posted 2 months ago by
dukerau
Senior Member - 1K

I have an Ooma Hub with no taxes (grandfathered).  Just got an email that Ooma is upgrading their network and Hub may experience reduced reliability, so they are offering me a Telo for $79.99 and letting me keep my no taxes/fees status for lifetime of the new device.  

Seems like a no-brainer, unless they are overplaying the reliability issue.  Anything I'm missing?

119 Comments
Add Comment
rated:
Can you keep your Ooma hub with one number, and activate the Ooma Telo with a 2nd number, yet still pay no taxes on that 2nd number every month?

rated:
centrifuge41 said:   Can you keep your Ooma hub with one number, and activate the Ooma Telo with a 2nd number, yet still pay no taxes on that 2nd number every month?
I doubt it; the email reads like it's an upgrade/replacement.
I'm not sure...   it does seem like a one time chance to move my no tax/ no fee account to something that should last longer... but also not entirely sure there's $80 of benefit, unless the hub really stops working.  $80 isn't even that great a sale on the device, so it's mostly the option to move the no fee account...

rated:
How about caller id NAME ? or will it be caller id NUMBER only ? Any idea..

rated:
Hope my Hub keeps going without the upgrade.

rated:
Just got this email and came here to see what others were thinking. On the one hand, getting the new hardware and continued free monthly service is appealing. OTOH, my old HUB has worked just fine and so I'm not sure if it's worth paying $80 for this. The threat of reliability issues with the old hardware seems concerning.

rated:
hipnetic said:   Just got this email and came here to see what others were thinking. On the one hand, getting the new hardware and continued free monthly service is appealing. OTOH, my old HUB has worked just fine and so I'm not sure if it's worth paying $80 for this. The threat of reliability issues with the old hardware seems concerning.
Agree.  Also concerned that if reliability issues crop up, it could be after the Oct 31 deadline for this offer.  I will probably bite.  There are additional features Telo offers, such as integration with Amazon Echo.  I wouldn't normally pay $80 just for those features, but to avoid any possible service issues, seems like a good deal.  Plus theoretically a new Telo will outlive a 5+ year old Hub, so prolonged free phone service (free after the $80 investment).

rated:
May be its time Ooma earns some more money from us original Hub owners . Jokes apart, does any one know how reliable is the Telo hardware? Will it last for 5 years like the Hub did?

rated:
I called the number in the offer to clarity two things:

1) Does the offer to waive taxes and fees stand if you have the customer has an (unregistered) Telo device already.
"No, the offer to waive the feeds is tied to the purchase of a new Telo device for $79.99, that will come pre-programmed to replace the Hub." It should also be noted that "lifetime" is defined by the lifetime of the hardware, not the account or account holder (but all us Ooma folks knew that).

2) What is the nature of the "reduced service reliability" that customers who stay with the Hub will experience?
There was no clear answer, just "Yes, it's such an old device we can't upgrade the firmware" and then some selling points about call quality with the Telo. I suspect that the email is 95% FUD since they couldn't really say how the network upgrades will negatively impact the Hub, if at all.

rated:
miteshm said:   May be its time Ooma earns some more money from us original Hub owners . Jokes apart, does any one know how reliable is the Telo hardware? Will it last for 5 years like the Hub did?

Pssh! I'm going on 7 years and 5 months on the Hub + Scout. I'll sure be sad if it stops working

rated:
Also, does anyone know what the actual feature differences are? The email states, "you'll enjoy better reliability and voice quality with PureVoice. Ooma Telo also supports HD Voice, integration with Amazon Echo, additional connectivity options like Bluetooth and Wi-Fi, and support for our whole family of accessories such as the Linx and HD2 Handset."

So what is PureVoice? Is there actually an improvement in sound quality compared to the older Hub model?

And I've read that the Telo only has Caller ID for the phone number and you have to pay extra for the Premier service to get name information on the Caller ID. That would suck.

I anyone calls in on this deal, it will be interesting to see if you can get any of the Premier services included for free.

rated:
My email stated that I would only get free taxes/fees for 3 years, not for lifetime...did that change??

rated:
jaredulr said:   My email stated that I would only get free taxes/fees for 3 years, not for lifetime...did that change??
Per discussion on that other deal site, there appear to be two variations on the offer: one with free lifetime service and one with only three years of free service. YMMV.

The above along with what features one gets (namely full caller ID) seem to be the biggest factors in how valuable this offer is.

