• filter:
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
Voting History
rated:

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
I've been looking for a 500gb. Spent a little more and got the 1TB. Thank you FW!

macprice2 (Dec. 25, 2016 @ 5:43p) |

I found this comparison chart online:
I think the chart might be in error where it says the Roamio 1TB has a cablecard sl... (more)

george2001 (Dec. 25, 2016 @ 6:04p) |

I have been waiting for Tivo to fix the C423 error between this unit and my series 3 for a month.   OTA no longer even se... (more)

nsdp (Dec. 26, 2016 @ 8:15p) |

Just to add, as far as i can tell, can only be used with over the air antenna. Cannot be used with satellite or cable tv. 
Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

rated:
Nice find OP.

rated:
Is there a learning remote that works with this Tivo?

rated:
beatriceschwab said:   Is there a learning remote that works with this Tivo?
  Harmony and other universal remotes like Simple work with Tivos. Also the Tivo remote, which is a great remote, can be programmed to control your TV - I have it setup to control basic functions like on/off and vol for my Vizio TV.

rated:
Don't forget 5% cash back this quarter with Discover.

Plus possibly 2% eBates cash back.

rated:
I don't think Best Buy is home improvement.

rated:
My satellite payments were going to be 130 dollars a month unless I signed a new 2 year deal. 85% of what I watch is OTA.

rated:
wizwor said:   I don't think Best Buy is home improvement.
  Where in this deal does it say anything about Best Buy?? It's Amazon and it is 5% cash back....Just Sayin!!

rated:
Nice cash back!! Thanks OP!

rated:
Ships in 1 to 2 months.  Does Amazon bill cc at time of purchase or when it ships.

rated:
dafish said:   Ships in 1 to 2 months.  Does Amazon bill cc at time of purchase or when it ships.
  ships

rated:
Price is now $359.99

rated:
i have this but it was a 500g hard drive. First thing I did was replace it with a 3tb hard drive, works great. My only complaint is the wifi sucks bad. Constant buffering.

I ahould also note you need a tivo mini if you want to watch on more than 1 tv ($130) and you need a tivo stream if you want to watch stuff on your phone ($130), so it does add up.

rated:

rated:
It's a damn shame MS shelved the planned OTA DVR functionality for the Xbox One. I wonder if they were receiving pressure to do so from DVR manufacturers. I can't imagine it would have been a terribly difficult bit of programming.

rated:
Windows 7 still has built in Media Center that will still DVR OTA. I kept an old PC running Windows 7 just for that purpose. Cheaper to buy a refurb old Dell with Windows 7 for about $100 from microcenter or Newegg. TV guide updates OTA just fine.

rated:
Kirkwan said:   Windows 7 still has built in Media Center that will still DVR OTA. I kept an old PC running Windows 7 just for that purpose. Cheaper to buy a refurb old Dell with Windows 7 for about $100 from microcenter or Newegg.  TV guide updates OTA just fine.
  Tivo can record 4 shows at one time, how many will that $100 win7 refurb record at once?  How does the user interface and reliablity compare?

rated:
Too bad...does not work with cable. This model is antenna only. I guess I will just keep paying the extra $25 to cable provider as Tivo monthly fee is the same $25 anyway.

rated:
View said:   Too bad...does not work with cable. This model is antenna only. I guess I will just keep paying the extra $25 to cable provider as Tivo monthly fee is the same $25 anyway.
  $25? I thought Tivo was $15 currently. Also if you have more than 1 TV then using Tivo Mini's could save a significant amount (since it all uses the CableCard from the main tivo).

rated:
This unit has no monthly fees. Lifetime service is included.

rated:
Check out channel Master OTA DVR as
well.

rated:
Nice cash back !! Thanks op.

rated:
i love the functionality of this.

Set one up for MIL, and i don't have to be tech support..... She figures it all out herself.

could't say that about most windows 7 products.

Wads

rated:
Does anyone think the price will fall more? I have had my eye on one of these

rated:
mcwacko1213 said:   Does anyone think the price will fall more? I have had my eye on one of these
  As soon as I buy one, the price will drop!

rated:
mcwacko1213 said:   Does anyone think the price will fall more? I have had my eye on one of these
  We've seen the 500GB version for $299 in the past, but it's been a while.  I doubt we'll see this one get much better; maybe $10 less over the course of the next few months.  It will save you more than that if you buy it now.

rated:
This price for one with a cable card tuner would be a good deal. OTA, not so much.

rated:
The one from Best Buy doesn't have anything in the description about having lifetime service, or "no monthly fees" - a head's up for anyone looking at that one. I'd double check and make sure before purchase.

We have this model, WITH monthly fees - and it's tempting to pull the trigger. 20 months till break-even.

The coolest feature about this Tivo, IMO - you can create a subscription for a show you like, and the show list will include both recordings and links to streaming sites you've set up (Netflix, Amazon Prime, Hulu). It's great having all my TV content in one list.

rated:
Since my current internet connection is hard wired, and I don't want to run a cable from my office to my living room, can someone recommend a decent router at a decent price?
Does the Tivo wireless take advantage of a dual-band router? Is it "G" or "N"?

rated:
george,
It's N both 2.4 or 5GHz

Other option might check out would be power line adapters.

rated:
Similar to a Magnavox.

Magnavox dvr
Magnavox HD DVR/HDD 1TB with ATSC Tuner:
HD digital twin tuner (analog tuner not included)
The Magnavox DVR/HDD has a record HD broadcasting program
Records up to 1,000 hours of HD contents onto 1TB HDD
Record to HDD, DVD and external HDD
Built-in wireless LAN
The 1TB DVR has a 2nd screen within home network
Download Programs to your mobile device
Free mobile application (iOS and Android)

rated:
tommyy22 said:   george,
It's N both 2.4 or 5GHz

Other option might check out would be power line adapters.

Thanks for the info.  I did look at power line adapters.  They seem to cost around $40/pair, and for a bit more I can get a wireless router.

rated:
Back up to $371.99.

rated:
handyguy said:   Similar to a Magnavox.

Magnavox dvr
Built-in wireless LAN

I didn't see anywhere about an online tv guide?

rated:
voyagerbob said:   
handyguy said:   Similar to a Magnavox.

Magnavox dvr
Built-in wireless LAN

I didn't see anywhere about an online tv guide?

No ​guide, use a website one.

rated:
Now at $373.99

rated:
Back down to $359.95.

rated:
nightowlrn said:   Check out channel Master OTA DVR as
well.

I have been using it for last two years. Gets the job done and the interface is okay - You won't get TiVo interface ease of use, but then you do save a lot of money. A few things that I miss on channel Master DVR

1. Cannot set the recording to start late or end early. You can start early and end Late !!. If I just want to record first 20 mins of a late night show, I cannot do that.
  2. Using youtube sucks - very slow, locks up frequently. I just use roku for that.
  3. No netflix. Again, I use roku for that.
  4. Remote does not use the usual battery AA or AAA. It uses some cell battery.
  5. No wifi - Need to buy additional adapter. I have a ethernet port on the wall so I don't use wifi.

rated:
Now $349.99.

Skipping 4 Messages...
rated:
I have been waiting for Tivo to fix the C423 error between this unit and my series 3 for a month.   OTA no longer even sees the series 3 although the Series 3 can see the OTA and receive programs from the OTA.  Matter is being treated with indiffernece by Tivo.

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017