• filter:
  • Page :
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
Voting History
rated:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Jerry-Can-5-Gal-20L-Green-Steel-Gasoline... 

Features:

1. Have been strictly tested before shipment
2. Top-grade material and fine workmanship ensure its good durability and reliability
3. Lightweight and convenient to carry
4. Can be used to store water, fuel oil, petrol, Diesel or any other liquor
5. Commonly seen in the gas station 

Specifications:

1. Capacity: 20L
2. Color: Army Green
3. Dimensions: (13.78 x 6.50 x 17.91)" / (35 x 6.5 x 45.5)cm (L x W x H)
4. Weight: 6.48 lbs / 2.93kg=16px 

Package Includes:
1 x Fuel Oil Water Petrol Diesel Storage Can
1 x Spout

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
I would recommend these. They are the real deal Jerry cans. I have had them for years and have some friends that bought ... (more)

austinjenna (Jul. 15, 2016 @ 6:06a) |

Your post is unclear. I assume you're actually NOT recommending the ones that are being talked about in the thread, but ... (more)

canoeguy1 (Jul. 15, 2016 @ 9:04a) |

As for the ones in your link, the warning in red at the top says it all: "Federal law prohibits the use of non-CARB appr... (more)

austinjenna (Jul. 15, 2016 @ 10:14a) |

Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

rated:
Seller charges sales tax for items shipped to: CA*(9.0%), NJ*(7.0%).

rated:
Also make sure you slap something red on the can. Its a no-no to put gas in a non-red container! I still do it.

rated:
iLetTheDogsOut said:   Also make sure you slap something red on the can. Its a no-no to put gas in a non-red container! I still do it.

yes, you wouldn't want to confuse it with the other Jerry Can that's filled with liquor (i'm sure they meant liquid, or maybe not)

rated:
MeIsCheap said:   
iLetTheDogsOut said:   Also make sure you slap something red on the can. Its a no-no to put gas in a non-red container! I still do it.

yes, you wouldn't want to confuse it with the other Jerry Can that's filled with liquor (i'm sure they meant liquid, or maybe not)

lol I didnt even see that. That would be quite the party cup

rated:
Just be aware that this is more than likely a cheap Chinese copy.

rated:
woowoo2 said:   Just be aware that this is more than likely a cheap Chinese copy.
  I thought the same thing. It actually gets good reviews.

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/product/index/military-style-jerr...

We`ll see! In for one!

rated:
Where does the spout go when not in use? Does it attach somehow? Mine would be lost in 2 days...lol. Nice looking can tho!

rated:

rated:
NOT Made in USA

rated:
iLetTheDogsOut said:   
woowoo2 said:   Just be aware that this is more than likely a cheap Chinese copy.

We`ll see! In for one!

Like this one?

Quote:
Sportsmans Guide usually has great products but this one obviously slipped thru the cracks. I bought three of these and they all rusted. One blew out at the seam and another bulged and split in the middle of the side were there wasn't a seam, when the other 2 did not. They were a good price for jerry cans but this is one of those cases they you buy cheap and you get cheap product. Very disappointed.

rated:
Probably not advisable to use can for potable water ...

Chinese chemicals in the paint, even steel ... the coke has so  many impurities that remain ...

rated:
Barrel of the quality is also very good, the barrel is thick, fine workmanship, good sealing performance, easy to use

rated:
In truck back make man rugged good product ladys like you happy.

rated:
This is one of those items where saving a few bucks is NOT worth it. Imagine if, after a hot day, it ruptures in your garage? 5 gal worth of fuel vapor, slowly making it's way to the lowest point of your house, swirling around your gas water heater, just looking for that source of ignition...blowing your house up to save $10 is NOT the FW way.

No thanks. There's a reason that cheaper modern cans are mostly plastic. The real metal ones cost around $50 and look very different (much more rounded, to withstand the pressure better). The type sold here hasn't been "commonly seen in gas stations" for upwards of 50 years, at least in developed countries.

If someone wants it for nostalgia, or as a decoration for the wall of their garage, it might be worth it though.

rated:
iLetTheDogsOut said:   

We`ll see! In for one!

Note that the Sportsman's Guide product description specifically does NOT mention 'gas'!!

It says all sorts of things ('jerry can', 'holds liquids' etc) that make it seem like it could be used for gas, but they very carefully do not  mention the word 'gas' at all. Nor do they mention any regulatory approvals. Probably because the can is not actually rated to carry gas by the regulatory agencies (DOT, OSHA, NFPA code 30, FM, UL,  ULC). It's deliberately deceptive advertising.

In fact, the exec who authorized this ad should go to jail prompto.

Just cause it looks like old military equipment, doesn't mean it functions like it, or is built to those standards.

This is the sort of thing that really makes the case for more government regulation of advertising to consumers. The people selling this couldn't care less if someone gets burned or killed. They're deliberately deceiving consumers with carefully worded legalese, and knowingly putting them in danger to make more profit.

rated:
A backup military for under $20? Not bad.

rated:
jd3695 said:   A backup military for under $20? Not bad.
  It's not military anything. It's made to LOOK like military by painting a piece of sheet metal green.
This comment is why companies can get away with selling substandard junk, yet continue to stay in business.

I'm wondering if I should start selling F-35's on eBay. For only $1 million, you'll get some sheet metal that, on the outside, looks just like an F-35. And that shape is all that counts in military equipment, right? But hey, it's a lot cheaper than what Lockheed Martin sells 'em for, so it's gotta be a good deal!
Maybe some sheet metal M1 Abrams will be next, if the F-35's sell well.

rated:
canoeguy1 said:   
  It's not military anything. It's made to LOOK like military by painting a piece of sheet metal green.
This comment is why companies can get away with selling substandard junk, yet continue to stay in business.

