Avatar
posted 47 years ago by
titewad
Senior Member - 8K

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/boost-mobile-motorola-moto-e-4g-with...

At the present time, this phone can't be used on Ringplus because of FED check. Who knows what will happen in the future.  Can't hurt to pick it up cheap.

You CAN use this phone without cell phone service over wifi with Google Voice or some other SIP provider, and also as a GPS.

Qualcomm Processor1.2GHz Qualcomm quad-core processor with 1GB RAM for reliable performance.
Android 5.0 Lollipop operating systemAllows you to stay connected and productive on the go.
4G LTE speedLets you download apps, stream entertaining and useful content, surf the Web and access social media while you're out and about.
Wi-Fi 802.11b/g/n networkFor easy wireless Web connection at home or on the go.
Bluetooth interfaceEnables simple wireless pairing with compatible devices.
4.5" TFT qHD capacitive touch screenWith 960 x 540 resolution allows simple navigation of features and content and showcases media in crisp detail.
8GB internal memoryProvides space for storing apps, contacts and other digital data. A microSD card slot accepts cards up to 32GB for simple storage expansion (card not included).
5.0MP rear-facing cameraMakes it easy to preserve special moments. The VGA front-facing camera lets you capture sharp self-portraits.
GPSHelps you find your way in unfamiliar locations.
HD VoiceAlong with Motorola Assist, Migrate and Alert for enhanced functionality.
Next RadioAllows you to stay entertained on the go.
* Phone activation required before use.

Views
21 Comments
Add Comment
Who's going to ask first?

Unlocking this for use on other carriers will be difficult as this is the CDMA (Sprint) version. Boost will provide the MSL unlock code for active customers, which I am assuming none of us looking at this deal are.

https://www.boostmobile.com/support/faq/phones-devices/unlocking...

This person was able to use the phone in Canada without rooting the device. http://techhometravel.com/unlocking-moto-e-2nd-gen-xt1526-boost-...

chubbypops said:   Who's going to ask first?
Can it be used on RingPlus?

marcopolomle said:   
chubbypops said:   Who's going to ask first?
Can it be used on RingPlus?

  OP already addressed this.. 

Thinking of picking it up as a dedicated GPS with Here maps since my Windows phone's Here Maps is no longer supported.

Lugs said:   
marcopolomle said:   
chubbypops said:   Who's going to ask first?
Can it be used on RingPlus?

  OP already addressed this.. 

  The CDMA carriers, mainly Verizon and Spri t work from "Whitelists" of phone device IDs.    In addition to phones being on their Whitelists, submitted by manufacturers as being compatible with their networks both hardware and approved firmware, they have FED checks.   FED checks insure that a carrier subsidized phone is activated on the particular carrier for at least 12 months (for Sprint, boost, Virgin Mobile) and clear of any contract or amount due before it can be used outside of the particular service it was subsidized for.   For example a Verizon Pre-paid phone cannot be used on a post paid plan unless it has been used for at least 90 days I believe.   With Boost, VM, Sprint Pre-paid, it's 12 months.  If you buy a new one you have to activate it and use it for 12 months befor you can activate it on RingPlus, Ting, freedom pop, etc.
 

marcopolomle said:   Thinking of picking it up as a dedicated GPS with Here maps since my Windows phone's Here Maps is no longer supported.
  Here Maps and Here Drive are both still working for me on WP, who knows for how long. I have recently had a couple of other apps just quit and no updates available. This one is nice and chubby though. 

Will wait and see what BF has regarding pre-paid cell phones, should be a nice selection.

mbrenner said:    For example a Verizon Pre-paid phone cannot be used on a post paid plan unless it has been used for at least 90 days I believe.  
 

From what I've read, you only have to pay for a month of service.

nyseGUY said:   Will wait and see what BF has regarding pre-paid cell phones, should be a nice selection.
  Considering the Verizon version of this phone was on sale on BF at BB for $10 that's a good plan.

These were nice in that once activated, I got a message they had been unlocked, and they worked like a charm oversees (in conjunction with "network" app that gave access to a menu to switch radio from CDMA to GSM).  

Does anybody know whether they're in fact unlocked even before being activated, or whether Sprint/Ringplus just felt "generous" with these phones?  DW is travelling abroad, and we're looking for a cheap unlocked GSM phone,  (Kids on foreign trips took "care"  of two phones, DH playing around with network app to figure out why 4G wasn't working in Italy destroyed GSM function on the a third Moto E.)

m2go said:   These were nice in that once activated, I got a message they had been unlocked, and they worked like a charm oversees (in conjunction with "network" app that gave access to a menu to switch radio from CDMA to GSM).  

Does anybody know whether they're in fact unlocked even before being activated, or whether Sprint /Ringplus just felt "generous" with these phones?  DW is travelling abroad, and we're looking for a cheap unlocked GSM phone,  (Kids on foreign trips took "care"  of two phones, DH playing around with network app to figure out why 4G wasn't working in Italy destroyed GSM function on the a third Moto E.)

  
unlock policies: http://www.prepaidphonenews.com/2013/10/get-your-prepaid-phone-u... From the info in that link it appears they need to be activated first.

I'm looking for a dedicated GPS. However as I'm not familiar with Here Maps and Here Drive, I looked up the Android version of Here Maps. Apparently as of July 27, 2016 Here Maps is now being called  Here WeGo. And Here WeGo which is compatible with Android 6 can't be used in offline mode for routing.  Since I'm not planning to hook the Moto E with cellular service, not sure this can be used as a dedicated GPS anymore.  I'm assuming that in the previous versions, all the maps and routing capability was stored on the phone memory itself.

