• filter:
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
Voting History
rated:
On the heels of their slip-up the other day, Amazon has gone ahead and actually released the second generation Echo Dot. New (low) price of $49.99. Ships October 20.

Put 6 in your cart and use code DOT6PACK to get 1 of them free. (Christmas shopping done, just like that.)

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01DFKC2SO/

Member Summary

echo dot (11.46kB)
Thanks BMWLVR82
Disclaimer
Most Recent Posts
Yeah and the whole Amazon is listening in on all your conversations. Glad I'm not running for president ...

jschuman (Oct. 14, 2016 @ 9:58p) |

Wait another 6 months or so and it'll probably drop another $10-15.

renaissanceman3 (Oct. 18, 2016 @ 11:33a) |

nice deal

paulled (Oct. 19, 2016 @ 5:05a) |

Staff Summary
Categorized in
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

rated:
$49.99 x 5 = $249.95 / 6 ~ $42 each. Guess it's a good time to sell echo n tap to get the dot.

rated:
What do people use these for? I know it's kinda like Siri, but do you really use this on a daily basis, and for what?

rated:
Used 1st gen Dot's are asked for 2x the orig price on eBay and new ones are asking for up to 5x the orig price on eBay.  Why?
I bought the 1st gen one and still have in NIB.  Just last night a friend told me that the value is going up on eBay for the 1st gen Dots.

rated:
gpinzone said:   What do people use these for? I know it's kinda like Siri, but do you really use this on a daily basis, and for what?
I use it to control Nest thermostat, some lights and fans with the wi-fi switches, and turn the TV/stereo on and off with Logitech Harmony remote, as well as listening to podcasts, getting weather forecasts, and adding items to a grocery list on the Ourgroceries app.  It's able to do a lot more, but that's what I use it for.  Without the wi-fi switches, Nest, and Harmony remote, It wouldn't be nearly as useful for me.

It really hasn't changed my life much, but it does make a few parts of it a little more convenient.  

I'll buy another Dot for the bedroom.  If I had a bigger house, I'd get another one for each area that wasn't within shouting distance.

Anyone know how the 2'nd gen Dots differ from the 1'st gen Dots?

rated:
varsitygamer said:   On the heels of their slip-up the other day, Amazon has gone ahead and actually released the second generation Echo Dot. New (low) price of $49.99. Ships October 20.

I'm curious... what was the slip-up?

rated:
They fired off a Tweet promoting a new model of the Dot, and then hurriedly deleted it.

http://thenextweb.com/gadgets/2016/09/13/amazon-prematurely-anno...

rated:
Does this require the "full" echo?

rated:
gremln007 said:   Does this require the "full" echo?
  No.  The Dots can work on their own.  They do everything the "full" Echos do, albeit with a smaller, weaker speaker.

rated:
Not sure if I should do another post but it's a pretty good deal with the bundles that they have available. I was looking to get the Ecobee 3 and this is essentially $50 off if you buy both.

rated:
sleepfaster said:   

https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=2020...

Volume buttons instead of volume ring, no power LED, and no dedicated reset button.  In other words, not much.  

rated:
sleepfaster said:   
gremln007 said:   Does this require the "full" echo?
  No.  The Dots can work on their own.  They do everything the "full" Echos do, albeit with a smaller, weaker speaker.

Not only that they can output directly to a speaker/stereo via headphone jack or bluetooth.

rated:
I am really trying to figure out why I need 1 of these, let alone 6.

I'm all about technology, but the wi-fi appliances, speakers, thermostats, lights, etc. just don't do it for me. I mean, I'm lazy, but not too lazy to flip on a light switch as I walk into a room. My thermostat is programmed; the one time a month I need to manually adjust it, I walk over to the wall. I'm positive it would take more time setting up, updating, & troubleshooting this thing than it takes to walk to a thermostat. *shrug*

rated:
mred53 said:   
sleepfaster said:   

https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=202080890

Volume buttons instead of volume ring, no power LED, and no dedicated reset button.  In other words, not much.  

I thought you could tell Echo to set it's own volume?  Or is that a difference between the full blown Echo and the smaller Dot?

rated:
kimgkimg said:   I thought you could tell Echo to set it's own volume?  Or is that a difference between the full blown Echo and the smaller Dot?

Yeah, you can.  That's how I've been doing it on my gen. 1 Dot.  I didn't even know about the volume ring till now.

rated:
I have one and on rare occasions I use it to tell me the weather and to stream music. Sure, I have the ability to turn on each individual lawn sprinkler zone and to adjust the Nest but I also have apps for those as well. The DOT just integrates these controls into one "better" unit.

rated:
I use my Tap more than may Echo for portability, however I wish it was voice controlled like the Echo.

rated:
I turn on my Philips Hue light verbally, which is helpful when my hands are full and turn the light off when I'm in bed & don't want to fumble for the knob. It can play all my Amazon prime music either through its own speaker or through a Bluetooth-connected speaker, so I have it play a playlist as I'm drifting off to sleep. I can set timers with it and also use it to get quick weather updates & forecasts. I expect its abilities to grow and just wanted to be an early adopter of the "intelligent assistant" movement.

rated:
AlwaysWrite said:   I am really trying to figure out why I need 1 of these, let alone 6.