I remain on the fence (Hub user since 2010). Since this offer is good until the end of October, I'm going to wait and see if/what new info and user experiences show up before deciding to upgrade or not.

rated:
I received a similar e-mail on 30 August; however, the terms of the offer at that time were "Plus, for a very limited time, we'll even waive the taxes and fees for 3 years!" For reference, I purchased the Oomacore in August, 2010. Ooma can define that the Telo product lifetime ends as of whatever date they want, so I'm not sure if I'd be better off with the "3 years" offer vs. the "life of the Telo" offer. Maybe Ooma has already determined that the two will coincide.

I took them up on the offer, and I can't say I notice a significant difference in service quality. The unit they sent me appeared to be new, but was packaged in a manner to suggest that it was intended as a warranty replacement. The package included a "Dear Ooma Customer" letter that opened with "We're sorry about any inconvenience your original Ooma device has caused you. Please follow the installation and return instructions below." The letter included "Installation Notes" which included a statement that the device was "preconfigured to work with your existing account - there is no need to activate it." This contradicts a sticker on the protective cellophane wrapping that warned "ACTIVATION REQUIRED" You MUST activate this device before you plug it in. Visit: www.ooma.com/activate Do not plug in this device until the activation process has been completed." I attempted to activate online, and as best I can recall I encountered an error and was unable to proceed with activation. The letter appears to have been correct in that regard, as the Telo went into service without confirmation of activation (required rebooting my cable modem). It seems to me that going into my Ooma account there was already an entry for the Telo.

The letter also included "Return Instructions" with the caution that "Failure to return the original Ooma device within 14 days from receipt of the replacement will result in charges to your credit card and / or suspension of your Ooma service." I was not previously made aware of any condition attached to the offer requiring me to return the original unit. A prepaid UPS Ground label had been included in the box. Given 1.) the contradictory information presented in the letter / packaging, and 2.) not having been made aware that return of the original Oomacore product was required under the terms of the offer, I have elected not to return the Oomacore product. Not enough time has passed for me to definitively state whether I will incur further charges or that my service will be suspended. I fully expect they will honor the terms of the offer that were first offered.

Caller ID seems to continue to work for me with the further difference that customized names for numbers that I had previously added as a contact in my Ooma account are now passed through via caller ID.  Otherwise, I still get a name associated with caller ID for numbers not listed as a contact. Edit: And to clarify, I do not have Ooma Premier service.

rated:
I felt very bad when my Ooma Hub died last year and they didn't let me upgrade to Telo and keep the no taxes
With heavy heart I moved to Obhi + GV (no tax and I can call international super cheap directly from my phone) ... and I don't see any difference.

Does anyone has opinion about Obhi + GV vs Ooma? Am I missing something with current setup?

rated:
Ooma Core customer here (no taxes or fees) since 2009, haven't gotten any emails about this yet.

FYI, here's a 2013 thread with a similar offer:
https://www.fatwallet.com/forums/deal-discussion/1253140

rated:
I got the email (lifetime waiver of fees) and have the same concerns as mentioned above. Based on Pokeineye's description, sounds like they will ship a refurb and when it dies (outside of warranty) the totally free service dies with it. If they were to toss in the wireless/bluetooth adapter, it would be much more attractive an offer. I may call to see if they will sweeten the deal.

rated:
DoonGuy said:   
... Does anyone has opinion about Obhi + GV vs Ooma? Am I missing something with current setup?

I had issues trying to fax using the old Ooma hub.  On the other hand, the Obihai 202 and Google Voice has been my temporary work-around on the rare occasion when I needed to send a fax.  Haven't yet had the need to try faxing with the Telo.

rated:
jayK said:   Ooma Core customer here (no taxes or fees) since 2009, haven't gotten any emails about this yet.

FYI, here's a 2013 thread with a similar offer:
https://www.fatwallet.com/forums/deal-discussion/1253140

I remember getting that offer, but I'd call it hardly similar, since it required moving to the plan with taxes and fees. This was really just getting a discount on the Telo device, and there have been many ways to get it discounted over the years. This offer is the first time I've ever heard of a way to use a Telo without paying taxes and fees, which is significant.

I'm glad I decided to pass on that previous offer, that's for sure.

rated:
Got the same email:
As one of our earliest customers, we'd like to offer a special opportunity to upgrade to our latest Ooma Telo device for just $79.99 with free shipping. Plus, we'll continue to waive the taxes and fees for the lifetime of your Telo device!