Any ideas?

tiggla01 said:   I'm looking for a dedicated GPS. However as I'm not familiar with Here Maps and Here Drive, I looked up the Android version of Here Maps. Apparently as of July 27, 2016 Here Maps is now being called  Here WeGo. And Here WeGo which is compatible with Android 6 can't be used in offline mode for routing.  Since I'm not planning to hook the Moto E with cellular service, not sure this can be used as a dedicated GPS anymore.  I'm assuming that in the previous versions, all the maps and routing capability was stored on the phone memory itself.

Any ideas?

  Google maps is pre-installed on the phone and works as a standalone GPS, provided you enter the destination while connected to the internet before departing.

titewad said:   
tiggla01 said:   I'm looking for a dedicated GPS. However as I'm not familiar with Here Maps and Here Drive, I looked up the Android version of Here Maps. Apparently as of July 27, 2016 Here Maps is now being called  Here WeGo. And Here WeGo which is compatible with Android 6 can't be used in offline mode for routing.  Since I'm not planning to hook the Moto E with cellular service, not sure this can be used as a dedicated GPS anymore.  I'm assuming that in the previous versions, all the maps and routing capability was stored on the phone memory itself.

Any ideas?

  Google maps is pre-installed on the phone and works as a standalone GPS, provided you enter the destination while connected to the internet before departing.

  But you'll have to download the maps for your trip for offline use since maps are not on the phone.

chubbypops said:   
marcopolomle said:   Thinking of picking it up as a dedicated GPS with Here maps since my Windows phone's Here Maps is no longer supported.
  Here Maps and Here Drive are both still working for me on WP, who knows for how long. I have recently had a couple of other apps just quit and no updates available. This one is nice and chubby though. 

Recently it quit on me on the highway both ways. Luckily I had a backup plan and downloaded the Google maps for the trip on my not so chubby LG Volt.
So, Here Maps on WP is practically dead for me and I'm looking for alternatives. Till then Google Maps have to do.

tiggla01 said:   And Here WeGo which is compatible with Android 6 can't be used in offline mode for routing. 
Are you sure it can't be used offline?
HereWeGo said: EVERYTHING YOU NEED TO KEEP MOVING.
HERE WeGo means you’ll have alternatives when delays are slowing others down. Live traffic and public transport information keeps you in the know, so you have the flexibility to stay on the go no matter what happens. You can even choose to download maps, so HERE WeGo keeps working if you’re in an area with no signal.

 
HereWeGo said: INTERNATIONAL COVERAGE
HERE WeGo has offline maps of the United States, the United Kingdom, Germany, France, Spain, Italy, Canada, Australia and more than 100 other countries around the world. Download the map you want and you’re set!


 

marcopolomle said:   
chubbypops said:   
marcopolomle said:   Thinking of picking it up as a dedicated GPS with Here maps since my Windows phone's Here Maps is no longer supported.
  Here Maps and Here Drive are both still working for me on WP, who knows for how long. I have recently had a couple of other apps just quit and no updates available. This one is nice and chubby though. 

Recently it quit on me on the highway both ways. Luckily I had a backup plan and downloaded the Google maps for the trip on my not so chubby LG Volt.
So, Here Maps is practically dead for me and I'm looking for alternatives. Till then Google Maps have to do.

  
Also happened to two of my LG Volts.  Here Maps works on my Moto E without any issue.  Think it's Volt GPS issue..  

frahuang said:   
marcopolomle said:   
chubbypops said:   
marcopolomle said:   Thinking of picking it up as a dedicated GPS with Here maps since my Windows phone's Here Maps is no longer supported.
  Here Maps and Here Drive are both still working for me on WP, who knows for how long. I have recently had a couple of other apps just quit and no updates available. This one is nice and chubby though. 

Recently it quit on me on the highway both ways. Luckily I had a backup plan and downloaded the Google maps for the trip on my not so chubby LG Volt.
So, Here Maps is practically dead for me and I'm looking for alternatives. Till then Google Maps have to do.

  
Also happened to two of my LG Volts.  Here Maps works on my Moto E without any issue.  Think it's Volt GPS issue..  

Good to know but I was talking about HERE Maps on my Window phone.
I didn't try it on my LG Volt yet but will try it out and see if it works or not.

marcopolomle said:   Thinking of picking it up as a dedicated GPS with Here maps since my Windows phone's Here Maps is no longer supported.
  
Here continues to support HERE Maps on Windows Phone 8.1. On Windows 10, the same map data is used in the Microsoft Maps app for turn-by-turn, so you're not missing anything on either platform. The Windows 10 Maps app has feature parity with HERE and uses the same data format. It just became redundant for HERE to rebuild a Windows 10 app when Microsoft was already doing that work. MS co-licensed HERE Maps data as part of the breakup between the two.

In fact, HERE even backdated their maps several months ago to Symbian and MeeGo phones, though I don't know if they plan on doing that again in the future.

Here Maps and Here Drive are both still working for me on WP, who knows for how long.
I have an old WP8.1 (maybe a 520 or 521?) which I haven't powered on for a while, with HERE Maps which I haven't updated. I'm hoping it will still have spoken street names as long as I don't update it, I guess I should try. Since they removed spoken street names from the HERE app on Android, I don't have much use for it (though I keep it on my main phone in case I need something offline). If the Microsoft Maps still has spoken street names I might keep an eye out for a newer WP10 phone at BF.

Can anyone confirm this about Microsoft Maps, and more importantly if they plan to keep spoken street names if they still have it? Microsoft Store doesn't mention it.

Thanks!
=aw



Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017