• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Cyan - $29. Dirt cheap for a smartphone. Even if you hate it, you can still use it as a navigator.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/cricket-wireless-microsoft-lumia-640...

Member Summary

microsoft lumia
Thanks Kcarlsen21
Disclaimer
Most Recent Posts
Has anyone been able to update to windows 10 without activating the phone?  Also how long will Here Drive be available, ... (more)

getzdeal (Sep. 02, 2016 @ 1:47p) |

T-Mobile.

also, I got windows 10 installed.  I went to the updater and tried and it worked.  It seems to have nerfed the ... (more)

rendition (Sep. 05, 2016 @ 11:57p) |

Biggest complaint I saw was nuked wifi calling, & that was why Tmo had not approved win 10...
So, kudos to you. 
I "think"... (more)

acquavallo (Sep. 06, 2016 @ 9:23a) |

Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Can this be unlocked? Or do you need to activate it on the. CRicket network first.

best bang for your buck at home media device.  i use mine almost every night to watch netflix in bed! 5" screen!

Difficult to unlock. Cricket unlocks after 6 months service. That's my experience with an LG phone.
I would get one if an ATT phone goes for that price.

music4u4 said:   Can this be unlocked? Or do you need to activate it on the. CRicket network first.
  Definitely would like to know the answer to this.

Can the phone be used without activating?

QuickWrench said:   
music4u4 said:   Can this be unlocked? Or do you need to activate it on the. CRicket network first.
  Definitely would like to know the answer to this.

Based on my experience with Cricket, the phone has to be used on their network first in order for them to unlock it. All you need is one call. I don't know whether it can be unlocked by third parties.

eswarjj said:   Can the phone be used without activating?
  Yes.

What are the steps to do that?

Remember, (hasn't been stated yet), ATT sim cards are plug-n-play in cricket prepaids and vice-versa.

STL said:   You can get the phone for $20 cheaper -- so just $9.99 -- directly from Cricket if you port your number to them (and you can still use the link above to get $25 service credit on top of that).
  So we can get like a GV # and port it to them?

Edit:  I guess not... says can't transfer mobile #'s.  Would need to do like a tmobile transfer trick or something, but that would be more $

russ0519 said:   
STL said:   You can get the phone for $20 cheaper -- so just $9.99 -- directly from Cricket if you port your number to them (and you can still use the link above to get $25 service credit on top of that).
  So we can get like a GV # and port it to them?

Edit:  I guess not... says can't transfer mobile #'s.  Would need to do like a tmobile transfer trick or something, but that would be more $

Was able to use my ring+ number.  These are the totals:
cricket said: Order Details
Edit Cart
Microsoft Lumia 640$29.99
Number Transfer Discount-$20.00
Basic
(monthly)
$40.00
Two-Day ShippingFree
Total Due Today$49.99

So if I cancel the service right after I get the phone, would I get the at least some % of the $40 back?

russ0519 said:   So if I cancel the service right after I get the phone, would I get the at least some % of the $40 back?

I don't believe so -- but honestly I really don't know for sure. 

eswarjj said:   Can the phone be used without activating?
  Not this specific model, but I've unlocked other cricket phones using the AT&T non mobilty customer portal and requesting an unlock code. 

Buy, don't open, request the unlock. If they don't give it to you try it again. If that fails, return the phone unopened. 

My understanding of GSM "locking" is "lacking".

Anyone know if this can be used as-is with Tracfone variants (Straight Talk, Net10, etc.), or would an unlock be required?

Thanks,

I got this phone today. This is a pretty useful thread. So all I have to do is get a $25 prepaid card and use it and then wait 6 months to unlock.

rendition said:   I got this phone today. This is a pretty useful thread. So all I have to do is get a $25 prepaid card and use it and then wait 6 months to unlock.
NO, try what stubtify says (two posts above yours)... go to ATT, there's a link to get it unlocked for free.  do a search in the hotdeals.

if not, then buy your prepaid card.

I bought sometime back Lumia on AT&T which was easy to unlock by requesting from AT&T unlock website as a non AT&T member. I don't know about cricket.

I bought this phone and returned it shortly after. Worst mobile OS *ever* - good lord. Too bad, because the hardware isn't half bad, especially with the crazy low price.

This wouldn't give you a free Office 365?

As a simple phone and music player (local not streaming) I like the OS a lot. It is a very good PHONE and not as nice as an "App" device. I still use one without a sim as a player with bluetooth headsets.

really?

Guys - Is anyone able to unlock this cricket wireless Lumia using AT&T unlock system?

ghoshdd said:   Guys - Is anyone able to unlock this cricket wireless Lumia using AT&T unlock system?
  I wasn't able to.   

psxzombie said:   
rendition said:   I got this phone today. This is a pretty useful thread. So all I have to do is get a $25 prepaid card and use it and then wait 6 months to unlock.
NO, try what stubtify says (two posts above yours)... go to ATT, there's a link to get it unlocked for free.  do a search in the hotdeals.

No luck unlocking. How do you do $25? Paygo no longer offered. 
Thanks. 

What's this good for other than being used as a phone?

PM to Target for $10 less.

Nobody seems to be able to unlock this phone. I'm getting refunded for an unlock try.

Also I tried installing windows 10 preview and it failed so I'm still on 8.1

psxzombie said:   

whoops the prepaid card I found is for accessories and add on services.  they don't offer prepaid calling.

rendition said:   Nobody seems to be able to unlock this phone. I'm getting refunded for an unlock try.

Which carrier do you want to use?   

rendition said:   
psxzombie said:   

whoops the prepaid card I found is for accessories and add on services.  they don't offer prepaid calling.

I was wondering what secret or grandfathered method you had, Cricket  paygo is kaput, only AT&T 's is still running. 

Has anyone been able to update to windows 10 without activating the phone?  Also how long will Here Drive be available, since Microsoft maps doesn't have voice directions without a data plan.  On my pay as you go ATT phone, Here Drive quit working, but haven't been able to get voice navigation from any gps apps.

acquavallo said:   
rendition said:   Nobody seems to be able to unlock this phone. I'm getting refunded for an unlock try.

T-Mobile.

also, I got windows 10 installed.  I went to the updater and tried and it worked.  It seems to have nerfed the music player though so I was forced to download an app.  This sure is a low end phone indeed.

rendition said:   
acquavallo said:   

T-Mobile

also, I got windows 10 installed.  I went to the updater and tried and it worked.  It seems to have nerfed the music player though so I was forced to download an app.  This sure is a low end phone indeed.

Biggest complaint I saw was nuked wifi calling, & that was why Tmo had not approved win 10...
So, kudos to you. 
I "think" xda fixed... 
I also see comments it worked better on win 8.
When I have time I'll unlock, try win 10, & Tmo. 
Good luck.   

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017