posted 48 years ago by
duke5150
Star of The Week

<:-PThe Disneyland Southern California Annual Pass is back

After discontinuing new sales two years ago, Disney is again offering the Southern California annual pass as part of its lineup of annual passholder options.
The price: $459

.ANAHEIM — The Southern California Annual Pass for Disneyland and Disney California Adventure is back.After discontinuing new sales two years ago, Disney is again offering this once-popular yearly pass as part of its lineup of annual passholder options. The price: $459.The pass is good for about 200 days at both theme parks. It’s not valid on Saturdays, holidays and some Sundays and summer days.“We are excited to offer that pass once again, based on availability,” Disneyland spokeswoman Cathi Killian said.

Disney had stopped selling new Southern California passes in 2014 to help manage crowds on Sundays at the theme parks. Those who had the pass could renew it annually.This year the park closed several attractions as it inches forward with plans to create a “Star Wars”-themed land. The park has just finished celebrating its 60th anniversary.The pass is available only to residents living in ZIP codes 90000 to 93599, from San Diego to north of San Luis Obispo.

http://www.dailynews.com/lifestyle/20160922/the-disneyland-south...

Views
20 Comments
Add Comment
459, they were only $150 in 2005! Disney is as bad and the pharmaceutical companies.

The one year I bought this I went like 2x. The crowds totally kill it.

I would pay $459 not to have to go to Disneyland... just sayin'

DontTreadOnMe said:   I would pay $459 not to have to go to Disneyland... just sayin'
  Wow, I'll take your $459 and tell you "you don't have to go to Disneyland."  I'm sure you're not alone.  Kids love it, parents are the ones who pay in more ways than one.

wwinters said:   459, they were only $150 in 2005! Disney is as bad and the pharmaceutical companies.
  My wife and I paid $129 for the two-park premium pass in 2002.  However, we understand why Disney jacked up the rates to their annual passes and we are surprised they are offering this pass again.  For every heavily used annual pass admission, Disney is losing margin from a non annual pass admittance they turn away when the parks reach capacity.  Secondly, it's not a great experience for full-price ticket holders when the park is completely full.  There's a growing contingent of annual passholders who go to the Disney parks every day.  There's one guy from Seal Beach, Ca who has gone for a consecutive 1,000 days.  I believe these folks are referred to as "Pass-holes," and they jam up the local streets and freeways when there's a special event because they are Disney fans and don't want to miss out.

maximizese said:   
wwinters said:   459, they were only $150 in 2005! Disney is as bad and the pharmaceutical companies.
  My wife and I paid $129 for the two-park premium pass in 2002.  However, we understand why Disney jacked up the rates to their annual passes and we are surprised they are offering this pass again.  For every heavily used annual pass admission, Disney is losing margin from a non annual pass admittance they turn away when the parks reach capacity.  Secondly, it's not a great experience for full-price ticket holders when the park is completely full.  There's a growing contingent of annual passholders who go to the Disney parks every day.  There's one guy from Seal Beach, Ca who has gone for a consecutive 1,000 days.  I believe these folks are referred to as "Pass-holes," and they jam up the local streets and freeways when there's a special event because they are Disney fans and don't want to miss out.

I stopped ever wanting to go there again after my experiences waiting in lines 20 years ago.

I don't recommend the pass, but if you're going to buy one here's a good tip. Get some extra days, especially high popularity days like Christmas, Thanksgiving weekend, etc by buying a multi day ticket. Before the end of the last day of the ticket upgrade it to one of these SoCal annual passes. You will get credit for the full $$ value of your ticket towards the pass.

This gives you access to 5 out of 13 days of blacked out Disneyland/CA Adventure with a 5 day ticket ($320). You could go over winter break a few times, then upgrade for $159 before the end of the 5th day to your annual pass, which will then be valid for a year (but subject to blackout dates).

...but both parks now offer fast passes and then there's the 3rd party app to check wait times for both parks.  Sorry, I *looove* that place.  Wish I could go more often than once every year or two, since I live in northern cal.

Stubtify said:   I don't recommend the pass, but if you're going to buy one here's a good tip. Get some extra days, especially high popularity days like Christmas, Thanksgiving weekend, etc by buying a multi day ticket. Before the end of the last day of the ticket upgrade it to one of these SoCal annual passes. You will get credit for the full $$ value of your ticket towards the pass.

This gives you access to 5 out of 13 days of blacked out Disneyland/CA Adventure with a 5 day ticket ($320). You could go over winter break a few times, then upgrade for $159 before the end of the 5th day to your annual pass, which will then be valid for a year (but subject to blackout dates).

