• filter:
  • Page :
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
Voting History
rated:

Posted with ToGo

Freedompop FREE Talk, Text, Data/Month + Global 3-in-1 SIM Kit + 2200mAH Power Bank $1.99

http://www.freedompop.com/offer/voicesimpower 

Freedompop is offering FREE Talk, Text, Data/mo with the Global 3-in-1 SIM Kit + Bonus 2200mAH Power Bank + Global Talk, Text, 1GB/mo Trial + Premium Plus Trials for only $1.99 Free Shipping. Tax in CA. Please note, you can easily downgrade to the Free Basic Plan anytime before the trials are over (will Auto-Renew after trials are over).

They also have the 3in1 SIM Card w/ Trials + Selfie Stick for $1.99 Free Shipping.

The normally retails for $15, so you're saving over 80% off the list price plus you get a free 2200mAh USB Battery. The sim card kit will work with most unlocked GSM phones, tablets, and hotspots from carriers like AT&T and T-Mobile (must be unlocked).

Free Basic Plan: 200MB data/500 texts/200min each month (with downgrade)
No contracts, credit checks or commitments
Free unlimited calling & texting between Freedompop phones
Earn additional free data every month by adding friends
Compatible with Android 4.0+ and Apple iOS 7.0+ devices
Earn unlimited free data by completeing partner offers
Currently works in 25 countries with more being added in the future

Moderator Comment: This thread is mirrored to these forums: MOBILE, LAPTOPS, AND COMPUTERS, HOT DEALS. — Sep. 26, 2016 @ 8:26pm
Member Summary

freedompop (3.75kB)
Thanks BMWLVR82
Disclaimer
Most Recent Posts
Delivery time for this company is anywhere from 4-6 months, based on my prior experience. You may get charged even thoug... (more)

AcidSpectrum (Aug. 16, 2016 @ 8:50p) |

I downgrade all paid subscriptions and signed up for international free minutes as soon as I ordered the sim. I requeste... (more)

Xam (Aug. 17, 2016 @ 12:12p) |

I got it late last week. Haven't tried it out yet.

cestmoi123 (Aug. 22, 2016 @ 7:33a) |

Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

rated:
For anyone who's traveling, and wants to have a phone that works internationally, but doesn't have T-Mobile, this is a great deal.

rated:
Do I have to sign up for the plan to purchase the sim card?

rated:
You have to sign up, you get a one month free trial, and you'll start paying $20/month thereafter, unless you login before the free trial is up and downgrade to the free plan.

You can't get the SIM now, and then wait to activate it (i.e. you can't buy 12 of these now, and then use them in sequence for the next year to get 1GB/month for $2/month).

rated:
how does voice connection sound compared to Ring +?

rated:
Where's the "Easy downgrade" button? I see higher plans I can select, but not a free one. Do I have to wait until I'm activated and closer to the end of my first month?

rated:
You can downgrade as soon as you get the email from FP with your password.  Go to  My Account and click Details and Plan Management where it lists your account type.  Then you can downgrade and click downgrade anyway

rated:
do i need a Sprint phone to be able to activate it? Also is there a separate activation fee (it says 19.99) but not sure with the offer. I have unlocked lumia 521 and Moto2G phones, with MVNO H20. I dont want to spend on another phone. someone pls help. Thanks/

rated:
for the free basic plan, will FP automatically charge you for overages? if so, is there a way around it?

rated:
Question for you guys. I am using my iPhone for a TMobile Post-Paid plan. can I use the same phone to sign up for FP and still keep the Tmo acc - can I just switch the SIM card out whenever I want to use FP, then reverse back to the original SIM Card to get back on to Tmo?

rated:
FYI - I recently returned from a trip in which I was in 5 European cities/towns. Although the process was neither fast nor problem free, I purchased a Freedompop Global Hotspot in May, had to return it due to a defect, eventually got the replacement, then got my account straightened out about 2 days before my trip (one of their reps messed up the account during the device replacement time). The Global Hotspot is just a mifi device with the global SIM installed in it. The good news is that it worked in Amsterdam, in Oslo, and in 3 smaller Norwegian towns. There were times it did NOT work, however, but I think it was due to cellular tower congestion due to thousands of cruise passengers let out in a small town. All in all I was very pleased to have "free" cellular access while on or near land in 5 different European cities.

rated:
brusbrother said:   how does voice connection sound compared to Ring +?
  It's VOIP, not cellular for calls (and also for texts).  So you install their "Freedompop Messenger" app to make calls.   So it's better than CDMA via RP, about on par if you've used the RingPlus Fluidcall VOIP) feature.  You can always use GoogleVoice, which has better quality than FP (IMHO), but will count against your data rather than your "minutes".

Caveats about this service:

1) See comments above about not being "real" cellular for calls/texts

2) Data is "3G", routed through an off-shore APN, causing fairly high pings (250-300ms), so it's a little laggy.  Best I saw was 4mb/s, mostly 1-2mb/s.  It's usable, but certainly noticeably different than LTE. 

