posted 47 years ago by
mbrenner

Maybe the best plan yet offered.

Free Plan$0/month: 4,000 Talk 4,000 Text and 4,000 MB of Full-Speed LTE Data.
MMS allotment will be based on the total signups for this plan.
Tethering available for 30˘ a day ($9 a month), renews daily, and can be canceled and re-activated as you need it. **Attention: for each activation of tethering, a flat activation fee of $4 is charged. 

Regular Auto Top Up: $40 is required to cover overages.
If, and only if, the Top-Up balance reaches $0, another $40.00 auto Top Up will be automatically charged to your credit card on file (plus applicable telecom fees and taxes).
If you join Member+ during the sign up process, the Auto Top Up will be only $20.

Overages are 7˘ per unit of Talk, Text, MMS, and Full-Speed LTE Data.

FLASH Promo! Opening Sunday, July 24, 2016 @ 3PM-5PM Pacific.Open to all for New Activations at https://ringplus.net PLUS!Upgrades Times: Sunday, July 24, 2016 from 8PM-10PM Pacific in the RingPlus Classifieds.RingPlus Classifieds are located in this forum at https://social.ringplus.net/classifieds/items/all .Truly Committed 

Views
127 Comments
Add Comment
The overage fees are 7 cents a unit on this, but the allocations are high enough that most people will not have an issue.    Ring Plus is a Sprint MVNO.   It works where Sprint has native coverage (similar to Ting, Boost and Virgin Mobile).    The Free Plans have an initial fee, but after that if you stay within the allocations you will not incur any additional charges.     

When you call out the calls are routed through a ring plus server that plays news or adds rather than the ring, ring sound.   When the caller answers the adds stop immediately.   IMHO the service works well and is certainly an excellent value.   Others may feel differently.    

You can use phones that are compatible with the Sprint CDMA EVDO/LTE network.  This includes clear ESN Sprint Phones, many Unlocked iPhones, Nexus 5 through 6P and some others.    Worth considering is the new Motorola G4 series of unlocked phones.    Available on Amazon and others.

Prepaid phones from Sprint, Boost, or Virgin Mobile (as of April 16th 2016) need to be clear of Financial Eligibility Check (FED).   This means that they have to have been active on their originating service for 12 months in good standing to be eligible for activation on any Sprint MVNO.   .       

I do not work for Ring Plus or any affiliate.   I do use the service.

Upgrades

People who signed up yesterday for “The Commitment Plan” can switch to this plan for a one-time Upgrade Fee of $5. Which will be added to your top up.

What about the people who could not get the Upgrade yesterday?
Details about the upgrade path are missing (as usual).

Redbeard25 said:   Upgrades

People who signed up yesterday for “The Commitment Plan” can switch to this plan for a one-time Upgrade Fee of $5. Which will be added to your top up.

I would rather get yesterday deal, too bad the site did not work very well during the upgrade times.

Looks like a great plan, I would grab it if we didn't have a real good one already.

just use the word free and people will pay anything. I think karl said that. the art of the deal and he will have deals to the end.

Can someone list the steps for the upgrade? There was quite a bit of chaos yesterday and couldn't get the upgrade. Just hit the upgrade button on the dashboard and then select the plan you want to upgrade to? Yesterday, the cost was $9 for the upgrade. So if you already had the balance, they would just take it from that or would they charge $9 on the credit card? Any tax on the upgrade fee?

This info would help many fellow FWers. Thank you.

Do you have to buy the upgrade coupon/token at the classified URL https://social.ringplus.net/classifieds/items/all and then apply it to your account?

FatWKing said:   Can someone list the steps for the upgrade? There was quite a bit of chaos yesterday and couldn't get the upgrade. Just hit the upgrade button on the dashboard and then select the plan you want to upgrade to? Yesterday, the cost was $9 for the upgrade. So if you already had the balance, they would just take it from that or would they charge $9 on the credit card? Any tax on the upgrade fee?

No you'll have to buy the upgrade from classified.

1. Log into your R+ account.
2. Click on top right icon of Classified.
3. On that page look for the upgrade option & click & follow the steps to buy it 
4. Read the instructions from your purchase.

Of course it all depends if everything goes according to plan i.e. no server crash but it helps to keep reading the plan thread here and at Ringplus including their twitter page to stay informed for any last minute changes.

