• Page :
  • 1
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
My wife and I are planning a trip to Cairo, so I have a fare alert set up specifically for our area, and it just popped. I'm not sure what kind of insane sale is going on, but I just booked two round-trip tickets on Turkish airlines to Cairo from WAS (Washington DC area airports, ours was specifically from IAD) for $17 per ticket +taxes and fees.

After taxes (which are standard for international flights, or something?), the total for two tickets came to: $979.52.

If anyone is interested in traveling internationally, apparently now is a good time to book!

Edit: Here's a Kayak search link which should show the fares: https://www.kayak.com/flights/WAS-CAI/2016-10-03-flexible/2016-10-10-flexible/2adults 

Member Summary

Round-trip tickets to Cairo
Thanks Neilium
Disclaimer
Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

rehtonAesoohC said:   My wife and I are planning a trip to Cairo, so I have a fare alert set up specifically for our area, and it just popped. I'm not sure what kind of insane sale is going on, but I just booked two round-trip tickets on Turkish airlines to Cairo from WAS (Washington DC area airports, ours was specifically from IAD) for $17 per ticket +taxes and fees.

After taxes (which are standard for international flights, or something?), the total came to: $979.52.

If anyone is interested in traveling internationally, apparently now is a good time to book!

  I got a better alert. It was $1 per ticket (plus tax and fee). The total with tax and fees comes to $1,521.35. I am definitely traveling to Turkey now. /sarcasm.
Seriously, your title is very misleading.

fwuser12 said:   
rehtonAesoohC said:   My wife and I are planning a trip to Cairo, so I have a fare alert set up specifically for our area, and it just popped. I'm not sure what kind of insane sale is going on, but I just booked two round-trip tickets on Turkish airlines to Cairo from WAS (Washington DC area airports, ours was specifically from IAD) for $17 per ticket +taxes and fees.

After taxes (which are standard for international flights, or something?), the total came to: $979.52.

If anyone is interested in traveling internationally, apparently now is a good time to book!

  I got a better alert. It was $1 per ticket (plus tax and fee). The total with tax and fees comes to $1,521.35. I am definitely traveling to Turkey now. /sarcasm.
Seriously, your title is very misleading.

  
Edited the title to be more clear.

goes to show how much international passengers are gouged on taxes

rehtonAesoohC said:   Edited the title to be more clear.
  Thanks for the edit. TBH, I mistook the figure in your OP as being for one ticket.
In any case, I believe these "deals" are specific to the destination (and recent events there). Not necessarily a general time to travel internationally.

Accouding to the Turkish Airways website, there is an "Insurance and fuel fee" of $736.00

You see sir, the car is free. The engine, transmission, tires, windshield, seats, radio oh and you'll likely want brakes... those are extras and will set you back... a wee bit!
Ah, the old Stone Soup recipe!

vadmsmith said:   Accouding to the Turkish Airways website, there is an "Insurance and fuel fee" of $736.00
  
I'm not sure if something changed, but I got confirmed tickets without paying any of those fees...  

Entire month of October appears to be $489 or $490. You can also fly KLM on the same route for about $50/pp more.

Looks like shipping really does kill this deal.



Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2016