• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:

Goliath Industry Wireless OBD2 Car Code Reader Scan Tool - Connects Via WiFi With Any IOS, Android Windows Device - Features A 3000 Code Database - Suitable For Most Cars Trucks In The USA
Disclaimer
Goliath Industry Wireless OBD2 Car Code Reader Scan Tool - Connects Via WiFi With Any IOS, Android & Windows Device - Features A 3000 Code Database - Suitable For Most Cars & Trucks In The USA

https://www.amazon.com/Goliath-Industry-Wireless-OBD2-Reader/dp/...

Use Coupon Code: WIFIOBD5 to bring price down to $13.99

• Goliath Industry has created a top quality auto diagnostic scanner.
  • It can read generic and manufacturer-specific trouble codes and its database includes over 3000 code definitions.
  • This amazing car code reader can connect to any device including iOS, android and Windows.
  • You just need a Wi-Fi connection and you can diagnose any car problem.

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
Did the issue stop when it was unplugged?

giqcass (Jul. 24, 2016 @ 1:08p) |

Yes it did.  And it immediately occurred when I plugged it back in.  I did it 3 times to be certain.  I'm not sure why i... (more)

LordB (Jul. 24, 2016 @ 9:23p) |

Then again most people would not buy this due to a detached scientific curiosity. They buy it because the check engine l... (more)

FierceMice (Jul. 24, 2016 @ 9:52p) |

Staff Summary
  • Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

I've tried the Bluetooth ones and honestly they suck. Is the wifi version any better?

I'll give it a try after I make sure my 95 Tercel really has a port. Good reviews as long as you don't use the app that it comes with and it's $1 less than the all time CCC low.

1995 was probably ODBI, most companies didn't go OBDII till 1996.

Someone educate me on this. In order to use it I have to be parked in my driveway using my WIFI?

Yianni65 said:   Someone educate me on this. In order to use it I have to be parked in my driveway using my WIFI?
  CONNECTS TO ANY IOS, ANDROID AND WINDOWS DEVICE VIA WI-FI: This amazing car code reader can connect to any device including iOS, android and Windows. You just need a Wi-Fi connection and you can diagnose any car problem.

same brand or different one? all of them are the same? doing the same thing? 
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Car-Diagnostic-Scan-Tool-C2-ELM327-OBD2-...

how reliable are the ones from eBay ?

brehas said:   1995 was probably ODBI, most companies didn't go OBDII till 1996.

That was my understanding too, but I did find at 16 pin ODBII style connection to the left of the wheel in a fuse panel so maybe Toyota was ahead of the game!

if it has a true ELM327 it is worth it. Some chinese clones use a generic chip that does not work with all software. I bought a few ELM327 readers from eBay and they were all clones. I need a real elm327 chip to flash my cars computer. Will end up paying $50 to buy one already modified.

VegasVegan said:   
Yianni65 said:   Someone educate me on this. In order to use it I have to be parked in my driveway using my WIFI?
  CONNECTS TO ANY IOS, ANDROID AND WINDOWS DEVICE VIA WI-FI: This amazing car code reader can connect to any device including iOS, android and Windows. You just need a Wi-Fi connection and you can diagnose any car problem.

You don't need a wifi connection in order to use this. You connect to the device via wifi like you do with bluetooth, the unit just acts like a wireless router....

forbin4040 said:   I've tried the Bluetooth ones and honestly they suck. Is the wifi version any better?

I bought ELM327 bluetooth from eBay and it never worked with Torque app ... really disappointed. it connects to phone but app is never able to connect to it.

I get great readings ~7/second from this:

BAFX Products BAFX3127 Bluetooth OBD2 Diagnostic Scan Tool for Android Only I paid $17 a few months ago, currently $24 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA59N1MT9229
$22 on Amazon w/Prime: https://www.amazon.com/BAFX-Products-34t5-Bluetooth-Android/dp/B...

On my 2005 Subaru. Much much faster (more than double, can't remember) on wife's 2013 Prius. Works with Torque and Torque repeater on Android.

