posted 47 years ago by
JDdoc
Enthusiastic Member

The main part of the deal is that the current BMW NA incentive is $5500 (up from no incentive at launch, $1500 earlier, then $3500) for leases.  Additional 9-10% dealer discount off MSRP is very likely. 

The above lease $ from BMW NA stacks with the dealer discount off MSRP and other discounts including the BMW loyalty discount, student discount, USAA, military discount, likely others that are good for $1-2k additional.   Multiple security deposits (x7) that will bring down the money factor to 0.00088 (2.1% implied interest rate) - not available in every state - for example NJ yes NY no.

That said, the incentives will get you into a car with MSRP of about 67k for ~$500 / month + tax.  After the incentives went up, inventory is getting very scarce nationwide.  My general calculation is that a 3 year lease 12k miles is a good deal if the monthly payment (no money down ex taxes) is <1% of the MSRP.

This may be due to some federal money to BMW for electric vehicles (though the battery here is so small it may not qualify).  More likely BMW needs to sell some cars with a high claimed mpg to avoid penalties.

Either way, if you are in the market for a 5200lb luxury german SUV, this is a good deal.

My salesman is Elvis at Prestige BMW in Ramsey NJ.  He is a straightforward person as is the sales manager.  About 30 minutes total from start to finish on this deal.  Doubters can check my other posts, I'm not a newbie.

Views
37 Comments
Add Comment
It's been over 30 mins and not a single Crown Vic post?

Congrats on the new car JDdoc.

Thanks DiMan

Almost miss the old days of the trolls here. Hope those who *care* haven't moved on to SD after we became ebates...

Nice. Thinking of getting one.
How much down and what package came with the car for $520/month

TIA

What'd you put down? 0, aside from the security deposits?

selling my 2013 x5 35d for 26k usd certified bmw.

I just searched again and actually found some, heading to dealer to see what numbers would run

Down for me was just the security deposits.  No money toward cap cost reduction.  Also have to pay destination / tags / delivery fees as usual dealer profit margin.

I think the actual MSRP was $67500.  I didn't have much of a choice of cars so I didn't get picky on options but it has the backup cam, premium pkg and cold weather...

The options I most care about (bluetooth, nav) are standard...

It does seem that at least some dealers are going to be quite aggressive on this model... so you may be able to beat my deal by $40-50 / month realistically with a bit of work (finding a car with a slightly lower MSRP or one on a dealer lot)

IMO all BMW's look outdated. They need to update the exterior big time.

I just saw a commercial for 529 with 5k down

Thumbs up for Prestige Motors....

Haven't driven the e40 but d35 has so much torque, and mileage was decent.

Decent deal but not a fan of the X5 40e compared to the GLE PHEV and the XC90 PHEV.  Both are better vehicles.  I own an XC90 T8 Inscription PHEV and it's to be a lot easier on the eyes inside and out and just feels newer.  The X5 looks and feels like it's 2010 because it was designed in the last 2000s.

I'm a car guy, so that kinda stuff bothers me.  Plus, no Apple Car Play in the X5 yet.  That's a deal breaker for me.

It would be helpful if you posted a generalized rate sheet, because I just went to two different BMW dealerships, and they couldn't even remotely get in the neighborhood of where you're at, especially with no money down.

Post a line item of what discounts you got....

MSRP 67500
Sale price 60900 (or thereabouts - forgot the exact number but it was under 61k)  it was about 9% off the MSRP as I calculated it on the way home.
6500 in lease cash (I think the loyalty should have been $2k but they gave me $1k + the $5500)
MF as posted .00088 after 7 MSD
residual as set by BMWNA is 58% 12k / 36

if you're not getting close, there are 1 of 3 problems - #1 - you are running numbers on a car with a significantly higher MSRP (each 1k in cost is about $30 on the payment.  #2 - the dealer you contacted isn't willing to get down to a reasonable sale price (the usual general german car markup is 7.5% to invoice) - I'm not sure any dealer will give you their "real" best price over the phone.  For me, it always takes some actual seat time at the dealer to get to the acceptable sale price.  #3 you aren't getting any other incentive - which really only affects the payment by about $30.

If you run the numbers at invoice with multiple security deposits only and the $5500 lease cash, you are at 500-580 depending on MSRP.  The BMWUSA site deal is much worse because it doesn't take into account any dealer discounting.  My experience that some BMW dealers are selling this car below invoice is part of why I posted.  

Most of the cars left over are high invoice (67k or higher) moderately or heavily optioned cars so the discount of 9% on a car that is loaded is in my experience very doable for a model they want to move.  My actual deal was for $499 / month + taxes but I didn't want to overstate the deal as not everyone gets the loyalty cash etc...

This was for the 2016 models? I am in the works of pulling the trigger with my sales guy on a 2017, but now with these numbers in hand I might go back and see if I can get a better deal.

Good price on i3 lease probably due to EV govt. mandates. See below for my research:

Thanks for getting back to me. I am inclined to say no on the fees haha but in reality a lot of it very negotiable to help you put less money down. Mainly though, because it is so different from other EVs I want to make sure you're comfortable with the car. Can you stop by this weekend for a quick test drive? I could go over a few of the features and benefits with you, and later we can talk about the leasing options if you like it.

