posted 47 years ago by
echecoparcarter

TP-Link AC5200 Wi-Fi Tri-Band MU-mimo Gigabit Router $219.99 AC at Costco.com

$249 at BestBuy [bestbuy.com]

$249 at Newegg [newegg.com]

Views
6 Comments
Add Comment
Powerful yet simple. Doesn't look hateful or like some alien spider. Better signal range from my old device. Plenty of configuration options. I like the web-based interface.

Thanks for sharing. I just going to buy a new one for this. One problem, should I backup? Easy to lost setting??

anneklatt said:   Thanks for sharing. I just going to buy a new one for this. One problem, should I backup? Easy to lost setting??
  I'm a little confused by your question. 

1. Are you asking if you should do regular backups of you router settings?
  2. Are you asking if you can migrate your old settings to the new router with a backup?

If you are asking about doing regular backups I would only backup after my initial setup or after I made a lot of changes.  It's a good idea to have a backup  in case you need to reset the router for any reason.  It also helps if you mess up some settings and don't want a full reset.

Unsolicited advice: I always divide device settings backups into a folder for each device.  I put the name of the device in the file name to help with searches. I use dates in the following format as part of the name.  year-month-day example TP-Link_AC5200_2015-08-18.bin.  It makes it easier to see the order of the backups.    I also put something to reference what I changed in the file name after the date if it will be useful.  You can put a similarly named  text file in the folder with the backup if you made a ton of changes and might need a reference.

I save backups to cloud storage or at the very least a usb drive.  I compress and encrypt off site backups.  I prefer off site backup in case of fire or other disaster.  That could even mean leaving a Thumb drive at a trusted family members.  Also you may not be using the same PC you are now so you don't want to be in the position of looking for a backup in another backup. 

Does this router have a much stronger wifi range, signal, and speed than the Netgear AC2600 R7800? I recently purchased (within the return period) the Netgear (which is the same price but a AC 2600 vs TP-Link one which is AC 5200). So if OP is superior for the same price I may return my Netgear for this one. Any thoughts ?

ashish1t said:   Does this router have a much stronger wifi range, signal, and speed than the Netgear AC2600 R7800? I recently purchased (within the return period) the Netgear (which is the same price but a AC 2600 vs TP-Link one which is AC 5200). So if OP is superior for the same price I may return my Netgear for this one. Any thoughts ?

The TP-Link is superior as it has 3-bands for coverage (2 at 5ghz, and 1 at 2.4ghz). Now that is great and all, but that is only half the equation. You need to have a wireless receiver that can take advantage of all that, otherwise you will be waiting for tech to include that extra speed in their chips. The Netgear should have the ability to put DD-WRT on it, and for me that would be me choose that.

also are people that just post spam-like comments? marry-rose above's comment seems like a review that was made to satisfy a character requirement. What router doesn't have a web-based interface?

MeIsCheap said:   
ashish1t said:   Does this router have a much stronger wifi range, signal, and speed than the Netgear AC2600 R7800? I recently purchased (within the return period) the Netgear (which is the same price but a AC 2600 vs TP-Link one which is AC 5200). So if OP is superior for the same price I may return my Netgear for this one. Any thoughts ?

The TP-Link is superior as it has 3-bands for coverage (2 at 5ghz, and 1 at 2.4ghz). Now that is great and all, but that is only half the equation. You need to have a wireless receiver that can take advantage of all that, otherwise you will be waiting for tech to include that extra speed in their chips. The Netgear should have the ability to put DD-WRT on it, and for me that would be me choose that.

A while back Costco offered the Netgear Nighthawk X6 AC3000 R7900 for $200. The R7900 also operates in three bands (1 @ 2.4GHz and 2 @ 5GHz).  The advantage of the TP-Link and the R7900 is that you use the 2.4GHz band to accommodate older devices and to reach the furthest parts of your abode.  The two 5 GHz bands have a shorter distance coverage but are faster. (Most newer devices support IEEE802.11ac). Not too many devices use the MU-mimo protocol so best use at this time is to divvy-up/assign your devices to separate 5GHz channels to maximize available bandwidth.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2016