3) Since it's routed through foreign APN, certain sites will think you are outside of the USA.  For example, GoogleVoice kept inserting the UK country code (44) before the phone number for my calls, since it assumed I was in the UK from the IP address. I had to pre-pend a "+1" before my phone numbers to circumvent this.  I have had no major issues beyond this -- no problems with various US shopping sites, financial institution sites, etc. thinking I wasn't really me.

4) Lot's of "traps for the unweary" -- the app constantly offers upgrades to various services when first launched.  Those are all denoted as FREE, but then the fine print says it's only free for the first month.  So the big "OK" button will result in you being charged after the first month, while the small print link that says "I don't want free stuff" won't.  But if you are a diligent Fat Wallet'er you can get up to 700MB of data (with Freedom Friends) + 200 domestic + 100 International (some destinations) VOIP minutes for free.  These are all of the free allotments (the international is an opt-in), plus the extra 500MB from having 10 "friends" also using their service.

5) One great feature is that the system uses both AT&T and T-Mobile 's networks -- so you've got access to a pretty good combination of networks. 

rated:
mmyk72 said:   Question for you guys. I am using my iPhone for a TMobile Post-Paid plan. can I use the same phone to sign up for FP and still keep the Tmo acc - can I just switch the SIM card out whenever I want to use FP, then reverse back to the original SIM Card to get back on to Tmo?
Yes, this is GSM using AT&T/T-Mobile's networks here -- it's not the Sprint network. So no MEID/IMEI registration required -- just pop the SIM in and add the APN when you want to use it.

As a suggestion: If you aren't going to use regularly, install the app on your iPhone and make a VOIP call at least once a month -- you don't need their SIM installed to make a call, just your username and password and the call can go over Wi-Fi or cellular.  There are reports of them suspending lines on FP for people that don't make a call for a period of time.

rated:
blogpie said:   do i need a Sprint phone to be able to activate it? Also is there a separate activation fee (it says 19.99) but not sure with the offer. I have unlocked lumia 521 and Moto2G phones, with MVNO H20. I dont want to spend on another phone. someone pls help. Thanks/
  See my post right above this one -- you can use your unlocked phones.

Regarding the fees, if you downgrade the plan and the trial of the services as soon as your SIM ships (or shortly after it arrives), you won't be charged anything beyond the initial $1.99.  There are pretty clear directions on what to do to downgrade each of the base plan and the "services" on their own forums (it's pretty easy, just read the fine print carefully before you click anything).

One paid feature I did opt to keep: When I downgraded the services, it offered me a free month of data roll-over, which I took and have kept and paid $3.99/month for the past couple of months.  My needs for this service were to get some AT&T access since there are still a few places where T-Mobile isn't fully covered.  So I might need a 500MB-1GB over the course of a few days/week in some location, but only a few times a year.  So rather than have to face overages or buy-up for more data, I figure it's $4/mo and I can roll-over up to 500MB of my remaining data from each month's new allotment (up to 20GB "in the bank").  It wasn't completely intuitive the way they explain it, since they only show a single number for the available data (e.g., 1.68GB), but that is 2 months rollover of 500MB/month (since I barely used it), plus my 700MB for this new cycle (200MB basic + 500MB for having 10+ "Friends").  So really it's 1GB "in the bank" + 700MB for the current month -- whatever part of the 700MB that I don't use this month (up to 500MB) will be added to the 1GB in the bank, and I'll get another 700MB next month.  And so on, and so on, and so on...

rated:
$1.99 is great deal. Does anyone successful get this?

rated:
Thanks HighTech!  thanks a lot for your timely help. You explained it very well and I really like the rollover plan too.  I was merely planning to use it for data on the road and occasional calls to keep it live. I like my GV through hangouts and have wifi most of the time. I ordered it based on your suggestion below. I have access to the account and downgrade it. I am thinking of using it for a few days and downgrading it so i know if i need the rollover or not. Strangely, when I checked with BYOD tool it said there was temporary issue and I've to call some number. I am going to ignore it and pop in the SIM when it  arrives. Thanks for the guidance once again. I love our fw community here because of people like you.

rated:
I have been using FP Global SIM in my Verizon Prepaid Moto E for more than a month and think it's a good deal. When they first rolled out, FP forced you to choose a UK phone number but now, you can pick a number in your US area code. Some tips (might be repeating what others have said):
1) After you install the SIM, make sure APN is set to Freedompop.foggmobile.com
2) Need to turn on Data Roaming Acess. On Moto E, it is set to "Allow access for all trips"
3) Freedompop Messenger app is needed to make calls and send texts.
4) Freedompop Voicemail app is needed for voicemail.
5) You can log into Freedompop.com and track talk, text and data usage for the month.

For me, download speeds have been about 1Mbps which is very slow compared to R+. Also, I have not been able to get mobile hot spot to work.

