• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:

Microsoft - Lumia 950 4G LTE 32GB Cell Phone - Black (AT&T) $298.99 at bestbuy.com + FS
Disclaimer

Posted with ToGo

Microsoft - Lumia 950 4G LTE 32GB Cell Phone - Black (AT&T)
$298.99
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/microsoft-lumia-950-4g-lte-with-32gb-memory-cell-phone-black-at-t/4702900.p?id=1219805788884&skuId=4702900

Choose device without a service plan

Nokia Lumia 950 Cell Phone for AT&T: With both 4G LTE speed and built-in Wi-Fi, you'll be able to stay connected at home and on the go. Use the 20.0MP rear-facing camera to take high-quality photos of important moments in your life and review them on the crystal-clear 5.2" AMOLED touch screen.AT&T Next option available in store. Learn more ?

Member Summary
Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Windows 10 seamlessly make the experience fluid between devices.

angelaemilyop said:   Windows 10 seamlessly make the experience fluid between devices.
  Not sure why that comment got red. It's pretty true.

frett said:   
angelaemilyop said:   Windows 10 seamlessly make the experience fluid between devices.

Some people just hate Windows Phones. I would love to have one of these but they are going to have to come down more so I can afford one. Great specs.

Its a great deal on a 4G LTE phone. Its fast, reliable, and a overall great phone.

Imagine if all the Windows users who under-utilize their android phone switched to WP. There goes 80% of the Android mobile phone base. Hello app support.

frett said:   

Maybe because it reads like a sales ad from a 'new member' that's probably joined just for that kind of thing (promoting certain brands / offers, regardless of actual deal worthiness.)  Just like the post from the other new member 'mozweb' that also joined in the last couple of months.

chrislk1986 said:   Imagine if all the Windows users who under-utilize their android phone switched to WP. There goes 80% of the Android mobile phone base. Hello app support.
  MS can keep on dreaming but that won't happen.
  I've used WP7 and WP8 (Nokia) phones and while the phones themselves have good specs the apps and UI are no match to Android.
  It took them a long time to offer similar notification capability.  Even now there is still no voice typing. (which my wife uses a lot on Android.)
  The web browser is horrible and the game selections (important to me) and app selections are very limited.  One app we use a lot is Youtube for Kids that is not available on WP.
  In reality though,  I can see MS management is not stupid.  They are gradually moving toward the direction of offering apps and services across platforms instead of trying to push for WP adoption. 
  I think the new direction is the right way to go and MS would do better with it.
*CORRECTION:  There is actually finally voice typing in WP10. (available since insider preview)  But I already switched my mom's phone to Android while waiting.
 It turned out to still be a right decision because her Nokia 925 was denied WP10 in the end.

The Linux support in Windows 10 originally started as a project to allow for better Android emulation on Win10 phones. Allegedly it worked too well and management axed that portion of it because it would mean too many problems for UWP across the rest of the Windows platform.

https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=12234735

Do these work on T-Mobile bands?

These phones were DOA when they were released in Nov last year. This is what they should have been priced at from the start. To be fair Lumia have excellent cameras. Thats about the only plus for buying one now.

BucknifeJones said:   These phones were DOA when they were released in Nov last year. This is what they should have been priced at from the start. To be fair Lumia have excellent cameras. Thats about the only plus for buying one now.
  I use a lower level Nokia (635 I think) and it's voice quality/phone quality is superb, phone itself is rock solid -rarely locks up, unlike my wife's Android.  My camera (no flash) is so-so.  I use it for business and am very happy with the phone but I imagine in the long run Win phones are a dead end.  I remember reading a while ago that Microsoft has already written off several billion dollars more than they originally (grossly over-)paid for Nokia.  Microsoft really blew it in this market.

WalterGuy said:   
BucknifeJones said:   These phones were DOA when they were released in Nov last year. This is what they should have been priced at from the start. To be fair Lumia have excellent cameras. Thats about the only plus for buying one now.
  I use a lower level Nokia (635 I think) and it's voice quality/phone quality is superb, phone itself is rock solid -rarely locks up, unlike my wife's Android.  My camera (no flash) is so-so.  I use it for business and am very happy with the phone but I imagine in the long run Win phones are a dead end.  I remember reading a while ago that Microsoft has already written off several billion dollars more than they originally (grossly over-)paid for Nokia.  Microsoft really blew it in this market.

I replaced my 635 with a 640.  The extra RAM helps out on javascript-heavy webpages and I get a flash.
I'd replace the 640 with a 950 only if it was $99 or less.

View said:   
chrislk1986 said:   Imagine if all the Windows users who under-utilize their android phone switched to WP. There goes 80% of the Android mobile phone base. Hello app support.
  I've used WP7 and WP8 (Nokia) phones and while the phones themselves have good specs the apps and UI are no match to Android.
  It took them a long time to offer similar notification capability.  Even now there is still no voice typing. (which my wife uses a lot on Android.)
  The web browser is horrible and the game selections (important to me) and app selections are very limited.  One app we use a lot is Youtube for Kids that is not available on WP.
  In reality though,  I can see MS management is not stupid.  They are gradually moving toward the direction of offering apps and services across platforms instead of trying to push for WP adoption. 
  I think the new direction is the right way to go and MS would do better with it.
*CORRECTION:  There is actually finally voice typing in WP10. (available since insider preview)  But I already switched my mom's phone to Android while waiting.
 It turned out to still be a right decision because her Nokia 925 was denied WP10 in the end.

While UI is a subjective thing, as a software developer I can tell you that the MS UI is *far* more consistent than Androids and most people prefer it over Android -even with the various skins that companies like HTC have placed on it. You are correct about the toast notification. While there was a type of notification in the past, there was no centralized UI for them and new versions of Windows Phone have it. Personally, I don't like either the Android or Windows implementation.