Seems that upgrades are only available for those that signed up to Commitment yesterday.

Now you get charged $5 which gets added to top-up. But will it trigger a $40 top-up as well?

BTW, I had no issues with two new lines after 11pm. It seems that the first hour it was a mad house, then the dust settled and it worked fine. Also, did them directly from the main page instead than from the social page.

People who paid $35 yesterday for “The Commitment Plan” can switch to this plan for a one-time Upgrade Fee of $5 (towards top off) .

Second Upgrade for others to be determined after promo ends.

Not sure how new this language is:
Social.website said: Other RingPlus Community Requirements: Like all RingPlus plans (except data only plans) you will have to use your phone as a real cell phone and not as a data-only device, navigation system, radio, hotspot, etc. Basically, we rely on the honesty of Members to be able to offer such plans. Gaming the system hurts all members. RingPlus reserves the right terminate, deactivate, throttle, or take any other measurements [sic] regarding any account which games the system or otherwise harms the RingPlus community.

Am I "gaming the system", because I only make a couple minimum calls every month, and mostly use the phone for browsing,maps and GV?  I honestly tried to use it for voice by registering my RP number with GV, but outgoing and incoming calls had such atrocious latency, I had to switch my calls to Hangouts-only.  I've been wondering if they're ever going to increase the "minimum" calls from 1 per 60 days, to 1%/5%/10% of your plan limits -- e.g. force the Truly Committed to use 40 to 400 min/month.  I don't know how they expect anyone to legitimately use the unusable voice service as a real phone.  I wish they would just  play a full-length ad, give you time to respond, and then switch the call back to Sprint's regular [more-usable] network, rather than cut off the ad when the other person answers the call on the 2nd ring, and then leave us playing Lag Wars.

Then there's the "other" type of system-gaming, where people make calls and Press Five to help out the cause.  I wonder how RP feels about that, and would they reserve the right to terminate those users?

all that gaming talk is just that, filling in for those that missed the part about rules. They don't want to police people at every turn. Folks should take responsibility and do their part to see Ringplus succeed for all. They have bent over backwards to trying to please everyone.  The more they sell the more we get, nothing has changed in that regards. So far so good, getting in early had it's rewards but you can't complain about these generous allotments. 

knickdigger said:   Not sure how new this language is:
Social.website said: Other RingPlus Community Requirements: Like all RingPlus plans (except data only plans) you will have to use your phone as a real cell phone and not as a data-only device, navigation system, radio, hotspot, etc. Basically, we rely on the honesty of Members to be able to offer such plans. Gaming the system hurts all members. RingPlus reserves the right terminate, deactivate, throttle, or take any other measurements [sic] regarding any account which games the system or otherwise harms the RingPlus community.

Am I "gaming the system", because I only make a couple minimum calls every month, and mostly use the phone for browsing,maps and GV?  I honestly tried to use it for voice by registering my RP number with GV, but outgoing and incoming calls had such atrocious latency, I had to switch my calls to Hangouts-only.  I've been wondering if they're ever going to increase the "minimum" calls from 1 per 60 days, to 1%/5%/10% of your plan limits -- e.g. force the Truly Committed to use 40 to 400 min/month.  I don't know how they expect anyone to legitimately use the unusable voice service as a real phone.  I wish they would just  play a full-length ad, give you time to respond, and then switch the call back to Sprint 's regular [more-usable] network, rather than cut off the ad when the other person answers the call on the 2nd ring, and then leave us playing Lag Wars.

Then there's the "other" type of system-gaming, where people make calls and Press Five to help out the cause.  I wonder how RP feels about that, and would they reserve the right to terminate those users?

Interesting.   I have read many a complaint about unacceptable latency from quite a few people.   I have been lucky enough to not have had a bad experience with this (or maybe I'm just too slow mentally to notice the lag).   A few months ago I had some issues with calls not going through but latency has not been a deal breaker for me.   

I do think that it is worthwhile for for people to continually send in trouble tickets or service reports when things don't perform up to par rather than avoid usign the voice service.   Long term users and the company will be better off if the product is usable quality wise and sustainable from a business perspective. 

things are different now with two levels of service over Sprint Network or Ringplus ad supported. I'm still behind Karl's original vision for free service for all but it has a long ways to go. It's still there for those that can tolerate some latency, mostly dependent on location. I have some family next to tower with crystal clear voice and negligible latency on a ZTE Speed no less.