I'm all about technology, but the wi-fi appliances, speakers, thermostats, lights, etc. just don't do it for me. I mean, I'm lazy, but not too lazy to flip on a light switch as I walk into a room. My thermostat is programmed; the one time a month I need to manually adjust it, I walk over to the wall. I'm positive it would take more time setting up, updating, & troubleshooting this thing than it takes to walk to a thermostat. *shrug*

Lol, I am kinda the same, I feel like it's a lot easier to just flip the switch, etc, that being said I found a few uses for home automation stuff: 
- Adjusting thermostat when we left home for a week and I totally forgot about it - saves some money being in Florida where A/C is running 24/7, and I can set it back to normal an hour or two before we are back, right from the car. I'd say the new thermostat already paid for itself in a year or so that I've had it.
- Door alarms in case the little one tries to get out on her own give us a variety of notifications
- Remote controlled garage opener lets me open the door for guests that arrive before we are home

rated:
wwwmaniac said:   
AlwaysWrite said:   I am really trying to figure out why I need 1 of these, let alone 6.

Lol, I am kinda the same, I feel like it's a lot easier to just flip the switch, etc, that being said I found a few uses for home automation stuff: 
- Adjusting thermostat when we left home for a week and I totally forgot about it - saves some money being in Florida where A/C is running 24/7, and I can set it back to normal an hour or two before we are back, right from the car. I'd say the new thermostat already paid for itself in a year or so that I've had it.
- Door alarms in case the little one tries to get out on her own give us a variety of notifications
- Remote controlled garage opener lets me open the door for guests that arrive before we are home

I could get off the couch to turn on or off the lights, but why?! Seriously, though, "Echo, turn on TV lights" to turn off the kitchen lights, dim the kitchen island lights, and dim the TV room lights is awesome. Also, "Echo, turn on/off the fireplace." And with the Harmony Elite, "Echo, turn on/off the TV" is nice. I find a lot of uses for it. Especially at $50. I paid $99 for my original Echo and then more for my Dot as well. I want one in every room now. 

Killer feature: Turning off the lights after I'm already in bed. Also, changing the speed of the ceiling fan without getting out of bed.

rated:
Not falling for this again. Thought I was getting a good deal with the buy 5 Amazon tab get 1 free and there was a better deal on black friday.

rated:
also you guys know this is basically a recording device that listens constantly to whatever conversations are in a room. Ultimate eavesdropping device.

rated:
TrueKnight said:   Not falling for this again. Thought I was getting a good deal with the buy 5 Amazon tab get 1 free and there was a better deal on black friday.
I've been waiting forever for the Dots to be back in stock. Don't want to wait another month after these will arrive for Black Friday.   

Since July. https://twitter.com/metsfan/status/753328655175192576

rated:
TrueKnight said:   also you guys know this is basically a recording device that listens constantly to whatever conversations are in a room. Ultimate eavesdropping device.
    Alexa !!   Please close Pandora's Box. 

rated:
metsfan said:   I've been waiting forever for the Dots to be back in stock. Don't want to wait another month after these will arrive for Black Friday.   

July, 2016, metsfan?  If that's forever, it's a good thing you're not a cubsfan.  

I only say that because I was one.  

rated:
sleepfaster said:   
metsfan said:   I've been waiting forever for the Dots to be back in stock. Don't want to wait another month after these will arrive for Black Friday.   

July, 2016, metsfan?  If that's forever, it's a good thing you're not a cubsfan.  

I only say that because I was one.  

Was? Not anymore? They've got as good a shot as they've ever had this year.  

rated:
Yeah, I know. I had to step back in 1969. My little eight year old heart just couldn't take it any more.

rated:
It looks like TP-Link (kasa app) devices are supported as well.

rated:
I have an Echo in the kitchen and use it for recipes, conversions (how many teaspoons in a cup, etc), and multiple timers for things cooking. We call up music, weather, etc. I have a Dot in the BR, and mostly my wife and I use it as a smart alarm clock, but also play music or ask questions. I am considering getting a 6-pack and giving them to my kids in their stockings for Christmas.

rated:
group buy anyone?
I don't need 5 but in true FW spirit, I don't feel comfortable paying retail.

rated:
These things are great for disabled folks and for bedridden folks. You can use these to control TVs, listen music, etc without touching anything.

rated:
sleepfaster said:   Yeah, I know. I had to step back in 1969. My little eight year old heart just couldn't take it any more.

That was a good year to be living in NYC.
Jets won SB III in January
Mets won the WS in October.

rated:
Echo Yakko, Wakko, and Dot.

rated:

I had an old pair of powered speakers that I have connected to our 1st gen Echo Dot.  My wife loved it when she was feeding our newborn because she could say "Alexa, play (insert song/playlist) on Spotify" and have music playing immediately.  The flash news briefings are great to listen to while getting ready in the mornings. And I can quickly set cooking timers or Google calendar events.   

rated:
Ordered two to add to one Echo and one Tap. We use the Echo in the kitchen for cooking timers, weather forecasts, flash briefings (news), playing Amazon Prime music, telling jokes, random Google-type questions, etc. The Tap is normally used as an alarm clock, with news and music. I wish the Tap would wake me up to music instead of its loud tones, but there may be an app (skill) for that.

rated:
I want one with a white base like in the pictures!

rated:
Good article comparing the different echo products:
Ecco comparisons

rated:
I can't believe people buy this crap! 

Automation on is nice to an extent, crap like this is laziness. 

rated:
LOL I can't believe anyone would call themselves steveoreno.

There is no laziness in using it for kitchen timers etc. In the kitchen Steve asking Alexa for the number of Oz in a cut is like you asking the husband the same question. It can really be a useful tool.

Skipping 47 Messages...
rated:
nice deal

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2016