With respect to voice typing, it has been there for a *very* long time.  I think it may have been in WP 7 as well.  I use it all the time for text messaging and emails. App support with voice typing is hit and miss, but the core apps delivered by the OS include it.

I disagree with your opinion about the web browser. It is more stable than Androids and renders pages extremely well. Best of all, I've never had a web page crash the OS like I have had happen with Android.

I think the only really valid criticism is the selection of games and apps. There are a few games (Pokémon Go for one) that aren't on the platform and apps are hit and miss although the major apps are pretty much all there.

At the end of the day, it's all about what you prefer. There is no real "better" phone operating system. They all have their strengths and weaknesses. While my Lumia 1020 is getting dated, it still works perfectly with no slowdowns and I rarely have to reboot it. I also have a couple of Android phones that I use for development, but there is no way I would use them for daily use because of the crashes in the apps, the random slowdowns and glitches and general instability of the platform. It's gotten far better over the years, but I'd rather have a device that works without me having to constantly tweak it than have a couple of extra apps and games that my kids want to play. I also prefer the Office suite of applications to the Android offerings,

I love this phone. Windows 10 is smooth as silk. Phone is rock solid. Wireless charging is awesome. Good deal!

ViveLeRoi said:   
View said:   
chrislk1986 said:   

While UI is a subjective thing, as a software developer I can tell you that the MS UI is *far* more consistent than Androids and most people prefer it over Android -even with the various skins that companies like HTC have placed on it. You are correct about the toast notification. While there was a type of notification in the past, there was no centralized UI for them and new versions of Windows Phone have it. Personally, I don't like either the Android or Windows implementation.

With respect to voice typing, it has been there for a *very* long time.  I think it may have been in WP 7 as well.  I use it all the time for text messaging and emails. App support with voice typing is hit and miss, but the core apps delivered by the OS include it.

I disagree with your opinion about the web browser. It is more stable than Androids and renders pages extremely well. Best of all, I've never had a web page crash the OS like I have had happen with Android.

I think the only really valid criticism is the selection of games and apps. There are a few games (Pokémon Go for one) that aren't on the platform and apps are hit and miss although the major apps are pretty much all there.

At the end of the day, it's all about what you prefer. There is no real "better" phone operating system. They all have their strengths and weaknesses. While my Lumia 1020 is getting dated, it still works perfectly with no slowdowns and I rarely have to reboot it. I also have a couple of Android phones that I use for development, but there is no way I would use them for daily use because of the crashes in the apps, the random slowdowns and glitches and general instability of the platform. It's gotten far better over the years, but I'd rather have a device that works without me having to constantly tweak it than have a couple of extra apps and games that my kids want to play. I also prefer the Office suite of applications to the Android offerings,

Hmm,  I'm not convinced "most people prefer Windows Phone UI over Android" is a correct statement without a valid survey backing it up. 
  I know voice typing was available long back for search and some core functions.  But the whole point is the keyboard itself did not have voice typing so literally no third-party messaging apps could use it.  It was useless to my mom.
  I looked very hard for my mom on her Nokia 925 with Windows Phone 8, but just couldn't find it. It is indeed a new feature in Windows 10 Mobile. 
  You have the 1020?   I just found 1020 too has been denied official upgrade to Windows 10 Mobile just like the 925.  It is really sad but I'm glad I switched my mom to Optimus G Pro.  She is finally able to enjoy all the features we've had on Android for a long time.  And I totally agree that at the end of the day it is all about each user's individual needs.  People like you may not need the features we need, that is absolutely fine. And I actually like to have more choices but MS has never been able to deliver. (and unwilling to really spend the money like Amazon did)
  Based on the market share though it seems "most users prefer Android and iOS over Windows Phone" by a large margin. To me that makes a lot of sense because I just don't see the point of having a smartphone that can run few apps and even has reduced functionality in popular apps. (for example, LINE messaging)  Even if it has the best UI and the best camera,  those are not enough to compensate the lack of quality apps.  I have about 500 Android apps and I have paid hardly anything for them.  I got a ton of them from free promotions.  Also,  I disagree with your claim that Android is less stable than WP.  I've had hardly any app crashes on my Note 4 and previously LG G2.  I only had more crashes on NOOK HD+ running a custom Cyanogenmod rom.  But custom Cyanogenmod is not a commercial grade OS and the hardware is far from ideal.    I only agree that there are many crappy Android phones with hardware that's extremely lousy and some less than optimized apps causing more crashes than normal thus tarnished the Android brand somewhat. 

I have the unlocked version of 950. Great device, dual sim is brilliant. But Windows 10... I can't love it.
Here maps missing. I liked the email app in Win 8 much more than outlook in 10.
I'm almost ready to switch back to my old Lumia 925 with Win 8. Perfect combination, except the phone is almost 3 years old, but so far I can't find a better solution for myself.
Anyone out there still with 925 - stick with it!

AWESOME phone if you're an email junkie on your phone. Outlook on Windows 10 is the BEST mobile email client around. (Even better than Outlook on iOS)

View said:   

They could Re-Launch a new phone if they somehow get devs to create apps.  There are a few handfuls of apps which most people deem "essential" to a phones survival.  If they were to launch a Surface phone with support for those apps, they could easily sneak their way back in to the mobile game (not that they are completely out).  I never completely understood the issue with app support on WP.  Figured it became a spec issue, since app support was slowly gaining after the initial release, then went stale without reaching all the "vital" apps, then app support started to vanish for previously supported apps.  I guess MS was too concerned with putting out an affordable phone than a phone that could compete with iOS and Android.  Even the big boys flop some times.  Sticking with my Fire Phone for now, great phone with Play Store installed. Hoping for a WP/Surface Phone miracle.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2016