posted 47 years ago by
websta
Addicted Member

If I still lived in California, I'd totally grab this. So jealous. 

Saves $400+

About: http://www.ocregister.com/articles/disney-727702-california-adventure.html 

Link to Buy: http://www.costco.com/Disney-California-Adventure-Park-Fun-Pass-and-Collector-Pin.product.100310108.html 

Unsure if you actually need to be a member. 

Views
9 Comments
Add Comment
Still ridiculously expensive!!!

They are closing down Tower of Terror, so I guess they are trying "recover" any potential loss sales by selling this California Adventure pass [obviously not Disneyland admission]....
Great deal still for people who live closeby and can just "stop in" and enjoy the park occasionally through the season.

I happen to know a bit too much about Disney passes. I want to provide some useful information before anyone buys this unique pass. As noted, it is super expensive -- there is nothing that come close in price from competitors (USH via Costco is about $110, SeaWorld is $100, etc). However, Disney especially at its Anaheim properties have done much better than most of the properties worldwide in terms of popularity and growing attendance.

First, it does not appear to be an official Annual Pass (AP) as defined by Disneyland. It is considered a "Fun Pass" which does not equate you to any normal promotions or benefits granted to an Annual Passholder (as defined). This may matter to some, but maybe not others. Disney may change this policy, but the wording is intentional.

The biggest reason you SHOULD NOT buy this pass is the cost of parking each time ($18 per car). Annual parking pass is not available to new or existing passholders who don't already have it. You either need to budget this expense (on top of food and souvenirs) or find friends who have a Signature or higher (or have grandfathered parking). Parking will likely go up at some point to $19 or $20, probably by the holidays or early next year.

The blockout (not called blackout per Disney official lingo) dates are the same as the Disneyland Deluxe Annual Pass (currently $599, but based on the pricing of this new pass, it is likely the Deluxe will have a significant price increase later in 2016 or early 2017). That pass gives you access to both parks. So for this Fun Pass, you are paying more than half of the cost of the Deluxe pass and not getting even 50% of the park value. I would say that DL is probably still a full 75% of the value of visiting the Anaheim properties and DCA is 25% based on attractions, entertainment and time you would spend/split between the parks. This is an opinion, but I think it is a very fair perspective. At DCA, you will not get the following:

-fireworks
-existing Star Wars entertainment and rides
-Fantasmic (coming in summer 2017)
-Access to monorail
-Night time parades (coming in winter 2016 and 2017) (Yes, DCA has World of Color, but it is not as popular as the DL night time items)
-Original Disney attractions

There are a few interesting things at DCA including Cars Land, the upcoming Marvel plans (still go way beyond the end date of this pass though), Frozen broadway-quality show, adult beverages and some of the seasonal events, but I can't think of any frequent visitor who does not want to visit DL as well at some point.

It has been said that if you are local to SoCal, the SoCal Select pass is a better value (both parks) at the same current price (which is due for a rate increase). However, I recognize the much higher blockout dates on the Select pass are not as useful as this Fun Pass. If it is agreed that this pass is likely targeted to locals, but it is an experiment without necessarily being a good value. This is also why it has a short fuse for activation (less than three months left).

This is also not a really good or cheaper way to look at upgrading to a Deluxe or Signature (or higher) pass. Find discounted Disney gift cards available at certain warehouse stores and use those instead to buy Disney passes -- the upgrade method is not recommended by me.

Last note on the Costco aspect. It has been said that this item is stocked only at local SoCal Costcos. However, you can buy it online from Costco. It does not appear to require a membership to purchase nor is there a surcharge to purchase if you are not a member (sometimes Costco does this and was likely a Disney stipulation). Still, it doesn't make it a pass to consider for most people.

I am open to answering more questions about this DCA Fun Pass.

Rasheed

websta said:   Saves $400+

At most, you save about $300 when compared to a Deluxe pass that has access to both parks on same dates and only paying for "one-half" the access. However, most would agree the value is not 50-50 of a pass between the parks. I use 75/25, but others might be a bit more generous.

If you want to go to the DL park, you will need to pay full price for that visit.  At three DL visits, you should have bought a Deluxe pass instead.  If you can manage to only go once to DL and the rest only DCA, this pass might work (other conditions like parking already noted).

Rasheed

DCA is really only good if you plan to eat at all the restaurants and drink booze.  There are only a few rides and no real notable shows other than World of Color.

Jeomite said:   They are closing down Tower of Terror, so I guess they are trying "recover" any potential loss sales by selling this California Adventure pass [obviously not Disneyland admission]....
Great deal still for people who live closeby and can just "stop in" and enjoy the park occasionally through the season.

It's not closing, they are changing it to a Guardian of the Galaxy themed ride.

Also noteworthy that "First use of theme park admission must occur by December 1, 2016", but the blockout dates include generous chunk 11/24-11/26, 12/17, 12/19-12/31/16. No way to prolong the experience by starting the pass early January.

My wife and I just went yesterday after a 3 month absence. We started our Disneyland annual pass back in 1999 with $89 Deluxe passes. We were able to attend the soft openings of Downtown Disney and attend the DCA preview day...we took my sister-in-law who was 13 at the time. After 9/11, Disney dropped the price for the 2-park Premium pass to $125 since people were afraid to travel, and the economy was in a recession. In 2009, I upgraded my Premium pass to a pro-rated Premier pass that allowed me 3 months access to all the Florida parks as well as lodging and eatery discounts; the pass was listed at $600 but I essentially paid $375 since it was pro-rated.

After several price increases, negative experiences due to over-crowding (6 times in one year, the park was at full capacity), and the realization that we didn't go as often as we once did, we downgraded to the SoCal pass and retained a grandfathered parking pass. Currently, we spend $100 per month on Disneyland passes and parking for the two of us. It's not chump-change, but we don't pay an HOA, docking fees, a car payment, and we're saving $220 a month after refinancing our mortgage to a lower rate...$100 isn't bad for the experience it give us. Plus, we just discovered some pretty good boozy joints that enhance the experience.

If you don't have an annual pass, just park in Downtown Disney for 3 hours of free parking and enjoy Trader Sam's at the Disneyland Hotel. Drinks are about $12 and you'll feel like you're on vacation.

ams30 said:   
Jeomite said:   They are closing down Tower of Terror, so I guess they are trying "recover" any potential loss sales by selling this California Adventure pass [obviously not Disneyland admission]....

It's not closing, they are changing it to a Guardian of the Galaxy themed ride.

Closing Tower of Terror (it's never returning)
Re-opening same location as Guardians of Galaxy,while trying to retrofit the "falling elevator" into the new ride.

It's like when a business closes down, and a different business opens up in its spot. Verbiage is similar.
Sad to see it go, one of my personal favorite rides out of the two theme parks (and definitely my fave ride out of DCA).

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017