

I have the S6 Samsung with Sprint sero 50$....thinking of switching to fi. I guess the service would only be better with two more networks. Any recommendations for someone in SoCal Anaheim? Thanks

Sprint rep told me I'd get better service by dropping sero...not sure why it would matter

Nexus 6P works on all US carriers. 1+3 works only on GSM capable phones.

What's up will all these new members??? Google is paying shills now?

ezletzpla said:   I have the S6 Samsung with Sprint sero 50$....thinking of switching to fi. I guess the service would only be better with two more networks. Any recommendations for someone in SoCal Anaheim? Thanks

Do not drop Sero, you cannot beat that deal.  Truly unlimited for $50 a month and a phone subsidy built in?

runfast1986 said:   I categorize this is a solid deal. The best comparison would be between the 64GB Nexus 6P ($399 with this deal) and the OnePlus 3 ("OP3") 64GB ($399 regularly priced).

The 6P has a better screen, a bigger battery, a slightly better camera (would be a lot better if it had OIS), but most importantly gets the newest version of Android within weeks of its release.

The OP3 has a better processor with the 820 vs. 810 in the 6P and 6 gigs of ram vs 3 in the 6P. The 820 is considerably more efficient and has less throttling and heat issues than the 6P. In the real world, I have had both phones, and the OP3 is noticeably faster; the OP3 flies. The camera is pretty good on the OP3, but not quite as good as the 6P for detailed shots. Unlike the 6P, you can expect that the OP3 will not get Android N until 3-9 months after its release.

Ultimately, the OP3 is a noticeably faster phone, with a slightly weaker camera than the 6P. The decision to buy comes down to how important having the latest and greatest software updates, right away, is to you. Personally, I would buy the OP3 since it is so future proof as far as the specifications go. It is going to take a good long while before 6 gigs of ram and the 820 processor are outdated. It can probably last you three years.

So you're pretty happy with the OP3 then?  Mine is being delivered today (should have been yesterday, thanks DHL)

I really wanted to wait for the new Moto Z's and get one of those, but my 1st gen Moto X has had horrible issues since an Android security update a month or so back.  Random restarts, battery dying in hours, phone locking up, etc.  I briefly considered the 6P as I was researching new phones, but I wanted a future proof phone, as much as you can really get a future proof smartphone.  Hoping the OP3 lasts a couple years.

gremlins718 said:   

Not the original Apple I computer!

The original Apple computer price dropped when everyone wanted the new Apple II computer when it was released. Then later when Apple became such a status, then the Apple I was considered a collectors item. Just like a few autos out there, some electronics items will in the long run be worth more, not for their actual technology but because of other factors. 

MVP9596 said:   
runfast1986 said:   I categorize this is a solid deal. The best comparison would be between the 64GB Nexus 6P ($399 with this deal) and the OnePlus 3 ("OP3") 64GB ($399 regularly priced).

So you're pretty happy with the OP3 then?  Mine is being delivered today (should have been yesterday, thanks DHL)

I really wanted to wait for the new Moto Z's and get one of those, but my 1st gen Moto X has had horrible issues since an Android security update a month or so back.  Random restarts, battery dying in hours, phone locking up, etc.  I briefly considered the 6P as I was researching new phones, but I wanted a future proof phone, as much as you can really get a future proof smartphone.  Hoping the OP3 lasts a couple years.

Your comment makes no sense to me, that you wanted a "future proof phone," especially coming from the original Moto X. The Nexus 6P looks to be much more "future proof", particularly when you look at getting timely updates and timely security patches for a longer period, then compared to pretty much any phone on the market. The fact that you've used an underpowered Moto X this long shows that there isn't an issue in using a current flagship phone for 3 years or even more. I have the original Moto X and loved it, outside of how slow the few updates were and that Motorola/Lenovo quit giving it updates.

The 6P is a great phone, though as others have pointed out, there are several great phones on the market. What makes a phone the "best" really depends on the individual. What people tend to like about the 6P is that it comes with a "Pure Android", it isn't loaded down with bloatware or extra carrier add ons; though you can always add a different launcher or other add on if don't want the Google Now launcher. The battery lasts quite well for most people -- your mileage may vary. The 6P should get a minimum of 4 hours of screen on time, with some people reporting 6 hours. For light users, the battery will last days -- Doze (part of Android Marshmallow and improved in Nougat) does a good job of limiting battery usage when the phone isn't being used (1-3% battery usage overnight). The camera has been rated by reviewers as extremely good -- similar quality to the iPhone 6s and a tad worse than the Galaxy S7 -- the lack of OIS really only seems to matter with video. It particularly does well in low light. Some complain about the lack of options in the stock camera app , but there are plenty of third party apps if you want/need to be able to control shutter speed, aperture, white balance, etc. Of course, picture taking is subjective -- the Nexus does not tend to do a great deal of processing of pictures (unless taken with HDR), some people prefer the look after some phones have done the extra processing. Of course, the biggest advantage is the guaranteed Android updates and security patches, all within weeks of Android making them available. 