I'm wondering if I should start selling F-35's on eBay. For only $1 million, you'll get some sheet metal that, on the outside, looks just like an F-35. And that shape is all that counts in military equipment, right? But hey, it's a lot cheaper than what Lockheed Martin sells 'em for, so it's gotta be a good deal!

I would do the M1 first
More people drive than fly

rated:
canoeguy1 said:   This is one of those items where saving a few bucks is NOT worth it. Imagine if, after a hot day, it ruptures in your garage? 5 gal worth of fuel vapor, slowly making it's way to the lowest point of your house, swirling around your gas water heater, just looking for that source of ignition...blowing your house up to save $10 is NOT the FW way.

No thanks. There's a reason that cheaper modern cans are mostly plastic. The real metal ones cost around $50 and look very different (much more rounded, to withstand the pressure better). The type sold here hasn't been "commonly seen in gas stations" for upwards of 50 years, at least in developed countries.

If someone wants it for nostalgia, or as a decoration for the wall of their garage, it might be worth it though.

Or, it would make a really tacky fugly lamp, for the mancave, when fitted with a LED lamp making kit. 

rated:
canoeguy1 said:   

It was a joke about the item title (same as thread title)

rated:
Is this can pressurized? Do you have to fill it 100%? The talk about bursting with 5 gallons of gas in my garage scares me! Is this a real container or just some fake item looking like a gas can?

rated:
Mikey895 said:   Is this can pressurized? Do you have to fill it 100%? The talk about bursting with 5 gallons of gas in my garage scares me! Is this a real container or just some fake item looking like a gas can?
  How can anyone know? Unless the can has passed US DOT regulatory tests and been certified, you can safely assume it just looks like a gas can. I certainly wouldn't trust it with my life, or my family's lives. I guess in China there's enough people that they don't care if a few of them light up as blazing human torches, but the safety expectations here are a bit higher.

rated:
Bought for friends, friends received said very good

rated:
I would recommend these. They are the real deal Jerry cans. I have had them for years and have some friends that bought them as well. You need to buy the spout separately and you get a better deal if you buy the 4 bundle or whatever they have. I was tired of the carb crappy gas cans that leak all over and take forever to get anything out of them. With this jerry can I can dump the entire can into my truck in 30 seconds with zero leaks. I have 4 for gas for my generator just in case and regularly rotate the gas.   Link    

rated:
austinjenna said:   I would recommend these. They are the real deal Jerry cans. I have had them for years and have some friends that bought them as well. You need to buy the spout separately and you get a better deal if you buy the 4 bundle or whatever they have. I was tired of the carb crappy gas cans that leak all over and take forever to get anything out of them. With this jerry can I can dump the entire can into my truck in 30 seconds with zero leaks. I have 4 for gas for my generator just in case and regularly rotate the gas.   Link  
Your post is unclear. I assume you're actually NOT recommending the ones that are being talked about in the thread, but rather the ones in your link? 

As for the ones in your link, the warning in red at the top says it all: "Federal law prohibits the use of non-CARB approved containers for the storage of fuel". Wonder why they would pass such a law? 

Notice also that the non-approved containers are half the price of the approved ones. Maybe because the non-approved ones aren't built to the standards needed to hold pressure on a hot day without the possibility of rupture? Maybe because the metal is far thinner, and the can would likely rupture if you had them in your truck during an accident?
Betting your life on a non-approved container just because it pours faster doesn't seem like a good tradeoff. I guess if you store them outside, or in a non-valuable shed far away from the house, and never drive with them in your car, it might be OK.

To each his own, though. I just don't like the idea of burning to death, or watch my family burn to death, just to save a few bucks or have the can pour faster.

rated:
Your post is unclear. I assume you're actually NOT recommending the ones that are being talked about in the thread, but rather the ones in your link?

As for the ones in your link, the warning in red at the top says it all: "Federal law prohibits the use of non-CARB approved containers for the storage of fuel". Wonder why they would pass such a law?

Notice also that the non-approved containers are half the price of the approved ones. Maybe because the non-approved ones aren't built to the standards needed to hold pressure on a hot day without the possibility of rupture? Maybe because the metal is far thinner, and the can would likely rupture if you had them in your truck during an accident?
Betting your life on a non-approved container just because it pours faster doesn't seem like a good tradeoff. I guess if you store them outside, or in a non-valuable shed far away from the house, and never drive with them in your car, it might be OK.

To each his own, though. I just don't like the idea of burning to death, or watch my family burn to death, just to save a few bucks or have the can pour faster.

As for the ones in your link, the warning in red at the top says it all: "Federal law prohibits the use of non-CARB approved containers for the storage of fuel". Wonder why they would pass such a law? -> Because its illegal to sell the non-CARB fuel containers, so they will put a sticker on them as well that its for 'potable water' or something to get around it.

Maybe because the non-approved ones aren't built to the standards needed to hold pressure on a hot day without the possibility of rupture? Maybe because the metal is far thinner, and the can would likely rupture if you had them in your truck during an accident? -> I have these stored in a garage where the outside temps are in the 90's outside. So no worries by me. The metal is not thin on them. Secondly I have even dropped it, no ruptures either. My friends also have them stored in their garage. I have one or 2 of the red plastic ones as well that on some days will blow up like a basketball and the jerry cans are just fine.

If you look at the site these are for putting on a Land Rover etc..
I personally dont care which ones you buy just offering up my experience with the ones that I have purchased since other posters seemed a little leery on the ones OP posted. I have no affiliation with any of those companies.

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2016