• 1GB RAM
  • 8GB internal storage plus up to 128GB microSD
  • 8MP camera
  • 2500 mAh battery
  • Locked to Cricket Wireless

Views
38 Comments
Add Comment
My wife's is starting to act up, but I'm wondering if the Cricket one is as easy to unlock as the AT&T one is? I thought I read that it was not.

From previous post, it doesn't seem to be unlockable with ATT services. If anyone was successful, please inform us.

It's locked to Cricket.
I have not been able to get it unlocked for use with T-mo

You have to have active service with them for a period of time before Cricket will unlock. Something like 6 months, maybe more. Can't remember from the last thread a while back.

Cricket will unlock phones immediately IF you're on their $70 "Unlimited" plan.

Cricket is owed by AT&T so their phones work on the same network & are interchangeable. Just pop in your SIM & go.

What's this good for other than being used as a phone?

DarthEnol said:   Cricket will unlock phones immediately IF you're on their $70 "Unlimited" plan.
  that's definitely not true...

My 640
Disclaimer
serenity22 said:   What's this good for other than being used as a phone?
  Makes great radio, mp3 player  document reader  and GPS
Plus connects to any computer at work which is locked down and prevents Iphone/Android  apps from installing

My 640 is unlocked, the built in radio requires headphones for the antenae

Because of the building and I like headphones instead of earphones. I added antennas to improve reception.  it is a 6 way splitter
Draw back is Blue tooth will not connect with the radio

Thanks much.
Not sure:
- how to use as GPS
- how it prevents iPhone/Android apps from installing, and what is the advantage of that
- if it needs to be unlocked to be used as a radio

You can be kind, or you can point me to Google like many do.

screen shot of my 640 apps
Disclaimer
serenity22 said:   Thanks much.
Not sure:
- how to use as GPS
- how it prevents iPhone/Android apps from installing, and what is the advantage of that

Unlocked from original carrier, not active on any carrier
Radio works without cell/or wifi  it is a built in receiver
The computers at work are locked down.  for security we can not install any program
My phone came with win 8.1  I upgraded to win 10   
We do not have access to wifi at work...
Sorry left out GPS
It is built in like any other phone,  use Here app,  waze  or any GPS/map program you like
I added a pic of the apps I use on it.  If you store Insurance information on it  you can always show it to a cop since it does not have a history of phone calls or messages

I use mine as a portable music player on my motorcycle - linked to my helmet BT system. It also has a decent offline map application. (HERE)

You can set it to grab open wifi and it will update itself when it can. (mine can hit my home wifi from where I park my bike)

anonguy said:   My wife's is starting to act up, but I'm wondering if the Cricket one is as easy to unlock as the AT&T one is? I thought I read that it was not.
  Wait a few days it'll be over - my wife's the same.

hawk311 said:   
DarthEnol said:   Cricket will unlock phones immediately IF you're on their $70 "Unlimited" plan.
  that's definitely not true...

No?  Maybe you can't figure out how to do it, but, yes, it's true.  

http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php/1882520-New-cricket-u...

"40, 50, 60 plan remains the same. 6 months with device and active service. FOR THE 70 plan AND IF YOU PAY FULL ACTIVATION FEE, cricket will waive the 6 month rule and unlock right away. THAT means you will have to purchase from a store with activation fee."

^^That's from an actual Cricket dealer. 

My receipt says "activation successful". What does that mean?
Is that a hindrance to attempting an AT&T unlock? It's rejecting the IMEI outright as a non-AT&T device. No opportunity to get to the 2nd step to get rejected (or accepted).

https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/request/#/unlockstep1

serenity22 said:   My receipt says "activation successful". What does that mean?
Is that a hindrance to attempting an AT&T unlock? It's rejecting the IMEI outright as a non-AT&T device. No opportunity to get to the 2nd step to get rejected (or accepted).

https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/request/#/unlockstep1

It falls under Cricket  not AT&T   You can use it for the features and for wifi  unless you can get someone at Cricket to unlock.  But based on other posts  it may be difficult

Not sure:
- how to use as GPS

Load Here maps on it and Here Drive. You can then download the map(s) you need of your area and the GPS works totally offline, no data needed. Without activating just do it all over Wi-Fi. On Win 8.1 it will only save maps to the phone. If you update it to Win 10 it will give you the option of saving maps to SD card. The whole US is around 4.3 GB. If you stick with 8.1 and want to travel somewhere outside of your home area just download what you need so you don't use up all of the memory. Very handy if you travel to areas where the data coverage is spotty or non-existant.

Nice phone for the price, too bad it isn't as easy to unlock for T-Mobile use as the AT&T version.

My son has had two of these, he loves them. I used one for a while, and liked it a lot. I used WP for a couple of years, and it is still my favorite mobile OS. If it weren't for two issues I would still be using it. There were a couple of apps that just weren't available on WP, and it is getting hard to find a new mid range WP phone that works properly on T-Mobile. The entry level WP phones are terrific, but I have gotten to a point where I am just not willing to sacrifice stuff like a camera flash.