MVP9596 said:   

Yes, I am happy with the OP3.  The only issue I have ran into with it is the bluetooth connection between my car and the phone.

mogelijk said:   
MVP9596 said:   

Your comment makes no sense to me, that you wanted a "future proof phone," especially coming from the original Moto X. The Nexus 6P looks to be much more "future proof", particularly when you look at getting timely updates and timely security patches for a longer period, then compared to pretty much any phone on the market. The fact that you've used an underpowered Moto X this long shows that there isn't an issue in using a current flagship phone for 3 years or even more. I have the original Moto X and loved it, outside of how slow the few updates were and that Motorola/Lenovo quit giving it updates.

Sorry I didn't clarify.  I wanted the newer 820 chipset, a newer GPU and while it's not perfectly optimized, the 6 gigs of ram. That's what I meant by future proof.  I know the 6P is a very good phone, and I wasn't dismissing it. 

My debate is this phone versus the S7 on Verizon.

I LOVE the idea of no bloatware because Verizon loads a ton of it and I don't root my phone but the waterproof of S7 I think will cause me to lean that way even with the bloatware.

Prngr44 said:   My debate is this phone versus the S7 on Verizon.

I LOVE the idea of no bloatware because Verizon loads a ton of it and I don't root my phone but the waterproof of S7 I think will cause me to lean that way even with the bloatware.

If you're willing to spend the money. You can now buy the Galaxy S7 bloatware free, carrier bloatware free that is, and unlocked in the USA. Best buy had hem and you can also buy it from Samsung direct. You do have to be willing to spend the money though and it's $649. Works with all major carriers Sprint Verizon ATT T-Mobile.

Interesting, I thought the only truly unlocked phones were GSM carriers only?

I bought G7 unlocked from Best Buy the other day and activated it on Sprint. You need a "UCC" (looks like a sim card) which they had a stack of in a drawer at BB. Seems to be working fine.

One plus (any number) is a terrible phone, with a poor customer care. What i have learnt from buying one plus was , you get what you give, Thats very simple. I have used Samsung note 6 before one plus for a year and due to poor Sprint reception, i changed my phone. I have been repenting everyday with One plus for almost a year. Please think twice before going for OP. I am expecting a very good review after my review from someone in this forum. you know why? One plus has full time review writers who work 24/7 ( small company mentality). I have observed that pattern since i have been complaining about one plus in different websites.

drfatwallet said:   One plus (any number) is a terrible phone, with a poor customer care. What i have learnt from buying one plus was , you get what you give, Thats very simple. I have used Samsung note 6 before one plus for a year and due to poor Sprint reception, i changed my phone. I have been repenting everyday with One plus for almost a year. Please think twice before going for OP. I am expecting a very good review after my review from someone in this forum. you know why? One plus has full time review writers who work 24/7 ( small company mentality). I have observed that pattern since i have been complaining about one plus in different websites.

There is no Samsung note 6, sir. There is note 5 & the upcoming note 7. I don't put much behind your post if you don't have the right information. I'm just saying...

nguyenkfw said:   
drfatwallet said:   One plus (any number) is a terrible phone, with a poor customer care. What i have learnt from buying one plus was , you get what you give, Thats very simple. I have used Samsung note 6 before one plus for a year and due to poor Sprint reception, i changed my phone. I have been repenting everyday with One plus for almost a year. Please think twice before going for OP. I am expecting a very good review after my review from someone in this forum. you know why? One plus has full time review writers who work 24/7 ( small company mentality). I have observed that pattern since i have been complaining about one plus in different websites.

There is no Samsung note 6, sir. There is note 5 & the upcoming note 7. I don't put much behind your post if you don't have the right information. I'm just saying...

I guess I'll play the part of the reviewer he's talking about.  I've had my Oneplus 3 for almost a week now, and it's been a great phone.  Of course, it's only been a week and that could change, but I would highly recommend it as of right now.  It's a speed demon with great battery life thus far, and the dash charging is pretty amazing.

I don't really understand the hate (on this thread) on the Nexus 6P camera. The only risk I see with this deal is one true of all electronics--the next version could be a significant upgrade.

That said, the camera is truly fantastic. Don't let the lack of OIS deter you; the image sensor is specifically designed with larger pixel sizes which collect more than enough light for low-light photography.

cyfan said:   

It's not just that newer phones might be coming. The important part is that they might be coming soon. How would you feel if a much improved model was released at this price (or say $50 more) just a few weeks after you buy this one? If you don't care, then go ahead and buy this one for yourself. Others might care however, so cut out the smug sarcasm.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017