I usually buy cars in cash, but that seems like a great lease monthly price.

I looked at the terms online and here's what I saw below:

Q: Is the $2,500.00 down payment + $925.00 acquisition fee negotiable? What would I owe at exit?

. Lease financing available on new 2016 BMW i3 Range Extender from participating BMW centers on leases assigned to BMW Financial Services through September 5, 2016. Monthly lease payments of $199.00 for 36 months based on MSRP of $47,245.00. $3,624.00 cash due at signing is based on $2,500.00 down payment, $199.00 first month payment, $925.00 acquisition fee, and $.00 security deposit (not all customers will qualify for security deposit waiver). Tax, title, license, registration and dealer fees are additional fees due at signing.
Program available from participating BMW dealers to eligible, qualified customers with excellent credit history who meet BMW Financial Services credit requirements. Payments do not include applicable taxes. All figures presented are examples only. Actual MSRP may vary. Lessee responsible for insurance during the lease term and any excess wear and tear as defined in the lease contract, $0.25/mile over 10,000 miles per year and a disposition fee of $350 at lease end.
Purchase option at lease end (excluding tax, title, and other government fees) is $30,709.00. Offer valid through September 5, 2016 and may be combined with other offers unless otherwise stated.
Qualified rate lock applicants must take delivery within 60 days of initial lock. $7,500 Lease Credit is a credit against the MSRP on the lease of a i3 Range Extender. All Credits valid through September 5, 2016. Credits may be combined with other offers unless otherwise stated. Visit your authorized BMW center for important details. Models pictured in advertisements may be shown with metallic paint and/or additional equipment. All 2016 BMW Passenger Cars & Light Trucks come standard with the BMW Maintenance Program for up to 4 years or 50,000 miles, whichever comes first, and begins on the original in-service date. For model year 2015 or later vehicles sold or leased by an authorized BMW center on or after July 1, 2014, BMW Maintenance Program coverage is not transferable to subsequent purchasers, owners, or lessees. Please see www.bmwusa.com/UltimateCare or ask your authorized BMW center for details. ©2016 BMW of North America, LLC. The BMW name, model names and logo are registered trademarks.

wrote:________________________________________________________________
> I haven't found a preowned EV for you in that price range, BUT - I
> have an alternative if you'd consider it. They're leasing new i3s for
> crazy cheap right now. Like $150/mo. Here:
> http://www.chapmanbmwoncamelback.com/bmw-lease-offers.asp 

freshpl said:   selling my 2013 x5 35d for 26k usd certified bmw.
  Let the new owner deal with the expensive TLC.

Lease items? Very interesting.

$652/month equivalent after $3500 down payment and $920 acq fee.  (+ sales tax). 
Reminds me of a salesman I once had that actually told me I could lower my payment by just putting more money down!

exmiuwu said:   

have you owned one?  I have been surprised over the years to find BMW cost to repair is less than Toyota, Lexus, VW, Audi, Subaru, and often Mazda.  Even find oil change for $79.95 which covers the whole year.

wackyrabbit said:   
exmiuwu said:   

have you owned one?  I have been surprised over the years to find BMW cost to repair is less than Toyota, Lexus, VW, Audi, Subaru, and often Mazda.  Even find oil change for $79.95 which covers the whole year.

If you have a Bimmer and have lower than all those other brands' repair bills then consider yourself very lucky.  

https://www.yourmechanic.com/article/the-most-and-least-expensiv...

Lease, don't hang onto any BMW post warranty.  And that is from personal experience with 2/3/5 series.  

Congrats to the OP for him getting this deal, but I doubt anyone else is going to be able to even come close. This deal only works if you get a $7000 off msrp/sale price before getting all the discounts. I'd be interested in hearing from people on west coast if they got anything remotely similar to OP. This is a huge YMMV. I was laughed out of both BMW dealerships in Seattle region when I went in yesterday.

wackyrabbit said:   
exmiuwu said:   

1. BMW tends to roll the first few years of maintenance into the sale price, so it seems like maintenance is cheap
2. BMW recommends changing your oil every 15,000, so you're paying for it much less often.  If you aren't changing it twice that often, the car will be a huge pile of crap in five years.

There's a reason I can buy a six year old BMW for 85% off of MSRP.

why lease this when you could get a crown vic?  i have a 2004 crown vic with 155,000 miles on it.  bought it for $16,000 in 2005.  no problems at all.  cheap to own and drive.  the thing is built like a tank.  with 155,000 miles, it's just getting broken in.  and my kids think its awesome.

supersnoop00 said:   
wackyrabbit said:   
exmiuwu said:   

1. BMW tends to roll the first few years of maintenance into the sale price, so it seems like maintenance is cheap
2. BMW recommends changing your oil every 15,000, so you're paying for it much less often.  If you aren't changing it twice that often, the car will be a huge pile of crap in five years.