Best to do your tweet beforehand as requested, just to be safe. I just did my first tweet and MMS ever today. Making progress. 

Dennis updated PPN. NameTruly Committed Free PlanWhen: From 3 - 5 PM Sunday July 24 for new activations and 8 - 10 PM Sunday July 24 for plan changes http://www.prepaidphonenews.com/2015/10/ringplus-promotions-trac...

sounds like desperation is setting in....these are complicated plans by design to fool the consumer...and you really have to pay an upgrade fee (member plus) to get anything decent,,and the deposit (nonrefundable ) keeps going up, and taxes....think it thru before committing.

I have been on the Leo3 plan for a while (gives me more than I need, plus one of the few with free tethering) and have been very very very happy. There is a bit of latency, possibly from R+ and possibly from Google Voice, but it is not deal-breaking for me. The Sprint network gives me pretty good coverage, honestly when checking friends' phones it seems pretty equal to other carriers (when I'm in a dead spot with 1 bar, I check their phones and they usually have 1 bar too).

If I can keep getting free cell service forever by new people signing up and paying top-ups, I'm thrilled. If I end up having to pay some reasonable monthly price for cell service, that's OK too, I kinda can't believe I've had 9+ months of 100% free cell service.

P.S.: Does anyone know if my phone was bought through Boost but never used on Boost (before the new FED rules), can I switch it off R+ to Sprint or another carrier?

marcopolomle said:   
FatWKing said:   Can someone list the steps for the upgrade? There was quite a bit of chaos yesterday and couldn't get the upgrade. Just hit the upgrade button on the dashboard and then select the plan you want to upgrade to? Yesterday, the cost was $9 for the upgrade. So if you already had the balance, they would just take it from that or would they charge $9 on the credit card? Any tax on the upgrade fee?

No you'll have to buy the upgrade from classified.

1. Log into your R+ account.
2. Click on top right icon of Classified.
3. On that page look for the upgrade option & click & follow the steps to buy it 
4. Read the instructions from your purchase.

Of course it all depends if everything goes according to plan i.e. no server crash but it helps to keep reading the plan thread here and at Ringplus including their twitter page to stay informed for any last minute changes.

Can you post the exact URL? I tried https://my.ringplus.net/accounts/xxxxxx and https://my.ringplus.net/users/xxxxx but don't see classified icon.

Are you referring to this page? https://social.ringplus.net/classifieds/items/all

Can someone post info on the cost part of the upgrade? Do they take it from the available balance or a separate charge for the upgrade?

mbrenner said:   I do not work for Ring Plus or any affiliate.   I do use the service.
  Thanks, and you did a great job of explaining, especially for the new/non R+ user. I'm mostly happy with R+, have several kids who wouldn't have a phone without their service.

That said, I've pretty much stopped reading the ever present new plans. I did spend way too long reading one last night, wading through 10 pages of user confusion and questions, and this was before the plan was even open. Now that forum has almost doubled, up to 19 pages of mostly questions, confusion and gripes. Every time I read a new plan, I envision Karlbert (my nickname of Karl as a cross between Catbert and Dogbert, with no disrespect) sitting behind his computer rubbing his hands at the latest social experiment just created.

Sometime I would like to port my Nexus 6 from TMO over to R+ but it and the service are literally my lifeline. I still remember the Colorado router problem which caused havoc for days and it wasn't the problem with R+, but the internet. I assume these newer "Sprint" plans would eliminate this and the horrible lag (the kid calls, and now I answer and wait 3 seconds before speaking so we're not saying hello over each other). I still support R+ but rarely mention it to friends unless they're really computer competent and very patient or I'll get sucked into a lifetime of tech support for them.

tgersinthewhhouse said:   sounds like desperation is setting in....these are complicated plans by design to fool the consumer...and you really have to pay an upgrade fee (member plus) to get anything decent,,and the deposit (nonrefundable ) keeps going up, and taxes....think it thru before committing.
  I don't think that there is deliberate subterfuge going on.   RingPlus is really trying to do something different.   It's new territory and they likely need to do a lot of tinkering to make the service work technically and financially.   They also are not spending money advertising.   So creating buzz to gain visibility is critical.   

