Great deal, its $119 on the TomTom website.  One of my older models, when I was trying to get the latest free USA map, got a pop up saying  it would no longer fit, and this model had no memory card slot to add memory. The only solution was to download (in my case) a regional southeast USA map. I did not want that. If I do a cross country travel I don't want to be downloading regions, so I emailed TomTom and kinda expressed disappointment. No questions asked they sent a $25 code for a new model G0 60 direct from TomTom. Well, it crapped out at the worst time in LA, all of a sudden it said battery power low, so it was not taking a charge no matter what. Under warranty sent the unit to them and received a new one in a week.

Check out the recent negative reviews on Amazon. Maybe TomTom is trying to unload these?

I'm surprised there is still much of a market for these stand-alone GPS units. Even truckers and traveling salespeople I know use their smartphones mounted to the dash as their GPS. My parents-in-law in their 70s are the only people I know that still use a GPS unit like this because they have classic flip phones.

frett said:   Check out the recent negative reviews on Amazon.  Maybe TomTom is trying to unload these?

I'm surprised there is still much of a market for these stand-alone GPS units. Even truckers and traveling salespeople I know use their smartphones mounted to the dash as their GPS. My parents-in-law in their 70s are the only people I know that still use a GPS unit like this because they have classic flip phones.

There will always be demand for stand-alone GPS units. These units have larger antennas than the antennas in the phone which allows better tracking in dense foliage areas as well as adverse weather conditions. Plus it's good to have one as part of emergency supply because Google maps may not work properly at all if there are no signal due to down cell towers.

As an alternative, and admittedly for 50% greater cost and refurbished, I would recommend the Garmin Nuvi 2598LMTHD for $119.  Voice navigation, bluetooth, and lifetime "HD" traffic.  If you NEED a GPS, you need the best one you can afford.  I have the 6" model similar to this one and have used it for about a year.  Even traveling daily routes, it updates me with construction and traffic.  I choose not to dual-purpose my smartphone because it leads to more fiddling with it while driving.

yacheapbastard said:   Great deal, its $119 on the TomTom website.  One of my older models, when I was trying to get the latest free USA map, got a pop up saying  it would no longer fit, and this model had no memory card slot to add memory. The only solution was to download (in my case) a regional southeast USA map. I did not want that. If I do a cross country travel I don't want to be downloading regions, so I emailed TomTom and kinda expressed disappointment. No questions asked they sent a $25 code for a new model G0 60 direct from TomTom. Well, it crapped out at the worst time in LA, all of a sudden it said battery power low, so it was not taking a charge no matter what. Under warranty sent the unit to them and received a new one in a week.

How do you like your new model versus this old one? I had a 1615 model which died on me. I did love the GPS - apart from voice input, it was great.

frett said:   Check out the recent negative reviews on Amazon.  Maybe TomTom is trying to unload these?

Try using a cell phone when 4x4ing on the Titus Canyon Trail in Death Valley NP or Shafer trail in Canyonlands or the Apache Trail in Arizona or....perhaps you get the picture now. Its not always about finding the way to a new restaurant or a country fair

Never realized how nice my older Tom Tom was since it had the traffic receiver and would reroute on the fly. My new Tom Tom does not have that and constantly tries to take me on closed/ under construction roads, which is a real pain. Traffic receiver is like 50 bucks extra. Google maps and apple maps won't work if you don't have service. Any other good navagation apps that use only GPS signal and not data?

Haven't updated my old Tom Tom. But can these be hacked? Although they now come with lifetime maps, I'd like a couple to add some funny voices...

For longer road trips I use it in addition to Waze. Also, when going into Canada, no data there...

Once in a while, Waze would throw a fit and would not update or not get data. So TomTom can be a nice backup unit. That said, I would get a unit with lifetime maps and traffic.

I would just use my phone but my old Nuvi 220 keeps accepting new maps that I PLUNDER so it keeps on rolling...arrrr

starchpoodle said:   Never realized how nice my older Tom Tom was since it had the traffic receiver and would reroute on the fly. My new Tom Tom does not have that and constantly tries to take me on closed/ under construction roads, which is a real pain. Traffic receiver is like 50 bucks extra. Google maps and apple maps won't work if you don't have service. Any other good navagation apps that use only GPS signal and not data?
  I believe you can download the maps and take them off line with google maps now

laidbacklarkin said:   

Try using a cell phone when 4x4ing on the Titus Canyon Trail in Death Valley NP or Shafer trail in Canyonlands or the Apache Trail in Arizona or....perhaps you get the picture now. Its not always about finding the way to a new restaurant or a country fair

I'd venture to say around 99% of people don't go off roading in death valley.

nomonies said:     I'd venture to say around 99% of people don't go off roading in death valley.

There are a lot of places where the cell phones don't work or don't work well. For anybody driving around enjoying national parks, scenic roads etc., GPS is a must.

I use HERE WeGO when there is no cell signal.

You don't have to have a cell phone signal to use the GPS in a smartphone.

noapathy said:   You don't have to have a cell phone signal to use the GPS in a smartphone.
  Did you hear abbreviation AGPS? take a look what does mean assisted gps  

people still use garmins and tomtoms?

sidewinder33625 said:   people still use garmins and tomtoms?
  yes we do, it has its own convenience. I use TomTom GO 500 for its live traffic. It gets its traffic data via my cell phone.
I really love  the capacitive screen. It has been running fine for over three years now. Get a new map every quarter.

