posted 47 years ago by
EntertheDeals
Nerdy Member

Posted with ToGo

Texas Instruments TI-84 Plus Calculator
$88
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Texas-Instruments-TI-84-Plus-Calculator/3136045

TI-84 Plus is a graphing calculator with 8 display lines, displaying 16 characters, included USB computer cable, fully compatible with TI-83 Plus

Views
16 Comments
Add Comment
Bought a ti-84 plus silver edition for $80 over 13 years ago.... These things are basically just a money machine for TI at this point. It's just sad that this is the de facto device to use because instructors/teachers don't understand how to use Casio/HP or don't care to learn (and teach students). The majority of these are used sporadically over a period of 4 or so years and then thrown into a drawer to be forgotten.

Side note - benefit of old school units with black and white display is they use AAA batteries, not li-ion. When your kid leaves it in a drawer/locker for a few months or years, the $15-$40 battery dies to the point where it won't take a charge and must be replaced. I used to sell batteries for the color units (last year we sold close to 100, most of them around back to school season)

Easier to use than TI83.

Just over $1 per TI.

Ordered one. Thanks!

LoL these things are such a scam.

obligatory:

xkcd: 1996

I don't know if I really want to waste my US $88.00 on this scientific calculator. Back in the 90s, this powerful calculator will come very Handy. However, technology has changed since. AFAICT, one only needs a much less expensive single smart device with some appropriate software installed to carry around to do more things at a much faster pace, i.e. an inexpensive prepaid Android smartphone, etc. For instance, a prepaid Motorola Android smartphone was on sale for less than US $10 during the last 2015 Black Friday sale. With some free Android scientific calculator software installed, this Android smartphone can do more or less computation at a much faster speed for much less.

If you are going to spend the money on a new TI 84 then you really should consider the TI 84 plus CE it is quite a bit faster, has more RAM and the color screen makes it much easier to read especially for graphing (at least that's what I read in reviews). I got one at Staples for just a little more after coupons than the TI 84 Plus. To me the best place to buy the older version TI 84 plus is on eBay used, there are so many of them out there much cheaper.

I've got 4 of these. One for each time that my teenage son lost his. We would buy another one. He'd lose it again. When we finally moved out of our house, we found we had 4 of them!

TI-Nspire series are also qualified for SAT tests. More features and many come with free TI-84 Keypad. Got one for my son. He had no problem in the classroom even without the keypad.

zklopman said:   obligatory:

https://xkcd.com/768/

As a former TI employee I enjoyed that.  There's tons of engineers there, but they're all busy making chips that go inside other things....

BTW, I bought a TI36x pro recently...thats a hell of a lot of calculator for like 20 bucks.

With the exception of the graphing - you can use the Casio FX-115ES, which is usually $12 to $15 online or in the stores.

If you need graphing so bad, and you know someone with these expensive calculators, and have an android phone you can download an emulator and the OS from the TI calculator and run on your phone - same thing, no difference and save $100.

If you're aren't getting a calculator for a class, and actually need some computing power, The TI 89 Titanium is the only calculator to get.

You are able to define variables in terms of numbers, symbols, or formulas that consist of numbers, symbols, or functions. It will spit out an answer solely in terms of variables, no numbers needed.

If you use MATLAB, you can run scripts on the 89 just like you would an M file. The programming language is similar but not identical.

There is a built in function for just about every major topic from trig, all of calculus, and many from differential equations integrated into the os.

You can also save and view PDF files on it.

"The TI-89 Titanium also features some pre-loaded applications, such as "CellSheet", a spreadsheet program also offered with other TI calculators. The Titanium has a slightly updated CAS, which adds a few more mathematical functions, most notably implicit differentiation. "

Yes, implicit differentiation DOES mean that it will do derivatives and integrals.  

TI-84 Plus CE Graphing Calculator, Mixed Colors - Walmart.com
Disclaimer
The TI-84 Plus CE may be a better deal.  It also sells for $88 at WalMart.  It appears to be a newer version of the TI-84 Plus with color display and rechargeable Li-Ion battery, and likely faster as well.  WalMart is out of stock on this item in most of their stores due to the back to school season.  But OfficeDepot /OfficeMax has boatloads of them priced at $119.99 and they will price match to WalMart for $88.  I just got one for my teenage son yesterday.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Texas-Instruments-84PLCE-TBL-1L1-Texas... 

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2016