The plans over time generally get better and better.   The allocations now are high enough that they exceede the needs of most consumers.  I think the costs are fairly well explained up front too.   It's pretty clear that for example that in this plan for example, if you use 5GB and don't buy an extra Gig you are going to pay $70 that month.   It's $0.07 per MB.   But it's also easy to track your usage, buy extra data, or stay within 4GB in a month.   Same with voice minutes.   

As as for upgrade fees, top ups etc.   This one starts at $40 and taxes.  So maybe it's $48 to start a line.    You are going to pay something near that the first month with just about any carrier for a similar plan.  But the difference here is that with Ring Plus the next month you are very likely to pay nothing!   And the month after that...  Nothing.    I have had a line for 5 months that I use which has cost nothing except for the initial amount.    Upgrades are perhaps more complicated, but this perhaps does generate some interest on this forum and others.    Even that isn't too bad.  Usually you have to buy a voucher in the classifieds and a few days later redeem it.    I have not had a issue and I'm not member plus.   

Member plus which you can buy for a single line (not entire account) was (maybe still is) available now for $120.   It's a good value if you subscribe to one of the plans that work like regular Boost or Sprint Pre paid plans.  

I put a line in at $35 on Friday ($41 after taxes - never had to pay taxes with PagePlus). Not sure I'd move the other one. At first cellular data wasn't active. Took a bit of back and forth of trial and error disabling data, reset network settings, etc, and eventually it started working. But even sitting under a tower and getting 5 bars, LTE would not kick in.

I was able to finally get LTE later on and it worked. Speedtest showed 10mb down, 6mb up, (My verizon phone showed 15mb down, 4mb up). But then back to 3G only.

Hope I didn't throw out $40... And now that another $40 plan comes out, I wonder if this is not a big pyramid scheme.

It is really annoying to read people comparing R+ with monthly PAID services.

If you want all those bells and whistles and need hand holding to activate a plan then by all means go ahead as no one is going to stop you.

It is no secret that R+ is mostly a DIY service ( with step by step instructions and you tube videos) which sometimes requires some effort. But you are NOT paying monthly fee for it.

Even if someone paid the initial deposit of $40 and used the service for a month or two then you are even.

I started with a $5 initial deposit over 2 yrs ago and after various free upgrades to reach 3250 (M/T/D) I finally paid another $9 for the 3500 (M/T/D)+1200 MMS on Friday.

Ringplus is just too good to be true. Hope it can live long.

f2000sa said:   Ringplus is just too good to be true. Hope it can live long.
  and prosper

I really never thought I would see these large promos come back. They must be doing something right or Sprint would not have given the green light.

but how can a lifetime membership auto renew...so a lifetime is 8 months in their eyes...,,,confused yet AGAIN.according to their info,,,one lifetime membership renews every 8 months and the other lifetime membership does not renew....both are conflicting statements....buy arent we used to that double talk,,

Choose between one of the following Add Ons:
Lifetime Member+ (8 Monthly Payments) $19.99 every 30 days Auto Renews
Annual Member+ $99.99 every 1 year Auto Renews
Lifetime Member+ $120.00 Does Not Auto Renew

If you pay your Lifetime membership upfront, it doesn't auto-renew.
If you use the installments plan, your $20 payment auto-renews 8 times.
Not hard to figure out.

I have some questions. I hope someone can help.
I have a new MOTO G4 Plus. I purchased a new Sprint sim card.
Went to the R+ site and setup the phone and sim card. Now, after all is done and I was billed already, the site tell me that I just need to transfer my number. (????)
I did not have a number and thought I would be getting a new one from R+. 

On my email from R+, it reads..
Plan: Michelson
Number: 779-875-XXXX (I omitted the last numbers)
MSID: 815483XXXX  (I omitted the last numbers)

I placed the sim in the phone and nothing worked. I updated the APN and still nothing. Does anyone know what may have gone wrong??     

Jes1 said:   I have some questions. I hope someone can help.
Went to the R+ site and setup the phone and sim card. Now, after all is done and I was billed already, the site tell me that I just need to transfer my number. (????)

I placed the sim in the phone and nothing worked. I updated the APN and still nothing. Does anyone know what may have gone wrong??     

