posted 48 years ago by
eddierd

I was looking on Hotwire and I am seeing that they are quoting car rentals in TIJ (Tijuana airport) for $1.00 US dollar per day, I am checking the week of thanksgiving. The other agencies like Dollar are quoting things like $3 dollars.

Reading online it seems that you will need to buy some mandatory insurance

Anyone has experience with rental in Mexico?

Views
7 Comments
Add Comment
You WILL be forced to buy their insurance at $30+ per day or they will not let you have the car.  End of story.

eddierd said:   I was looking on Hotwire and I am seeing that they are quoting car rentals in TIJ (Tijuana airport) for $1.00 US dollar per day, I am checking the week of thanksgiving. The other agencies like Dollar are quoting things like $3 dollars.

Reading online it seems that you will need to buy some mandatory insurance

Anyone has experience with rental in Mexico?

Yup.

As bigeye said, insurance will jack up the rate--- I rented a car from Hertz a Cancun International Airport in 2006, and would NEVER rent a car in Mexico EVER again.
Oddly enough, I was not forced to purchase insurance, but I did purchase it last minute--- and was glad I did.

I was driving from Cancun Airport to south of Playa Del Carmen, and was rear-ended in Playa Del Carmen at a stoplight. At the time, one did not need a Passport to visit Mexico-- just a birth certificate and driver's license. It was a horrible ordeal--- my only ID was taken from me--- my U.S. Driver's license--- immediately upon Playa Del Carmen Police coming to the accident scene. It was a 4 hour ordeal, and ultimately was told by the police chief because my rental car did not have an insurance sticker on it, I would need to pay a 200 Peso fine. Immediately upon payment in U.S. Dollars, he smiled, took the $20 dollars, immediately returned my license and had a representative from Hertz Playa Del Carmen there pick me up with a van--- rental car was impounded. Beyond the $20 fine--- err-- bribe--- I was not responsible for any monetary damage on the car rental due to getting full coverage--- which increased by $60 total rental to $460--- but was worth every penny.

Never had a car accident in the U.S before hand, and not one in the U.S. since the car rental accident in 2006. [My driving record also includes over 100+ days of total U.S. car rentals in the past 10 years-- without an incident]

Don't rent a car in Mexico. EVER!!!

I did not pay for insurance renting from Hertz in Cancun. $45 for 10 days, my personal best.

A good roundup: https://www.tripadvisor.com/Travel-g150768-c115565/Mexico:Rentin...

Only drive in Mexico if you have to. If you don't have the insurance to cover an accident, you can be jailed until you can figure out how to cover it. I'd pass.

Do rentals come with a body in the trunk or does that occur after you leave the airport?

I have driven thousands of miles in Mexico and paid a number of of fines on the spot. My favorite was when I had 7 young ladies in the front of my Nissan pickup. Cops said I didn't have enough seatbelts we negotiated a $3 fine and the cops stopped at the next liquor store in front of us. The worst was some serious federallies that dismantled the pickup and left me in the desert without any cash.

I think you should feel free to drive in Mexico if you are certain of the safety of the area you are driving in. I would drive a car anywhere in Mexico if I felt safe being at that location. I stopped going to Mexico in 2006 as the violence increased.

I mostly drove my vehicle and had to buy insurance at the border.

I have rented in Acapulco and Mexico City and never had to buy extra insurance on a rental.

I rent from Sixt. Mandatory insurance is always included with rental as it is stated on their website.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017