There are are warnings about the ELM327 Adapters on the Torque Website: https://torque-bhp.com/wiki/Bluetooth_Adapters

I think this product is very cheaper than other and very useful.

Better get a BAFX product, rather than this unsafe (containing virus.etc). Will give it a pass.

Apr11smile said:   Better get a BAFX product, rather than this unsafe (containing virus.etc). Will give it a pass.
  I have yet to hear of viruses spreading through automobiles "in the wild". That is probably not a rational fear YET.

IMHO the software is the most important part for normal use.  These things are essentially wireless serial ports(oversimplified explanation).  The device you connect it to does the heavy lifting.  Most people will do just fine with the standard Bluetooth type.  They are low powered and you can pretty much just leave them connected all the time if you like. I have used mine from the passenger seat while someone else is driving.  

Anyone that "needs" the bandwidth WiFi supports has to be doing something outside the scope of the average user. 

anpainte said:   I think this product is very cheaper than other and very useful.

I think product made with glory for best values.

Does anyone have any experience with leaving this plugged in permanently? If that is the use case, would the associated extension cable be worthwhile? What about power drain?

ccole said:   Does anyone have any experience with leaving this plugged in permanently? If that is the use case, would the associated extension cable be worthwhile? What about power drain?
People do that with the Bluetooth version but I don't know what the power draw is like on this one.

ccole said:   Does anyone have any experience with leaving this plugged in permanently? If that is the use case, would the associated extension cable be worthwhile? What about power drain?
  OBDII port is hot all the time.  Most will drain the battery in 2-3 days.  OR you can do a little cutting and get an extension cable and put in a switch in the vbatt line so you can turn it on and off manually.  Or hook a relay up so that the vbatt is only charged when the key is on.

I have this plugged into my gti and run it via blue tooth have ran for over 2 years it's fine

CobolGod said:   
  OBDII port is hot all the time.  Most will drain the battery in 2-3 days.  OR you can do a little cutting and get an extension cable and put in a switch in the vbatt line so you can turn it on and off manually.  Or hook a relay up so that the vbatt is only charged when the key is on.

You are exactly right on that.  Power is always on.  I never thought about bypassing it in any way.  I did have some reservations about leaving mine always on but as long as the car is driven a couple times a week battery drain does not appear to be an issue with my BT device.  That could depend a lot on both the device and the cars battery.  My van has a decent size battery.  A smaller car with a smaller battery could be a big factor. 

All that said I can't imagine these have a huge battery drain.  I may attempt to get some actual data and do some actual testing on the model I have.

So far as I can tell this model will draw less then 0.09 amps even after I assumed power draw was twice nominal.  That number would increase for periods of active use but are you monitoring your car 24-7 even when it's off?

nepezde said:   On eBay for $4.40 anytime, no "coupon" needed. http://www.ebay.com/itm/ELM327-OBDII-OBD2-Wireless-Bluetooth-Aut...
  really cheap on eBay.

The viruses that have been mentioned are on the software that comes on the CD that installs on a computer/laptop. If you are using another app or software on your phone this isn't any concern, just don't install the CD software on a computer.

This WIFI version is mostly for iOS devices, it needs to be WIFI because Apple doesn't give developers access to BT yet. Android devices can use BT or WIFI.

Your phone or laptop connects to a "WIFI Network" that the dongle puts out and that is how it communicates. That's it.

I got this for less than $7 on Amazon. I think it was under "warehouse deals" and I was able to dump some of those no-rush digital credits = free.

The dongle in that picture has worked well for me on multiple vehicles and clearing trouble codes. It has worked great on iOS for me using a couple different apps. Different apps show different parameters and real-time data. As long as you have that ELM chip and the dongle works, whatever parameters you can view are up to the app that you are using and whatever they chose to include. That's why I use multiple apps.

Be careful buying bluetooth adapters particularly cheap ones.

I bought one for my prius and plugging it in caused the car to go into "safe" mode where ABS was disabled, the hybrid part wouldn't work and various other things that made the car run like junk.