I don't know why it's saying to transfer your number.   
Just throwing some things out there .... Did you add the ICCID when you signed up?  
When you say nothing works, both data and voice are not working?   What does it say under "About" as far as your phone number?  

I setup a G4 and it just worked.  (However, I have spent many a hours/days trying o get RingPlus working with various beta builds of CM on the ol' cheap LG Volts. )

joemi said:   

Just throwing some things out there .... Did you add the ICCID when you signed up?  
When you say nothing works, both data and voice are not working?   What does it say under "About" as far as your phone number?  

I setup a G4 and it just worked.  (However, I have spent many a hours/days trying o get RingPlus working with various beta builds of CM on the ol' cheap LG Volts. )

I did add the ICCID from the sim card. 
Both data or voice are not working. 
What struck me as odd was when I went to about, the phone had a different number from the one I received on the Ring+ email.

Jes1 said:   
joemi said:   

I did add the ICCID from the sim card. 
Both data or voice are not working. 
What struck me as odd was when I went to about, the phone had a different number from the one I received on the Ring+ email.

Hmmm, you've already done a PRL update... maybe try manually provisioning or a factory reset?
 MANUALLY PROVISIONING YOUR PRL

• Fire up the dialer application
  • Dial [code]##MSL#[/code] (Your MSL can be found in the Accounts page of your RingPlus Dashboard)
  • Choose "Edit"
  • Click on "MDN" or "Phone Number"
  • Enter your 10-digit phone number (without any hyphens or punctuation)
  • Click "Done"
  • If necessary, click on "MSID"
  • Enter the 10-digit MSID that is found in the Accounts page of your RingPlus Dashboard. Note: Please remove all of the zero's!
  • Click "Done" or continue to click "Done" until your phone reboots.

on the moto g4 I just activated off box with MEI and the ICC ID off the SIMGLW446C. Then turned on for hands free activation, no provision needed. Just like most phones, shortest route between A and B.
Any deviation might be a problem. Sometimes a factory reset will get you back to square one. 

half hour to go but I'm more interested in the upgrade as Non Member +. Time to BBQ. 

Jonemi,
My R+ dashboard does not show a MSL number. All I see is..Ring Plus accountTransfer number                                          Transfer and activate number. 

Monketbiz,
I reset my phone and after done, I installed the sim card. It began configuring the new service.
Afterwards, I tried making a call. It dialed and them I got a error "I'm so sorry. Your phone number is not recognized"

I filled out a support ticket. All I can do is wait. Its rough not having a live support rep.

Monkeybiz said:   on the moto g4 I just activated off box with MEI and the ICC ID off the SIMGLW446C. Then turned on for hands free activation, no provision needed. Just like most phones, shortest route between A and B.
Any deviation might be a problem. Sometimes a factory reset will get you back to square one. 

Yeah, I agree. it's without the activation that seems to cause some problems with RingPlus. Especially true with custom ROMs, although we're just talking stock here, so a factory reset may be part of that process. 
Then again, I pretty much don't know what I'm talking about.

I must have missed somewhere that the 4K plan requires a $120 Lifetime Member+ Addon. 
for me the total comes to $145.73 to sign up.   I guess I'll pass on this deal. 

Summary
Plan Cost:$0.00
Initial Auto Top Up:$20.00
Add Ons:$120.00
Estimated Taxes & Fees:$5.73 
Total:$145.73 

--> EDIT:   Now it's showing the FLASH PROMO without the Member+

I also don't know much really, not about porting or Member+. I must be lucky, strictly stock and by the book. Only tried support once, with mixed results. No data just dumped the S3 for a better phone than bother with it. Most are just placeholders while I enjoy my $200 Nexus 6 and $125 Moto G4 on cheap sims from BB and TING.

joemi said:   4K plan should be available now. It's too bad the site is giving a 503 error.

"503 Service Unavailable
No server is available to handle this request."

This is certainly a problem with "flash promos".    The web site is going to get slammed and everything is going to come to a halt.   Its " a self inflicted, unintentional, denial of service attack".      I have seen this with a number of vendors who have limited time availability events.   If RingPlus is going to continue to do business this way perhaps it would serve them well to contract their web site to a service provider who has the capacity to deal with these peak demand events. 

The site just came up for me. 3:11 PDT

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017