The only people I know who use phones for navigation are : Pokémon Go College kids who think anything on a phone is 'cool' or people who are too cheap to buy a unit that is far superior in signal.

I finally sold my old stand-alone Garmin GPS last month before it became completely obsolete. I had barely used it in years, anyway - my Android with Google Maps is light years easier to use. It seems to work fine as a basic GPS when there is no cell service. I don't care if it's not accurate to the foot or not.

480x272, holy crap, I thought 4k is new standard

There will always be demand for stand-alone GPS units. These units have larger antennas than the antennas in the phone which allows better tracking in dense foliage areas as well as adverse weather conditions. Plus it's good to have one as part of emergency supply because Google maps may not work properly at all if there are no signal due to down cell towers.

YES!  My phone failed me on a trip but the GPS unit I kept in the glove compartment saved the day !!

There are certainly some good reasons to use a GPS unit. But many people do not realize you do not need a cell signal to use the GPS receiver on your cell phone, depending on the mapping app you use. To use the GPS without a wireless signal the maps must be pre-loaded and that can take up storage space and use up data. In addition, the battery will be drained much more quickly with a smartphone GPS because they use AGPS.

As a side note, AGPS is quicker when getting your initial location, but it is not as accurate as GPS. In other words, a standalone GPS unit and a phone without cell coverage will be roughly the same in accuracy. A lot can depend on the chipset used by the phone, too.

Love the updated features. Don't like that it comes on automatically when the car is turned on and turns itself off when the car I'd turned off with noway to chug that.

I've owned three TomTom GPS units and really liked them. I kept one with my daughter who had a bad habbit of getting lost. I probably have not turned one on in two years. The maps and directions on the smart phones get better and better. I am a big WAZE fan and Knight. I probably need to update my last TomTom and give it to my Mom. I think older folks 65+ are the primary stand alone users now along with people who go way off road with no cell signal.

Cheers

Do Best buy and Amazon have different versions? The one in BB seems to have traffic but the one in Amazon doesn't seem so. Am I the only one who notices this?

so i used my phone. Then got out of the car. Put back in my destination a few times. Great trip.
Used up 50+% of my data for the month on that one trip.
 If i had several places to go i wouldnt have had the data needed.
 So ... NO ... not everybody uses their phones all the time.

owenscott said:   so i used my phone. Then got out of the car. Put back in my destination a few times. Great trip.

Next time, download the maps ahead of time on WiFi.  Then turn off your mobile data while driving - you won't need it for the GPS.

brmail said:   
noapathy said:   You don't have to have a cell phone signal to use the GPS in a smartphone.
  Did you hear abbreviation AGPS? take a look what does mean assisted gps  

AGPS uses the cellular network to speed up the fix.   I believe the cellular system among other things populates the gps satellite almanac ephemeris data, and gives very rough position so the receiver does not have to hunt and download.   Regardless a smart phone can absolutely accurately fix its position without a cellular signal.   I do it all the time on aircraft.   My recent vintage Motorolas get a fix and maintain it on commercial aircraft better than any Garmin I have had.  (my Samsung phones did not).  They don't track log or do some other fun stuff the Garmin Hiking units did, but functionally do about anything the Car units do.   

Further programs like Here Maps you can download mapsets just like Garmin and TomTom use.   These route and have functions just like the stand alone receivers.   You can download states, countries into the memory of the phone or SD card and run these programs without cellular or wifi access.   

I have an expensive built in GPS in my car and generally use google maps to navigate when I have Cellular Data access and Here when I don't.   Additionally, If I travel outside of the US where I don't have DATA or it costs a lot, Here Maps works great.   

Now you can buy fairly nice cell phones quite inexpensively.   Most people have an old one in a drawer.   Even inactivated, you can still use them as a good gps.   The better GPS units are a bit more rugged, but an old phone with Here Maps or downloaded Google Map Sections is darn close to free.

ahallfatwallett said:   
owenscott said:   so i used my phone. Then got out of the car. Put back in my destination a few times. Great trip.

Next time, download the maps ahead of time on WiFi.  Then turn off your mobile data while driving - you won't need it for the GPS.

Look im here .. so i like cheap. But at some point its not worth it to be cheapo when time and aggravation is on the line on a vacation.
I know i can DL the trip when im home (i know that now) but what do i do if i have 8 different mini trips i want to do when i get there and three other trips i didnt even know id need to do when i get to my vacation destination.
 And ...
 That is provided i have the room on my phone since i cheeped out and got the 16gb model.
 So yeah ... a stand alone still provides an important part in my life and just might help others here also.
PS my first gps cost almost $1600 in 2005.

I received mine from BB and .... it actually doesn't have traffic. Just FYI.

yacheapbastard said:   
  The only people I know who use phones for navigation are : Pokémon Go College kids who think anything on a phone is 'cool' or people who are too cheap to buy a unit that is far superior in signal.

I have a TomTom.  It's sitting in a drawer somewhere.  Haven't used it in two years.  Waze is far superior, routing is at least as good, realtime traffic is far better.  Granted, I don't spend a lot of time on rural roads deep in Harlan County, but it works 99.9% of the time.

Also, I find Waze uses less than 10MB of data per hour of driving.  Even if I didn't have unlimited data, wouldn't be a burden. 

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2016