As far as I can tell it was drawing too much power from the port which evidently was causing other things to go offline and stop working. It also took just long enough to start doing this that I didn't connect it with using the reader.

From my reading online it appears this is usually only a problem with the cheaper wireless or bluetooth odb readers.

YMMV, but after my experience this is something I would pay the extra money for to get the top of the line one if I really wanted it. Losing my life from ABS suddenly stopping working is not worth it.

LordB said:   Be careful buying bluetooth adapters particularly cheap ones.

I bought one for my prius and plugging it in caused the car to go into "safe" mode where ABS was disabled, the hybrid part wouldn't work and various other things that made the car run like junk.

As far as I can tell it was drawing too much power from the port which evidently was causing other things to go offline and stop working. It also took just long enough to start doing this that I didn't connect it with using the reader.

From my reading online it appears this is usually only a problem with the cheaper wireless or bluetooth odb readers.

YMMV, but after my experience this is something I would pay the extra money for to get the top of the line one if I really wanted it. Losing my life from ABS suddenly stopping working is not worth it.

Did the issue stop when it was unplugged?

Yes it did.  And it immediately occurred when I plugged it back in.  I did it 3 times to be certain.  I'm not sure why it didn't do it when I first plugged it in.  But whatever it was it was definitely caused by the ODB reader being plugged in.  Thankfully it first happened on a side road.  The car seriously changed handling in an instant as it went into the limp mode.

I'm suspicious what triggered it was plugging my phone into the car charger.  It is possible the car charger was overdrawing as well which is why I'm not 100% certain the ODB reader was to blame.  Still I have never had the problem with the car charger even when charging 3 phones and a single phone plugged into the phone charger seemed to cause the problem when the ODB was in so I am inclined to blame the ODB as if 3 phones can charge from that same port one little thing doing bluetooth and 1 phone charging shouldn't be drawing more power than 3 phones.  I did enough testing to be certain having the ODB plugged in was causing the limp mode. I had no interest in risking damaging my car to try to figure out if there were any combos like not using the car charger that would not cause the problem.

My guess is it was drawing too much power when combined with the phone charger even though the power draw should be miniscule.  Those other systems must be running off the same power.  My guess is that the car charger is regulated to not pull too much, but given ODB isn't really supposed to be pulling power it wasn't regulated and when both tried to draw power something was tripped causing the car to go into limp mode.

Based on my experience (seriously check engine light went on, car went into limp mode.  ABS/antilock breaks turned off.  Car went engine only no battery.  I'm pretty sure traction control shut off too.  Basically a whole lot of things went wrong with the car.  It is a 2013 prius.  Now I will say I do not believe it should be possible for that to happen by plugging anything into the odb port, but given that it did happen I will not use any cheap odb reader in the car.  Honestly I have been reluctant to buy the more expensive ones though googling suggests that the problem I experienced is rare and limited to the cheaper ones.

Still seriously... the car switching modes like that if it went wrong when you were relying on it I could see it causing a problem.  I am perfectly capable of driving a car without all those things (my last car didn't have most of that stuff), but having it one second then not having it the next is very disorienting.  I kept slamming on the breaks until I figured out the breaking had changed.  I'm not quite sure how to describe it, but it was like the braking curve changed drastically I presume to a mode better suited to driving without antilock breaks.

I might be exaggerating a bit, but please believe me it was not a pleasant experience and if it had happened at the wrong time like me slamming the breaks to avoid an accident I could see it actually causing me to get into an accident.  Basically it moved ODB readers at least for me from the neat to have category to the not worth the risk category.  Aside from my own curiosity it doesn't serve any additional purpose that I can't fulfill with a wired ODB reader.

Someone decided to give me red which is kind of annoying.  I would say that what I just said could save someone from a trip to the repair shop.  The odds of it causing an accident are probably very low, but not nonexistent.

Then again most people would not buy this due to a detached scientific curiosity. They buy it because the check engine light is on (or had been on). Not saying this product is great, but I doubt it is the sole cause of a car going into limp home mode.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017