Good tip, but just to clarify, using the ticket will get you in on the blackout days, but it won't extend the annual pass expiration.  When you upgrade to an annual pass, the annual pass expiration is based on the first day you used the original ticket.

Disneyland has become a hangout and day care for the locals. A place for them to go when there's nothing else to do.

Where can I buy discounted one day pass ?? I could not find any discount on one day tickets.

Traditional TV programming is just stuff to fill time between commercials.
Same for Disney rides, simply fills time between opportunities to spend more money on souvenirs and food.

Best Buy sells Disney gift cards...

What's the difference between the pharmaceutical company and Disneyland?  One created a evil lab rat and the other makes medicine.

Sorry.  Happy Friday.

LAwoodtiger said:   

What's the difference between the pharmaceutical company and Disneyland?  One created a evil lab rat and the other makes medicine.

Sorry.  Happy Friday.

Big Difference!

Both are drugs : One item makes things that save people's lives.  The other one makes people happy for about 24 hours. 

Disneyland can raise their price to $10,000 per ticket and the government can't stop them or even call them in for a 'hearing'.

I remember when I won some No Restriction passes way back in 2000.  Cost about $300 and the So Cals at the time were $99. /sigh
Now So Cals are $450 and No Restrictions are $1000.

I had annual passes back in the early 1990's. The cost (with some restrictions) was just over the price of three regular priced tickets, so this is more expensive even when adjusted for inflation. We lived about 15 minutes away and would often drop in late in the afternoon or early evening for a 1-3 hour visit. An annual pass is great for this and when you go this often, you really don't want to go on the very busy days that are blacked out.

Shows $329 on their website.

forbin4040 said:   
LAwoodtiger said:   

Sorry.  Happy Friday.

Both are drugs : One item makes things that save people's lives.  The other one makes people happy for about 24 hours. 

Pharmaceutical drugs kill as many as they save.  Being happy is the better pill.

While the number is not released officially in any capacity, there have been rumors that indicate a million Passholders with access to the Anaheim parks (this would include those who have the local SoCal pass types - Select and this one, Deluxe, Signature, Signature + and Premier).

Clearly, Disney has seen a number of people not renew their pass in recent years to allow this pass to be reintroduced for locals. While there are constant rumors about Disneyland management wanting to reduce the number of Passholders, there is NO EVIDENCE of that all. All they do is keep raising prices. The reintroduction of this pass (two years it was on hiatus and available for renewal only) and the newish DCA Fun Pass indicate that Disney does have some short-term revenue concerns. There is NO OTHER reason to introduce these passes. There are over 11 million people who live in the targeted SoCal area.

As I mentioned in the DCA Fun Pass thread (you need not be a local to get that pass), the biggest reason to not get these passes is the cost of parking. It is currently $18 per car and these level of passes do not allow an annual parking pass to be added unless you already have one from a few years prior.

October is a possible time for Disneyland to raise the price of its Annual Passes -- everyone should be aware of that situation. It does appear that there is some demand elasticity happening and the company may have met some pricing issues and became too aggressive in its pricing strategies (including the removal of discounted tickets from many channels and variable pricing). By the way, we have seen Universal have significant problems with its Annual Passholder programs including the reintroduction of 'lower cost' passes, the sudden removal of blackout dates in certain months and shifting of park benefits to lower pass thresholds. These programs appear to be necessary for the theme park industry to reach attendance and revenue (mostly food/retail spending) thresholds.

I believe on many days over half of the park in the Anaheim attendance are Passholders. It definitely weakens the once a year, out of town visitor experience.

I believe this specific pass (which has certain zip code residency requirements) is currently $459 for new Passholders and is only available at renewal time for existing Passholders who have a different level (with a $20 discount). This pass is known for its Sundays access.  The advice to get a regular park ticket and use it for a few 'blockout days' then upgrade to this pass on the last day is valid, but there are no major blockout days until November and December at this point.

For planning, summer 2017 is the return of Fantasmic and the Railroad.  Sometime in 2018 (probably 2H) will be the opening of Star Wars Land at Disneyland (not a separate ticket).  So, you would have to renew this pass another year at then current prices after this one to get access to Star Wars Land.  I suggest people plan a Disneyland trip for sometime in mid to late 2018 (or 2019) and consider many other entertainment options until then rather than starting with this pass.

Rasheed

My cousin, her kids, her friend, and her friend's kids all had passes for the preschool years. They'd go at least twice a week, year round. Some kids went to the park. Their kids went to THE park.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017