Please. Find me a 2011 750Li for $15k. That is a 6 year old car.  

king0fSpades said:   
supersnoop00 said:   
wackyrabbit said:   
exmiuwu said:   

I can find a 2010 760Li for $30k. I guess that's closer to 80% of MSRP. 

There's a reason they have to discount this car.

My experience with modern BMWs is that you will spend lots of time at the dealership. All cars seem to have terrible electronics nowadays, but BMWs are worst than most. I think it took 3 visits to get my 528i charging system working. My 550i was a regular at multiple dealerships.

At least BMW dealers have great service. They get lots of practice, though.

NukeMedDude said:   Congrats to the OP for him getting this deal, but I doubt anyone else is going to be able to even come close. This deal only works if you get a $7000 off msrp/sale price before getting all the discounts. I'd be interested in hearing from people on west coast if they got anything remotely similar to OP. This is a huge YMMV. I was laughed out of both BMW dealerships in Seattle region when I went in yesterday.
  Try this site:

https://amexnetwork.truecar.com/main.html

I'm seeing discounts off MSRP inline with what the OP posted. This deal seems reasonable, if I liked BMWs I'd grab this.

Get a lot info here. Lol

jsimon7777 said:   There's a reason they have to discount this car.

My experience with modern BMWs is that you will spend lots of time at the dealership. All cars seem to have terrible electronics nowadays, but BMWs are worst than most. I think it took 3 visits to get my 528i charging system working. My 550i was a regular at multiple dealerships.

At least BMW dealers have great service. They get lots of practice, though.

I have a big fam and am a big car nut.  And I take cars apart, new and old, just for the fun of it.  I attribute most of BMW (and Benz) problems to bad electrical, starting with using cheap components (very cheap capacitors for instance) and very lousy weather shield around connectors.  If you have BMW from within the last 10 years, you may have already experienced many electrical and switch/sensor with your HVAC, drive systems, gadgets, etc...  Common excuse is the adaption of recyclable materials and so many extra switches/sensors in cars, but comparing to a Toyota Prius (I have a 2007 which is also made with lots of recyclable materials except the big battery, and lots of sensors and switches), just about every connector in a 2007 Prius is locked (has tab) and extra insulated (with rubber, vinyl or some plastic material).  They are a pain to remove, but, you very very seldom will see a Toyota Prius with a non-working lights or electrical.  And whatever electrical problem on it is related to its aging 12V battery which is a consumable item.  

This level of attention to detail is not cheap.  All these extra insulation/protection on every connector is costly, and ones engineers will overlook when cars are leased (just have to be good for first 3-4 years).  

I am not hating on German cars.  This same cheapening of cars happens on even new Toyotas (current Camry's, Corolla's, Tacoma's), Nissan (last gen Altima), Honda (current Civic, Ody, CRV).  These are the cars I tore into personally and can tell you their electrical are not going to last 10+ years like early 2000's models, and not going to last 20+ years like their 90's models.  There are just so much more to go bad, and using cheap components and no weather proofing them is the reason.  

The only new car I tore into that still has high level of attention to detail is Toyota Landcruiser and Landcruiser Prado (4Runner equivalent).  Just about every place is sealed for water/sand protection.  This is serious engineering.  

Sorry to hijack x5 discussion.  I do love driving x5 35d and its gobs of torque, and I suspect having electrical motors in this 40e will make it a fun machine for the duration of the lease.  Just don't buy it expecting it to be as trouble free and cheap to own.  As for me, my next car will be a 4Runner as I am a drive till wheels fall off person, and old enough to say that it will be my last car.  

id rather have a crown vic.,if you get in an accident you just hose it off..

supersnoop00 said:   
king0fSpades said:   
supersnoop00 said:   
wackyrabbit said:   
exmiuwu said:   

That is 7 year old. 2010 car is put in service in 2009.  Sorry. 

supersnoop00 said:   

If you find one, leave it where it is.  Nothing good can come from owning a V12 BMW outside of its warranty period. 

My BMW X6M broke and BMW couldn't fix it, literally just kept getting a check engine signal all the time for many months. It progressed into the engine power cut in half and not running right at all, for no real reason. I did a lot of research and the X5 / X6 are built on an older platform and they keep adding new technology and redoing the front / rear bumpers but it's essentially the same car perpetually. That doesn't mean this isn't a good deal for a $67 K but this car isn't worth anywhere near that kind of money.

I don't trust BMW at all right now and if you try to trade any car in, you immediately get the dreaded airbag complaint from the cars they have parked out back. This is every BMW dealer, so just beware. Mercedes GLE / GLE AMG Coupe for about $75,000 minus discounts is a much better car & worth every dime of that money. There's no airbag issues and besides a few reprograms on the stop / start, the car is a dream (and looks fantastic).

Goodluck with BMW right now, so make sure your local dealer is well stocked with loaners because you'll be in one soon. I personally won't be back anytime soon, even the 3 series hybrid as my other car is perpetually breaking but that's another story, BMW doesn't know what they are doing.

tgersinthewhhouse said:   id rather have a crown vic.,if you get in an accident you just hose it off..
  You knew this was coming, LOL.

Anyways, the cars are safe.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2016