iTech Deals has iTD Gear Powerful 10 Amps 4 USB Ports Car Charger in Black  for $8.99 after code DN4PRT, with free shipping.

Views
10 Comments
Add Comment
Is this compatible with ipod touch 6th generation ?

Am I the only one thinking that 10AMPS is very misleading? My logic (correct or incorrect) is that even if this device has a 10A fuse, there's no way the average automotive's cigarette lighter outlet can safely supply 10A of current to the device. If this unit really allows 10A of draw, then if my logic is correct, this device is going to just allow over draw on the circuit. But please correct me if I'm wrong.

justanothergeek said:   Am I the only one thinking that 10AMPS is very misleading? My logic (correct or incorrect) is that even if this device has a 10A fuse, there's no way the average automotive's cigarette lighter outlet can safely supply 10A of current to the device. If this unit really allows 10A of draw, then if my logic is correct, this device is going to just allow over draw on the circuit. But please correct me if I'm wrong.
  Yes, 10amp is very misleading. 10amp device is very large current.  I guess it is not working like that. Usaully it is 2.5A

easypeakosaurus said:   
justanothergeek said:   Am I the only one thinking that 10AMPS is very misleading? My logic (correct or incorrect) is that even if this device has a 10A fuse, there's no way the average automotive's cigarette lighter outlet can safely supply 10A of current to the device. If this unit really allows 10A of draw, then if my logic is correct, this device is going to just allow over draw on the circuit. But please correct me if I'm wrong.
  Yes, 10amp is very misleading. 10amp device is very large current.  I guess it is not working like that. Usaully it is 2.5A

If the car has a real "cigar lighter", they are usually fused at 20A

RegUSPatOff said:     If the car has a real "cigar lighter", they are usually fused at 20A
  Yes but that fuse is usually for a lot more than just the cigar/cigarette lighter no?  You would need some pretty significant AWG and shielding to push 20A to a single device, so I dont think that 20A fuse is just for the cigarette/cigar lighter.

Most cigarette lighters nowadays have about a 10A output (SUVs and trucks are 15A+ ) when the car's running. The 'always on' ports are way way less. Alternators churn out the power, so why not?

But that is the max this thing could handle. So either it has some dynamic load controller that splits the current when multiple plugs are in, or each USB is set to 2.5A, and it looks like its the latter.

Guys, guys, guys. 10A is at 5V, and automotive power is at 12V. You get 120 W of power from a standard cigarette lighter. What they mean by 10A is that this is a 50W charger. There's no problem.

Sure, you can't push 10A to a single device, but no charger does that; you'll melt your cable.

justanothergeek said:   
RegUSPatOff said:     If the car has a real "cigar lighter", they are usually fused at 20A
  Yes but that fuse is usually for a lot more than just the cigar/cigarette lighter no?  You would need some pretty significant AWG and shielding to push 20A to a single device, so I dont think that 20A fuse is just for the cigarette/cigar lighter.

YES, 20A  12AWG or 14AWG, ONLY for the cigar lighter

Radja said:   Most cigarette lighters nowadays have about a 10A output (SUVs and trucks are 15A+ ) when the car's running. The 'always on' ports are way way less. Alternators churn out the power, so why not?

But that is the max this thing could handle. So either it has some dynamic load controller that splits the current when multiple plugs are in, or each USB is set to 2.5A, and it looks like its the latter.

YES, 2.5A per each port.
USUALLY 20A lighter fuse,
Here's a diagram for a 2005 Buick LeSabre
MaxiFuse # 65 40A
http://s3.amazonaws.com/2cp-images/question_images/5853/large.gif

bppcomplete 'hit the nail on the head' for the crucial detail I was being a dumb-dumb about. 

W=VxA (and you guys are talking about a 5V usb adapter)

I couldn't get my head wrapped around the concept that people are thinking a cigar/cigarette lighter could supply up to 10A @ 120v and that was ... well... just not my brightest moment.  Thank you OP!  After contributing my FUD and getting straightened out, I of course bought one

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017