Finally, the global SIM is not really global yet. European coverage is good now. Mexico and parts of Asia coming end of the year?

rated:
DrElectron said:   For me, download speeds have been about 1Mbps which is very slow compared to R+. Also, I have not been able to get mobile hot spot to work.

I have only tried the hotspot a few times and found it to be hit or miss.  One thing you need to do is when you set the APN, it has to be "Default,DUN" (DUN means dial-up-networking which is the protocol for the hotspot).

I haven't had time to play around any more with it, but I am wondering if it works on one carrier but not the other.  For example, maybe it works on T-Mobile but not AT&T due to the roaming agreements between Three-UK and the differing US carriers, and my phone is set to Auto Select so it presumably flips back and forth.  This is purely speculation on my part as to why the behavior is inconsistent.  I'm going to play with it a bit more next week as I'll be on vacation and will hopefully have some down time at the pool/beach (beer in one hand and phone in the other).  It's hard to discern what carrier you are connected to since the SIM brands both as Freedompop, but a tool like LTE Discovery can help by giving you the GSM Network IDs (310-260 is T-Mo and 310-410 is AT&T) even if you're connected to the HSPA network.

rated:
I am currently in Asia. A friend is coming from the US to me shortly and I'd like to get this use it, downgrade to free and then have it for future use (when I get back).

Does this sound okay?

PS: Which ZIP Code would apply here? Delivery location or Credit Card/ Debit Card used to pay? 

rated:
great deal, does any one get it?

rated:
jotson said:   You can downgrade as soon as you get the email from FP with your password.  Go to  My Account and click Details and Plan Management where it lists your account type.  Then you can downgrade and click downgrade anyway
Took me a bit to figure out where to actually navigate as the instructions above are lacking in some critical details.  The steps below should be a bit clearer:

1) Go to My Account
2) Select Plans (this key step was missing in the above)
3) Underneath your CURRENT PLAN (i.e. Global 1GB Unlimited), locate and click on the mouseprint link for "Details and Plan Management"
4) On the next page, locate the mouseprint stating "To downgrade your plan, click here" (where the word "here" is hyperlinked, so click on that)

rated:
Global SIM Kit - Voice/Text/Data Bundle $1.99
Global 1GB Unlimited Trial ($19.99/month) Show Details FREE
2200 mAh Power Bank w/ Built-in Micro USB Cable FREE
Premium Plus Trial: A bundle of our top services including visual voicemail, usage alerts, data rollover and MMS for one low monthly price Trial ($7.99/month) FREE
Sub Total :
$1.99
Estimated  Tax update:
$0.16
Shipping: Standard 3 to 7 days
FREE
Due Today:
$2.15

Also, FP is a $5 cashback site, but not for this.

rated:
TheDiggler said:   
jotson said:   You can downgrade as soon as you get the email from FP with your password.  Go to  My Account and click Details and Plan Management where it lists your account type.  Then you can downgrade and click downgrade anyway
Took me a bit to figure out where to actually navigate as the instructions above are lacking in some critical details.  The steps below should be a bit clearer:

1) Go to My Account
2) Select Plans (this key step was missing in the above)
3) Underneath your CURRENT PLAN (i.e. Global 1GB Unlimited), locate and click on the mouseprint link for "Details and Plan Management"
4) On the next page, locate the mouseprint stating "To downgrade your plan, click here" (where the word "here" is hyperlinked, so click on that)

Try this: 
4.To deactivate the Freedompop Premium Plus service, click here​ 
5. On the next page, locate the mouseprint stating "To downgrade your plan, click here" 

rated:
Typical delivery time frame. Especially to LA area?

rated:
Delivery was 4 days for FedEx to hand it off to my local post office, plus 2 days for the post office to deliver it to one of my neighbors, plus 5 more days for my neighbor to realize they had my mail & deliver it to me.

rated:
Delivery time for this company is anywhere from 4-6 months, based on my prior experience. You may get charged even though you don't have the item, and you'll spend many calls to get the charges removed, if lucky.

rated:
I downgrade all paid subscriptions and signed up for international free minutes as soon as I ordered the sim. I requested, for a phone number, in my account, before turning on the device, with the sim card. you can request for a phone number as soon as they assigned the ICCID under your account. I think they assign the ICCID to your account when they ship the sim. After I setup the APN and installed the Message App, I had to make out going call and let it rang for 2 to 3 minutes before the other ends starts to ring. then everything starts to work. I had to disable all freedom pop related process and apps to have the android phone working again on a non freedom pop sim card. That was my first freedom pop sim experience. Hopefully not surprises after 1 month.  Now have to figure out how to assign "own number" on my phone menu. Anyone know the cost or would it stop working when we used pass its allotment?

update:
I found that mins and texting suspends when going over. Data would charge $15 auto top up when going over.

rated:
I got it late last week. Haven't tried it out yet.

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2016