We don't use Ooma line often, so I think I'll hang on to the old Hub for now.

rated:
pokeineye said:   
DoonGuy said:   
... Does anyone has opinion about Obhi + GV vs Ooma? Am I missing something with current setup?

I had issues trying to fax using the old Ooma hub.  On the other hand, the Obihai 202 and Google Voice has been my temporary work-around on the rare occasion when I needed to send a fax.  Haven't yet had the need to try faxing with the Telo.

You need to add  a timing pause or two  I think it was just  ##   its in the book or on their website.  You have to wait for tyhe tones to stop then have the fax dial   I use my OBI +gv  for everything   the features are free while OOMA  wants $100 + for them

rated:
stevick said:   ... Based on Pokeineye's description, sounds like they will ship a refurb and when it dies (outside of warranty) the totally free service dies with it.  ...

Just to clarify, I'm not in a position to distinguish between a new vs. refurbished unit; however, the entire product / package appeared to me to be brand new (just not packaged for retail sale).

rated:
bb6619 said:   
pokeineye said:   
DoonGuy said:   

You need to add  a timing pause or two  I think it was just  ##   its in the book or on their website.  You have to wait for tyhe tones to stop then have the fax dial   I use my OBI +gv  for everything   the features are free while OOMA  wants $100 + for them

It was *99, but that still didn't work for me.  Reference: http://support.ooma.com/home/faxing-with-ooma

rated:
I got the offer too. I admit.. looks exciting!! Getting an upgraded device for less under the existing service... will wait until mid October to order.

rated:
pokeineye said:   
stevick said:   ... Based on Pokeineye's description, sounds like they will ship a refurb and when it dies (outside of warranty) the totally free service dies with it.  ...

Just to clarify, I'm not in a position to distinguish between a new vs. refurbished unit; however, the entire product / package appeared to me to be brand new (just not packaged for retail sale).

Could it be that they opened the box/package to activate the Telo?

rated:
funmin168 said:   
pokeineye said:   

Could it be that they opened the box/package to activate the Telo?

The package had only a *single* set of transparent security labels (in three locations), all of which were intact.  The label on the box includes a serial number, so I gather a scan of the bar code would have allowed the unit to be assigned to my account without opening.  Considering the documentation within, however, this SKU was obviously packaged as a replacement unit. FWIW, the package's legal copy includes a 2016 copyright date.

rated:
Happy Oooma hub (refurb.) user since 2009. Didn't receive the email. I hate when they semi force us to change the hardware. All those higher quality voice pitch sounds more like business opportunity for them and hardly noticeable for us. I believe the new encoding method requires the compatible receiving end otherwise it falls to the old method which can be 99% of the time.

rated:
I got the email today also. I don't recall seeing anything about the Telo they send out being refurb. I'd like to know, as that could impact my decision. Plus if it is a refurb, I can get one at Groupon for like $30 less.

Not sure what I'll do. Got my Hub/Core in 5/2010. I suspect there is either a security issue they don't want to have to patch on the old devices, or as others have said, it is just a way to get more money out of us early adoptors.

rated:
got the "lifetime" email today
I will be upgrading soon.

rated:
dukerau said:   I have an Ooma Hub with no taxes (grandfathered).  Just got an email that Ooma is upgrading their network and Hub may experience reduced reliability, so they are offering me a Telo for $79.99 and letting me keep my no taxes/fees status for lifetime of the new device.  

Seems like a no-brainer, unless they are overplaying the reliability issue.  Anything I'm missing?

I received the same email with the no taxes/fees for the lifetime of the new device.  If Ooma made several network infrastructure upgrades that unfortunately could cause Hub users to experience reduced service reliability due to the firmware limitations of the Hub, Ooma should provide customers a replacement hub (upgraded) for free.  Why should the customer have to pay for a replacement hub?

Would it be possible to order the hub but keep it as a backup (unactivated) and continue using the grandfathered device.  If it breaks, I swap it in at that time.

rated:
They quit making and supporting the hub a long time ago.  ... and as I understand it, if your original hub is ever deactivated you lose the "totally free" benefit upon reactivation of any device.

rated:
Most of us getting unlimited calling on our cell phones. If the Hub dies one day, one less clutter in the house. I won't upgrade for 80.00. Just wait for the Hub to die. Less annoying telemarketing phone calls.

rated:
hipnetic said:   Just got this email and came here to see what others were thinking. On the one hand, getting the new hardware and continued free monthly service is appealing. OTOH, my old HUB has worked just fine and so I'm not sure if it's worth paying $80 for this. The threat of reliability issues with the old hardware seems concerning.