Too bad cricket paygo finished. Cheapest alternative seems to be AT&T paygo @$100 for one year...ZERO data though.
Or pay to unlock, then head on over to xda to debrand & flash Tmo ROM, enabling band 12...$3 monthly pay as you go.
FYI freedom pop no go on windows.

spdracer5g said:   Nice phone for the price, too bad it isn't as easy to unlock for T-Mobile use as the AT&T version.

My son has had two of these, he loves them. I used one for a while, and liked it a lot. I used WP for a couple of years, and it is still my favorite mobile OS. If it weren't for two issues I would still be using it. There were a couple of apps that just weren't available on WP, and it is getting hard to find a new mid range WP phone that works properly on T-Mobile. The entry level WP phones are terrific, but I have gotten to a point where I am just not willing to sacrifice stuff like a camera flash.

At xda they've debranded, flashed Tmo ROM, enabled band 12, and even updated to win 10... which Tmo refused to do. 
But requires unlock first. 

what is the lowest cost of taking prepaid connection from Cricket.

chubbypops said:   
Not sure:
- how to use as GPS

Load Here maps on it and Here Drive. You can then download the map(s) you need of your area and the GPS works totally offline, no data needed. Without activating just do it all over Wi-Fi. On Win 8.1 it will only save maps to the phone. If you update it to Win 10 it will give you the option of saving maps to SD card. The whole US is around 4.3 GB. If you stick with 8.1 and want to travel somewhere outside of your home area just download what you need so you don't use up all of the memory. Very handy if you travel to areas where the data coverage is spotty or non-existant.

Google is not playing nice in my search for HERE. This is what I found: Confused! What's my next step?

serenity22 said:   
chubbypops said:   
Not sure:
- how to use as GPS

Google is not playing nice in my search for HERE. This is what I found: Confused! What's my next step?

Here killed the app for Windows  only critical updates will be available   http://www.windowscentral.com/here-apps-will-no-longer-be-availa... you might try waze  search windows store for it

... or just use the built-in Maps app in Windows 10, which works fine.

They make great wireless IP security cameras.
1080p recording, just use a separate infrared light for night.
Just keep powered on with a usb power supply.
Connect to PC dvr over wireless lan.
128 gb SD card backup if power or network goes down.

How to Build a Security Camera Network Out Of Old Smartphones 

Win IP Phone software

ghoshdd said:   what is the lowest cost of taking prepaid connection from Cricket.
  $25 month. 
AT&T has pay as you go. 

Can you use AT&T pay as you go in cricket cell phone? How?

You can use locked AT&T phones on Cricket, but not the reverse.

People need to check out howardforums.com.

DarthEnol said:   You can use locked AT&T phones on Cricket, but not the reverse.

My local corporate AT&T did it willingly, just for the top up amount... with no mention of having had to unlock. 

My local corporate Cricket will unlock  someone else's phone when they want to port over. 

Personal experience. 
Few will turn down the chance to make money.   

acquavallo said:   
DarthEnol said:   You can use locked AT&T phones on Cricket, but not the reverse.

My local corporate AT&T did it willingly, just for the top up amount... with no mention of having had to unlock. 

My local corporate Cricket will unlock  someone else's phone when they want to port over. 

Personal experience. 
Few will turn down the chance to make money.   

That's good to know.  Thanks.

I would use it as a navigator for $20. Nokia's navigation is probably the best.

serenity22 said:   
chubbypops said:   
Not sure:
- how to use as GPS

Google is not playing nice in my search for HERE. This is what I found: Confused! What's my next step?

I guess it still shows in the store for me because I have used it for a couple of years. When I search for it in the app store it comes up and says "owned" next to it. I don't think there is a huge difference in the Microsoft Maps app.

Do their phones come with a sim because i am getting a phone shipped in but the sim cost 10 bucks i might as well get a phone as a spare if it comes with a sim.

My guess is that its not consistent due to network codes.  If you are in a legacy Cricket market then their codes are active, but if you are in a market where they don't have any legacy equipment then you are going to be on AT&T whether they tell you or not.

So I don't see where Cricket would sell a handset that did not have both networks unlocked since they don't know which is going to be used.  It is a function of how they built the handset and to some extent what coding they use on the SIMs and how they interact.  Quite a few US carriers have multiple active codes.

chubbypops said:   
serenity22 said:   
chubbypops said:   
Not sure:
- how to use as GPS

I guess it still shows in the store for me because I have used it for a couple of years. When I search for it in the app store it comes up and says "owned" next to it. I don't think there is a huge difference in the Microsoft Maps app.

So I should look for it on the phone and not on the laptop?

EvolvingGST said:   Do their phones come with a sim because i am getting a phone shipped in but the sim cost 10 bucks i might as well get a phone as a spare if it comes with a sim.

It comes with a cricket wireless sim.

serenity22 said:   
chubbypops said:   
serenity22 said:   
chubbypops said:   
Not sure:
- how to use as GPS

So I should look for it on the phone and not on the laptop?

Sorry, I just saw this, but yes, go to the store from your phone.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017