I thought it was working fine, but I always get complaint from the other end saying unclear, and cut off. So an upgrade might be the thing to do ?....

rated:
stevick said:   They quit making and supporting the hub a long time ago.  ... and as I understand it, if your original hub is ever deactivated you lose the "totally free" benefit upon reactivation of any device.
  So if I buy Ooma Hub from eBay, I won't be able to continue getting a tax-free service?  

rated:
Instead of paying $80 to upgrade, wouldn't it better to buy Obi 200 for almost half the price? Linky

rated:
pokeineye said:   I received a similar e-mail on 30 August; however, the terms of the offer at that time were "Plus, for a very limited time, we'll even waive the taxes and fees for 3 years!" For reference, I purchased the Oomacore in August, 2010. Ooma can define that the Telo product lifetime ends as of whatever date they want, so I'm not sure if I'd be better off with the "3 years" offer vs. the "life of the Telo" offer. Maybe Ooma has already determined that the two will coincide.

I took them up on the offer, and I can't say I notice a significant difference in service quality. The unit they sent me appeared to be new, but was packaged in a manner to suggest that it was intended as a warranty replacement. The package included a "Dear Ooma Customer" letter that opened with "We're sorry about any inconvenience your original Ooma device has caused you. Please follow the installation and return instructions below." The letter included "Installation Notes" which included a statement that the device was "preconfigured to work with your existing account - there is no need to activate it." This contradicts a sticker on the protective cellophane wrapping that warned "ACTIVATION REQUIRED" You MUST activate this device before you plug it in. Visit: www.ooma.com/activate Do not plug in this device until the activation process has been completed." I attempted to activate online, and as best I can recall I encountered an error and was unable to proceed with activation. The letter appears to have been correct in that regard, as the Telo went into service without confirmation of activation (required rebooting my cable modem). It seems to me that going into my Ooma account there was already an entry for the Telo.

The letter also included "Return Instructions" with the caution that "Failure to return the original Ooma device within 14 days from receipt of the replacement will result in charges to your credit card and / or suspension of your Ooma service." I was not previously made aware of any condition attached to the offer requiring me to return the original unit. A prepaid UPS Ground label had been included in the box. Given 1.) the contradictory information presented in the letter / packaging, and 2.) not having been made aware that return of the original Oomacore product was required under the terms of the offer, I have elected not to return the Oomacore product. Not enough time has passed for me to definitively state whether I will incur further charges or that my service will be suspended. I fully expect they will honor the terms of the offer that were first offered.

Caller ID seems to continue to work for me with the further difference that customized names for numbers that I had previously added as a contact in my Ooma account are now passed through via caller ID.  Otherwise, I still get a name associated with caller ID for numbers not listed as a contact. Edit: And to clarify, I do not have Ooma Premier service.

are you sure you don't have 60 days free/trail premier service which they normally provide with all new equipment ?  

rated:
docjoo said:   
stevick said:   They quit making and supporting the hub a long time ago.  ... and as I understand it, if your original hub is ever deactivated you lose the "totally free" benefit upon reactivation of any device.
  So if I buy Ooma Hub from eBay, I won't be able to continue getting a tax-free service?  

That's right. The plan is specific to the device and is not transferable to a new device or user. 

rated:
I chatted with Ooma folks and they say the upgrade Telo unit is new, not refurbished. Telo does have the bluetooth capability (with optional adapter), so it does have some appeal. Anyone know if you can use a generic BT adapter rather than the ooma one (which has some bad reviews for inadequate range)?

rated:
Assumenothing said:   
pokeineye said:   I received a similar e-mail on 30 August; however, the terms of the offer at that time were "Plus, for a very limited time, we'll even waive the taxes and fees for 3 years!" For reference, I purchased the Oomacore in August, 2010. Ooma can define that the Telo product lifetime ends as of whatever date they want, so I'm not sure if I'd be better off with the "3 years" offer vs. the "life of the Telo" offer. Maybe Ooma has already determined that the two will coincide.

are you sure you don't have 60 days free/trail premier service which they normally provide with all new equipment ?  

Yes, I'm sure I don't have Premier even on a trial basis.  However, I'm presented with an "Activate Premier Trial" prompt (30-day trial) when I navigate in my account to a feature that requires Premier.

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2016